View Full Version : 2008 Penn State Football Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

SteelCityMan786
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/08300/923068-13.stm
PSU Football: Ends jinx in Columbus with 13-6 win
Sunday, October 26, 2008
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The 'Shoe finally fit.

No. 3 Penn State kept alive its perfect season last night, as well as its national championship hopes, rallying for a 13-6 victory against No. 10 Ohio State.

The Nittany Lions (9-0, 5-0) took sole possession of first in the Big Ten Conference by beating the Buckeyes (7-2, 4-1) at the Horseshoe for the first time in the past 30 years.

"I'm happy for the kids," said coach Joe Paterno, who worked from the coaches' booth for the fourth consecutive game. "I'm really glad to see that they showed their poise. You need to do this in a game like this.

"We played the kind of game we needed to play."

Penn State, which had lost seven consecutive games to the Buckeyes on the road, trailed for the first time all season after three quarters. But the Nittany Lions were able to erase that 6-3 deficit by scoring 10 points in the final 15 minutes before a record crowd of 105,711.

Backup quarterback Pat Devlin scored on a 1-yard sneak with 6:25 left, and Kevin Kelly added a 35-yard field goal with 1:07 to play as the Lions improved to 4-0 on the road this season.

Penn State, which had been averaging 45.4 points and 482.1 yards per game, managed just 13 points and 281 yards of offense -- both season lows.

Devlin's short scoring run in the fourth quarter accounted for just the Lions' sixth touchdowns in their past eight trips to the Horseshoe.

Devlin was subbing for starter Daryll Clark, who was shaken up on the previous series.

Clark completed 12 of 20 passes for 121 yards before departing.

Devlin also engineered the drive that resulted in Kelly's second field goal.

"How many times have I told you guys Devlin's a good football player?" asked Paterno. "We're lucky to have two, maybe three. ... "Devlin is a good football player. I expected him to play well."

Pryor, the talented freshman quarterback from Jeannette, suffered his first loss in six starts before a record crowd of 105,711.

It was his fumble that led to Penn State's winning score -- the Devlin touchdown.

Penn State cornerback Lydell Sargeant's intercepted Pryor's final pass in the end zone with 27 seconds remaining to seal the win.

The Lions held Ohio State to 61 yards rushing, and tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells was limited to 55 on 22 carries -- a 2.5 average. Pryor finished 16 of 25 for 226 yards.

"We did not run the ball nearly as well as we needed to," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said.

Devlin's touchdown was set up by strong safety Mark Rubin's huge defensive play with 10:38 left.

Rubin hit Pryor, who was trying to pick up a yard on a sneak. The ball popped loose, and outside linebacker Navorro Bowman recovered at Ohio State's 38.

"I think he saw a couple of gaps for penetration and tried to slide outside and a helmet hit the ball," Tressel said. "It was unfortunate."

Kelly, who kicked a 31-yard field goal in the second quarter to give Penn State a 3-0 lead, had a chance to tie the score, 6-6, just 47 seconds into the fourth quarter, but his 45-yard field-goal attempt was wide right.

Aaron Pettrey's second field goal, a 36-yarder, with 3:19 remaining in the third quarter had given the Buckeyes their only lead at 6-3.

Pryor converted third-down passes of 6 and 17 yards to wide receivers Dane Sanzenbacher and Brian Robiskie in the drive.

Pettrey's 41-yard field goal on the final play of the second quarter forged a 3-3 tie at halftime as both offenses struggled and the teams combined for seven punts.

Ohio State had 147 yards of offense to Penn State's 144. Wells managed 11 yards on just 10 carries in the opening half, and the Lions' Evan Royster had 21 yards on seven rushes, although he finished with 77 yards on 19 carries.

Pryor completed 9 of 14 passes for 131 yards in the first half and Clark was 8 of 14 for 91. Sanzenbacher was the leading receiver with four catches for 76 yards.

Penn State's top three wideouts -- Deon Butler, Jordan Norwood and Derrick Williams combined for only four catches for 9 yards in the first half and finished with a combined six catches for 28 yards.

The Lions had taken a 3-0 lead with 1:33 left in the second quarter on Kelly's 13th field goal of the year. Clark, constantly pressured by the Buckeyes, was responsible for two big plays on the 11-play, 76-yard drive.

On a third-and-1 play from the Penn State 31, he picked up a critical first down on a short sneak. On the next play, Clark lofted a 49-yard pass to wide receiver Graham Zug, giving the Lions a first down at the Ohio State 19.

Just as he threw the pass, Clark was hit by Buckeyes defensive tackle Cameron Heyward.

NOTES -- Rubin led Penn State with 11 tackles, while Bowman had 10. ... Penn State's Drew Astorino started at free safety in place of Anthony Scirrotto (mild concussion). Scirrotto returned punts and played in the secondary in the first quarter. ... Zug's 49-yard reception was a career long. ... Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James was on sideline, urging on the Buckeyes.

KeiselPower99
10-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Great victory for PSU.

SteelCityMan786
10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Great victory for PSU.

Yeah, I'm wondering how some of the students are. There were riots last night all over College Avenue.

lilyoder6
10-26-2008, 04:07 PM
i bet that it was a crazy crazy night in State college.. i think that this is a good week to have a bye... get evryone rested after those 3 stretch games of wiscy,mi, and osu.. and good rest is needed here

SteelCityMan786
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
i bet that it was a crazy crazy night in State college.. i think that this is a good week to have a bye... get evryone rested after those 3 stretch games of wiscy,mi, and osu.. and good rest is needed here

Not to mention that can help prevent a hangover at Iowa.

revefsreleets
10-26-2008, 07:33 PM
There is no team left on the schedule that is even half as good as OSU.

I'm sure Alabama will lose a game. Texas may as well, although they are playing pretty tight football. PSU just needs to take care of business and they WILL play for the NC game.

Personally, best case scenario for me would be PSU beating USC in some other game than the Rose Bowl.

lilyoder6
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDlaWFeilE

i think that this video that abc did was amazing...

Carolina Steelers
11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Penn State Still 3rd in BCS standing after Texas lost, Texas Tech junps up 5 spots to keep PSU at 3rd.

SteelCityMan786
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Penn State Still 3rd in BCS standing after Texas lost, Texas Tech junps up 5 spots to keep PSU at 3rd.

I think one of those teams drops a game. Oklahoma State has been every Big XII team's worst nightmare this season. Plus Alabama has to still play LSU and Florida. They're not exactly playing bad at all.

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Agre completely. I have PSU/Uf in the title game, although UF isn't a shoe-in...

GoFins11
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Agre completely. I have PSU/Uf in the title game, although UF isn't a shoe-in...

As of right now, I don't think anybody is a shoe in. BCS is a tricky beast.

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
As of right now, I don't think anybody is a shoe in. BCS is a tricky beast.

PSU will be the only legitimate BCS conference undefeated, and there's no way they get shut out of the big dance. Have you seen the remainder of their schedule?

GoFins11
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
PSU will be the only legitimate BCS conference undefeated, and there's no way they get shut out of the big dance. Have you seen the remainder of their schedule?

Michigan State will be an interesting game.

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 01:01 PM
It's in Happy Valley. PSU will want to put an exclamation point on their bid for the NCG. PSU will roll...

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
It's in Happy Valley. PSU will want to put an exclamation point on their bid for the NCG. PSU will roll...

That's what WVU said about Pitt. Look what happened.

revefsreleets
11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
That's what WVU said about Pitt. Look what happened.

That was Pitt and WVU. Perennial B teams. This is big time REAL football.

PSU will roll.

GoFins11
11-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Stranger things have happened.

Hammer67
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Stranger things have happened.

They have but MSU's history in Happy Valley is telling...

I don't thing PSU slips up from here on out...it will be fun to watch. I was always defending Joe the past 6 or 7 years when everyone (even my brother, also a PSU alum) said the game passed him by. Now I don't hear shite from anyone! LOL!

revefsreleets
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
MSU is a really good football team.

PSU is a great football team.

They are at home, and a shot at the national championship is on the line. I don't know how much JoePa actually coaches anymore...when they showed him up in the booth against OSU he didn't seem to be saying too much, but he's still the inspirational leader of that team. There's no way he let's that team lose it's edge these last few weeks...

Hammer67
11-04-2008, 12:26 PM

They are at home, and a shot at the national championship is on the line. I don't know how much JoePa actually coaches anymore...when they showed him up in the booth against OSU he didn't seem to be saying too much, but he's still the inspirational leader of that team. There's no way he let's that team lose it's edge these last few weeks...

Actually...he has always traditionally let his coordinators coach day to day stuff...not because he is older. He did this in the 70's and 80's as well. That is more a media talking point for the "Joe must go" crowd. They say he has much more input on the flow of the game from the box since he has been up there as Galen Hall (OC) and Jay Paterno (QBC) call the plays and they are up there.

THe down side is that Joe is the gameday manager from the sidelines...that is what they are missing with him in the box. But Tom Bradley (my pick for next HC) does a fine job when Joe is upstairs.

SteelCityMan786
11-04-2008, 06:07 PM

You got that right.

Penn State ESPECIALLY since 2005 has been no easy task at home.

atlsteelers
11-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I am hoping that PSU, Texas Tech, and Alabama all go undefeated and that PSU will be left out of the BCS title game. That way maybe - just maybe the Big 10 may come around to a college playoff!

revefsreleets
11-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, if TT and Bama go undefeated, there is NO QUESTION that PSU should be left out under the current system. PSU just didn't have anything close to approaching the SOS they'd need, and scheduling Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, Syracuse and Temple as OOC games don't help.

Sure, the SEC teams won't sign on to play big ten teams in OOC, but most of the major players from all the other conferences will. Even ONE marquee match-up with a BCS conference powerhouse and they'd have a legit gripe, but there just wasn't a worthy OOC opponent on their schedule this year. It kept Auburn out (and rightly so) and it would (and should) keep the Lions out, too.

HOWEVER, there is almost no chance Bama and TT run the table, so we can forget allt he hypotheticals. Lions win out and await their foe...

Hammer67
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
God I hope so...I would love nothing more then to see Joe ride off on the wave a National Championship game

rbryan
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Check every team and tell me they don't schedule 2 or 3 creampuffs every year.

I'll give you Coastal Carolina, Temple and even Syracuse(even though they are a legit program that's down the past several years. They weren't this bad when we made the deal to play them) and OBTW didnt Orgegon State beat USC??

Nothing JoePa can do about the Big 10 sched. I guess to the casual fan any year that Michigan isn't a force means the whole Conference is down?? But when SEC powers like Tenn, Auburn, etcc are down its only because they rest of the conf is soooooo good.....right

Crow all you want about how great the SEC is. They're no better across the board than the Big 10. The Big 12 has some talent, no doubt. But what kind of football are they playing in the Big 12???? If you like arena football (or Fantasy FB) you'll love the Big 12. So much for the old addage that defense wins championships.........Nobody plays defense in the Big 12.

lilyoder6
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
oo.. ttu played Eastern Washington, nevada ,SMU and Massachusetts.. wow.. what ooc games they played

bama played Clemson Atlanta, Tulane, Western Kentucky, Arkansas State .. oooooo they played some tough ones........

i would have to say that psu ooc are harder then theres...... and the BIG diff... is that oregan state beat USC

Hammer67
11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, perception is everything, and OSU losing the last two Championship games did tarnish the Big 10...whether it makes sense or not.

atlsteelers
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
i doubt that either Alabama or TT runs the table but thats what i am hoping for. so that probally means that alabama loses to lsu this saturday.

OSU losing in the past two title games and losing to USC, illionios getting hammered by USC, and UM falling to pieces has really hurt PSU chances. Thats why we need the playoff system, so that they can have their shot.

Plus there is a history of PSU getting snubed. they have gone undeafeted a few times and left out of the NCG. It will hapen agian if alabama or TT wins out (although i doubt it)

revefsreleets
11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Scratch the Oregon State win over USC. The Trojans choke every year. Now if OSU would have won all it's other games and finished with just the loss to PSU, then it counts, but they've already lost to Utah and Stanford. They are a mediocre program, and a mediocre team, always have bee, always will be.

You PSU guys just aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not bashing PSU, but they have to schedule more difficult OOC games. All NC contenders need to schedule one tough OOC game. That's the lesson every program should have learned from Auburn. Oregon State is NOT a perennial powerhouse. That is NOT a marquee match-up. It will NEVER count as a quality win. In effect, PSU scheduled ALL creampuffs ooc.

I'm talking about what OSU and USC do every year: They schedule one perennial top 20 team ooc and roll the dice that they can weather the storm. You can't have the argument against the SEC not playing tough ooc games and not point it back at yourself. The Buckeyes have marquee match-ups in the works theough the year 2020. The Big Ten may be the toughest conference again in many of those years, and it may not, but they have their bases covered.

The bottom line is, if it's TT, Bama and PSU, ALL the models (human and computer) will show significantly harder sos for Bama and TT.

The argument against the Big 12 is a joke, too...they are clearly the class of college football this year and the schedule Texas, TT, OU and OSU play are BRUTAL.

rbryan
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Ask USC if they can scratch Oregon St next year.....lol

Tech: E Wash, Nevada, SMU, Mass....no tough teams out of conference.

Texas: FAU, Tex El Paso, Rice, I guess that OOC game against Arkansas is the one your counting as a quality team ??

And finally your Buckeyes: Youngstown St, Ohio U, Troy?? You did sched USC.....how did that work out again? Oh yeah trounced by the same team that was beat by Oregon State...........Maybe that shouldn't count either.......lol.

lilyoder6
11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
sry rev.. but u just can't go around and scratch out a game.. any way u look at it, it happened...

what i said was that it seems that the ooc for psu is harder than bama and tech...

and i can see where the big 12 is a joke kind of... they play NO defense at all rly.. they just try to score more points than there opp.... it seems that all big 12 games are very high scoring

revefsreleets
11-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Ask USC if they can scratch Oregon St next year.....lol

Tech: E Wash, Nevada, SMU, Mass....no tough teams out of conference.

Texas: FAU, Tex El Paso, Rice, I guess that OOC game against Arkansas is the one your counting as a quality team ??

And finally your Buckeyes: Youngstown St, Ohio U, Troy?? You did sched USC.....how did that work out again? Oh yeah trounced by the same team that was beat by Oregon State...........Maybe that shouldn't count either.......lol.

This post is nothing but bashing OSU and trying to make excuses for why TT should not get the nod over PSU, and it really has no substance at all. It's not addressing the FACT: SOS is not on PSU's side this year. Texas Tech's schedule is difficult because of their own conference. But you can't depend on your conference, no matter WHAT conference you play in, being tough every year. It's going to work out okay for them this year (provided we stick with the hypothetical that they remain unbeaten, although I think they'll lose this Saturday), but in most years it would not. It's ALL about SOS.

I'll do this another way:

Right now Alabama has an SOS of 56, which is unimpressive. They get love because they play in the SEC, AND if they win out they'll probably play UF in the SEC CG which will help bolster that quite a bit.

TT has a SOS of 26

PSU has a very unimpressive SOS of 59, and that can really only go down, because MSU is the only decent team they play.

Right there is enough. Now if PSU had scheduled, say Oklahoma instead of Syracuse, that would have jumped way up, OU is ranked 6 and they have an SOS of 12. PSU is only going to have one real quality win, and that's OSU (who, incidentally, have a SOS of 8, so maybe you might want to do a little fact checking before you start tossing out insults).

If it comes down to an unbeaten PSU, Bama and TT, both the human and computer rankings will use SOS to leave PSU out. TT will have several quality wins, and Bama will have at least 2, to PSU's one. Toss in the hate for the Big Ten the humans will display, and it's a recipe for PSU to stay outside looking in.

All that being said, I still think Bama and TT lose and it's PSU/UF for the big dance.

Hammer67
11-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Why are you guys arguing this? Who cares...if PSU wins out, they have a great chance.

revefsreleets
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm arguing this for several reasons:

A) Blind and ignorant hate of OSU
B) Failure to grasp how the current (flawed) system works
C) The continued failure to grasp that I actually like and respect PSU's program
D) My strong belief that every program in the top 25 or so should be scheduling to play each other OOC every season if they truly want NCG consideration.

atlsteelers
11-06-2008, 12:41 PM
i am just hoping the BCS pisses everybody off so we can have a playoff system

rbryan
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm arguing this for several reasons:

A) Blind and ignorant hate of OSU
B) Failure to grasp how the current (flawed) system works
C) The continued failure to grasp that I actually like and respect PSU's program
D) My strong belief that every program in the top 25 or so should be scheduling to play each other OOC every season if they truly want NCG consideration.

(E) Don't forget that you apparently just like to argue.

You said PSU had a weaker OOC sched than TT,Texas, OSU and Alabama. I clearly showed you thats not the case. I guess you don't like it much when someone points out that you're wrong. Your problem not mine.

Your insults only prove that perhaps its You with the ignorant hate and the one with the failure to communicate.

xfl2001fan
11-06-2008, 01:10 PM

You said PSU had a weaker OOC sched than TT,Texas, OSU and Alabama. I clearly showed you thats not the case. I guess you don't like it much when someone points out that you're wrong. Your problem not mine.

Your insults only prove that perhaps its You with the ignorant hate and the one with the failure to communicate.

What blind and ignorant hate has he shown? He has tried to show you how the OOC and inner conference works. You may have gotten him on one technicality...but you're pushing so hard on that one minor point of contention that you are clearly missing the whole point.

You are even ignoring many of the points he's tried to make in the post you just quoted.

The system is flawed. We get that.

If Bama, TT and PSU all go undefeated (which he believes both Bama and TT will not) then PSU is likely left out because of a weaker (overall) schedule.

Plain and simple. Whether it's human bias against the Big 10, human Bias for the SEC, or whatever, PSU is the odd man out.

That doesn't mean that PSU wouldn't beat both of those teams given the chance...but in the event that all three do go undefeated, we'll never know who PSU would have beaten.

They are a good team. But their schedule (a key component in both the human and computer rankings) doesn't add up.

rbryan
11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
His words........ he used them first. Not sure what you are you unclear on?

If someone on this board resorts to insinuating that you are blind and ignorant, I take that as an insult. And yes, In my mind that is truly being ignorant.

I acknowledged long ago that if they all win out PSU would and should be the odd man out. But its due to the Conf schedules, not the OOC

I'm done, you'll all have to continue w/o me on this one.

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
with the human polls they have PSU at number 2 and ttu is at 3... just to coreect u there...

and u still have to look at oregon st as a quality win since they did beat usc.. no matter the reasons.. it still happened and it will factor in... but for now lets just look at this weekend's games

revefsreleets
11-06-2008, 07:54 PM

No, I said that most teams didn't schedule OOC the way they should have.

PSU played no one OOC. OSU scheduled what happened to be the #1 team at the time. Look at their schedule for the next 10-12 years. It's how we roll. ANY team, ANY place, ANY time. We'll lose some games, sure, but we PLAY the big games. Everybody else should. Hell, they are starting to. PSU/Bama is slated. My point is that PSU's SOS and OOC suck. It's just a fact. If you disagree, that's fine, but it simply does not change the FACTS.

And YOU keep coming back for more, so it must be YOU that likes to (lose) argue.

revefsreleets
11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
with the human polls they have PSU at number 2 and ttu is at 3... just to coreect u there...

and u still have to look at oregon st as a quality win since they did beat usc.. no matter the reasons.. it still happened and it will factor in... but for now lets just look at this weekend's games

You become less and less relevant every post. You just have no clue how the system works, and you're like a retarded kid who keeps sticking his hand on the hot stove.

Oregon St can ONLY be a quality win if Oregon State is in the Top 10 final BCS rankings. Oregon State is NOT going to be even sniffing top 40 at the end of the season. Ohio State probably will be top 10, so PSU gets one quality win.

Again, this stuff is all out there for any of you guys to look up. Why not LOOK UP THE FACTS BEFORE YOU POST?????

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
ur the effing retard who is so effing ignorant if u are gonna say that the oregon state will not factor in....

and how about this looking shit up there num-nuts
USA Today Poll
1. Alabama (40) 9-0 1,498
2. Penn State (14) 9-0 1,437
3. Texas Tech (6) 9-0 1,409

unless i'm blind and espn is stupid.. i beleive it says that psu is 2nd.

oh and about this one
Harris Poll
1 Alabama (79) 9-0 2798 2
2 Penn State (17) 9-0 2689 3
3 Texas Tech (16) 9-0 2644 5

??????? i'm thinking that the harris and usa today are human polls so.. uhhhh.. MAYBE U SHOULD LOOK UP FACTS... stfu

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 10:43 PM
What everyone around here really wants to know is: How far will Oregon State's upset take Penn State in the Bowl Championship Series rankings?

The answer: By and large, only so far as the pollsters notice.

First of all, the two polls -- one run by USA Today and the other by Harris -- have a greater impact on the BCS rankings than do the six computer ratings that also contribute. The computers will simply give Penn State a nudge up because a PSU opponent beat another team. The computers don't see USC as a title contender but just another widget in the vast mechanism of the BCS.

It's the voters who will have to notice in order to give the Lions a spike on Monday -- providing they take care of business against visiting Illinois. The fact that two of ESPN's game crew -- Jesse Palmer and Chris Fowler -- and also SportsCenter studio host Neil Everett mentioned PSU's dismantlement of the Beavers on Thursday night will do more for PSU than the computers. That sort of mention informs and influences pollsters in other areas of the country who might have been oblivious that PSU and Oregon State even played.

revefsreleets
11-07-2008, 07:58 AM
ur the effing retard who is so effing ignorant if u are gonna say that the oregon state will not factor in....

and how about this looking shit up there num-nuts
USA Today Poll
1. Alabama (40) 9-0 1,498
2. Penn State (14) 9-0 1,437
3. Texas Tech (6) 9-0 1,409

unless i'm blind and espn is stupid.. i beleive it says that psu is 2nd.

oh and about this one
Harris Poll
1 Alabama (79) 9-0 2798 2
2 Penn State (17) 9-0 2689 3
3 Texas Tech (16) 9-0 2644 5

??????? i'm thinking that the harris and usa today are human polls so.. uhhhh.. MAYBE U SHOULD LOOK UP FACTS... stfu

You may be the stupidest poster on this board. BCS is all that matters. As of right now, TT is playing Bama in the NCG game, and because PSU plays basically no one the rest of the way, if TT and Bama win out, you're out.

That's all.

That's it.

End of argument. You lose. You've lost. Give up.

atlsteelers
11-07-2008, 08:42 AM
there is no way PSU plays in the NCG if TT and Alabama wins out. PSU is paying for the past sins of OSU and a poor out of conference scheduling. I heard (my pops is a pitt fan) PSU is still scared of scheduling Pitt in a home and away series.

rbryan
11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
there is no way PSU plays in the NCG if TT and Alabama wins out. PSU is paying for the past sins of OSU and a poor out of conference scheduling. I heard (my pops is a pitt fan) PSU is still scared of scheduling Pitt in a home and away series.

Yeah I'm sure thats what it is.............we're scared of Pitt.

Theres over 100 Division One programs and we can only schedule 4 games every year OOC........you're right that's the only explanation there could be.

lilyoder6
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
hey dumbass rev.. i was just showing u that psu was 2nd is the harris and usa, that U said they were not.. so STFU dumb ass...

also explain this one???

First of all, the two polls -- one run by USA Today and the other by Harris -- have a greater impact on the BCS rankings than do the six computer ratings that also contribute

exactly,, u effing dumb ass.. and again STFU u worthless .................................................. .

lilyoder6
11-07-2008, 06:06 PM
also rev.. "grant it i am saying things in my response to ur remarks" but does it make u feel important by making these comments?? b/c to me ur just a lil bitch talking shit on a forum..

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 03:33 PM
JoePa will be in the box again today.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Let's go Penn State!!! Big game guys.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
OMG - cannot have those type of mistakes.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Wphew. But this is bullshit. O-LINE NEEDS TO GIVE DARRYL HELP!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
OMG - cannot have those type of mistakes.

You got that right.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
DEFENSE! QUIT SISSY SKIRTING!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
HEY DEFENSE! QUIT PLAYING LIKE YOUR SWISS CHEESE!!!!

lilyoder6
11-08-2008, 03:48 PM
wow... i hope these 1 st drives for both sides of the ball was the lay-over from the bye.. better get to business boys

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
HEY O-LINE! BLOCK TODAY!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
KEVIN KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 3, Iowa 7

PisnNapalm
11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Are the Steelers playing today? Is it Sunday already?

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Looks like the national election hasn't run out of Iowa yet.

lilyoder6
11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
wow.... nice def stand by iowa..... now our def needs to come out and play there game

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
GREAT PRESSURE!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
COME ON O!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
TOUCHDOWN EVAN ROYSTER
Penn State 10, Iowa 7

randy06
11-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Cmon we need another TD here.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Penn State 13, Iowa 7

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:53 PM
COME ON D!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 04:55 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSACKED! NICE WORK D!

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Now that I finally get back to the computer...it is halftime!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Now that I finally get back to the computer...it is halftime!!!

You haven't missed too much.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:07 PM
You haven't missed too much.

I was watching the game and cooking at the same time, which I do not like to do anything while I watch the game.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I was watching the game and cooking at the same time, which I do not like to do anything while I watch the game.

Oh, nevermind. :sofunny:

lilyoder6
11-08-2008, 05:09 PM
not bad for the half.. just need to come out in the 2nd and shove it down there throats

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:11 PM
not bad for the half.. just need to come out in the 2nd and shove it down there throats

We'll be playing Defense first. A 3 and Out would be great.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Let's go PSU!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:18 PM
COME ON D!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Penn State 16, Iowa 7

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
FWTG:GJWEJWERWEJRWERWQ!! KNOCK IT OFF D!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:36 PM
This D should all get chewed out for this drive. NO EXCUSES for giving up a Touchdown.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
I am having a lot of trouble posting here. I keep getting knocked off!

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Come on O!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging:They have to pick things up here - we are going into the 4th soon.:banging::banging::banging:

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:45 PM
TURNOVER!!!! PSU!

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Now that is the way we need to play!

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:48 PM
YAHOO!!!!:grin:

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:49 PM
TOUCHDOWN DERRICK WILLIAMS
Penn State 23, Iowa 14

lilyoder6
11-08-2008, 05:51 PM
williams is having another great game today.. 1 more quarter boys

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 05:55 PM
williams is having another great game today.. 1 more quarter boys

Have to finish this game!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 06:05 PM
DEFENSE! QUIT GIVING UP FREE YARDS!

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 06:15 PM
DO YOU NEED SUPER GLUE QUARLESS?!?!?!?

randy06
11-08-2008, 06:22 PM
NOOOOOO

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 06:23 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing:

randy06
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
There goes our perfect season....

lilyoder6
hahaha.. we blew this game... only god will help psu win now

Polamalu Princess
I am sick right now and just wish I could fast fordward to the end of the game.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
6 seconds...

lilyoder6
11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
hahahaha.. now he comes all the psu haters coming in and talking shit

randy06
11-08-2008, 06:40 PM
this really sucks

lilyoder6
11-08-2008, 06:41 PM
still think that the PI call was stupid... he was going for the ball

GoFins11
11-08-2008, 06:42 PM
You guys had a great run. Sorry about the loss.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I am stunned...

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 06:44 PM
You guys had a great run. Sorry about the loss.

Even if we can't go to the BCS Title Game, I'd still take going to Pasadena.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Okay, this is the first year I have been following college football and do not know the rules. What can PSU do or win now if they continue to win? I started watching because a friend's son is on the team. Please advise - thanks.

GoFins11
11-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Even if we can't go to the BCS Title Game, I'd still take going to Pasadena.

Thats the spirit. :drink:

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Okay, this is the first year I have been following college football and do not know the rules. What can PSU do or win now if they continue to win? I started watching because a friend's son is on the team. Please advise - thanks.

Win out they win the Big Ten and they will most likely go to the Rose Bowl. However, if the same mess happens as did last year with Ohio State, then it can pretty much end up back in the picture. Odds of it happening suck though.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Thats the spirit. :drink:

That's at least one reason to smile. We can still go to the Rose Bowl.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Win out they win the Big Ten and they will most likely go to the Rose Bowl. However, if the same mess happens as did last year with Ohio State, then it can pretty much end up back in the picture. Odds of it happening suck though.

Thank you. My faith in PSU is not even close to being lost!:drink:

GoFins11
11-08-2008, 06:53 PM
That's at least one reason to smile. We can still go to the Rose Bowl.

As long as you're in a BCS game, you're doing pretty good.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
As long as you're in a BCS game, you're doing pretty good.

Yep, Penn State now still has to make sure they don't have a repeat of 1999.

But if they don't go stupid at Beaver Stadium, a trip to the Rose Bowl will make me a happy camper. Why? they can still get the next best thing.

OneForTheToe
11-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Tough game for PSU. Gota give the Iowa D' some credit, they played hard even when the game appeared to be over. Not to kick Joe Pa when he is a bit down, but i would have liked to see PSU use its timeouts better at the end of the game. Would it have made a difference? Probably not, but I can't help but think there was a some sequence that leads to Iowa kicking the FG with more time on the clock.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Tough game for PSU. Gota give IU D' some credit, they played hard even when the game appeared to be over. Not to kick Joe Pa when he is a bit down, but i would have liked to see PSU use its timeouts better at the end of the game. Would it have made a difference? Probably not, but I can't help but think there was a some sequence that leads to IU kicking the FG with more time on the clock.

Yeah well, either way, Iowa found a way.

Penn State will grow from this and will just have to fire back next week against Indiana at home. The last two games are at home. Take care of business in both of those, they'll be smelling roses.

Steelcitygal87
11-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I LOVE Penn State! They have always been my favorite ever since I started watching the games with my dad when I was in grade school( he passed away a week before I graduated from high school), so it breaks my heart to see them lose. And while I really wanted to see them get a chance to play for the title, to be completely honest, Alabama , Texas and Texas Tech are more talented and complete teams than Penn State is. In my opinion Penn State is a GOOD team, but not a GREAT team. I think they would do very well in the Rose Bowl. They have come a long way in a few years.

Clark just seemed off today. That one play where he had #2 open but got him the ball late and it was picked off, was the turning point in the game. The interference call on #7 was a back breaker too.

Dawn

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I LOVE Penn State! They have always been my favorite ever since I started watching the games with my dad when I was in grade school( he passed away a week before I graduated from high school), so it breaks my heart to see them lose. And while I really wanted to see them get a chance to play for the title, to be completely honest, Alabama , Texas and Texas Tech are more talented and complete teams than Penn State is. In my opinion Penn State is a GOOD team, but not a GREAT team. I think they would do very well in the Rose Bowl. They have come a long way in a few years.

Clark just seemed off today. That one play where he had #2 open but got him the ball late and it was picked off, was the turning point in the game. The interference call on #7 was a back breaker too.

Dawn

First off, welcome to Steelers Fever.

It did suck, but hey, a shot at the Rose Bowl still is a pretty nice reward. I'd love to see the Lions playing out in California on New Years Day.

millwalldavey
11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Remember that music from the Price Is Right when someon would lose? I wish I had that queued when that kick went through the uprights.

The excuse at the Fire Co. tonight is the PI call against Scirrotto. Up there PSU is 250-0 the last 25 years, but got screwed an awful lot.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Remember that music from the Price Is Right when someon would lose? I wish I had that queued when that kick went through the uprights.

The excuse at the Fire Co. tonight is the PI call against Scirrotto. Up there PSU is 250-0 the last 25 years, but got screwed an awful lot.

Ya can get screwed all the time, it's what you do when ya get screwed over that matters.

millwalldavey
11-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Ya can get screwed all the time, it's what you do when ya get screwed over that matters.

Very true. It's what you do with the opportunities presented you.

Sad thing is (in a way)... with that one loss, they may not get higher than like 7-8 from here on in.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Very true. It's what you do with the opportunities presented you.

Sad thing is (in a way)... with that one loss, they may not get higher than like 7-8 from here on in.

Yeah well, this is the month of November. Anything can happen. Even if they aren't going to Miami as I had hoped, a trip to Pasadena is pretty good to.

KeiselPower99
11-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Great game sucks that Penn State lost. Give Iowa credit though. That Greene kid looks damn good for the Hawkeyes.

Steelcitygal87
11-09-2008, 03:53 AM
First off, welcome to Steelers Fever.

It did suck, but hey, a shot at the Rose Bowl still is a pretty nice reward. I'd love to see the Lions playing out in California on New Years Day.

Thank you for the welcome.

They have Indiana and Michigan State left to play. How do you like their chances against Michigan St.? I am thinking it might be a tougher challenge than Iowa was. One good thing about it...the game is at Beaver Stadium.

I guess I am still feeling a little down, because I am so passionate about my sports I tend to take loses pretty hard and it takes me a while to get over them. The Steelers broke my heart last year by not making it past the Jags in the playoffs. Then the Pens lose to the Wings in the Stanley Cup finals. Now it is my beloved Lions going down. You are right though, a trip to the Rose Bowl would be a nice reward. :drink:

Dawn

lilyoder6
11-09-2008, 09:41 AM
i think this loss it hit joe pa the most... just b/c he wasn't able to be down on the field to talk to his kids and what not... a win in another major bowl is still good and good media cov..

Pittsky
11-09-2008, 10:11 AM
did anyone keep getting distracted by the black and gold (iowa)... i thought the steelers were playing a couple times as i was flipping through the channels..haha:chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Thank you for the welcome.

They have Indiana and Michigan State left to play. How do you like their chances against Michigan St.? I am thinking it might be a tougher challenge than Iowa was. One good thing about it...the game is at Beaver Stadium.

I guess I am still feeling a little down, because I am so passionate about my sports I tend to take loses pretty hard and it takes me a while to get over them. The Steelers broke my heart last year by not making it past the Jags in the playoffs. Then the Pens lose to the Wings in the Stanley Cup finals. Now it is my beloved Lions going down. You are right though, a trip to the Rose Bowl would be a nice reward. :drink:

Dawn

No Problem.

I like the odds of beating Michigan State. Even after a tough game like this. The game is at home and Penn State doesn't just drop dead at home a lot. Since 2004's PSU/MSU game Penn State is 28-2 at Beaver Stadium.

I feel Penn State's D is capable of stopping Ringer, but they can't have the pitiful performance they had yesterday. That kid is capable of doing A LOT of damage whenever you let him run wild.

You and me both :cheers:

Steelcitygal87
11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
i think this loss it hit joe pa the most... just b/c he wasn't able to be down on the field to talk to his kids and what not... a win in another major bowl is still good and good media cov..

I agree. I watched him during the post game press conference and he looked as though he might shed some tears at any moment. I know I was. I can't remember if I heard it on the radio or tv, but Joe Pa made a comment about this being his best shot at a national championship, mostly because he will be losing a lot of senior players after this year. It will be very interesting to see what kind of team they have next year.

Yes a win in another major bowl would be a very good thing to have accomplished this year. Hopefully they won't get too down with this loss and can come back mentally and win their next two games!

WE ARE.............PENN STATE!!

Dawn

millwalldavey
11-09-2008, 11:13 AM
did anyone keep getting distracted by the black and gold (iowa)... i thought the steelers were playing a couple times as i was flipping through the channels..haha:chuckle:

It made it easier for me!

Dino 6 Rings
11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
It made it easier for me!

I agree, and the Iowa QB wearing #12, just looked awesome.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Classic hangover game...and this was Iowa's Super Bowl and BCS NCG all rolled up into one.

And this does show that the Big Ten is still a great conference, and NOT what the haters will say. I expect the Big Ten to do some damage when they go bowling as a conference.

I have no idea who I want to see in the NCG now, since I had all my eggs in the PSU basket. Texas Tech, I guess, just as the Cinderella...and maybe Bama? Definitely NOT the jorts of UF.

And, by the by, for the guys complaining about the PI call, that WAS PI. It's not even close or controversial. You can go for the ball, but you can't go through the WR to do so. That dog don't hunt...

Anyway, it was a great run. Win out and hopefully beat USC and it's still an awesome season.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Classic hangover game...and this was Iowa's Super Bowl and BCS NCG all rolled up into one.

And this does show that the Big Ten is still a great conference, and NOT what the haters will say. I expect the Big Ten to do some damage when they go bowling as a conference.

I have no idea who I want to see in the NCG now, since I had all my eggs in the PSU basket. Texas Tech, I guess, just as the Cinderella...and maybe Bama? Definitely NOT the jorts of UF.

And, by the by, for the guys complaining about the PI call, that WAS PI. It's not even close or controversial. You can go for the ball, but you can't go through the WR to do so. That dog don't hunt...

Anyway, it was a great run. Win out and hopefully beat USC and it's still an awesome season.

Who says there won't be even more teams faltering that could put Penn State back in the hunt? Probably won't happen, but hey, this is November and this is College Football after all.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Again, that SOS will do them in. It was already low at 59, and they now have a loss. They would need a few teams ahead of them to lose 2 games.

USC won't lose again.
Florida would have to lose another game.
Bama would have to lose to Florida.
TT would have to lose to OU then OU would have to lose to someone else.
Texas would have to lose again

I guess it COULD happen, but any one loss Big 12 or SEC team will get the nod. Losing to Iowa hurts, too. If the 1 loss was to a legit OOC opponent or even OSU, maybe it wouldn't hurt so much.

I WANT PSU to play for the NCG, but there just aren't many realistic scenarios in which that happens.

I'm going with Florida and the winner of the Big 12 (South, either OU, Texas or Texas Tech).

millwalldavey
11-09-2008, 05:11 PM
FLorida is the best team in the nation right now.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I agree. But Texas Tech and Oklahoma could beat them.

And I think they are the ONLY teams that could beat the Jorts.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Again, that SOS will do them in. It was already low at 59, and they now have a loss. They would need a few teams ahead of them to lose 2 games.

USC won't lose again.

I guess it COULD happen, but any one loss Big 12 or SEC team will get the nod. Losing to Iowa hurts, too. If the 1 loss was to a legit OOC opponent or even OSU, maybe it wouldn't hurt so much.

I WANT PSU to play for the NCG, but there just aren't many realistic scenarios in which that happens.

I'm going with Florida and the winner of the Big 12 (South, either OU, Texas or Texas Tech).

You got that right.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
There is hope.

OSU lost to Illinois last year around the same time (although they were ranked #1 and Illinois was ranked, too), and they still made the big game.

Anything could happen. But I'm not very optimistic....

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
There is hope.

OSU lost to Illinois last year around the same time (although they were ranked #1 and Illinois was ranked, too), and they still made the big game.

Anything could happen. But I'm not very optimistic....

I would like to see Penn State win the Big Ten Championship first.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
They will. But USC awaits.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
They will. But USC awaits.

They're no walk in the park either.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
That's my point. USC choked as they always do, but I guarantee you they will play up to their full potential in the Rose Bowl. Illinois was out of their depth last year, but I think the Nits can hang, and maybe win.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
That's my point. USC choked as they always do, but I guarantee you they will play up to their full potential in the Rose Bowl. Illinois was out of their depth last year, but I think the Nits can hang, and maybe win.

But it's gonna come down to what happens in the Big Ten first. They've got 2 games at home that I believe that they can win in.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 09:39 PM
But it's gonna come down to what happens in the Big Ten first. They've got 2 games at home that I believe that they can win in.

They'll beat Indiana and MSU.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 09:41 PM
They'll beat Indiana and MSU.

Especially after a loss a rough as Iowa. They're no easy task after a loss ESPECIALLY IF THE NEXT GAME IS AT HOME.

Steelcitygal87
11-10-2008, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;470931]Again, that SOS will do them in. It was already low at 59, and they now have a loss. They would need a few teams ahead of them to lose 2 games.

"USC won't lose again.

I WANT PSU to play for the NCG, but there just aren't many realistic scenarios in which that happens."

First and foremost I am a FOOTBALL FAN..a fan of the game. So that means even if it hurts, I tell the truth about my team.

I would want Penn State to play for the national championship game IF I thought they deserved to be there, and this year I don't believe they do. They are a GOOD team, but not a GREAT team. GREAT teams should play for the title. Can you honestly say that Penn State is as good as or better than Texas, Texas Tech or Bama?? Realistically speaking I don't think you can. All those teams play at a higher level than the Lions. They are more well rounded teams. I am sad Penn State lost because I LOVE Joe Pa, and they have a lot of seniors that won't get a chance to play for a national title and I feel badly for them. So while the sentimental, Penn State loving side of me wanted them play for it, the sports loving part of me KNOWS they aren't as worthy as the teams ranked above them. You DON'T LOSE to Iowa, especially when the stakes are so high.

Hopefully they will get to the Rose Bowl and come away with a win. That would be a nice reward for a very GOOD season!

Dawn

revefsreleets
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
They were ranked #17 and #18 preseason, and I think they have a realistic shot of finishing top 5.

The highest preseason rank to win a NCG was Oklahoma in 2000 and they were ranked 19. It's a tall task to climb that far.

Top 5 is a HIGHLY successful season!

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
They were ranked #17 and #18 preseason, and I think they have a realistic shot of finishing top 5.

The highest preseason rank to win a NCG was Oklahoma in 2000 and they were ranked 19. It's a tall task to climb that far.

Top 5 is a HIGHLY successful season!

They've been there before. They can do it again.

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Let's go PSU!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Come on Penn State!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
7-0!!

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 01:02 PM
This has really been a painful game.

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2008, 01:14 PM
This game is getting VERY Sloppy. When you play on the Field Surface such as Penn State's after a rain, it can get PRETTY messy.

Steelcitygal87
11-15-2008, 01:15 PM
7-7...against INDIANA?? You have got to be kidding me. Even with poor field conditions they should still at least be a head by a few tds.

COME ON LIONS!!

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
7-7...against INDIANA?? You have got to be kidding me. Even with poor field conditions they should still at least be a head by a few tds.

COME ON LIONS!!

I wonder if they were just having trouble getting the shit out of their system from last week.

10-7 lead at Halftime.

Steelcitygal87
11-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I wonder if they were just having trouble getting the shit out of their system from last week.

10-7 lead at Halftime.

That could be. Hopefully they will pull away in the second half. They don't have the BIG 10 title sewn up just yet. Michigan St. is 9-2 in the conference.

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Good job!

Steelcitygal87
11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
OH MY GOODNESS...I am watching the Ohio St. Illinois game( on ESPN) and Wells just JUMPED....HURDLED over #4 defender for Illinois! Wells is a BIG back....and for him to get that high in the air is amazing!

Sorry for putting this here...but I just had to comment on that play lol.

GO LIONS!!!

Dawn

Steelcitygal87
11-15-2008, 02:07 PM
20-7 that's more like it :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2008, 02:11 PM
20-7 that's more like it :thumbsup:

Gonna have to get the ball back and score once more

TIME TO PUT THE HOOSIERS AWAY!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
34-7 after a Derrick Williams Touchdown.

Polamalu Princess
11-15-2008, 03:12 PM
What a game!!!

revefsreleets
11-16-2008, 03:40 PM
OH MY GOODNESS...I am watching the Ohio St. Illinois game( on ESPN) and Wells just JUMPED....HURDLED over #4 defender for Illinois! Wells is a BIG back....and for him to get that high in the air is amazing!

Sorry for putting this here...but I just had to comment on that play lol.

GO LIONS!!!

Dawn

Wells is superman. He's 6'1" 250 (don't believe the 237...that was his HS weight) and has great vision and breakaway speed. He's done that a few times this year, too.

Back on task, PSU will beat MSU and win the conference. They'll share it with OSU (which I always thought was weird since they beat OSU...just the way the Big Ten rolls), and go to the Rose Bowl. OSU will go to the Orange Bowl. If both teams win and we can squeeze 8 of the 11 BT teams into bowls, the standing of the conference will rise. It would REALLY help if PSU can beat USC.

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Wells is superman. He's 6'1" 250 (don't believe the 237...that was his HS weight) and has great vision and breakaway speed. He's done that a few times this year, too.

Back on task, PSU will beat MSU and win the conference. They'll share it with OSU (which I always thought was weird since they beat OSU...just the way the Big Ten rolls), and go to the Rose Bowl. OSU will go to the Orange Bowl. If both teams win and we can squeeze 8 of the 11 BT teams into bowls, the standing of the conference will rise. It would REALLY help if PSU can beat USC.

It would really help if either team won their BCS Bowl.

Steelcitygal87
11-17-2008, 07:33 AM

I don't understand. If Penn State beats MSU and since they have already beaten OSU ,then why would they only get a share of the BIG 10 title???

As far as PSU beating USC, that is a tall order. USC defense would be the toughest they will face all year.

On a side note...Joe Pa is going to be having hip replacement surgery after the season is over. My heart goes out to him. I have never noticed him looking as tired and worn down as he has the last few times I have seen him on tv in the press conferences. He is such a good guy and one of the BEST coaches college football has ever seen!

Dawn

revefsreleets
11-17-2008, 10:53 AM
They don't take head-to-head into consideration. I think it has something to do with not everybody in the conference playing each other.

Interestingly, if MSU beats PSU, they go to the Rose Bowl over OSU (even though the Buckeyes beat them) because both PSU and OSU played D1-AA teams this year.

Steelcitygal87
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
They don't take head-to-head into consideration. I think it has something to do with not everybody in the conference playing each other.

Interestingly, if MSU beats PSU, they go to the Rose Bowl over OSU (even though the Buckeyes beat them) because both PSU and OSU played D1-AA teams this year.

Ohhh ok, thank you for clearing that up for me.

What, if any, problems do you foresee MSU giving Penn State on Sat?

revefsreleets
11-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Ohhh ok, thank you for clearing that up for me.

What, if any, problems do you foresee MSU giving Penn State on Sat?None. Penn State should win by 3 TD's.

Steelcitygal87
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
None. Penn State should win by 3 TD's.

You don't see our defense possibly having some problems stopping Javon Ringer? He is a pretty explosive back.

GO LIONS!!!

revefsreleets
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
That's just it: Michigan State is more one-dimensional than even the Buckeyes. The only reason Penn State was able to shut down the Buckeyes running game was because the Bucks lined up on almost every 1st and 2nd down and ran the football. PSU was able to totally sell out against the run. OSU CAN pass, they just (for some reason that still escapes me) refused to. They have solid weapons in Hartline and Robiske and they just failed to utilize them.

In MSU's case, after Ringer, their skill players drop way off. They don't really obfuscate what they're going to do either: They'll line up and run the ball 50 times a game. PSU is superior across their front 7 and should have no trouble shutting him down.

I'm thinking PSU 35 MSU 14, something in that neighborhood

millwalldavey
11-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Ringer. 'Nuff said.

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Let's go PSU!!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
What a run!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 03:50 PM
There we go!!!! Touchdown!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 04:07 PM
:violin:I guess I am here all by myself...

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 04:20 PM
14 - 0 - WTG!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 04:43 PM
21 - 0 - PSU is just plowing down MS!!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
28-0 - pure domination!!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 05:49 PM
35-7 WOW!!!! It really sucks being the only one here today.

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 06:05 PM
42 - 7!!!

I feel so alone - no one to share my joy with!!!

Steelcitygal87
11-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Sorry, I would have been here but I just got home from Christmas shopping all day UGH! lol.

I am smellin the roses!!!! WAY TO GO PENN STATE!!! I am so happy they won!! I love this team and I love Paterno.

GO LIONS!! CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT SEASON!:thumbsup:

Dawn

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Sorry, I would have been here but I just got home from Christmas shopping all day UGH! lol.

I am smellin the roses!!!! WAY TO GO PENN STATE!!! I am so happy they won!! I love this team and I love Paterno.

GO LIONS!! CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT SEASON!:thumbsup:

Dawn

They have done very well today. They will indeed be going to the Rose Bowl! It will be a great New Year's Day treat!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 06:54 PM
49 - 18 - what a game!!!! Here come the roses!!!! Great job PSU!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I was at the game. It was so crazy after the game. I got to shake hands with Darryl Clark and company.

BIG TEN CHAMPIONS!!!! I smelling Roses!

OneForTheToe
11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Very Impressive for Penn State today. I'm sure there are more than a few of us watching Okla. throttle Texas Tech, that can't keep from wondering - what if? Still, a great season for Penn State. And the Rose Bowl is the best consolation prize in college football.

Steelcitygal87
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I was at the game. It was so crazy after the game. I got to shake hands with Darryl Clark and company.

WOW, that must have been so cool and such an electric atmosphere there at Beaver Stadium! That is what I would love to do some day...go to a game there.

Looks like their opponent might be Oregon St?

WAY TO GO PENN STATE!!! Can't wait to buy a Penn State Rose Bowl shirt. I still have a sweatshirt I got back when they last went to the Rose Bowl.

GO LIONS!

Polamalu Princess
11-22-2008, 10:55 PM

WOW!!! I am so happy for you!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2008, 12:31 AM
WOW, that must have been so cool and such an electric atmosphere there at Beaver Stadium! That is what I would love to do some day...go to a game there.

Looks like their opponent might be Oregon St?

WAY TO GO PENN STATE!!! Can't wait to buy a Penn State Rose Bowl shirt. I still have a sweatshirt I got back when they last went to the Rose Bowl.

GO LIONS!

It was ridiculous. Everyone was into the game from start to finish. Everyone heckled the snot out of the MSU Coach. After the game we all joined in a singing of We are the champions.

WOW!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Thanks.

rbryan
11-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Not so fast my friends. PSU still has an outside chance to play for all the marbles.

Tech...see ya, and don't tell me they don't fall past PS. Any team that gives up 65 points deserves no further consideration.

Bama loses to Florida after Fla loses to FSU....(OK Fla losing to FSU is a stretch, but that is a true rivalry game where anything can happen)

Oklahoma still has to beat OK ST and Missouri

Texas isn't even going to play in thier conf championship game how can you let them play for the Nat Championship???

USC.... Ditto not even Pac 10 champs if Orgegon St holds serve. You can't play for the National Championship if you don't win your conference.

Bama, Florida, Oklahoma are the only teams that we need to worry about. If two of those three lose we play for the National Championship

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Not so fast my friends. PSU still has an outside chance to play for all the marbles.

Tech...see ya, and don't tell me they don't fall past PS. Any team that gives up 65 points deserves no further consideration.

Bama loses to Florida after Fla loses to FSU....(OK Fla losing to FSU is a stretch, but that is a true rivalry game where anything can happen)

Oklahoma still has to beat OK ST and Missouri

Texas isn't even going to play in thier conf championship game how can you let them play for the Nat Championship???

USC.... Ditto not even Pac 10 champs if Orgegon St holds serve. You can't play for the National Championship if you don't win your conference.

Bama, Florida, Oklahoma are the only teams that we need to worry about. If two of those three lose we play for the National Championship

As long as the BCS Formula doesn't screw us over!

lilyoder6
11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
i with u there... i am hoping this happens b/c it would be great... i would be very very distraught if usc would o play 4 the NC.. i mean shit, u can't win ur conf. but u can play 4 the nc?? thats just stupid

TackleMeBen
11-24-2008, 10:58 AM
steelman

congrats on psu win over msu.. i was actually rooting for your team... only b/c i didnt want Ohio State to get the big 10 championship..lol..hope you do well in your rose bowl game.

revefsreleets
11-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't believe you have to be Conference Champ to play for the NCG. There is nothing on the BCS site that says so...it only says BCS #1 plays BCS #2 for the NCS.

lilyoder6
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
thats just stupid tho.. ppl will look at it, by ur werent good enought to win ur own conf.. but somehow good enough 2 play 4 the nc

revefsreleets
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Well look at the Pac 10. USC is clearly a far superior team to Oregon State, they just had a down game (the annual Trojan choke).

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 12:18 AM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120208aab.html
Maybin Selected a Hendricks Award Finalist

First Team All-Big Ten Defensive End Third in Nation With 12 Solo Sacks

Dec. 2, 2008

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - For the third time in the last four years, a Nittany Lion is among the finalists for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.

Penn State sophomore Aaron Maybin (Ellicott City, Md.) has been selected one of six finalists for the honor. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, Dec. 10.

The Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award is named in honor of the former University of Miami, Baltimore Colts and Oakland Raiders standout. The Ted Hendricks Foundation's national selection committee will determine and announce the recipient next week.

The other finalists for the seventh annual Hendricks Award are: Everette Brown (Florida State), Jerry Hughes (TCU), Jammie Kirlew (Indiana), Brian Orakpo (Texas) and Nick Reed (Oregon).

Penn State's Maurice Evans (2007) and All-Americans Tamba Hali (2005) and Michael Haynes (2002) also have been finalists for the Hendricks Award since its inception in 2002.

A first team All-Big Ten defensive end, Maybin also is one of three finalists for the Bednarik Award, presented to the nation's defensive player of the year by the Maxwell Football Club. Maybin also was on the 2008 Walter Camp Player of the Year Mid-Season Watch List.

Maybin has recorded at least one tackle for loss in all 12 games for the Big Ten Champions. A tenacious pass rusher with excellent speed and quickness off the edge, he is tied for third in the nation with 12 solo sacks and is tied for sixth nationally with 19 tackles for loss. Maybin has also forced a team-high three fumbles, including two that resulted in Penn State touchdowns, has 45 tackles overall (27 solo) and recorded three pass break-ups.

The former Mount Hebron High School standout has helped Penn State lead the Big Ten in all four primary defensive categories and earn Top 10 national rankings in rushing, pass efficiency, scoring and total defense.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions are ranked No. 8 in this week's BCS standings and will play in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2009. Penn State is No. 6 in the Associated Press, USA Today Coaches and Harris Interactive polls. The BCS pairings will be announced Sunday, Dec. 7 at 8:00 p.m. on FOX.

Penn State will be playing in its 35th bowl game under Paterno, who is the all-time leader in bowl appearances and wins (23-10-1 record).

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120408aac.html
Shipley Named A Finalist for Rimington Trophy

Award is presented to the nation's outstanding center.

Dec. 4, 2008

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Penn State senior A.Q. Shipley (Coraopolis) has been selected a finalist for the Rimington Trophy, presented to the nation's outstanding center.

The 2008 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year, Shipley is the first Nittany Lion to be a finalist for the honor, which was first presented in 2000 in honor of former Nebraska standout Dave Rimington. The honor is presented by the Boomer Esiason Foundation, which has raised more than $1.3 million for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation since in inception of the Rimington Trophy.

Shipley is one of six finalists for the 2008 Rimington Trophy. He is joined by: Antoine Caldwell (Alabama), Jonathan Luigs (Arkansas), Alex Mack (California), Max Unger (Oregon) and Eric Wood (Louisville).

The winner of the 2008 Rimington Trophy will be announced during the ESPNU/Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Thursday, December 11.

An offensive co-captain and the leader of the offensive line, Shipley has been instrumental in anchoring Penn State's best offensive line since 1995. Shipley and the O-Line lead one of the nation's most potent offenses, as Penn State ranks 11th nationally in scoring offense (40.2 ppg) and No. 15 in the nation in rushing (211.6 ypg) and total offense (452.2 ypg). The Lions lead the Big Ten in total and scoring offense and are second in rushing.

A three-year starter, Shipley has been instrumental in helping Penn State have a 1,000-yard rusher for four consecutive seasons (three different players). Behind the former Moon Area High School standout, the Lions lead the Big Ten and are No. 9 in the nation in fewest sacks allowed this season with 12.

Shipley is an employee and labor relations major on schedule to graduate this month.

The Rimington Trophy committee will select the winner of the 2008 honor based on the center selections of four All-America teams that will be announced later this momth - American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Walter Camp Football Foundation, Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and Sporting News.

The 2008 Rimington Trophy recipient will be honored at the Rimington Trophy Presentation in Lincoln, Neb., on January 17, 2009.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions are ranked No. 8 in this week's BCS standings and will play in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2009. Penn State is No. 6 in the Associated Press, USA Today Coaches and Harris Interactive polls. The BCS pairings will be announced Sunday, Dec. 7 at 8:00 p.m. on FOX.

Penn State will be playing in its 35th bowl game under Paterno (23rd New Year's bowl), who is the all-time leader in bowl appearances and wins (23-10-1 record).

Steelcitygal87
12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, Penn State will be facing USC in the Rose Bowl( as I figured they would be). I am really looking forward to this match-up :popcorn:. USC's offense hasn't faced any D this year that has the speed and quickness of Penn States. Consequently Penn State's offense hasn't faced a D as tough, soild and quick as USCs(I LOVE #58! What a fantastic player he is).

Was wondering too, anyone know where they are selling any Penn State Rose Bowl t-shirts? I looked online and so far all I have seen are ones for sale at the Penn State website. I was hoping maybe they might have them at Kohls, J.C. Penneys or Sears.

WE ARE.....PENN STATE! :tt03:

SteelCurtain7
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Penn State v. USC. That will be a game!! :cool:

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Well, Penn State will be facing USC in the Rose Bowl( as I figured they would be). I am really looking forward to this match-up :popcorn:. USC's offense hasn't faced any D this year that has the speed and quickness of Penn States. Consequently Penn State's offense hasn't faced a D as tough, soild and quick as USCs(I LOVE #58! What a fantastic player he is).

Was wondering too, anyone know where they are selling any Penn State Rose Bowl t-shirts? I looked online and so far all I have seen are ones for sale at the Penn State website. I was hoping maybe they might have them at Kohls, J.C. Penneys or Sears.

WE ARE.....PENN STATE! :tt03:

It usually varys per area.

OneForTheToe
12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
UCS will definately be the best "D" Penn State has faced. I would think the closest comparison would be OH State's "D." Still, I like Penn State's chances. I think they are a more complete team.

Makaveli
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Would have preferred an SEC team. Because taking the Lions apart is only worth so much glory. (as the rest of the nation will just simply talk of the Big Ten's clumsiness and inability to deal with any team gifted with elite athleticism)

But,..i guess another Rose Bowl title will have to do,...... I'm in. FIGHT ON !

http://www.sportsfanshop.com/images/items/2324558778.jpg

lilyoder6
12-06-2008, 11:55 PM
u alrdy knew that psu was in the rose bowl... maybe psu can restore some of the glory of the big 10 by beating usc

revefsreleets
12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
This is a tough call. OSU's D is every bit as good as USC's, but USC is a more complete offensive team. Lion's will have to step it up defensively if they want to win. If USC scores more than 20 points it's over.

I'm pulling 110% for the Lions but this is a tall order.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
This is a tough call. OSU's D is every bit as good as USC's, but USC is a more complete offensive team. Lion's will have to step it up defensively if they want to win. If USC scores more than 20 points it's over.

I'm pulling 110% for the Lions but this is a tall order.

It's a tall order, but sometimes, the greatest teams must overcome the toughest challenges.

SteelCityMan786
12-16-2008, 08:32 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/08351/935541-100.stm

Paterno agrees to three-year extension
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State coach Joe Paterno today agreed to a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the football program through the 2011 season.

According to a statement released by the university, "it was also agreed that the parties might re-evaluate their circumstances and alter the arrangement by either shortening or extending its length as necessary."

Paterno, who turns 82 Sunday, is the winningest coach in Division I-A history with 383 victories. His current four-year contract was due to expire after Penn State's Rose Bowl game against USC on Jan. 1.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

lilyoder6
12-16-2008, 08:47 PM
i saw that today...and in the contract they can either make it shorter or make it longer

revefsreleets
12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
If I was in charge, I'd have filled the locker room with rumors about it being JoePa's last game, and used the whole "Win one for the Gipper" approach...then announced after the game that he was resigned for 3 years...

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
The Defenses look like they've come to play.

Come on PSU O!!! Put some points on the board!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:22 PM
The O started showing signs of life but still no score.

Lets Go D!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
HOW ABOUT THE DAMN OFFICIATING CALL A ****ING PENALTY ON THE DAMN TROJANS AND THE DEFENSE STOP SISSY SKIRTING!!!!

Because of that USC now leads 7-0.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
GOOD JOB GREEN!

Way to fight back after a dumb penalty.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
THAT IS REDEMPTION AT ITS FINEST!!!

Nice Work Butler.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
You fought for this long O! GET THE TOUCHDOWN BABY!!!

randy06
01-01-2009, 05:48 PM
TD CLARK!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:48 PM
TOUCHDOWN DARRYL CLARK
Penn State 7, USC 7

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Don't be Dumb D!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Good First Quarter. Now step things up here more in the 2nd.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
COME ON D! BE PHYSICAL, BUT DON'T BE STUPID!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
SOME ONE GET UP IN THEIR GRILL DAMN IT!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:01 PM
DOES SOMEONE ON PSU'S D WANT TO CONTAIN MARK SANCHEZ TODAY?!?!?!?

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Royster took a knee injury. Sprained according to the med staff.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
O-LINE ****ING BLOCK!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Good Boone Punt.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Have to take advantage D. DO WHAT YOU MUST DO TO MAKE IT A 3 AND OUT!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Apparantly the D likes to be paralyzed before making a Tackle.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:11 PM
COME ON D!! You have to take advantage.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:11 PM
HEY DEFENSE FINISH THE PLAY DAMN IT!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:12 PM
USC's Joe McKnight will NOT play the rest of the game due to an injury that he has had all year.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Good Job Forcing them to 3. Now, lets start a rally NOW!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
O-Line is quickly earning a spot in my dog house.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I'M SO ****ING SICK OF INCONSISTENT PLAY BY THIS F***ING TEAM!!! GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ****ING ***

Polamalu Princess
01-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Hello! I am having a party at my house, so I cannot be here very much, but I am in pain.

Polamalu Princess
01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello SCM! Happy New Year.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello SCM! Happy New Year.

Hey PoP. I'd be in a better mood if this D would stop playing like a bunch of premaddonas.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope this team gets ripped hard at halftime and gets motivated enough to play better in the 2nd Half.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
HEY DEFENSE WAKE THE F**** UP! THE GAME STARTED AT 2 PM PST!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:36 PM
There is no reason that this Team should be down 24-7.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:38 PM
HEY D!! STOP THEM DAMN IT!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
THIS IS THE WORST HALF OF FOOTBALL I HAVE EVER HAD TO ENDURE IN MY DAMN LIFE!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Whatever happens guys, go out strong and show everyone your a better team then the score is.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Make a statement here D!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:12 PM
TOO EASY ON THEM!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:16 PM
This Defense is going to give me a heart attack and send me to my deathbed.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Have to take advantage of turnovers.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
This team is getting a lesson in NOT being able to take a play off against a tough team.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Bowman still appears to be fighting through it.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Pete Carrol WHINES so much.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Looks like we're seeing our backups.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Can't we catch a BREAK AT ALL???

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Gotta score a Touchdown.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Lets go PSU O. No matter what the score. Lets go out with a BANG!

Polamalu Princess
01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I am sick....This is not the team that I have been watching all year.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I am sick....This is not the team that I have been watching all year.

And the same team who I watched for 4 Saturdays at Beaver Stadium.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok, lets take advantage of the break.