PDA

View Full Version : Are we losing our Physical Stamp??

noto45
01-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Does anyone feel like we are no longer going to be the physical team we used to be?? Out Star running back is not a big physical back. our defensive corners are not physical. Our defensive pass rush is not physical nor is our offensive line?? Am I crazy or do i see a trend here???:helmet:

Dynasty
01-20-2008, 04:03 PM
enough with the WIllie parker isnt physical shit.... he plays tough and hes not like some small scatback like Maurice JonesDrew... hes fast, but he gets a lot of yards in between the tackles

jjpro11
01-20-2008, 04:14 PM
our corners are as physical as they can be with the insane nfl rules in place. ike taylor used to play running back in college. hopefully woodley can add some fire to our pass rush and getting aaron smith back will help too.

19ward86
01-20-2008, 06:55 PM
we are very physical, defensive core and safeties are hard nosed guys that punch the offense in the mouth, our offensive line has lagged behind and that might be why some think we arent very physical anymore but we are in a transition still, they say it takes around 10yrs to complete it, we have went from greg lloyd to james harrison, we have went from rod woodson to troy polamalu. we dont have the demitri dawson anymore but we will find a guy, we always do.

Lord Stiller
01-20-2008, 09:13 PM
YES

it all starts in the trenches. Our o-line played like a bunch of pussies. Our d-line did not play well even before Smith got hurt

The Duke
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
honestly, the league itself has gotten less physical

some players just seem to be missing that fire to knock someone that's in players like Hines a silverback

but yeah, our team has got to get more physical, especially the o line

BlastFurnace
01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
If we solve the Center problem, our OL will again be physical.

On defense, we need to get Timmons and Woodley starting. I like Foote, but not enough to pencil him as an unchallenged starter. Timmons needs to take over there.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Not physical?

I guess you didn't watch Hines Ward play this year. I guess you never saw James Harrison play. I saw Santonio Holmes throw some wicked blocks, and Heath Miller run guys over.

Willie Parker might be a speed back, but he can throw himself a stiff arm and gets a lot of yards between the tackles.

Once we find a center that can play physical, our line will go back to being physical.

Ike Taylor is one of the more physical corners in the NFL. Unfortunatly, the NFL has rules in place that limit how physical the defensive backs can play. Troy Polamalu is a missile on that field. Deshea Townsend isn't a slouch...and Anthony Smith can knock somebody's head off.

Mike Tomlin preached being physical and being violent. He won't let the Pittsburgh Steelers lose that image.

lilyoder6
01-20-2008, 10:30 PM
jones-drew is awsome rb, u can't say he is a ***** when he runs ppl over whether he is running the ball or blicking..

m4mica
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
i care more about winning than how we win. Smashmouth, run-it-up-the-gut with Bettis or putting Ben in the no-huddle, doesn't much matter to me. That being said, I agree with others, OL is not physical enough, D really missed Aaron Smith but overall I like the physical toughnness of this group...and that includes Parker.

Edman
01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
The only place where the Steelers are losing their physical edge is in the trenches. Our O-Line is soft. I can't count how many times Ben was pressured up the middle this year. We need a mauler at Center and Guard.

D-Line needs some help too. We really, REALLY missed Aaron Smith.

klick81
01-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Although some of the individual players HAVE been physical recently, I do not think the same can be said for the team as a whole. I partly agree witht he OP on this one.

Rhee Rhee
01-21-2008, 03:43 AM
enough with the WIllie parker isnt physical shit.... he plays tough and hes not like some small scatback like Maurice JonesDrew... hes fast, but he gets a lot of yards in between the tackles

i think it's a little unfair to call MoJo a scatback because he basically only runs dive plays... while scatbacks are usually ones who bounce runs to the outside...

anyway just becaues we are turning into a finesse team does not mean we lose our physicality... besides Ike is one of the most physical CBs....

Galax Steeler
01-21-2008, 04:50 AM
I think we are still physical we had alot of games where players wasn't a 100% we need to address a center and be more physical there but all around we are a good pysical football team.

Lord Stiller
01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Ike Taylor is one of the more physical corners in the NFL .

No he isnt. Im a big Ike Taylor fan and he is definitely a very good corner but is not as physical as you state

and Anthony Smith can knock somebody's head off..

Ya but we benched him for a guy that cant tackle or run fast.....oh and it cost us our season too

Jeremy
01-21-2008, 09:18 AM
In a word......yes.

Almost every unit on the football team could stand to be far tougher than it is right now.

Michael Keller
01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Does anyone feel like we are no longer going to be the physical team we used to be?? Out Star running back is not a big physical back. our defensive corners are not physical. Our defensive pass rush is not physical nor is our offensive line?? Am I crazy or do i see a trend here???:helmet:

The Pittsburgh Steelers as a team , not withstanding certain players like Ward and Harrison , were clearly not physical and did not play with pace through out the year.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind . It hurt when one national commentator said that Jacksonville played more like the Pittsburgh Steelers than the the real Pittsburgh Steelers.

Coy Bacon, defensive lineman, of the Cinncinnati Bengals in the 70's in a moment of honesty said he used to get so nervous when the Steelers came to play the Bengals that he would literaly get the shakes. This past team did not cause any such worry for any opponent.

The Steelers must get their swagger back and they can but it is only going to happen if they recognize they lost it. The Final Jacksonville game in some ways , especially the second half showed me the potential is there. I must admit I saw the fire in that game. Stupid play calling doused that fire out, did it not.

Preacher
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Our CB's are not physical... BY SCHEME. Dang... I swear I am getting blue in the face explaining this.

Ok people. Class is in session. LeBeau deploys the zone blitz scheme. That means we send blitzes from all different areas, leaving specific zones open, making other players responsible for those zones that have been left. When a left outside or inside LB blitzes from his zone, the CB on that side is responsible for covering any and all runs through that zone. If the CB plays physical, up on the line, the WR can lock up on him and it opens the zone for a major run. The CB HAS to play unphysical, staying off the WR until it is CLEAR that the play is a run play. At that point, the receiver is usually beyond the 5 yard barrier for contact.

Thus, our CB's are not physical BY DESIGN OF DICK LEBEAU.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 05:37 PM
No he isnt. Im a big Ike Taylor fan and he is definitely a very good corner but is not as physical as you state

Ya but we benched him for a guy that cant tackle or run fast.....oh and it cost us our season too

No kidding, I hated the move to sit Smith...I mean, maybe not start him, make him think about it, but to be benched, that sucked, the kid is a monster hitter and just is raw in his decision making, so they went to a true "safety" that was just going to sit back and keep everything underneath him...23 yard scrambles underneath him.

Anthony Smith will be Starting next season, and I have feeling, by the time next year is over, people will know his name.

Preacher
01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
No kidding, I hated the move to sit Smith...I mean, maybe not start him, make him think about it, but to be benched, that sucked, the kid is a monster hitter and just is raw in his decision making, so they went to a true "safety" that was just going to sit back and keep everything underneath him...23 yard scrambles underneath him.

Anthony Smith will be Starting next season, and I have feeling, by the time next year is over, people will know his name.

I love the kid. He is our future. I also loved the fact that the kid got benched. Like Ike last year, I think it will be a driving factor in the offseason. He will grow from that benching and hopefully come back to be a GREAT FS.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
It all starts with the guy snapping the ball. That's my opinion. Losing our Center to retirement was the biggest issue we had to overcome, and our free agent pick up didn't get the job done. If your center is a beast, the people around him will be monsters as well. If your Center is a kittycat...then the others around him will eventually take on his purring.

That's where it all starts. Give me a Monster Beast, Flesh Eating, Back Breaking Head Smashing, Life Taking CENTER and I'll be happy going into the Season next year.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I love the kid. He is our future. I also loved the fact that the kid got benched. Like Ike last year, I think it will be a driving factor in the offseason. He will grow from that benching and hopefully come back to be a GREAT FS.

I'm sure you are right, I think the decision to bench him did have some "long term goals" in mind. Getting his head straight. If he never made that prediction, would he still have gotten benched for a couple blown coverages, probably not. It was probably a "grow up kid" decision as much as anything.

Preacher
01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm sure you are right, I think the decision to bench him did have some "long term goals" in mind. Getting his head straight. If he never made that prediction, would he still have gotten benched for a couple blown coverages, probably not. It was probably a "grow up kid" decision as much as anything.

Absolutely... and a good way of putting it.

youngsteeler58
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
why in the world do we need a mascot? For years, we have been know as an "old school" team. There has been no "pretty boy" image, like the patriots have. Now all of a sudden, we have a goofy mascot. I thought we were "old school", no frills just football. People want to get rid of the grass, some are talking about a dome, and now we have a mascot. What is gonna be next? Cheerleaders!?

Elvis
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I honestly think that the Steelers are ok at FS for now, but if Clark or Smith does not step up this upcoming season, then it is time to get someone to play across from Polomalu. I just hate the thought of anyone on any team, especially the Steelers, to gaurentee a win... that just doesnt work. I like the way the Steelers went into our Super Bowl run 3 years ago, Ben saying " we will have to play a perfect game to win "... all along, I betcha that he was smiling inside saying... " yeah... we are gonna kick their butts " Vs the Colts
Oh yeah, we are really losing our Physicall way of playing offense, but our defense is still as physical as they come I believe
:tt02:

tony hipchest
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
why in the world do we need a mascot? For years, we have been know as an "old school" team. There has been no "pretty boy" image, like the patriots have. Now all of a sudden, we have a goofy mascot. I thought we were "old school", no frills just football. People want to get rid of the grass, some are talking about a dome, and now we have a mascot. What is gonna be next? Cheerleaders!?SLURPIES dammit! heinz field needs SLURPIES!

...and a smoothie stand! some people simply dont want beer when they go to a game.

...and peanuts should be replaced with powder blue and pink cotton candy!

instead of fans waving their terrible towel they can wave their bags of pastel colored fuzzy sugar! :tt02:

you just cant do that with nuts.... :dang:

VTsteel
01-23-2008, 05:58 AM
It all starts with the guy snapping the ball. That's my opinion. Losing our Center to retirement was the biggest issue we had to overcome, and our free agent pick up didn't get the job done. If your center is a beast, the people around him will be monsters as well. If your Center is a kittycat...then the others around him will eventually take on his purring.

That's where it all starts. Give me a Monster Beast, Flesh Eating, Back Breaking Head Smashing, Life Taking CENTER and I'll be happy going into the Season next year.

I completely agree with this. Mahan didn't get the job done and I don't believe he is the right center piece for the o-line. Is he worhty of being Faneca's replacement? - Maybe. But, our percieved lack of physicality all begins in the trenches. I.M.O. - We need a quality, hard-nosed center to set the tone.

stlrtruck
01-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I felt this way a couple of times during Cowher's reign. However, what I learned during those times was that the expectation I set as a fan was unrealistic. Every team has seasons where they are not themselves. And although we won the division the team was not the Pittsburgh Steelers that, I, as a fan remember.

I believe that they will find that physicality, on both sides of the ball, in 2008 and make those who need to pay - pay dearly!

lilyoder6
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
but u could throw the nuts at ppl tho...

tony hipchest
01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
after the rooneys take a wrecking ball to heinz field and build a dome, they should blast in Olivia Newton John's "Lets Get Physical" over the PA's as the steelers take the field.

that will show the opponents how tough we are...

oh, and we need more spit from tomlin, along with that thing where all the players circle around him with an arm towards the center as he yells "one...two...three...PHYSICAL"

bratsinmybelly
01-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Physical football = dominating the line of scrimmage + laying some big hits on both sides of the ball. We still have the big hits part down well enough, it's the LOS thing that we really need to fix. Oh, and definitely more spit from Tomlin.

SteelDogFan
01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
It is not that the Steelers are less physical. Its the perception of physical that is changing. When the team goes from, run to set up the pass to pass to set up the run the perception is you have become soft or the main quote is, flashy.

Also add the fact the fact that the teams running style has changed completely from three yards and a cloud of dust up the middle to sweeps and off tackle it will seem as though the physicality of the team is slipping but its not.

I wont say we are as physical as the 96-97 teams but we are just as physical as any team in the league.

Havent been around for a while even watching last weeks playoff games I still found myself saying, "I CAN'T BELIEVE WE LOST THAT GAME!!!!" I HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY MADDEN YET EITHER.

SteelersJW
01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Who the hell plays more physical than Hines Ward?

lilyoder6
01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
hines is th emost physical wr in the game.. and more physical than cb's and some safeties...

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-26-2008, 12:06 AM
This team has absolutely lost the physical edge. Our defense was a complete disgrace the last half of the season. Again, I don't want to get into another Tomlin debate but he stressed the idea of "fundamentals" when he took over as HC. As it stands, the fundamentals on this team stink. Harrison is about the only player on the defense that actually "wraps up his tackles." I've never seen us have such a miserable defensive unit. Even though Troy P. battled through injuries in 07', I felt he was a huge disappointment. We need to get more from our "money men (guys with big time salaries). It pisses me off when these guys get huge contracts and they freak'in stink!

Lord Stiller
01-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Physical football = dominating the line of scrimmage + laying some big hits on both sides of the ball. We still have the big hits part down well enough, it's the LOS thing that we really need to fix. Oh, and definitely more spit from Tomlin.

Good post. I agree

Any team would lose its physical stamp when starting a huge gaping vagina at Center

BigBen403
01-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe at times it seem we were less physical, but let's ask the ravens about the monday night game in Pittsburgh and see what they say, or what happened to the seaschickens when they faced the steelers ??? I saw some brutal hits layed on the other team, plus our WR's punish people when they are throwing blocks, hell even our QB is mean, not like the little girl tom brady....

Go Steelers Go !!!!

Dino 6 Rings
01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
So does anyone have any idea who's butt Ben is putting his hands under next season? Are we done with the Mahan experiment at Center or do we have another year of that guy being pushed around at the Center postion?

Anyone?

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
if mahan doesn't get stronger then get a new center..

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
if mahan doesn't get stronger then get a new center..

Ok, get a new center...right...Where exactly to you get a starting Center for the Pittsburgh Steelers, have you seen the FA market for centers, have you seen the draft this year for Centers...

Center is going to be the biggest question going into next season, that's a huge gap, and effects the entire offense from the first to last snap.

Lord Stiller
01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok, get a new center...right...Where exactly to you get a starting Center for the Pittsburgh Steelers, have you seen the FA market for centers, have you seen the draft this year for Centers...

Center is going to be the biggest question going into next season, that's a huge gap, and effects the entire offense from the first to last snap.

LOL, where did we get Mahan? From a trash can?

We can easily get someone better than him, come on!

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
true and we don't have to restrict our search to just center. we could get a guard who has had center playing time..

Rhee Rhee
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
ugh we shoulda snatched nick mangold (stupid jets took him so early...) he woulda solved that center problem for 10+ years...

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
mangold is a good center.. but oh well.. maybe there could be a center sleeper in the draft..

Lord Stiller
01-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Mangold is awesome, but dont forget we got Santonio Holmes instead