PDA

View Full Version : Addressing Issues

maxemillion
01-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Since im being tortured having to watch the Patriot and Giants today, i have some free time to address certain issue i have with my beloved Steeler team.

First: Its time to admit that our team is cheap, i wish it wasnt the case but im afraid its true. The Steelers could argue that their way of doing business has produced 5 titles and I cant dispute that however before anyone flips out just think back to the 90's when we went to the championship game 4 out of 6 year and only went to the Super Bowl once. Our team has never been one to sign any substantial free agents, that team was one or two players away from a dynasty itself. Instead it slowly lost talent to age and F.A.
Now they are saying that they are going to let Faneca go (our best lineman who in my opinion is alittle over-rated but still very good). The line, which at one point was a strength is now a glaring weakness. We are in the top 3 in merchandising and 25 million under the cap, what is going on.

Second: What was up w/ our '07 draft. (This is not a hind site issue, these are issues i had from day one). We drafted 2 LB'ers with our 1st and 2nd round pics, an extremely slow TE with our third, and a Punter who cant kick the ball more than 35 yards when it counts. In my opinion that draft was a complete throwaway.

Third: (Looks at the Patriots) In an era where teams are forced to make moves on draft day and in free agency our team does nothing. The last big move the Steelers made was trading for Bettis, that was a long time ago. Last year i watched the Jets move up to take Revis from the Steelers. We let Porter go and i was glad (tired of his big mouth) but couldnt we have gotten at least a 5th round pick in a trade. I hate the Pats but look how they position themselves, this year they had two 1st rounders before losing one w/ spygate. This years draft is stacked, it would be nice to have additional picks but no not us.

Fourth: Our CB's Suck, our line is weak. We rely on tricks and deception to get sacks which puts our secondary at risk. It would be nice to have a DE that could pass rush in stead of relying on LB who arent strong enough to move OL men (Silverback not included).

Fifth and lastly: Our offensive coordinator is incompetent. It seems that Ben has a different one every year. Think back to the Jets game and Jags game. I saw enough middle screens and the same running plays again and again. It made me sick. Can fast Willie break a tackle once or does he need a hole the size of the one he had during the Super Bowl.

I know it sound like im angry but this stuff has been driving me crazy for 20 years now. I love my Steelers and always will but evolution is the key to survival and i want the Steelers to have a dynasty not the F'ing Patriots.

With our draft picks this year i want as follows: 1st- CB Aqib Talib from Kansas
2nd & 4th- OT Draft is stacked at this position so name not important, spend two picks on T because Guards in this draft are not as strong (yes even if we lose Faneca), could always move them to guard temporarily and best OL man will definitely be at Tackle ( Not to mention we need two especially if one doesnt pan out).
3rd- RB- Draft also strong at this position. I saw that people want Slaton, are you serious (he has the same style as Parker and will go too high as will Stewart. If Ray Rice from Rutgers is available or someone that runs strong like Justin Forsett take him even if it takes a second rounder... then use the 3rd rounder for a Tackle.
5th- WR with size and hands (Keep an eye on the guy from Coastal Carolina). Sleepers usually come from smaller schools and can be had at later rounds (remember where the studs from the '70's came from).

Your feedback is welcomed. Thanks for reading.:helmet:

fansince'76
01-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Great - more of the "Rooneys are cheap" garbage. Sorry, I lost interest in the rest and didn't bother after reading that part. :coffee:

19ward86
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
yeah, first mistake, calling us cheap, i dont care how "diehard" you think you are...most of the big dogs here all made the same mistake as you, saying we are cheap, or we arent physical, or even that we suck...you will learn that the real diehard fans support the rooneys and everything that goes along with them because they are fans, dont have to agree, but support. you are new and you are lucky we arent judgemental enough to just forget about you ever being here. make statements which can get good feedback that arent completely bogus. woodley and timmons worthless...you are nuts if u truly feel this way....spaeth slow, he is a blocking TE with hands of a reciever, reminds me a lot of jerame tumane. we have done a lot of great things but we still need to improve just dont come on here and be disrespectful to the organization.

The Duke
01-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Its time to admit that our team is cheap

:blah: :blah: :blah:

how may times do we have to hear the same

It would be nice to have a DE that could pass rush in stead of relying on LB who arent strong enough to move OL men

we have a 3-4 defense , linemen aren't supposed to provide the pressure, when are people gonna understand that??

Our CB's Suck

please explain

Our offensive coordinator is incompetent. It seems that Ben has a different one every year

he's had two O coordinators in 4 years, that sounds better than many teams in the league

btw, welcome to the board dude :cheers:

paw-n-maul-u
01-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Since im being tortured having to watch the Patriot and Giants today, i have some free time to address certain issue i have with my beloved Steeler team.

First: Its time to admit that our team is cheapThey spend all their money In-House, i wish it wasnt the case but im afraid its true. The Steelers could argue that their way of doing business has produced 5 titles and I cant dispute that however before anyone flips out just think back to the 90's when we went to the championship game 4 out of 6 year and only went to the Super Bowl once. Our team has never been one to sign any substantial free agents, that team was one or two players away from a dynasty itself. Instead it slowly lost talent to age and F.A.
Now they are saying that they are going to let Faneca go (our best lineman who in my opinion is alittle over-rated but still very good). The line, which at one point was a strength is now a glaring weakness. We are in the top 3 in merchandising and 25 million under the cap, what is going on.

(Maybe 18 Mil, what does merchandising have to do w/ the cap?) I don't understand the corelation between Merchandising and Cap at all, what!?!?

Second: What was up w/ our '07 draft. (This is not a hind site issue, these are issues i had from day one). We drafted 2 LB'ers with our 1st and 2nd round pics, an extremely slow TE with our third, and a Punter who cant kick the ball more than 35 yards when it counts. In my opinion that draft was a complete throwaway.

How is that a throw away ... We lost our "best" LB the year before, and obviously needed an upgrade there.

-Got a steal w/ speath, who you will see, it's nice to have another good TE. (see Shockey and Boss of the NY football Giants)

Sep. can kick the hell outta the ball, two time Ray Guy winner, only two time in history ... plus, he's a fourth round Pick, and an automatic starter. What the hell more do you want w/ your fourth round pick? If you could tell me that every fourth round pick we spend would end up a starter ...

Third: (Looks at the Patriots) In an era where teams are forced to make moves on draft day and in free agency our team does nothing. The last big move the Steelers made was trading for Bettis, that was a long time ago. Last year i watched the Jets move up to take Revis from the Steelers. We let Porter go and i was glad (tired of his big mouth) but couldnt we have gotten at least a 5th round pick in a trade. I hate the Pats but look how they position themselves, this year they had two 1st rounders before losing one w/ spygate. This years draft is stacked, it would be nice to have additional picks but no not us.

This I semi-agree, porter got a 20 mil. guaranteed 32 mil. total contract, and we can't even get a f*ckin second DAY pick? I mean honestly, that would have atleast STFU the people who b*tch about sepulveda all day (SEE CURRENT THREAD for i.e.)

Fourth: Our CB's Suck, our line is weak. We rely on tricks and deception to get sacks which puts our secondary at risk. It would be nice to have a DE that could pass rush in stead of relying on LB who arent strong enough to move OL men (Silverback not included).

Dude you retard, that makes no sense, you BITCH about how our draft was a throw away, then completely contradict yourself when you say it would be nice to have a pass rush, well, uhhhhhhhh is that not why we "threw away" our whole draft on the LB's that you hate?

Fifth and lastly: Our offensive coordinator is incompetent. It seems that Ben has a different one every year. Think back to the Jets game and Jags game. I saw enough middle screens and the same running plays again and again. It made me sick. Can fast Willie break a tackle once or does he need a hole the size of the one he had during the Super Bowl.

It would be nice if he had one a quarter of the size of the superbowl, but alas, our line is not the same, at all ... and he just needs better blockers, that has nothing to do with B.A, although I have questioned the playcalling on occasion as well.

I know it sound like im angry but this stuff has been driving me crazy for 20 years now. I love my Steelers and always will but evolution is the key to survival and i want the Steelers to have a dynasty not the F'ing Patriots.

With our draft picks this year i want as follows: 1st- CB Aqib Talib from Kansas
2nd & 4th- OT Draft is stacked at this position so name not important, spend two picks on T because Guards in this draft are not as strong (yes even if we lose Faneca), could always move them to guard temporarily and best OL man will definitely be at Tackle ( Not to mention we need two especially if one doesnt pan out).
3rd- RB- Draft also strong at this position. I saw that people want Slaton, are you serious (he has the same style as Parker and will go too high as will Stewart. If Ray Rice from Rutgers is available or someone that runs strong like Justin Forsett take him even if it takes a second rounder... then use the 3rd rounder for a Tackle.
5th- WR with size and hands (Keep an eye on the guy from Coastal Carolina). Sleepers usually come from smaller schools and can be had at later rounds (remember where the studs from the '70's came from).

bold please

Preacher
01-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Rooneys cheap?

Yeah, that is why we play just a few hundred thousand under the cap every year... just enough to pick up a player if someone gets hurt.. much like we did with Verron Haynes.

We are 25 mill or so under the cap NOW because contracts have expired as of our last game.

Rooneys aren't cheap, they spread out the money to more players. IT works better.

Rhee Rhee
01-21-2008, 04:00 AM

First: Its time to admit that our team is cheap, i wish it wasnt the case but im afraid its true. The Steelers could argue that their way of doing business has produced 5 titles and I cant dispute that however before anyone flips out just think back to the 90's when we went to the championship game 4 out of 6 year and only went to the Super Bowl once. Our team has never been one to sign any substantial free agents, that team was one or two players away from a dynasty itself. Instead it slowly lost talent to age and F.A.

What a first post!

Anyway down to cold hard facts...

some of what u say is very true... while others apall (sp?) me... yah the rooneys are cheap... 20 years of bein a pittsburgh fan shoulda taught u that by now... the 2007 draft wasn't a complete waste... we found our future LOLB... we got our future MLB, future punter, and a reliable nickel/dime corner in william gay.... we did arite... its not like the draft where we got all those HOFers but hey... when's the last time any team has done that?

we might get exttra picks because of losing porter... (compensatory picks i think they're called?) and ya we shoulda got him for somethin but what can u do... sure the patriots can buy a championship but they'll be the patriots pre 2000 in a couple years with more than half their team ages 30+.... our CBs do not suck... Ike is a great talent and deshea is extremely underrated and reliable... and ya as Duke mentioned DE's dont get sacks in a 3-4... if ur saying we should switch to a 4-3 that'll require a lot of money and work and why change our defense if it was number 1 this year?

our coaching staff is OK not great but OK i'd take bruce arians over the guy the ravens hired anyday... harbaugh i think?

Galax Steeler
01-21-2008, 04:54 AM
I don't see where our draft was a bust we came out with some very good players and as far as the rooneys we all know they are cheap.

fansince'76
01-21-2008, 09:19 AM
yah the rooneys are cheap... 20 years of bein a pittsburgh fan shoulda taught u that by now...

Let me ask you this - if the Rooneys are so cheap, why is it that the team has basically NO cap room year in and year out? It's the NFL, not Madden '07 Franchise Mode.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I think some of you are confusing "cheap" with selling out the team for a one year shot at the SB. Way too much McDonalds mentality going on here!!!

If cheap means being a contender on a regular basis...a perrinial playoff team...and the owners of 5 Lombardies...then I will take the Rooneys "cheapness" and thank them for knowing how to draft and not trading our teams future away for an "I want it now" fanbase.

Lord Stiller
01-21-2008, 09:38 AM
we'll see how 'cheap' they are when Big Ben gets a fat payday

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I believe the Rooneys are smart and savvy businessmen, not at all cheap.

When you go shopping for a car, house, even groceries - don't you always try to get the best deal you can? I know I sure do.

The Rooneys - going way back to ownership under The Chief - have always believed in developing within their system, which has been proven to be successful for over 4 decades. Rome wasn't built in a day and all teams go through rebuilding, as the Steelers are beginning to experience presently and most likely will for the next several years. I'm a firm believer in "growing your own".

Edman
01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Congratulations are in order.

A hearty congratulations to the Topic Creator. You have posted the first "The Rooneys are cheap" topic of the Steelers offseason.:coffee:

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM

A hearty congratulations to the Topic Creator. You have posted the first "The Rooneys are cheap" topic of the Steelers offseason.:coffee:

It's going to be a looooooooong offseason, Ed. :dang:

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM

A hearty congratulations to the Topic Creator. You have posted the first "The Rooneys are cheap" topic of the Steelers offseason.:coffee:http://http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1347/youwintheprizeyr2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Edman
01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
I'll be inclined to agree, Hometown. The Penguins ease the wait though, but after that, it's the long wait until Training Camp.

Speaking of the Summer. TC, go be a Pirates fan for a couple years if you think the Steelers are such a horribly run team ran by some cheap typewads.

Rhee Rhee
01-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Let me ask you this - if the Rooneys are so cheap, why is it that the team has basically NO cap room year in and year out? It's the NFL, not Madden '07 Franchise Mode.

okok cheap was the wrong word BUT they focus in on the valuable players and resign them for a premium... a la troy, hines and soon to be ben... i wouldn't say we have "NO camp room" we have flexibility to sign a couple guys but why would you? through the draft we can adress most of our problems...

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I'll be inclined to agree, Hometown. The Penguins ease the wait though, but after that, it's the long wait until Training Camp.

Speaking of the Summer. TC, go be a Pirates fan for a couple years if you think the Steelers are such a horribly run team ran by some cheap typewads.

I have NASCAR from February through November, and it's a great filler! :thumbsup:

AMEN to your statement about being a Pirates fan. Some of these people don't know how lucky they have it having the Rooneys as team owners rather than the Nutt-jobs. :dang:

Stlrs4Life
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Great - more of the "Rooneys are cheap" garbage. Sorry, I lost interest in the rest and didn't bother after reading that part. :coffee:

Same here. People forget that there is a salary cap that they have to follow. They just paid Troy P. huge money, and will be paying Ben huge $$$ also.

SteelerTim
01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess if you don't sign all those big name free agents and mortgage your future you must be labeled "cheap". I suggest if you want an owner who isn't cheap then become a fan of the redskins. They are only 22 million OVER the cap and I believe that is with only 40 people under contract.

The Rooney's have a knack for keeping the team competitive without putting us in cap jail. I like that.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM
What a first post!

Anyway down to cold hard facts...

some of what u say is very true... while others apall (sp?) me... yah the rooneys are cheap... 20 years of bein a pittsburgh fan shoulda taught u that by now... the 2007 draft wasn't a complete waste... we found our future LOLB... we got our future MLB, future punter, and a reliable nickel/dime corner in william gay....

our coaching staff is OK not great but OK i'd take bruce arians over the guy the ravens hired anyday... harbaugh i think?

Finally someone else sees the potential in Gay from Louisville. I'm a PITT fan and that guy drove me crazy whenever we'd play them. He's a total ball hawk and could really improve our CBs next season if he bulks up a little this off season. Plus Woodley seems more and more like a steal in the Second Round. Timmons still has tons to prove, as a 1st rounder, he must play up to the hype, just as Ben has, Miller, Troy, Hampton, and Holmes all have.