PDA

View Full Version : bens tall receiver for next year is....

19ward86
01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
who else but WALTER YOUNG!!!!!.....woo....hoo? some know him some dont, he has been on our practice squad for the last 2 or 3 yrs. he had 1 catch in the playoffs the year we won the soup bowl, and i think he had 1 catch in the regular season last year. here is his info:

http://www.nfl.com/players/walteryoung/profile?id=YOU619803

he has some pretty amazing stats.jk, no offense walt. this guy is a solid guy with hines speed(not quickness but speed). he is kind of a tweener, he has the build and speed of a TE and the hands and strength of a WR. he isnt bad though, for all you madden players check out madden05 and he is with the carolina panthers.

Mosca
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
You know what, I work with a guy who is 6'5"/228. I think he's our next big WR.

MasterOfPuppets
01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
You know what, I work with a guy who is 6'5"/228. I think he's our next big WR.:jawdrop:....what's he run in the 40 ???

19ward86
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
jerks...jk, im not saying he is the next anybody, but the fact that we probably wont go out and get a big reciever tells me that this guy is #1 on our list. knows our plays, solid in camp, does good in preseason. hey man, knowing your "fellow workers" exact body weight is kind of creepy.

Rhee Rhee
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
who else but WALTER YOUNG!!!!!.....woo....hoo? some know him some dont, he has been on our practice squad for the last 2 or 3 yrs. he had 1 catch in the playoffs the year we won the soup bowl, and i think he had 1 catch in the regular season last year. here is his info:

he has some pretty amazing stats.jk, no offense walt. this guy is a solid guy with hines speed(not quickness but speed). he is kind of a tweener, he has the build and speed of a TE and the hands and strength of a WR. he isnt bad though, for all you madden players check out madden05 and he is with the carolina panthers.

where is he in madden 06, 07 and 08???

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't see why not see what the draft has to offer. Although If I'm Kevin Colbert right now, I'm more worried about pick up linemen Offensively AND Defensively.

Mosca
01-21-2008, 02:57 PM
J/K... I looked at Young's record, though; 28 years old, on the Panthers in '03, 7 games no action... not on any active roster '04, '05... Steelers '06, one catch... not on any active roster '07. There are guys like him all over the country. Maxed out the talent in college, barely hanging on in the NFL on the practice squad. If the guy was going to make it, he would have made it by now.

aburdell
01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
All this talk about big recievers makes me think of adding a big running back. Anybody remember Micheal Bush from Louisville? He was a rookie this year and was on the Raiders I think. I wonder if anybody is lookin at him with the crowded backfield that the Raiders have. He is never getting playing time with the emergence of Fargus and Rhodes is there and Jordan too. I always liked Bush in college he was a great runner with Brandon Jacobs size. Too bad he had that broken leg his senoir year, he coulda went 1st round. Not sure how he has recovered, but just wanted to throw it out there incase Colbert is readin this.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Didn't Bush from Louisville break his leg his senior year...not sure we would want to take a chance on a guy with a broke leg...since you know...we are already dealing with a guy coming off a broken leg.

revefsreleets
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Young will get his obligatory annual shot to make the roster, I'm sure. And he will "drop the ball" once again (pardon the pun).

jjpro11
01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
i want us to pick up a decent wr FA.. not randy moss, but there are a number of taller guys available that could get the job done. our draft priority will be the both sides of the line.. no sense wasting a pick on another fred gibson.

Lord Stiller
01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
who else but WALTER YOUNG!!!!!

We are going to send Ben to NFL Europe???? j/k

there is a reason why he never makes the squad. dude is slooooooowwwwwwwww

ChronoCross
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM

I have always wanted Walter Young on the starting roster. But there is down falls to this. Walter still has not got down running correct routes for plays. Ya he had a pretty good time in NFL Europe and looked great. He has great hands, but it falls back to his route running.
Walter was drafted in 2003 by the Panthers, he has been trying to become a better route runner since then and has not panned out because the kid just does not get it. If he cannot get it in 4 years he is not going to get it in his 5th year of bouncing around and not getting signed.
So even tho I like the kid he is not the future nor will you see him again. Teams will not take no more chances of a waste of a time on a player who just does not learn and execute good.

Aussie_steeler
01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I have always wanted Walter Young on the starting roster. But there is down falls to this. Walter still has not got down running correct routes for plays. Ya he had a pretty good time in NFL Europe and looked great. He has great hands, but it falls back to his route running.
Walter was drafted in 2003 by the Panthers, he has been trying to become a better route runner since then and has not panned out because the kid just does not get it. If he cannot get it in 4 years he is not going to get it in his 5th year of bouncing around and not getting signed.
So even tho I like the kid he is not the future nor will you see him again. Teams will not take no more chances of a waste of a time on a player who just does not learn and execute good.

More than likely his chance will now be given to Dallas Baker.

lilyoder6
01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
they should just use young and the only route he should run is a streak by the sideline.. all he has to do is run straight and jump... lol. it's basically the only thing he knows how to do..

Steel Pit
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Is Walter Young Steve Young's brother?

Steel Pit
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Is Walter Young Steve Young's brother?

Nah, 19ward86 could be right. Who knows" The Steelers kept Willie Reid on their roster all season and we all know what a big contributer he was.

As 19ward86 pointed out, the Steelers aren't going to go out and bag a big-time free agent WR so I could see them keeping another project, such as Reid, on the active roster next season. Young certainly couldn't contribute any less than Reid.

MDSteel15
01-21-2008, 09:08 PM
1. Cut Young Reid and Wilson.
2. Bring up Dallas Baker.
3. Draft a "Big" WR for Ben.
4. Go get a FA WR like Bernard Berrian, Andre Davis or Johnson from AZ.

steel striker
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
We had our big tall wr plex and, he went for the money like everyone else. Plex had a great game the other night against the packers. Although he whined and complain alot around here while he was in the burgh. I big tall wr would be nice but, we have other issues like the o-line, special teams, and tackling on defense.

19ward86
01-22-2008, 12:08 AM
unless we get a free agent i think it is dallas baker or walter young, i dont see the rooneys doing anything in the draft because we need other positions to be filled. the free agency is basically a pool of guys that are about to be overpaid. the steelers have stayed away from free agency for 75 seasons and i have a feeling that the 76th isnt going to be different.

fansince'76
01-22-2008, 12:16 AM
We had our big tall wr plex and, he went for the money like everyone else. Plex had a great game the other night against the packers.

I knew it was just a matter of time before this was brought up. We won a SB without his services as well, which everyone seems to conveniently forget when mentioning that malcontent. He dissed the team AND city on his way out to boot. I guess I'm just not as forgiving about those kinds of things as a lot of folks seem to be. He finally made the SB with his new team. Good for him. Too bad it'll more than likely be a losing effort and he'll still have no ring to show for it afterwards.

Galax Steeler
01-22-2008, 03:40 AM
I knew it was just a matter of time before this was brought up. We won a SB without his services as well, which everyone seems to conveniently forget when mentioning that malcontent. He dissed the team AND city on his way out to boot. I guess I'm just not as forgiving about those kinds of things as a lot of folks seem to be. He finally made the SB with his new team. Good for him. Too bad it'll more than likely be a losing effort and he'll still have no ring to show for it afterwards.

Agreed plex just didn't fit into the system in pittsburgh, and your right he probabley won't have a ring this go around.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Three reasons that grabbing tall recievers (that have slipped out of the first three rounds) is a bad idea.

1) Walter Young
2) Fred Gibson
3) Dallas Baker

lilyoder6
01-22-2008, 08:56 AM
think if mario mannigham is still availble he would be a nice pick up, fast, all and played very well at michigan..

TackleMeBen
01-22-2008, 09:30 AM
think if mario mannigham is still availble he would be a nice pick up, fast, all and played very well at michigan..

i highly doubt manningham will be available for the steelers. although i wouldnt mind seeing him in the black gold... he was awesome at michigan. (but who isnt, b/c michigan is the best..lol:flap:)

Dino 6 Rings
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
now we are just being silly, Mannigham won't be available unless we pull a Holmes trade and jump up to grab him. I don't see that happening.

But yes, He would make a fantastic #3 receiver and that would put the fear into some teams in the league. "Crap, the Steelers have 3 guys with great hands now. Crap"

But, they'd still say "too bad they can't pass block" and we'd be S-crewed.

TackleMeBen
01-22-2008, 12:06 PM
But, they'd still say "too bad they can't pass block" and we'd be S-crewed.

that is too funny..lol.

lilyoder6
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
u never know whats going to happen on draft day??? but i think FA is going to be a big part on what we do in the draft..

SteelerTim
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Maybe Weegie Thompson is still available :wink02:

aclark99
01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Jerry Porter is available and would look great in the black & gold. He went to college in Morgantown. He has great upside and would work well with Ben, Ward & Holmes. He is still young and is fast and tall. Sounds like a great match for us. :thumbsup:

bratsinmybelly
01-23-2008, 01:13 AM
If Jacksonville is stupid enough to cut Matt Jones, he would be an absolute steal. I know he has a bad rap for loafing, but as someone who watched him through high school and college I can tell you that this is a bogus charge. He's tall (6'6") and lanky with long legs so he doesn't appear to be moving very fast when in fact he's blazing (4.3 forty....look it up). He also started @ QB for 4 years in college so he could bring back the versatility that we had with Randle El (remember those awesome gadgets). He's gotten lost in the mix in Jax. and there is talk of him being cut. If this happens, he could quite possibly turn out to be the coup of the year for someone. I for one hope like heck it's us.

changAlang24
01-23-2008, 02:22 AM
I wouldnt mind taking a flier on Justin Gage. Hes got some size (6'4'') and hed come very cheap.

Rhee Rhee
01-23-2008, 02:31 AM
If Jacksonville is stupid enough to cut Matt Jones, he would be an absolute steal. I know he has a bad rap for loafing, but as someone who watched him through high school and college I can tell you that this is a bogus charge. He's tall (6'6") and lanky with long legs so he doesn't appear to be moving very fast when in fact he's blazing (4.3 forty....look it up). He also started @ QB for 4 years in college so he could bring back the versatility that we had with Randle El (remember those awesome gadgets). He's gotten lost in the mix in Jax. and there is talk of him being cut. If this happens, he could quite possibly turn out to be the coup of the year for someone. I for one hope like heck it's us.

the difference between him and randle el is that randle el could actually catch...

Galax Steeler
01-23-2008, 03:52 AM
I don't really care who we get just as long as they can catch and play ball the one I would like to see is fittzgearld.

lilyoder6
01-23-2008, 09:15 AM
yeah i am with fitz coming.. but i doubt that jack would cut jones, isn't eh there #2 man???

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I wouldnt mind taking a flier on Justin Gage. Hes got some size (6'4'') and hed come very cheap.

When taking into consideration....cap room...fit for our system...and talent...Gage may be the best player for us to go after.

Sure I would rather have Fitz , Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett.....but Gage is better than anyone we have on our roster other than Hines and Santonio and a legit #2 WR on most teams.

Putting Holmes, Ward, Gage, and Washington out when we go with 4 Wr's would be so sweet.

As I have said before...Pick up Wharton at LT...Gage at WR in FA...and I will be doing backflips

SteelerFanInCA
01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
When taking into consideration....cap room...fit for our system...and talent...Gage may be the best player for us to go after.

Sure I would rather have Fitz , Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett.....but Gage is better than anyone we have on our roster other than Hines and Santonio and a legit #2 WR on most teams.

Putting Holmes, Ward, Gage, and Washington out when we go with 4 Wr's would be so sweet.

As I have said before...Pick up Wharton at LT...Gage at WR in FA...and I will be doing backflips

Is this the same Gage who was cut from the Bears? If so, apparently he was cut from the Bears because he couldn't hold on to anything.

I guess he had a pretty decent year this season with the Titans so I'm not sure who the true Gage is. In all fairness though, when he was with the Bears he had Grossman throwing to him. That could have been part of the problem to his dropped passes as well.

bratsinmybelly
01-23-2008, 11:43 PM
the difference between him and randle el is that randle el could actually catch...

Your shallow wit is so catchy, it caught me off guard. Let me throw you a hint, go to youtube and search MJ so you can catch some of his wicked highlights. Don't drop the ball on me now! I expect you to be caught up before you go throwing anymore bullets this way. :cheers:

Rhee Rhee
01-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Your shallow wit is so catchy, it caught me off guard. Let me throw you a hint, go to youtube and search MJ so you can catch some of his wicked highlights. Don't drop the ball on me now! I expect you to be caught up before you go throwing anymore bullets this way. :cheers:

too bad it was in college and not the pros... he coulda won the heisman for all i care.. production in NCAA is no indicator of success in the pros

but i will take a look for u :D

Rhee Rhee
01-24-2008, 02:48 AM
yeah i am with fitz coming.. but i doubt that jack would cut jones, isn't eh there #2 man???

number 3 i think... maybe even four... he's got wilford northcut and williams ahead of him...

bratsinmybelly
01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
He was number two to start last season but fell out of favor with Del Rio so he ended up being inactive for some of the year. They started throwing him the ball late season and he went nuts.
Rhee Rhee, I know that what someone does in college means nothing once they're in the pros. Check out the pro highlights. I'm serious, not only can this guy catch, he makes the wicked one handed acrobatic stuff that is so fun to watch. You know we could get him for cheap.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Honestly I don't think that Matt Jones is any better than Nate Washington.

sherlock
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Well I`m 6"4,maybe they could give me a try-out.
Mind you I`ve never played American Football and I`m not particularly athletic....hmm,the Bengals perhaps. :smile:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Mind you I`ve never played American Football and I`m not particularly athletic....hmm,the Bengals perhaps. :smile:

:sofunny: New to the NFL and you're already dissing on the Bungles.:toofunny::toofunny:

The Duke
01-24-2008, 03:51 PM

:jammin:

you learn fast my friend

sherlock
01-25-2008, 01:17 AM
:jammin:

you learn fast my friend

Hey Duke,Most of what I`ve learned about the Steelers/NFL comes from this forum!:smile:

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
thats good to hear... we are putting u on the right track

Rhee Rhee
01-26-2008, 03:22 PM

you'll be the next rod smith...

undrafted Free Agent...

Future HOFer... :wink02: