PDA

View Full Version : '08-'09 Season will be tougher

Stlr4ever
01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
AFC-North will be tougher--can't take Browns & Bungles for granted.
We will be playing the Colts (entire AFC-S?) at home and Pats in NE.

We need to have much better offense, defense and STs to be able to compete for AFC-N title, AFCC. If we are lucky enough to get the AFCC, we will be facing a much stronger NFC team. The Eagles and Giants came pretty close to beating the Pats. Our team & the Jags were not even close!! Go figure.

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
AFC-North will be tougher--can't take Browns & Bungles for granted.
We will be playing the Colts (entire AFC-S?) at home and Pats in NE.

We need to have much better offense, defense and STs to be able to compete for AFC-N title, AFCC. If we are lucky enough to get the AFCC, we will be facing a much stronger NFC team. The Eagles and Giants came pretty close to beating the Pats. Our team & the Jags were not even close!! Go figure.

We have to face the reality that the Steelers are entering a couple of rebuilding years and hey - we may not win the AFCN for a few years, but that's OK. Rome wasn't built in a day.

No - we can't take the Browns for granted - especially if they play at the same level they did this season, but yes - I will take the Bungles for granted because they are a train wreck, always find a way to Bungle their season up and to put it in a nutshell - they SUCK. :chicken:

Steelerfreak58
01-21-2008, 02:44 PM
A few well picked draft choices, some guys stepping up and taking their shot at a starting position, and the veterans playing solid football is all we need to put a beating on the AFC-N and any other team in the league.

We have plenty of talent to compete.

BlastFurnace
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
The cubbard is far from empty and I don't think the AFC North is out of the question at all....unless Ben is out for the year. If we lose Ben, then it will be a rough year.

The goal for this offseason must....MUST....be to draft for the OL and DL.

I refuse to count this team out 9 months before the next season begins.

Rhee Rhee
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
We have to face the reality that the Steelers are entering a couple of rebuilding years and hey - we may not win the AFCN for a few years, but that's OK. Rome wasn't built in a day.

idk HTG... i have a feeling next year will be somewhat of a success... anytime you have a franchise QB ready and two solid recievers and a stud RB your gona be in it for the longrun... we may not win the AFCN as you say but we'll definitely be in the playoffs... our defense is aging but not yet to the point of the ravens and tampa bay... dont worri... we will have success! :tt02:

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
idk HTG... i have a feeling next year will be somewhat of a success... anytime you have a franchise QB ready and two solid recievers and a stud RB your gona be in it for the longrun... we may not win the AFCN as you say but we'll definitely be in the playoffs... our defense is aging but not yet to the point of the ravens and tampa bay... dont worri... we will have success! :tt02:

It's great that we have a franchise QB, 2 solid wideouts and a stud RB, but the success of an offense is largely dependent upon a team's OL and our OL desperately needs revamped. It still amazes me that Ben and FWP had as much success as they did this past season with that line. Our defense is definitely aging and no - we aren't in desperation mode yet, but the key word is YET. Why wait until they have no choice but to replace them - start rebuilding both the OL and the DL NOW.

Geez- don't skin me alive guys. I didn't say they don't have a chance to win the AFCN. I simply said they "may not" because they are in rebuilding mode. For the Steelers to be successful not only next season but in the seasons that follow, they need to start putting the puzzle together now instead of later, imho.

Steelerfan93
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Well I don't see where we ar in a Rebuilding Mode Not when we have a lot of Young Talent in Holmes Parker Nate WAshinton HEath Miller Matt Spraeth and the Offensive line is PRetty young still, I think we will be fine Next year and we will win the Division again I,m not to Worried about the Browns and the Bengals why should we be worried about them they Suck they always will like they always same old Crapy Bengals, and I,m from the Philly Area the Eagles Suck they will not be a problem for the Steelers, and New England and Indy will be good game, But I think we will be ready next year the coaching Staff will have a Second year under their Belt we will be fine Super Bowl Champs next year

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
It's great that we have a franchise QB, 2 solid wideouts and a stud RB, but the success of an offense is largely dependent upon a team's OL and our OL desperately needs revamped. It still amazes me that Ben and FWP had as much success as they did this past season with that line. Our defense is definitely aging and no - we aren't in desperation mode yet, but the key word is YET. Why wait until they have no choice but to replace them - start rebuilding both the OL and the DL NOW.

Geez- don't skin me alive guys. I didn't say they don't have a chance to win the AFCN. I simply said they "may not" because they are in rebuilding mode. For the Steelers to be successful not only next season but in the seasons that follow, they need to start putting the puzzle together now instead of later, imho.

Come on now HTG, in Pittsburgh we don't rebuild(Well in Football and Hockey at least) We Reload. lol. :sofunny: that's the mode I see us in. We're just reloading.

but yeah we're going to have to fix things up if we are going to compete for back-to-back AFCN titles and not only that, but to go deep in the playoffs. Tomlin laid out a good foundation now, we'll just have to build on it and get rid of the deadweight.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Next year will be tough, but I see us making the playoffs. And on that point, I don't see much difference in winning the division or the wildcard if you still have to play in the wild card round. Of course, I always want us to play at home, but if you can't beat the weakest division winner away in the wild card round, how are you going to advance past the divisional round, away against presumably a better team. Naturally a bye in the first round is preferable, but hard to come by in the AFC.

Having a tougher schedule is not necessarily a bad thing. I could see us getting a wildcard at 10-6 next year but being a better team.

As for the New England game, how about we play them in England instead of Boston? Come on Kraft, do what right for the league. New England and Big Ben in Old England – what could be better?

Stlrs4Life
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
It will be tougher, and if we can upgrade in the OL, and a few other spots. I believe we can do it.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2008, 03:51 PM
The NFL is getting to be like baseball where what matters is who gets hot at the end of the regular season and makes the playoffs as a division winner or wildcard

The Steelers winning 3 playoff road games to go to the SB was unprecedented and 2 years later it has happened again - IMO that is due to free agency and the increasing importance of the QB

I point that out to note rebuilding is not the arduous years in the wilderness process it used to be if you have a QB (which the Steelers do) and that the NFL is wide open these days

I think the Steelers are into a down cycle but if they win the division next season they certainly will be battle tested for the playoffs

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
New England and Big Ben in Old England ? what could be better?

New England and Big Ben at Heinz Field. :thumbsup:

aburdell
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the most important thing for us is getting some players in the draft who actually make an immediate impact. Lets face it besides Sepulveda we got nothing out of the draft except that woodley will be a good pass rusher next year. We will see how Timmons turns out as an inside linebacker. He has talent just needs to keep workin. We need to find guys that make a difference no matter what position. I do agree though it needs to be on the O and D lines. Big Hamp cant do it all himself.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Next Season...I can't even predict...cause looking at this past year, Losing to the Jets, Cardinals, Broncos, were all unthinkable...

So it'll all work itself out.

The Duke
01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Steelers Home Games in 2008:
Baltimore Ravens - without Ryan there is no telling if the D will be any good and the O sucks
Cincinnati Bengals - they suck, need I say more
Cleveland Browns - They are improving,but will they get better or worse, history says worse
Houston Texans - Not telling how good this team can be they have talent on both sides of the ball
Indianapolis Colts - I don't think they are as good as they once were
San Diego Chargers - a tough team
Dallas Cowboys - could fall apart any given week
New York Giants - playing high right now, but not likely to continue into next year

Steelers Away Games in 2008:
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Jacksonville Jaguars - will they be as good as this year???
Tennessee Titans - will not get better
New England Patriots - Will likely get worse, but that doesn't mean much
Philadelphia Eagles - Will once again be a doormat
Washington Redskins -Most likely to have a major let down , like 3-13

I think we can go 4-2 in the Division, I think we could go 3-1 against the NFC East, 2-2 against the AFC South, Subtotal 9-5 so far with Chargers and NE being the wild cards. It's possible we could go 3-1 against the NFC south too. I think we can beat the Chargers at Home and we'll have to see what shakes out in NE this off season. I like our chances of being 10-6 11-5 and a division winner or Wild card.

good analysis, but even if the giants don't continue their stellar play next year( and I think they will) their pass rush will just kill our offensive line if they do not correct it soon

I think 2008 is finally payback against JAX

Peyton ad the colts in a muddy heinz field possibly? I would love to see that, would be a easy win

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Cots, Chargers, Patriots, Giants, Cowboys, Titans, Jags and Redskins. 8 playoff teams of 12 that made it this year. Nothing like a challenge to look forward to. Maybe next year we won't play down to anyone, although, the Texans are a possible let down game, calling that now, 1/21/08, Texans are a let down game waiting to happen in 08.

VTsteel
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I think one other important fact to throw in is that the Brownies, Bungles and Rat-Birds all have to play the AFC South and NFC East divisions as well. Their path to the division title is as hard as ours . . . almost

:sign02:

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
I like the moxie the Giants are playing with, but I can't compare a weak NFC south Div winner and a Weak NFC North Div winner(who beat a weak NFC West Div winner) to what we did in 2005.

Right now I think some Divisions have been gimmes this year.

Three road playoff game wins is impressive against anyone; all you can do is beat whomever you line up against - it was a great accomplishment , but as long as we are trashing the opposition, beating the 2005 Bengals with Jon Kitna and 2005 Broncos with Jake Plummer at the helm was not exactly beating the 85 Bears and 89 49ers:smile:

2005 Indy was better than 2007 Dallas but, let's face it, the Peyton/Dungy Colts will be remembered for doing face plants in the playoffs as much as winning 1 ring.

revefsreleets
01-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again, the Steelers are only a few players away from being an elite NFL team. At most 4-5, maybe as little as 2-3 (considering that I believe we already have most of the talent we need that just needs seasoning or re-positioning).

I think we win 2 more games next year BECAUSE the competition level will increase. 12-4 in 2008.

paw-n-maul-u
01-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Dallas-best NFC record
Giants- in the SB
Skins- made playoffs
Pats-In SB
Colts-Peyton Manning
Chargers- in AFC championship
Titans-In playoffs
Jags- beat us in playoffs

Browns-barely missed playoffs because of tiebreakers
Ravens-When do we EVER sweet them?
Bengals-Still usually a tough game

And Eagles, Texans will be no push over either. That is going to be really tough. and our O-line problems are going to have to get fixed. But I still envision a big year outta our D.

a healthy Troy, R. Clark, A. Smith ... some upgraded youth and pass rush in Timmons and Woodley seeing signifigantly more playing time. Plus another year under the belt from some of your younger guys, B-mac, Gay, A. Smith .... will do WONDERS for our defense.

Our biggest problem i Feel is depth along the D-line, If smith or big snack go down we could be in a pick of trouble again.

ChronoCross
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
We will see more of Tomlins identity come out in the team and it will take smart moves and a good draft to help us in this upcoming season run to the playoffs. If we do things smart and Tomlin gets us back to the playoffs next season I will truely be impressed with him. This season kinda worried me about how he prepped and got the team ready for road games because it sucked. Tomlin will have to overcome the crap on the road on how he got us ready. We have a very tough schedule coming and he will have to coach like a vet to get us to the playoffs and hopefully he learned from his mistakes this season. We will need Ben to improve and work on a quicker release and get faster at reading the field. We need depth on defense. The biggest work we need is at O Line, if Arian wants his long bomb plays to work they better fix that line to give Ben time. Fix the O Line and that Fixes most of are problems right off the bat and puts us in a good position going into the season. And fixed them dam STS.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Dallas-best NFC record
Giants- in the SB
Skins- made playoffs
Pats-In SB
Colts-Peyton Manning
Chargers- in AFC championship
Titans-In playoffs
Jags- beat us in playoffs

Browns-barely missed playoffs because of tiebreakers
Ravens-When do we EVER sweet them?
Bengals-Still usually a tough game

And Eagles, Texans will be no push over either. That is going to be really tough. and our O-line problems are going to have to get fixed. But I still envision a big year outta our D.

a healthy Troy, R. Clark, A. Smith ... some upgraded youth and pass rush in Timmons and Woodley seeing signifigantly more playing time. Plus another year under the belt from some of your younger guys, B-mac, Gay, A. Smith .... will do WONDERS for our defense.

Our biggest problem i Feel is depth along the D-line, If smith or big snack go down we could be in a pick of trouble again.

I badly want to see us beat the Eagles next year because of the fact I have to deal with them and it would be great to just SHUT THEM UP!

I say we go 12-4 at worst barring any setbacks.

Steel Warrior
01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Yep, we have to play the same teams as our division foes except for the last 2 slots that are based upon were you finished the year before, and that could be the killer that determines whether we win the division.

Steelers: Patriots and Chargers
Stains: Denver and Buffalo
Bungles: Kansas City and NY Jets
Ratbirds: Oakland and Miami

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Yep, we have to play the same teams as our division foes except for the last 2 slots that are based upon were you finished the year before, and that could be the killer that determines whether we win the division.

Steelers: Patriots and Chargers
Stains: Denver and Buffalo
Bungles: Kansas City and NY Jets
Ratbirds: Oakland and Miami

If we can get a split, that would be very helpful. Which is more likely to happen then us sweeping both games. but hey, once again, crazier things have happend(ala 2004 run at 15-1 and 2005 at the Super Bowl)

lilyoder6
01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
yea,, i think we need to get more depth at d-line as well so we can switch them out evry 2-3 plays to keep them fresh.. but i just hope we get a good bye week to rest up the players..

Edman
01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
A super-tough first-place schedule is good. We'll see how good the 2008 Steelers are early and often.

Both contenders from Super Bowl XLII.
The Defending Super Bowl Champion.
All 5 AFC playoff teams from 2007.
3 NFC Playoff teams from 2007.

It's gonna be a fun season, I assure you.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
A super-tough first-place schedule is good. We'll see how good the 2008 Steelers are early and often.

Both contenders from Super Bowl XLII.
The Defending Super Bowl Champion.
All 5 AFC playoff teams from 2007.
3 NFC Playoff teams from 2007.

It's gonna be a fun season, I assure you.

Yeah and a majority of them, are teams I hate. It's going to be fun.

MDSteel15
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
How many more years in a row are we gonna ahve to play the Cheat-triots???

OneForTheToe
01-22-2008, 02:43 AM
How many more years in a row are we gonna ahve to play the Cheat-triots???

Well, I like that the Steelers play the Pats most years because they usually win their division and if we play them then it means we won ours. I hope the guys are excited to play the Pats, Jags, Colts Cowboys, Giants, Skins, Titans and Chargers next year. Otherwise, I would be concerned for our future.

As others have said it is hard to predict how well a team will do from year to year, but I do believe there will be no cheap victories or losses next year. As a matter of fact, based on the fact that we play a AFC division #1 schedule, and also play the NFC East, which had three playoff teams, we almost certainly will enter the year with the toughest schedule in the NFL. We will know how good we are, or aren't, by the end of the regular season.

God, I can't wait until next season.

paw-n-maul-u
01-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Last year you could have used that arguement to say

KC, Jets, NO, Bears, Eagles would be tough teams,but they fell apart. I expect several of this years teams to fall apart also

Dude, no way.

KC, Jets played a joke schedule the year before.

Your gonna take the eagles w/ McNabb coming back from a shredded knee?

and the bears went as Thomas jones did. N.O. i'll give you, but even they almost made a playoff push after all the injuries they had.

Unless injuries cripples some of those teams. Our schedule will be tremendously hard. I would put 10 bucks on it being the hardest in the league. No doubt.

paw-n-maul-u
01-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Not to mention, the ravens and bengals CANNNNT be as anemic as they were last year, Esp. the Bengals w/ Carson Palmer. (I think the absence of C. Henry had a lot to do w/ that, coupled w/ Rudi Johnson being hurt the whole year)

The Duke
01-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Not to mention, the ravens and bengals CANNNNT be as anemic as they were last year, Esp. the Bengals w/ Carson Palmer. (I think the absence of C. Henry had a lot to do w/ that, coupled w/ Rudi Johnson being hurt the whole year)

never underestimate the bengals sucking :flap:

but you're right, they'll come back to their usual 8-8 spot

Galax Steeler
01-22-2008, 04:47 AM
Last year you could have used that arguement to say

KC, Jets, NO, Bears, Eagles would be tough teams,but they fell apart. I expect several of this years teams to fall apart also

agreed players come and go so team that are good this year may not be as good next year alot of players will be gone to free agency.

Elvis
01-22-2008, 07:36 AM
As a longtime Steelers fan, if we were to play next seasons schedule with this years team... we wouldnt finish with more than probably 6 or 7 games against that schedule. The Steelers must improve in most all positions or next year will be a long year. Of course I look forward to seeing Holmes healthy all year and as our no.1 receiver. I think that it is time for Hines to give way and let the man be the man. He has had his years of fame and now he needs to play the role player. But to do this the Steelers must find a good no.2 guy to take his place. Hines would be a great slot reciever as our possession receiver. IMO

lilyoder6
01-22-2008, 09:50 AM
i would let holmes still be number 2 and let him go against and a number 2 cb... but oh well.. we need to find a solid #3 wr or unless ced, nate, reid can inprove alot this offseason, and i beleive that next season evry team that we are going to play was 500 or better except for the ravens and bengals..... the easy 2 wins against the browns aren't guareented anymore.... it's going to be fun...

SteelersJW
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
You know, we really didn't have too tough of a season this year. Next year we'll be able to see how good of a team we actually are. The '08 season will be a real test.

The Duke
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
i would let holmes still be number 2 and let him go against and a number 2 cb...

doesn't matter, teams are putting their # 1 CB on Holmes already, like Mathis in both JAX games

I think hines will continue to be # 1 cause he gets more passes throw his way and is so clutch on 3rd down

Dino 6 Rings
01-22-2008, 12:46 PM
We need a solid #3 especially if we are going to pass more often and become a 50-50 rush to pass team instead of 60-40 run to pass.

And a Tackle, and a Center, and a Guard, and a Full back or at least a solid blocking back that can pick up the blitz but also go out into the flat and be the check down guy on 3rd and long.

Dino 6 Rings
01-22-2008, 12:47 PM
As for toughness of the 08-09 season. Bring it on. I'd rather have zero teams on their with losing records, this way we can't have a let down game. Give me the best of the best so we are primed for the Playoff run.

TackleMeBen
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
its going to be a very tough schedule if we dont get the Oline fixed and ST... those two killed us last year. if the oline cant protect then we wont be able to make the playoffs b/c our qb will probably on the sidelines on crutches or something.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, those that worry about losing a home game to "jolly old England," can relax for at least one more year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/american_football/7194603.stm He also revealed the "home" team would be chosen from Tampa Bay, Seattle, Kansas City and New Orleans

SteelCityMan786
01-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Looking at the schedule right now I have to say the most intriguing match ups are going to be the Patriots, Colts, Jags, and Cowboys. Right now the schedule in my opinion leads us to a 12-4 season. Which an earlier poster mentioned this may not allow them to have a chance to play down to anyone.

lilyoder6
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
we are going to find a number 3 wr or nate, ced needs to step up big thisoffseason.. also our def justs needs to get back into form..

d2609j
01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
The one nice thing about next year is that besides the two placement games played from the AFC, the AFC north still plays the same opponents. The Ravens, Bengals, and Browns all play the NFC East and AFC south like us. If we run the table in our division (which really could be done), We could end up 4-6 with the remaining schedule and still win our division with a 10-6 record. I have a difficult time seeing The AFC north champ next year having better than a 10-6 record. 11-5 would be a nice season.

SteelCityMan786
01-23-2008, 11:20 PM
we are going to find a number 3 wr or nate, ced needs to step up big thisoffseason.. also our def justs needs to get back into form..

We should be able to find some nice prospects in the draft. Other wise we're going to have to look for a good battle from Nate and Ced.

lilyoder6
01-23-2008, 11:20 PM
that is true... the other teams will have trouble as well.. but some of there placement games are easy..

Rhee Rhee
01-24-2008, 03:53 AM

our defense was playing solid until about week 9 or 10... then the run D started falling apart and when that happend the opposing team's passing game opened up and they just lit us up...

Steeldude
01-24-2008, 10:16 AM
with the way the NFL has been over the years i wouldn't say the benglas will suck next year.

Edman
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah and a majority of them, are teams I hate. It's going to be fun.

Not going to argue with that.

The AFC North...I think we all know the story here.
The Pats...we all know the story here too.
I hate the Chargers.
I hate the Jaguars.
I hate the Cowboys.
I hate the Clots.
I hate "the other pro football team from PA".

stlrtruck
01-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Personally I look forward to having a tougher schedule. That way when we roll shot gun over our opponents no one can say we had an easy schedule to pave the way to the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Then we can once again look directly into the eyes of the enemy and say, "Look, no cheating!"