PDA

View Full Version : Remember David Woodley

OneForTheToe
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
What a sad story and a waste of a career.

Suzonne[ex-wife] says she wasn't invited to the funeral. Most of his teammates didn't even know where it was held.

Twenty years after he was the youngest quarterback to ever start in a Super Bowl, Woodley became the youngest Super Bowl quarterback to die.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3209245

Definately not one of our best aquisitions.

fansince'76
01-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Man, what a sad article. Despite his problems with the booze, I somewhat admire Woodley for not trying to cash in on his NFL playing career, particularly when he was given opportunities to do so.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
He was one of those players that might have excelled at his sport had it not been for his complete inability to handle the social pressure associated with the game. Naturally, the heavy drinking (which was almost certainly exasperated by his social shortcomings) also hastened the end of his career, and life.

Preacher
01-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Very sad how a man can be so lonely at the end of his life.

When I say that this is just a game, and there is so much more to life thereafter, this is the exact kind of thing I mean.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
When I say that this is just a game, and there is so much more to life thereafter, this is the exact kind of thing I mean.

That's the reason why I have no problem when a guy retires when he still has tread on the tires.

I was saddened by the Bus retiring. However, I had no problem with it because 10 years from now, he will be walking. He will be able to walk onto the stage and stand there as he makes his Hall of Fame acceptance speech. He won't be in a wheelchair and barley able to put a sentance together.

Steeler in Carolina
01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow.

HometownGal
01-23-2008, 06:27 PM
What a sad and very tragic ending to a young life that once seemed so promising.

Rhee Rhee
01-24-2008, 04:47 AM
What a sad and very tragic ending to a young life that once seemed so promising.

he definitely had a future ahead of him... very sad... truly very sad... i think if he kicked the drinking he could've had a very interesting NFL career to say the least..

vasteeler
01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
wow he died in 2003? i had no idea
RIP#16

Godfather
01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
His problems with booze went back at least to college. John Ed Bradley was his teammate at LSU and mentioned Woodley in "It Never Rains In Tiger Stadium".

When that Super Bowl happened Bradley was a writer for the Washington Post and related an anecdote about sneaking out with Bradley and Charles McDuff after bed check one night to drink beer on the Mississippi River levee. Woodley flew off the handle and vehemently denied the story.

Elvis
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
This was a very sad story indeed. I really didnt know that he had passed away either.I just hope and pray that he was able to make his life right with the Lord. God Bless the young lady that was married to him and I hope that she doesnt have too much heartbreak left for this man.