PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Sticks By Assistants

HometownGal
01-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Though I was big on Tomlin tossing Ligashesky when the season ended, I have to trust that Tomlin knows better than I what his assistant coaches are made of.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_548970.html

Steelers' Tomlin reiterates position on assistants
By John Harris

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 24, 2008

MOBILE, Ala. - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin defended his decision to retain all of his assistants and predicted that familiarity will create a better staff in 2008.
Amid media and fan criticism of poor special teams play and worrisome pass protection, Tomlin talked up his coaches during a Wednesday afternoon practice at the Senior Bowl.

"Continuity. Continuity is what makes it go in this league," Tomlin said when asked about his assistants.

Tomlin believes in the seven assistants who were holdovers from former coach Bill Cowher's staff, along with the seven assistants he hired.

Tomlin said it doesn't matter what critics say about the need to hire new assistants because the coaches who are in place have proven to him they can do the job they were hired to perform.
So, stop asking, Tomlin said, because what you see is what you're going to get.

"A lot of people don't want to hear that. A lot of people like to finger-point," Tomlin said. "A lot of people want change for the sake of change."

Tomlin said at his final news conference of the season that he wasn't planning on making any coaching changes. He repeated that yesterday, this time a little louder, that he wants to keep his staff intact.

One of the things Tomlin discovered in his first season as an NFL head coach was that change can be overrated.

He believes in the foundation that was built last season and doesn't want to alter the coaching and learning curve that he expects to continue in his second season.

"We're fortunate enough at this point that we look like we're going to have our staff intact," Tomlin said. "We're going to go ahead and do it again and do it better."

The Senior Bowl is the place to be this week for NFL coaches, some who would be willing to join a new team if presented with the right offer.

Tomlin said the Steelers are off-limits.

"We've got our staff," he said.

A number of Steelers scouts and assistants, including special teams coach Bob Ligashesky, sat as a group yesterday in the stands at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, surrounding Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

If nothing else, they presented a unified front to the rest of the league.

fansince'76
01-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Tomlin said it doesn't matter what critics say about the need to hire new assistants because the coaches who are in place have proven to him they can do the job they were hired to perform.
So, stop asking, Tomlin said, because what you see is what you're going to get.

"A lot of people don't want to hear that. A lot of people like to finger-point," Tomlin said. "A lot of people want change for the sake of change."

Wow, I didn't realize a busy guy like Tomlin had time to read this board. :rolleyes:

Buzz05
01-24-2008, 07:25 AM
It could be worse...Tomlin could be the guy who fires everyone at the slightest whim just for not doing what he wants...I like the continuity. Im not a big fan of change...shocker there...Im a Steelers fan

Counselor
01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Wow, I didn't realize a busy guy like Tomlin had time to read this board. :rolleyes:

:sofunny:Sure seems like he did!:sofunny:

Jeremy
01-24-2008, 08:27 AM
The Patriots don't seem bothered by lack of continuity.

fansince'76
01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
The Patriots don't seem bothered by lack of continuity.

Yeah, but they compensated by stealing other teams' defensive signals illegally.

Jeremy
01-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, but they compensated by stealing other teams' defensive signals illegally.

I know you're not naive enough to believe they're the only ones doing that 76. They just got caught.

fansince'76
01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I know you're not naive enough to believe they're the only ones doing that 76. They just got caught.

I would expect the "everybody does it" defense from a Pats fan, but I'm kinda surprised to see it coming from one of our own(?) Of course, you did threaten to start following another team earlier this season....:scratchchin:

tony hipchest
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
The Patriots don't seem bothered by lack of continuity.when they have the most continuity of any team in the league since 2000 why the hell would they be bothered???

youre not talkin about the 3 assistants they lost in 8 years and the qb coach who died, as being a major disruptive force are you?

losing "studs" such as patten, givens, branch, and banta cain would bring most teams to their knees?

stillers4me
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Wow.......you mean the Bengals are cheating and they're still that bad???????

Jeremy
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Wow.......you mean the Bengals are cheating and they're still that bad???????

Every team in the NFL cheats in one way or another. The Colts pump music in to the RCA Dome, the Steelers allow their field to become a dirt field late in the season, etc.

Some forms of cheating are more egregious than others.

stillers4me
01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Every team in the NFL cheats in one way or another. The Colts pump music in to the RCA Dome, the Steelers allow their field to become a dirt field late in the season, etc.

Some forms of cheating are more egregious than others.

soooooooo........you're saying that stealing other teams signals and giving them to your players on the field, but the other team isn't doing the same thing so both have the same advantage is comparable to both teams playing up the their ears in muck on the same field.

I get it..........not. :yawn:

Jeremy
01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
soooooooo........you're saying that stealing other teams signals and giving them to your players on the field, but the other team isn't doing the same thing so both have the same advantage is comparable to both teams playing up the their ears in muck on the same field.

I get it..........not. :yawn:

I wouldn't expect you to.

SteelerTim
01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I guess living in the DC area has made me an untrusting soul but I find it hard to believe that the Patriots are the only team in the league who break the rules. :dang:

Rhee Rhee
01-25-2008, 12:40 AM
im iffy on the whole ligaeshky situation... but w/e i mean how many decent S/T coaches are there that are unemployed?

The Duke
01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
im iffy on the whole ligaeshky situation... but w/e i mean how many decent S/T coaches are there that are unemployed?

one less without the ravens new head coach :toofunny:

Galax Steeler
01-25-2008, 03:43 AM
we just have to trust tomlin in his choice to keep his staff together we will see in a few months whether it was a good choice or not.

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 08:22 AM
he is right tho about keeping them together.. evry coach has a plan, and if u bring in new coaches evry yr or w/e then the bond between the coaches will never come true and then they wouldn't really have the trust they do will the others..

memphissteelergirl
01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
As this was MT's first season with this staff, I guess he wants them to take the off-season and re-assess their areas and work on improvements. I am willing to see how it works out.

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I like Tomlin but he better watch what he says to the press. If this "game altering" play continues (referring to OL and ST breakdowns), this city will eat him alive. He better bring in an infusion of talent in 08' (i.e., ST, OL, DL, etc.) or we'll continue to question his decisions to retain the coaching staff. As far as I'm concerned, these coaches have not shown us a great deal. A great coach will often inspire a young man to perform above the level that he is intended. Meaning, this team lacks the desire or even passion to be a complete team Next year, we need to bring in some hungry ball players + the coaching staff needs to teach and inspire to raise the level of play.

r1stillerman
01-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah maybe change is not good after all the Steelers hired Tomlin didn't they?