PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Set to Lose 3 OL in Free Agency

MeanKevinGreene
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I found this article today on thefootballexpert.com. We would have to get some OL in the Draft if this happens. Losing those three in addition to Faneca!??:

UFA: A Player who has at least four years experience at the expiration of a contract can sign with any team with no compensation to his former club.

RFA: Restricted free agents have three years of experience at the end of their contracts and must be tendered an offer sheet before April 15. The player's current club has seven days to match the offer, or the player's rights revert to the team that tendered the sheet. Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks based on the quantity and quality of restricted free agents it loses to other squads in the previous year's free-agent period.

QB / RB / WR / TE / OT / OG / C

Top NFL Free Agents
by Paul Eide
Senior Writer
1/24/08
Top Five Free Agent Offensive Tackles

1. Flozell Adams - UFA- Though it seems like he has been around forever, Adams is still just 31 years old. A Pro Bowler in four of the last five years, Adams should be a lock to get the kind of money Cowboys’
teammate Leonard Davis got in last year’s free agent market.

2. Jordan Gross- UFA- The #8 overall selection in the 2003 NFL Draft. He started every game for the Panthers that season at right tackle, and did not miss a single offensive play. He allowed only three sacks all season, and was an anchor on the offensive line that sent the Panthers to Super Bowl XXXVIII. Ha started all 16 games in each of the last five seasons.

3. Travelle Wharton - UFA- A versatile performer who can play either tackle or guard, Wharton recovered from tearing his ACL and MCL in the first game of the 2006 season to start all 16 games at left tackle in 2007.

4. Jason Fabini- UFA- Fabini was drafted by Bill Parcells when he was with the Jets in 1998 and followed him to Dallas for the 2006 season which has some people guessing his next stop may be Miami. Has played all16 games in seven of ten seasons.

5. Sean Locklear- UFA- Though Locklear played 16 games at right tackle in 2007, he broke into the league as a guard out of NC State in 2004. With the Seattle line not getting any younger around Locklear, look for Seattle to make a big push to retain his services.

Best of the Rest:
6. Max Starks- UFA
7. Todd Steussie- UFA
8. Trai Essex- RFA
9. Stacy Andrews- UFA
10. Chris Kemoeatu- UFA

What do you guys think? Do we re-sign Starks??

slippy
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
jeez, i'm worried if we'll even have 5 O-linemen on our roster by september, much less good ones.

scary post, meanKG!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 06:55 PM
We're going to have to resign starks now. Not only that, draft a Guard and Tackle in the draft. Possibly a Center to.

MACH1
01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Looks like another year of Ben running for his life out there.

lilyoder6
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
we def need to re-sign starks.. and possibly essex and Kemoeatu could re-sign for low amount of money

MasterOfPuppets
01-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Looks like another year of Ben running for his life out there.
ehhh....no worries...i'm sure timmons, spaeth and sepulvada, can also play oline positions...:popcorn:

19ward86
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
THIS IS HOW I SEE IT...

LT-Willie Colon
LG-Max Starks
C-Kendal Simmons
RG-first round pick, when we have great guards we can power run with anyone.
RT-either Marvel Smith or trade him to draft the RT from UTEP, he is a senior who we could get in the late rounds that could possibly pay off greatly, only problem is the possibly part.

I say we load up our left side with big strong guys to run with(except for colon which he is more of the finess pass blocking type), then on the right side we have a couple of rooks or 1 rook and Smith. Smith has been disappointing over the last few years so im looking for him to be traded for a 2nd-3rd round pick.

jjpro11
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
THIS IS HOW I SEE IT...

LT-Willie Colon
LG-Max Starks
C-Kendal Simmons
RT-either Marvel Smith or trade him to draft the RT from UTEP, he is a senior who we could get in the late rounds that could possibly pay off greatly, only problem is the possibly part.

I say we load up our left side with big strong guys to run with(except for colon which he is more of the finess pass blocking type), then on the right side we have a couple of rooks or 1 rook and Smith. Smith has been disappointing over the last few years so im looking for him to be traded for a 2nd-3rd round pick.

you mixed up colon and starks.. and i dont trust simmons at center.. but he may be better than mahan and mahan may be a better guard than simmons. so who knows.

PalmerSteel
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
i sure hope it works itself out. its almost like clockwork. the teams with the worst records almost always have terrible o-line play.

lilyoder6
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah i think u did mix them up.. at 6'7'' that would be frieghtning to see him pulling

Rhee Rhee
01-25-2008, 12:36 AM
I found this article today on thefootballexpert.com. We would have to get some OL in the Draft if this happens. Losing those three in addition to Faneca!??:
What do you guys think? Do we re-sign Starks??

we better be getting tackles AND guards... maybe even a center...

i say we resign essex who did pretty well against jax... plus essex will come at a MUCH cheaper price..

Galax Steeler
01-25-2008, 03:47 AM
I agree we need to resign essex he did play well in the playoff game.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-25-2008, 06:28 AM
THIS IS HOW I SEE IT...

LT-Willie Colon
LG-Max Starks
C-Kendal Simmons

I'd rather see Colon at the right guard and LT being our first round draft pick.

Lord Stiller
01-25-2008, 08:03 AM
10. Chris Kemoeatu- UFA

I'm pretty sure Kemoeatu is a Restricted Free Agent which means he isnt going anywhere

Lord Stiller
01-25-2008, 08:05 AM
THIS IS HOW I SEE IT...

LT-Willie Colon
LG-Max Starks
C-Kendal Simmons

LOL. Thats the worst prediction I've seen thus far

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 08:19 AM
like i am saying.. starks coming on a pull in a counter or w/e him being 6'7'' would be crazy..

i would have to go with the current players
LT: starks
LG: mahan (drafted player)
C: simmons (Drafted player/ FA)
RG: colon
RT: essex (drafted player)

as if we didn't draft any lineman

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
You need one of two things to have a good offensive line in the NFL.

One is superior talent and the other is superior scheme. The Patriots have superior talent and the Broncos have a superior scheme.

The Steelers have neither.

DACEB
01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm worried about the O-line just like everyone else, BUT I'm not willing to piss away this draft (which is not loaded with quality O-linemen) to restock our line with potential prospects!!

The team has other needs, not just O-line. We need to start bringing in some youth on the D-line as well. We need help in the secondary, we lost three games this season because of our back-up safeties.

It just is'nt good practice to reach for players because of need. IMO we need to draft two O-linemen, two D-linemen and a defensive back. The other two picks can be used to on BPA or to make moves on draft day.

I actually think we will have a very similar line next season, with some players changing position.

LT M. Smith
LG S. Mahan
C K. Simmons
RG W. Colon
RT T. Essex (could re-sign Starks or draft pick)

I think the wildcards are Starks and Kemo. Will the FO really make a push for Starks?? Has the coaching staff finally made a decision on Kemo??

Lord Stiller
01-25-2008, 09:09 AM
like i am saying.. starks coming on a pull in a counter or w/e him being 6'7'' would be crazy..

i would have to go with the current players
LT: starks
LG: mahan (drafted player)
C: simmons (Drafted player/ FA)
RG: colon
RT: essex (drafted player)

as if we didn't draft any lineman

What about Marvell Smith? and will people quit putting Simmons at center! Steelers already said he will not be moved to center. Simmons got the big money and is pretty mobile which means he will likey play Left Guard

Here is a likely scenario for next season with the Center position being somewhat of a mystery

LT: Smith
LG: Simmons
C: ??? Stapleton/FA/drafted rookie
RG: Colon or Kemo
RT: 1st round pick

Mahan will hopefully never see the field again

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Does anyone really think that with our sack numbers any team is drooling over a Steelers Lineman.after what the cowboys did with the cardinals leonard davis, anything is possible.

im willing to bet a team like seattle could easilly look at 1 or 2 of our linemen (particularly faneca).

DACEB
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
will people quit putting Simmons at center! Steelers already said he will not be moved to center. Simmons got the big money and is pretty mobile which means he will likey play Left Guard

When did the Steelers say that Simmons would in no way be moved to center?

Pretty mobile? Problem is that when he gets to where he's going he does'nt block anyone, that's been the knock on him for awhile.

They just payed Mahan also, so he'll get every oppurtunity at guard you can bet on that.

Elvis
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree we need to resign essex he did play well in the playoff game.
Yeah, and I think that we need to consider very heavily signing Max Starks back as well.

Lord Stiller
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM
When did the Steelers say that Simmons would in no way be moved to center?

it was stated in the post gazette around the end of the season

Pretty mobile? Problem is that when he gets to where he's going he does'nt block anyone, that's been the knock on him for awhile.

They just payed Mahan also, so he'll get every oppurtunity at guard you can bet on that.

They payed Simmons a lot more than Mahan. And for as bad as Simmons has played, Mahan was way worse. And dont give me the crap that he will be better at guard, he sucks.

LVSteelersfan
01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
It takes awhile for rookies on the O-line to get it down. So the draft is not the answer if the Steelers want to actually win next year. The schedule is going to be brutal. If the line is not sorted out quickly, the Steelers may not be a .500 team next year. Maybe we can get away with one rookie on the right side of the line, but that is about it. And anyone who thinks FA is the answer is DREAMING. Look what it did for us last year. (Mahan) The Steelers FO just doesn't think FA is the way to go. RFAs on the team are certain to look elsewhere because the Steelers probably won't match the contracts they are offered. Do we get draft picks for the next year if that happens? We just have to wait and see how it all plays out. Signing Ben is the most important piece of the puzzle.

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
i would agree that sea will take a look at faneca... they are still mourning the loss of hutchison and they need someone to fill in that gap he played at...

DACEB
01-25-2008, 04:01 PM
it was stated in the post gazette around the end of the season.

LS, I'm pretty sure that article (or chat w/ EB) stated that Simmons was always an option. IMO, Simmons is stronger to take on the big guys at NT and would probably do better in close quarters than out in space.

They payed Simmons a lot more than Mahan. And for as bad as Simmons has played, Mahan was way worse. And dont give me the crap that he will be better at guard, he sucks.

LMAO, I can't defend him at this point, your right. All I can say is he will get his chance in camp, probably alot longer of a look than any of us care for even if he struggles.

I just hope the oppurtunities are open to all the guys, because for whatever reason Chucky was kinda handed the short end of the stick in camp this year. So I hope your right, in that if he is going to perform as he did this year, that he does'nt see the field.

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
i think he should get better with his 2nd yr with the team and is aquited with the off.. if he doesn't show improvement bench him or cut or trade

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-25-2008, 06:05 PM
i think he should get better with his 2nd yr with the team and is aquited with the off.. if he doesn't show improvement bench him or cut or trade

The thing is Mahan is getting paid way too much money to be sitting on the bench as a backup.

Lord Stiller
01-26-2008, 01:28 PM
The thing is Mahan is getting paid way too much money to be sitting on the bench as a backup.

You would rather him be on the field and risk the life of Big Ben?

As a member of the offensive line on the Buccaneers, he was almost singlehandedly responsible for the effective end of Chris Simms' career, when he literally almost died in a 2006 regular season loss to the Carolina Panthers.

wikipedia sums it up best:

In his first year as a Steeler, blocking for Ben Roethlisberger, he has been credited for helping the star QB reach the Pro Bowl. What is not known to the masses is that he is solely responsible for ending Chris Simms' career due to his poor blocking. At any time during the 2007 season, Mahan could be found being pushed around and slogged to the ground by opposing defensive linemen. Despite him being a first-year center, he consistently underperformed to Coach Mike Tomlin's expectations. The Steelers will look for a new starting center either in free agency or the 2008 NFL Draft.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I seriously question anyone's football knowledge who thinks Mahan should be starting.

DACEB
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I found this article by Wexell, it's dated 1/10 but some might find it interesting.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_010000553.html

Here is a portion on the O-line;

Offensive line: The weakest unit on the team remains in a state of flux. The front office met with the key coaches this week and was told that Max Starks is still not considered one of the two best tackles on the team, that the staff prefers Willie Colon at right tackle.

Marvel Smith is expected back and healthy at left tackle, so that leaves Starks out of the picture since he expressed an interest to return to Pittsburgh but only as a starter. Dan Rooney is still mulling it over, but a source close to him reiterated the stance that the team is going to “make a run” at potential free agents Starks and Alan Faneca.

There’s been no talk about the center position, only that Faneca has the mental acuity to finish his career at the position. Also, in-game No. 2 center Kendall Simmons is not under consideration to make that position switch.

Very interesting, Faneca at center?!

The Duke
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I found this article by Wexell, it's dated 1/10 but some might find it interesting.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_010000553.html

Here is a portion on the O-line;

Offensive line: The weakest unit on the team remains in a state of flux. The front office met with the key coaches this week and was told that Max Starks is still not considered one of the two best tackles on the team, that the staff prefers Willie Colon at right tackle.

Marvel Smith is expected back and healthy at left tackle, so that leaves Starks out of the picture since he expressed an interest to return to Pittsburgh but only as a starter. Dan Rooney is still mulling it over, but a source close to him reiterated the stance that the team is going to ?make a run? at potential free agents Starks and Alan Faneca.

There?s been no talk about the center position, only that Faneca has the mental acuity to finish his career at the position. Also, in-game No. 2 center Kendall Simmons is not under consideration to make that position switch.

Very interesting, Faneca at center?!

well, that changes a lot

Simmons will not be center apparently so we'll just have to hope he doesn't get manhandled this season at guard cause he already has a big contract

the staff likes colon at right tackle??? I wonder what they're seeing that we aren't

starks seems unable to take the job from smith so starks is probably gone?

where does that leave mahan? and faneca?

offseason's gonna be long.........

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
You would rather him be on the field and risk the life of Big Ben?

No. I'm saying he is getting paid way to much money for his non-starter cababilities.

BlastFurnace
01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
No. I'm saying he is getting paid way to much money for his non-starter cababilities.

Then he should be cut. Take the cap hit and live with it. There is no way that Okobi would have been any worse than Mahan. I have a hard time believing that Stapleton or Phillip would have been any worse either.

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
i think they shoudl resign starks and put him at rt and put colon at guard.. and poss if u could re-sign faneca put him at c and draft a lineman... or try mahan at guard

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
i think they shoudl resign starks and put him at rt and put colon at guard.. and poss if u could re-sign faneca put him at c and draft a lineman... or try mahan at guard

If Faneca would get resigned you have to keep him at guard. He is one of the best pulling guards in the league and the center position would just restrict him. Maybe Simmons at center if we have no other opptions. I mean we have been hearing that he has been getting time in at center the last couple of training camps.

tony hipchest
01-28-2008, 06:27 PM
maybe starks can play center.
:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
if and thats a HUGE if, faneca were somehow resigned, and moved to center....wouldn't that make him a VERY expensive center ??? todays guards command a much higher salarys than centers.

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
yeah i know he is one of the best guards in the game.. but if we draft o-lineman like we should and some how we do re-sign faneca and don't get a center.. i would rather of the rookie playing g and faneca playing center if mahan isn't cut out for it..

Lord Stiller
01-29-2008, 07:22 AM
well, that changes a lot

Simmons will not be center apparently so we'll just have to hope he doesn't get manhandled this season at guard cause he already has a big contract

the staff likes colon at right tackle??? I wonder what they're seeing that we aren't

starks seems unable to take the job from smith so starks is probably gone?

where does that leave mahan? and faneca?

offseason's gonna be long.........

Thanks for posting that article from 1/10 Duke. People in this thread kept putting Simmons at Center like it was a done deal

LambertIsGod58
01-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Maybe Ben should be asking for an O-line? Oh that's right, a tall receiver will offset being on his back 3x a game.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Losing those three in addition to Faneca!??:

ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should cut them from the books faster than Countrywide can cut Las Vegas housing from their books.

Good riddens Max.