PDA

View Full Version : Ward Mad?

Pages : 1 [2]

LambertIsGod58
01-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I love him, but sometimes I think Hines is a girl in a man's body. I mean come on... the crying, the pouting in his hold out, now this... There was no personal attack against him. All QBs want a tall receiver.

You must be more of a Philly fan than you are of the Steelers..."Girl in a man's body"? Are you serious? The most physical WR in the game....the best blocking WR in the game....All you Ben homers keep singing his song. Sooner or later you'll come to see that Ben is not the "be all, end all" of this franchise.

LambertIsGod58
01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
BTW...someone else mad a good point in that thread. Maybe Ben should ask for a better O-line or take a pay cut to resign Faneca so he doesn't end up on his back 3x a game. I'd like to know what Ben has done since he's been here to deserve a "pass" on everything? Having the worst QB rating for a SB winning QB? Obviously doesn't take much for some fans......

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
:dang:

bouchette must be smiling right now

Ed admitted as much in yesterday's "Com-Plax-ity" article:

Roethlisberger's public plea for the Steelers to acquire a tall receiver elicited a predictable response from Ward -- who wasn't pleased.

Sounds to me like Ed (the author of both articles, it bears mentioning) is saying that he knew exactly how Hines would respond when asked about Ben's comments. He therefore shwredly manipulated Hines to get the (predictable) responses that would make for a more interesting story.

This kind of thing is done all the time, but what irks me the most is that he's creating needless friction between two teammates that could very well spill over into next season. With all the other off-season issues facing the Steelers, do we really needs Hines and Ben on the outs over NOTHING?

I rest my case.

tony hipchest
01-28-2008, 10:12 AM
This kind of thing is done all the time, but what irks me the most is that he's creating needless friction between two teammates that could very well spill over into next season.

I rest my case.its very likely that ward will be asked to restructure or take a significant paycut this off season. he can refuse and go the exact same route as faneca or porter. i could see ward refusing, getting cut (or traded) and then going to replace stallworth in the patriots offense for about 4-5 mil/ year.

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
i think ed just wanted he article posted evry where u look.. just trying to be a well known author... :lol:

stlrtruck
01-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Ben talks about being a team player and wanting this and wanting that but LIG58 is right - is he willing to take a paycut in order to secure his vertical stature vs. the horizontal one that became custom in almost every game.

fansince'76
01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
BTW...someone else mad a good point in that thread. Maybe Ben should ask for a better O-line or take a pay cut to resign Faneca so he doesn't end up on his back 3x a game. I'd like to know what Ben has done since he's been here to deserve a "pass" on everything? Having the worst QB rating for a SB winning QB? Obviously doesn't take much for some fans......

After watching this team's close misses year after year after year with scrubs like O'Donnell and Stewart behind center, you're right, it really doesn't take much. Yes, he has the worst rating for a SB-winning QB, but at least he didn't throw that SB away singlehandedly. And if he's going to take a pay cut to sign OL, I'd prefer it's not someone who has obviously started to slip due to age like Faneca has.

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I see the news has made Yahoo's front page now. No, this hasn't been blown out of proportion by the media, not at all. :coffee:]

If I had thought Ben was out of line with his comments, I would have been one of the first to say so.

I'm at least glad to see that any of the media who are getting their hands on this story are basically agreeing that Ben's comments were not disparaging in any way of any of his teammates, in fact they were full of praise. If Hines's comments are accurate and were reported in their actual context as opposed to cherry-picked for juiciness content, then I still maintain Hines is overreacting.

Thankfully, so far at least, the national media is NOT overreacting. Thank heavens for the timing of Tom Brady's ankle!

Counselor
01-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Ben talks about being a team player and wanting this and wanting that but LIG58 is right - is he willing to take a paycut in order to secure his vertical stature vs. the horizontal one that became custom in almost every game.

Why should he be willing to do that? Don't forget Hines held out----did he take a pay cut so we could keep our quarterback that could get him the ball---or to keep Randle El who he lobbied for? Faneca is not willing to take a "hometown" discount either. Did Troy take a discount?

I'm sorry but Ben is not responsible for creating-signing his own o-line.

As far as "whether" he is willing---who knows, lets let the contract talks playout before we criticize him for nothing.

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Why should he be willing to do that? Don't forget Hines held out----did he take a pay cut so we could keep our quarterback that could get him the ball---or to keep Randle El who he lobbied for? Faneca is not willing to take a "hometown" discount either. Did Troy take a discount?

As far as "whether" he is willing---who knows, lets let the contract talks playout before we criticize him for nothing.

Excellent post - I agree completely.

zulater
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Ron Cook has a good column in today's PPG dealing with this subject matter, I'd link it but I'm not allowed yet. :dang: Anyway the basic premise is that Hines seems to like to feel as if he's been slighted whether it's true or not. His perception of being "dissed" in essense is what drives his game to a higher level. :sofunny:

Bottom line is once the pads are strapped on this will be meaningless. Ben and Ward both know they need each other, and I honestly believe they actually like each other, this from personal observations, limited as it may be. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
I still want a Strong # 3 Receiver...cause Wilson hasn't shown me anything since the 05 season and Washington still drops big time passes.

SO, Hines is sticking up for his boys on the receiving corp, and Ben wants another valid target to throw too.

Seems like the issue is, Hines, Holmes and a new #3. That's it.

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Here's the Ron Cook column, and can I get a big "Hallelujah" for Cook, of all people, being the clear-headed voice of reason!
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08028/852752-87.stm#

Ward, Big Ben rift absurd
Monday, January 28, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward's silly overreaction to innocuous comments by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger last week made the national news. More than one famous talking head wondered if there is a rift in the Steelers' locker room. "Are Hines and Big Ben going to be able to co-exist?" they asked, breathlessly.

What nonsense.

Anybody who knows Ward and Roethlisberger knows that's absolute nonsense.

To start, Roethlisberger wasn't dissing Ward and the Steelers' other wide receivers when he told the Post-Gazette that he would love to have a tall guy to throw to when he's under pressure or in the red zone. What quarterback doesn't want a Plaxico Burress-type if he can get him? But Roethlisberger also made it a point to call his current receivers "unbelievable," as in unbelievably good. He has an especially high regard for Ward, an ultimate all-out, all-the-time player. There's probably not a teammate he respects more.

Roethlisberger never knocks "his guys," as he likes to call his teammates. This is a man who goes out of his way to praise his offensive linemen even on days when they allow seven or eight sacks. Big Ben gets it. He knows it's the well-compensated quarterback's job to deflect credit after every win and accept blame after every defeat. That's why he said after the playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, "I'm ashamed of the way I played," even after his fabulous performance in the second half brought the Steelers back from an 18-point deficit and would have won the game if the defense had been able to make a stop on fourth-and-2.

No, the perception of this phony baloney rift is all on Ward, the result of something from the deepest, darkest recesses of his overzealous imagination.

It's as if Ward needs a perceived slight -- real or otherwise -- for his motivation. No one is suggesting that hasn't been terrific for him and the Steelers. It's just that it occasionally makes him look foolish.

This is one of those times.

It's like when the Steelers drafted Ward in the third round in 1998. He convinced himself that no one gave him a chance to make the team even though the Steelers don't just throw away third-round picks.

Later, it was that he couldn't become a starter.

After that, it was that the team didn't think he was a No. 1 receiver because it used first-round picks on wide receivers Troy Edwards and Burress in consecutive drafts.

Then, it was that he couldn't flourish without Burress, that he wasn't worthy of a big-money contract and that he couldn't take the team to a Super Bowl.

Now, it's the "tall receiver" insult from Roethlisberger.

Hey, whatever works for a player.

This clearly has worked for Ward. It has made him one of the great players in franchise history. It has made him a Super Bowl champion and Super Bowl MVP. One day, it will make him a Hall of Fame player.

But a rift with Roethlisberger?

That's beyond ridiculous.

Certainly, Roethlisberger won't hold a grudge. One of his strengths is the ability to let most things roll off his back. Early in his career, it was a comment from guard Alan Faneca, who said he wasn't especially looking forward to playing with an inexperienced rookie quarterback. Roethlisberger said at the time that he agreed with Big Red and the two became such good friends that, after the Jacksonville game, Roethlisberger said, "If this was my last game with Alan Faneca [who is an unrestricted free agent], it was an honor and a privilege to be his quarterback and I love him to death." This season, it was voting by his teammates for their MVP award, which went to linebacker James Harrison even though Roethlisberger should have been the winner. If it hurt Big Ben, he never let on. He never said a word about it.

By minicamp, Ward also will be beyond this insult and have moved on to the next one. He'll have convinced himself that people think he's washed up because he'll be 32 next season and coming off knee surgery. Just once, wouldn't it be nice if he identified those people? No one who saw him leave everything on the field against the Jaguars with 10 catches for 135 yards is suggesting he's losing anything from his game.

So forget about that rift in the Steelers' locker room.

The only rift involving Ward is the one he has with the personal demons that he's convinced are out to get him.

Roethlisberger, surely, is not among those.

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Another country heard from - Mark Madden weighs in (oops, pardon the pun) on the Hines/Ben contretemps. I don't like the Hall of Fame junk at the end and the totally needless Korean-American bald guys reference (that's the Madden we know and hate), but dang - this guy has written like two good columns in a row; what's the world coming to?
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/01/27/sports/steelers/doc479d66c2d6b3c965453310.txt

Monday Madden: Ben was right, Steelers could use tall WR
By Mark Madden, Special to The Times

Ex-Steeler Plaxico Burress has not only come into his own with the New York Giants, but is the main reason they’re in the Super Bowl. Green Bay’s Al Harris is considered a premier cornerback, but Burress not only outplayed Harris in the NFC Championship Game, he manhandled him, stiff-arming him aside like a junior high kid en route to 11 catches. Burress dropped a touchdown, sure, but that’s part of his oeuvre. He does a lot more good than bad.

Burress is 6-foot-5 and athletic. He can get up there. The Steelers could use a receiver like him.

That’s what quarterback Ben Roethlisberger thinks, anyway.

In a postseason interview, Roethlisberger stated his desire for a tall receiver. If you’ll recall, Ben lobbied for the Steelers to retain Burress prior to his departure via free agency in 2005.

Of course, Hines Ward went nuts.

Even though Roethlisberger followed his pitch for a tall receiver by saying, “Our receivers are unbelievable,” Whines Hard went into a snit as predictable as a Patriots victory Sunday. His outburst was an incredible combination of ignorance and self-promotion.

Ward: “I don’t hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that.”

Actually, Whines, one reason the Patriots are 18-0 is because Brady demanded, in no uncertain terms, that management get him receiving help. That’s why Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth all joined the Pats this past off-season.

Ward: “He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio?”

Roethlisberger didn’t suggest that the Steelers needed a tall receiver instead of Santonio Holmes, or instead of Ward, for that matter. There’s no questioning their credentials, and Roethlisberger didn’t. But a big target in the red zone would help, or at least help more than Nate Washington.

Ward: “Look at my red-zone touchdowns. I have as many as anyone in the league.”

True dat, but why dat? Since 2002, Ward is tied for second in the NFL in percentage of touchdowns in the red zone. The Steelers go to Ward constantly inside the 20, treating him like the only option instead of the best option (which he has been, by default, since Burress left). Ward gets more red-zone looks — from Roethlisberger, it should be noted — than 6-5 tight end Heath Miller.

Ward is the Steelers’ No. 1 receiver because the Steelers won’t let anyone else audition for the job. Not Burress, who was clearly more gifted. Not Holmes, who is also more talented. Ward is a No. 2-level/style receiver but is constantly hammered into the No. 1 receiving hole. His ego demands it, and the Steelers placate. But gee, he sure can block.

On the field, Ward plays for the team. Off the field, I’ve honestly never heard any athlete talk about himself more than Ward does. He often disguises it with a veneer of false humility, constantly putting himself in the underdog role. But Ward is an opera singer: Me-me-me-me-me-me-me!

The underdog stuff is getting old. As Mike Prisuta of the ‘DVE Morning Show said, “He keeps saying that no one gave him a chance. He was a third-round pick. THAT’S A CHANCE!”

Ward actually quoted his career statistics while refuting Ben: “I’ve caught 719 balls.” He actually walks around with that number in his head. You’d think he hosted a talk show that did an 8.7 rating.

Ward: “If they go and get a tall receiver in the first round, someone’s got to lose a job.”

If that “someone” is Washington, that might be a good thing. CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! When it comes to drops, Washington makes Burress look like Fred Biletnikoff. Is Ward concerned about Washington losing his job, or about losing a bit of spotlight and a few catches himself?

There’s no denying what Ward is: A former Super Bowl MVP. A four-time Pro Bowler. He holds most of the Steelers receiving records.

There’s also no denying what Ward isn’t: A Pro Football Hall-of-Famer. If Art Monk isn’t in, Ward isn’t getting in. Ward’s numbers are inflated by the present-day style of football, and blocking doesn’t matter. If there’s a Korean-American bald guys’ Hall of Fame, though, he’s got a shot.

Ward also isn’t 6-5. One of Ward’s quotes sounded like Napoleon complex run amok, and perhaps revealed some jealousy of Burress, too: “Even with Plax and Kordell (Stewart), I would be wide open in the end zone, but people get enamored of tall receivers — ‘I have to throw it to him.’ ”

Bigger is better. That’s reality. That’s what sets Moss apart from the receiving pack. That’s why Burress — who showed remarkable courage playing all season on a bum ankle, by the way — has been so valuable in the development of quarterback Eli Manning.

The Steelers would be better if they got a big receiver. That’s more reality.

More reality than Ward would like to deal with, perhaps.

HometownGal
01-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Yes he is - Godsend can ask for and receive anything he wants! :wink02::toofunny::wink02:

fansince'76
01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes he is - Godsend can ask for and receive anything he wants! :wink02::toofunny::wink02:

All hail Saint Ben! :nw: :nw: :nw: (just don't ask for an autograph unless you have "boobs")

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
All hail Saint Ben! :nw: :nw: :nw: (just don't ask for an autograph unless you have "boobs")

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

That leaves you out. :wink02::flap::toofunny:

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 02:24 PM
That leaves you out. :wink02::flap::toofunny:

But not me, fortunately.

Although at my age, let's face it, he'll have to spend some time looking, shall we say, a little further south, in order to find them. :grin:

HometownGal
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
But not me, fortunately.

Although at my age, let's face it, he'll have to spend some time looking, shall we say, a little further south, in order to find them. :grin:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

The Duke
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I thin I'm just gonna refuse to read anything Mark Madden writes again

that article was made like to just insult Hines, one of the league's best receivers. who is madden to write something like that, he's one of the worst sports writers ever I've seen, he has no business insulting hines

and what's with the Korean bald guy hall of fame piece? who edits this guy's articles anyway?

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
I thin I'm just gonna refuse to read anything Mark Madden writes again

that article was made like to just insult Hines, one of the league's best receivers. who is madden to write something like that, he's one of the worst sports writers ever I've seen, he has no business insulting hines

and what's with the Korean bald guy hall of fame piece? who edits this guy's articles anyway?

I know what you mean, Duke, about the insulting stuff, but that's what Madden is known for and that's why so many of us can't stand him. (No one edits his pieces, by the way; he's quite a loose cannon and I think that's the way his employers like it, because it at least gets the listeners/readers talking, even if it's just to scream and yell at Madden.)

If you look beyond that garbage stuff near the end, though, I think he makes some very valid points. And Hines's excessive sensitivity and tender ego are well-known. I love the guy and admire his talent no end, but he does have some kind of chip on his shoulder.

touchdownward
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
That leaves you out.

But not me, fortunately.

A sure sign that a thread has run it's course when Gal and Jazzbird start talking about their boobs. :naughty:

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
i think that ben knows and the hines knows that hines as saved ben from many things.. bad passes.. running out of the pocket for his life, etc..

Rhee Rhee
01-29-2008, 03:27 AM
QUOTE=fansince'76;361249]I see the news has made Yahoo's front page now. No, this hasn't been blown out of proportion by the media, not at all. :coffee:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Screenshot1.jpg[/QUOTE]

at least rambo was #1 during the week :wink02:

i wanna go see it pretty bad.. i remember stallone used major roids for this movie..

klick81
01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
"Tom Brady wouldn't ask that" :sofunny:

So ****ing ridiculous.

alittlejazzbird
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
OK, one final post on this thread and then I PROMISE I'm through.

I have to apologize to Ed Bouchette, who surely never reads these things and wouldn't know or care about it anyway, but when I'm wrong, I admit it.

I have it from an extremely reliable source that Ed Bouchette contacted Hines Ward about a completely unrelated matter (actually to check in about his recent surgery and how he's coming along so he could report back to readers), and Hines brought up the subject of Ben's comments.

I had earlier expressed my opinion that Ed deliberately contacted Hines about Ben's comments in order to get what he knew would be an overreaction. I have been assured that this was not at all the intention. Did Ed, somewhere in some corner of his brain, suspect that Hines might know about the story and choose to bring it up on his own? Can't say for sure...

However, strictly speaking, I was wrong, and I apologize for assuming. Hopefully I made an a** out of only me this time. Mea culpa.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-29-2008, 12:01 PM
this doesn't sound good .......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm

maybe the media's exaggerating this, but I don't like it

and I agree with hines, height is overated

WTF BEN???!!!

Do tall receivers block any better? Because Ben. Tall receivers can't catch balls craddled in your arms with several tons of defensive lineman piled on top of you.

I thought the stupidity from SuzukiGate was a blip on the radar. Putz. :dang:

Preacher
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
OK, one final post on this thread and then I PROMISE I'm through.

I have to apologize to Ed Bouchette, who surely never reads these things and wouldn't know or care about it anyway, but when I'm wrong, I admit it.

I have it from an extremely reliable source that Ed Bouchette contacted Hines Ward about a completely unrelated matter (actually to check in about his recent surgery and how he's coming along so he could report back to readers), and Hines brought up the subject of Ben's comments.

I had earlier expressed my opinion that Ed deliberately contacted Hines about Ben's comments in order to get what he knew would be an overreaction. I have been assured that this was not at all the intention. Did Ed, somewhere in some corner of his brain, suspect that Hines might know about the story and choose to bring it up on his own? Can't say for sure...

However, strictly speaking, I was wrong, and I apologize for assuming. Hopefully I made an a** out of only me this time. Mea culpa.

Wow. If that is true, then the blame does fall to Hines. As I said, I don't trust the media, but if it is clear what the media did was right, then it is the player.

paw-n-maul-u
01-30-2008, 02:33 AM
baaaaaahahahaha, did a littlejazzbird chirp that in your ear?

I know this guy who knows bens hairdresser, he says his favorite cheese is swiss?

he also said that ben likes to get a face puppet of Ed. B like the guys on PTI, then dress up in a girlscout uni and take pictures (hiding his true identity ofcourse).

fansince'76
02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
But this thread, with everyone standing up to him, got him to leave.

Nine times out of ten when someone makes a very public proclamation on a message board to the effect of "Eff you guys, I'm outta here," they're typically back and actively posting inside a week or two (if it even takes that long). Message board psychology 101.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=367153#post367153

OK, I was a little off - make it just a shade under 3 weeks, then. :coffee:

steelergirl07
02-16-2008, 02:16 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=367153#post367153

OK, I was a little off - make it just a shade under 3 weeks, then. :coffee:

Haha, I was wrong. I'm sorry.:hug:

TeeJay
02-17-2008, 05:13 PM
this doesn't sound good .......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm

maybe the media's exaggerating this, but I don't like it

and I agree with hines, height is overated

Gotta love the media!!

Lets take a few quotes, re-arrange the words, then we have the story we want!

Come on. The Steeler staff would be mad to let this escalate. Besides, everyones knows the phase.."Rothlisberger to Ward" is now in the Dictionary. It's under...outstanding! :tt02:

Having a taller receiver would be good - someone for the future...........but why are Journo's even writing this stuff. Ward is the best receiver in Steeler history (record books don't lie) and one of the toughest in the League! And Ben, given the reign he needs will, one day, be as good as Bradshaw.....hell, maybe better.............

Hopefully, the backroom staff will see this for what it is...........a shit article written by someone from Cleveland!

fansince'76
02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
...........why are Journo's even writing this stuff.

Because it's offseason and they have to write something to justify the existence of their jobs.

Preacher
02-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Because it's offseason and they have to write something to justify the existence of their jobs.

Well...

That about sums up the thread!

verks36
02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff47/STEELERSWEEKLYVIDEO/ward293873742_m.gif