PDA

View Full Version : Ward Mad?

Pages : [1] 2

The Duke
01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
this doesn't sound good .......
Ward blindsided by Big Ben's comments
Hines Ward spends his time these days at home in Atlanta, recovering from postseason surgery on his right knee. A different kind of hurt was delivered by his own quarterback last week.

Ben Roethlisberger called for the Steelers to acquire a tall wide receiver, specifically to help inside the 20 and for a bailout target when he's under pressure. He said he had that with 6-foot-5 Plaxico Burress, but not since after the 2004 season.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

That stung Ward, the most decorated Steelers receiver in history.

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that," Ward said yesterday.

"I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.''

Randy Moss, who is 6-4, is Brady's first good, tall receiver in New England, which is trying to win its fourth Super Bowl in the past seven seasons. Moss joined the team this year after a trade and set an NFL record with 23 touchdown receptions.

Reggie Wayne, one of Manning's stable of Indianapolis Colts receivers, led the NFL with 112 receptions and 1,510 yards this season. Like Ward, he is listed at 6 feet. So, too, is Marvin Harrison, who long has been Manning's favorite receiver.

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract,'' Ward said, referring to Roethlisberger's wish to have a contract extension as soon as possible. "He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio?"

Holmes, who stands 5-11, led the Steelers with eight touchdowns and 942 yards receiving last season, on 52 catches. His 18.1 yards per catch were higher than any of the top 50 receivers in the NFL. Ward led them with 71 receptions despite playing much of the season with a sprained knee and caught seven touchdown passes. Nate Washington, who stands 6-1, was third with 29 catches.

"I don't buy into height,'' said Ward, one of four finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year award that will be chosen next week. "Look at my red-zone touchdowns -- I have as many as anyone in the league.''

Since 2002, Ward is tied for second in the league in percentage of touchdowns in the red zone, described by the NFL as inside the 20. Moss is first with 36 percent and Ward, Harrison and Terrell Owens are tied with 33 percent.

That's why Roethlisberger's appeal for a tall receiver to help in the red zone hurt Ward, who holds most Steelers receiving records to go along with his four Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl MVP award.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm

maybe the media's exaggerating this, but I don't like it

and I agree with hines, height is overated

ShutDown24
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Good for Hines in my opinion. Ben was totally out of line with that request. He should have went to managment privatley if he wanted to ask for what he did.

NV STEELERS 723
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Ben has Heath and Matt that are 6'5 and 6"7 ....most of the time those guys are open...I don't think it was a knock on Hines Smile, I think it was a wish for a WR that is tall...

It's no different than a NFL team having 2 different types of running backs.... 1 a slasher,,, one a inside guy.... Like LT and Tuner....

It does not hurt to have 2 different type of Wide Receivers....

Don't let Ben's comments dictate that he dislikes throwing to Hines...thats not what he said at all !!!!!!!!!

paw-n-maul-u
01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
What a joke of an article. It sounds bad but I bet it's taken all out of context.

I mean i guess whatever gets Hines motivated. If this is something he can use then great, way to go hines.

But he has to realize that his days are numbered and he is NOT the future of the franchise, and the steelers will be looking to upgrade sooner rather than later.

If Ben wants a tall receiver, give it to him. He is the most important part of our team, by far.

And as far as Brady and manning never bitching ... puhhhhhleaseeeee ... all Brady did in the offseason was bitch about them letting go of D. Branch. Then pats management went, damn, well shit, we can't stop nickle and diming our WR core because, as you can see, the patriots were one drop away from the SB last year. most likely becasue their best receiver would not be a # 2 receiver on ANY nfl team.

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Why in the blue hell would Hines be mad? Did Ben come out and say that Ward sucks and he doesn't like throwing to him? NO. All he did was ask for a tall WR to help the offense. Where's the problem?

Once again, the media makes something out to be more than what it is. Once Hines sits down and thinks about what Ben actually said and what he THINKS he said, he'll realize that.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Gonna be a long offseason....

Rhee Rhee
01-25-2008, 12:22 AM
i actually don't think these are hines ward...

i somehow can't imagine him saying these sorta things...

ben has to just keep quite until his contract is done... he isn't the GM he can't make those decisions...

MDSteel15
01-25-2008, 12:56 AM
I think all Ben is saying is that Holmes looks like he could be Hines' eventual replacement and he wants someone in the mold of Plax that is able to stretch the D and help in getting Hines and Co. open more!

Edman
01-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Don't you just LOVE the offseason?

ShutDown24
01-25-2008, 01:24 AM
If Santo isn't a receiver that can "Stretch the field" I don't know who is O.o

Steel Pit
01-25-2008, 01:28 AM
I think all Ben is saying is that Holmes looks like he could be Hines' eventual replacement and he wants someone in the mold of Plax that is able to stretch the D and help in getting Hines and Co. open more!

Well Ben shouldn't say anything about his current teammates.

After each victory you always heard Ben praising his offensive line for the great job that they did, what a bunch of bull$shit that was, and then he turns around in the offseason and acts as if his WR group isn't getting it done.

I knew from the onset that Ben's comments were going to create problems, but, as always, a forum member or two always knows more than the rest of us so they shot down my concern.

Heck, Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes should "Meet the Press" and indicate that the Steelers could get over the hump if they would sign a QB such as Tom Brady.
I would like to hear Ben's reaction to a comment such as that.

Preacher
01-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Why in the blue hell would Hines be mad?

I think it was this comment!

Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

Yep. That must be it!

:chuckle:

ChronoCross
01-25-2008, 03:56 AM
To me Ben should worry more about working on a quicker release and wishing for a more stable O Line. Ben also needs to work on better reads and be able to scan the field faster then what he does. Ben holds the ball to long at times and still does not look at the whole field. Tall WR is not needed when we have great and tall TEs for the Endzone and when used they caught TDs when not used they did not score TDs.

Ben improved a lot this last season and he will improve more this up coming season.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2008, 03:57 AM
I don't see the big deal with this asking for a tall reciever is not throwing off on the ones you have.

Michael Keller
01-25-2008, 04:17 AM
I love Hines as a player but he does tend to say the wrong things. I totally agree with Ben's desire and before he said I wished for it. A tall receiver is a plus and that taks nothing away from Ward. NFL football in the 21st century, big paychecks, big egos and a viper like media always ready to stretch a good story.

The Duke
01-25-2008, 06:05 AM
I think it was this comment!

Yep. That must be it!

:chuckle:

lol, yeah. of all the comments that one was totally uncalled for, but I still had a good laugh with it

d2609j
01-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Like Ive said before. It this all stems from Ben being a selfish and unprofessional teammate. For anybody to think that he wont take a shot at a teammate when he get a chance, he showed he will with his comments about his WRs. If anybody thinks he will take less money to help the team, he "not even thinking about that." If anybody thinks he will win the teams MVP. An award voted on by his teammates. He wont. He will always lose to a guy who had half the season he had. (Harrison). Because inside the lockeroom he is seen for who he is. Selfish

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 06:49 AM
OK, so let me get this straight...

Wishing for a tall WR = Ben being selfish.

What a load of crap. Hines needs to get over it - he was NOT disrespected in any way.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Like Ive said before. It this all stems from Ben being a selfish and unprofessional teammate. For anybody to think that he wont take a shot at a teammate when he get a chance, he showed he will with his comments about his WRs. If anybody thinks he will take less money to help the team, he "not even thinking about that." If anybody thinks he will win the teams MVP. An award voted on by his teammates. He wont. He will always lose to a guy who had half the season he had. (Harrison). Because inside the lockeroom he is seen for who he is. Selfish

:blah: :blah: :blah: :coffee:

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Why be so dismissive of his post 76? He has a very legitimate point. In a season where GS set all kinds of Steelers records, he wasn't voted the team's MVP. Doesn't that say something about the situation?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-25-2008, 07:37 AM
You know what's nice about a tall reciever? It's third-and-five, there is nobody really open, but you know you are able to throw it up to the tall guy and he can more-than-likley come down with it because he has a 4-6 inch height advantage on the DB covering him.

I wouldn't call this Ben being selfish. Why is wanting a type of offensive player that can do this being called selfish?

And don't forget people, the media gives us the story. I highly doubt the words came out as they were put in the story. The media loves to take a quote and tweak it to start a contreversy, and that's more-than-likey what happened here. Ben probally made the "he's lsited at six feet but probally is 5-11" as a joke, and the reporter wrote it down as him being dead serious.

I love Hines Ward, he's the man. However, he's getting older and won't be around too much longer. He's starting to wear down, spending more time on the sidelines due to injury than ever before. I have no problem drafting and grooming someone to eventually take over Santonio's #2 spot....and if Ben is gonna be getting this big contract and be our QB for a long time, why not give him thet ype of WR that makes him most comfortable?

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 07:48 AM

ben has to just keep quite until his contract is done... he isn't the GM he can't make those decisions...

Ummm, I think Ward made those comments and rightfully so (IMO). I'm sure it will be passed off as that "damn Pittsburgh media just looking for a story" during the offseason. I strongly doubt Bouchette is just making it up and made Ben open his big mouth and spew idiotic comments about his WR's...lol.

Amazing, when players from other teams make idiotic comments (Ocho Stinko, TJ Houshabcdefghijk, Brady, Belicheat to name a few), it's taken as golden. But when it's Ben God Roethlisberger it must be the media's fault. They are taking his words out of context right? Must be, because Ben is not known for opening up his mouth and calling out the former coaching staff or anything like that. It's just not the "Big" Ben we have come to know and love.

GeneralRobinson
01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Hines Ward is anything but disrespected. The club paid him the highest signing bonus in history ($9 million) plus a $1 million roster bonus. He was voted to the 75th anniversary team by the fans. In my opinion, Hines is using any thing he can to motivate himself and it will not affect his relationship with Ben at all. He has two years left on his contract, whereby in my opinon, he will retire after the 2009 season. The club will have to find a replacement for him as soon as possible, so why not do it with a tall receiver (which if you listen to Ben's rationale for signing one, it makes sense, especially in the red zone). The quotes from the article sound bad. However, I think it will not affect either player as far as on field performance.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 08:10 AM
If Santo isn't a receiver that can "Stretch the field" I don't know who is O.o

I agree. He keeps getting better and better. While I would like to see this team draft a WR late in the draft to replace Washington or Wilson (don't care if they are tall or not), I have no problem with Ward and Holmes as the top two.

O-lineman, o-lineman, o-lineman.

At times, some things are better left unsaid. Unfortunately, some athletes are not capable of keeping foot out of mouth. Maybe the Steelers front office can put Roethlisberger in charge of drafting this year? Have to keep him happy right?

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
pluz with a tall wr they can jump as well.. which depending on whoever the #3 or #4 person covering him can out jump anyday to catch the ball.. we do need to get a tall threat, and make mis-matchs all day long

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 08:16 AM
In a season where GS set all kinds of Steelers records, he wasn't voted the team's MVP. Doesn't that say something about the situation?

Really, Jeremy - who the fook cares about not being voted team MVP? I'm sure Ben hasn't lost any sleep over it. :dang: However - I think we can all agree that without Ben this season, the Steelers would have most likely been a 6-10 team rather than a10-6 AFCN division winner.

I dunno - I really don't see anything terribly wrong with what Ben said regarding his receivers. Hines is getting up there in age and with Santo as our only other WR who shows any degree of consistency, sure Ben's going to want another target or two. The fact that he expressed his desire for a "taller receiver" isn't out of the ordinary for a 6'5" QB in today's NFL.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Ummm, I think Ward made those comments and rightfully so (IMO). I'm sure it will be passed off as that "damn Pittsburgh media just looking for a story" during the offseason. I strongly doubt Bouchette is just making it up and made Ben open his big mouth and spew idiotic comments about his WR's...lol.

Amazing, when players from other teams make idiotic comments (Ocho Stinko, TJ Houshabcdefghijk, Brady, Belicheat to name a few), it's taken as golden. But when it's Ben God Roethlisberger it must be the media's fault. They are taking his words out of context right? Must be, because Ben is not known for opening up his mouth and calling out the former coaching staff or anything like that. It's just not the "Big" Ben we have come to know and love.

Careful now......you're horning in on my act.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Really, Jeremy - who the fook cares about not being voted team MVP? I'm sure Ben hasn't lost any sleep over it. :dang: However - I think we can all agree that without Ben this season, the Steelers would have most likely been a 6-10 team rather than a10-6 AFCN division winner.

I dunno - I really don't see anything terribly wrong with what Ben said regarding his receivers. Hines is getting up there in age and with Santo as our only other WR who shows any degree of consistency, sure Ben's going to want another target or two. The fact that he expressed his desire for a "taller receiver" isn't out of the ordinary for a 6'5" QB in today's NFL.

It's the most visible sign of respect that your teammates can give to you as a player.

MarylandSteeler
01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
IMO, Big Ben has this uncanny ability to not be able to keep his mouth shut. You don't need to be talking bad about your team mates in the offseason.

Hines one of the best wide recievers in Steelers history and that is saying something seeing the company that is up there with him.

Like someone said earlier we won a Super bowl with out a tall wide reciever, we didn't have Burress, and look who won the MVP of the Super bowl HINES WARD.

I think that if Ben wants a tall reciever he needs to talk to management about it in private not voice it to the media, that is something that needs to be handeled internally.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be nice to have a tall wide reciever, but we also have Heath and Spaeth, and we didn't use their height to our advantage. And our main focus in this draft needs to be o-line, o-line, o-line!!

Another time when Big Ben needed to keep his Big Mouth shut.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Careful now......you're horning in on my act.

lol, sorry Jeremy. It just amazes me, that's all. Apparently Hines Ward found a problem with what Roethlisberger had to say. I guess Ward is below the totem pole now.

Like I said, right or wrong, at times you are better off keeping your mouth shut. IMO, Roethlisberger is not capable. Needs that attention.

If Brady made those comments, it would be "Look at the Golden Boy crying and moaning!!! Real team player right there huh?".

Oh well, keep talking Ben. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 08:24 AM
I think that if Ben wants a tall reciever he needs to talk to management about it in private not voice it to the media, that is something that needs to be handeled internally.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

But wait, stop with that talk. Why would he do that? It would not grab him the attention he so desperately craves on a regular basis.

Former coaching staff....now WR's. Same old, same old. :yawn:

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:25 AM
lol, sorry Jeremy. It just amazes me, that's all. Apparently Hines Ward found a problem with what Roethlisberger had to say. I guess Ward is below the totem pole now.

Like I said, right or wrong, at times you are better off keeping your mouth shut. IMO, Roethlisberger is not capable. Needs that attention.

If Brady made those comments, it would be "Look at the Golden Boy crying and moaning!!! Real team player right there huh?".

Oh well, keep talking Ben. :coffee:

Well we know that God Send still has a lot of growing up to do. This is just another sign that he's not the quarterback that some people want him to be yet.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 08:26 AM
It's the most visible sign of respect that your teammates can give to you as a player.

Well, then there must be 52 other guys who feel totally disrespected, huh?

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Well we know that God Send still has a lot of growing up to do. This is just another sign that he's not the quarterback that some people want him to be yet.

I agree. I'm not doubting what he is capable of doing on the field. He played his best ball this season and I tip my hat. Unfortunately, he still has a tendency of opening his mouth when he is better off keeping it shut.

But I guess that's just good ol' Ben being Ben and the evil Pittsburgh media (Bouchette in particular) trying to sell papers.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Well, then there must be 52 other guys who must feel totally disrespected, huh?

Are you being dense on purpose? The MVP award means the team looks to you as it's leader. This team doesn't seem to feel that way about God Send. They don't back him when he shoots his mouth off about Cowher and now they're not backing him with his comments about taller wide receivers.

Even Randy Moss has the support of his teammates.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I agree. I'm not doubting what he is capable of doing on the field. He played his best ball this season and I tip my hat. Unfortunately, he still has a tendency of opening his mouth when he is better off keeping it shut.

That's all about maturity. Players mature at different rates. I'd love for God Send to turn in to his generation's John Elway, but he's not there yet.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Are you being dense on purpose? The MVP award means the team looks to you as it's leader. This team doesn't seem to feel that way about God Send. They don't back him when he shoots his mouth off about Cowher and now they're not backing him with his comments about taller wide receivers.

Yeah, after all, you told us all what a "prick" he is. Please, give it a rest.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
That's all about maturity. Players mature at different rates. I'd love for God Send to turn in to his generation's John Elway, but he's not there yet.

You mean the same John Elway that almost singlehandedly ran a HC out of town in his 10th season? Not to mention pulled an "Eli Manning" 2+ decades before Eli Manning on draft day? How quickly folks forget.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1993/0802_large.jpg

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, after all, you told us all what a "prick" he is. Please, give it a rest.

Of course sir. God forbid anything bad be said about Big Ben God Send! He's the most perfect man and football player in the game today! We should all feel privileged to hear the absolute gems that he speaks every time be deems us worthy to hear his words! He is far superior to all of us!

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!!

*Sarcasm off*

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:39 AM
You mean the same John Elway that almost singlehandedly ran a HC out of town in his 10th season? Not to mention pulled an "Eli Manning" 2+ decades before Eli Manning on draft day? How quickly folks forget.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1993/0802_large.jpg

And had become one of the game's most respected players by the end of his career.....but he's not even half the man Big Ben God Send is! Big Ben God Send uses players like Elway to wipe his butt in the morning when he craps out his daily gold nugget!

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I still fail to see what the big deal is with Ben asking for a tall WR. Plus, he prefaced his comment about Hines' height (which I believe was a joke and was taken out of context) by saying that his receivers were unbelievable. But I guess that doesn't matter, right?

Mountain, molehill anyone?

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Of course sir. God forbid anything bad be said about Big Ben God Send! He's the most perfect man and football player in the game today! We should all feel privileged to hear the absolute gems that he speaks every time be deems us worthy to hear his words! He is far superior to all of us!

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!!

*Sarcasm off*

You're right - he's the "devil incarnate." After all, you said so. /sarcasm

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 09:00 AM
I still fail to see what the big deal is with Ben asking for a tall WR. Plus, he prefaced his comment about Hines' height (which I believe was a joke and was taken out of context) by saying that his receivers were unbelievable. But I guess that doesn't matter, right?

Mountain, molehill anyone?

Yeah, but he's not allowed to say anything, X-T. Didn't you know that?

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I think he is a big reason why some of our WR draft picks didn't work out because he was unwilling to help them unless they begged for it.

There is a reason. Eitherway, all they have to do is ask, not beg. I can't say that I blame him. It's not like Plaxico Burress is the most level headed player in the league. I need subtitles to understand what in the hell he is saying half of the time. It's not like Edwards went on to greener pastures and took the league by storm.

Ward also wants to help the rookie receiver assimilate into the Steelers' offense, though he learned a lesson about offering such help from the previous two receivers the Steelers drafted in the first round. So, if Holmes wants his help, starting with minicamp this weekend, he'll have to ask for it.

"If he wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward said this week. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it. I did that before, and it didn't work."

Ward said he was rebuffed in his efforts to help Troy Edwards, drafted in the first round in 1999, and Plaxico Burress, drafted in the first round in 2000. Ward felt those two receivers did not respect him because he was drafted in the third round in 1998.

Their reaction, he said, was something like this: "How can a third-round guy who doesn't even start -- I'm here to take your job -- help me?"

Eventually, Ward reacted this way: "All right, help yourself. You're a first-rounder anyway, you're here to beat me out."

"So, I stopped doing that," he said.

Nevertheless, he took Antwaan Randle El under his wing when the Steelers drafted him in the second round in 2002, he said, because Randle El asked for his help. He would do the same for Holmes or wide receiver Willie Reid, a third-round draft choice this year. He also believes that, with the loss of Randle El to the Washington Redskins in free agency, the rookies can help the offense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06131/689171-66.stm

Holmes asked for help, Ward gave it to him and it seems like he is coming along just fine. Randle El asked for advice, he got a Super Bowl ring and went on to D.C. to get a nice fat pay-day. I would say Ward is doing just fine when it comes to helping out rookie WRs. Of course they would need to want his help.

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
in other news....

ben called najeh a "dookie roll".

:jawdrop:

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 09:18 AM

I think you'd better settle yourself down there, Jeremy. I don't appreciate your ignorant comments.

I guess I'll just have to agree with you, even though I really don't, because as we all know around here - whatever you say is GOSPEL. :nw:

DACEB
01-25-2008, 09:21 AM
in other news....

Say it is'nt so!!

Well that does it, I'm putting on my platform shoes and I'm out of here!!

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
in other news....

:sofunny:

Thankfully it wasn't a "The Domestic Disturbance Dookie Roll". Then all hell would break loose.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Say it aint so!!

Well that does it, I'm putting on my platform shoes and I'm outta here!!

Sorry, double post!

Deja vu. :wink02:

steelergirl07
01-25-2008, 09:28 AM
How can people say Ben needs to keep his mouth shut. He has said something about Cowher and now his wide receivers. Yeah he should give it a rest with Cowher already. But still thats not too much talking in my book, considering everytime they lose, he'll take the blame. You ever hear him say "I should have got more protection", "the WR's dropped too many balls", "the D should have been able too hold um". No, he takes the blame for every loss. All he does is ask for a tall WR, and all hell breaks loose. I see no reason to be upset here. He said the ones he has are amazing. It would just be nice to have a tall WR, so that when he's under pressure, he can just wing it and know the WR is probably going to make the play since he's 4 inches or so taller than the DB. Whats so wrong with that?

memphissteelergirl
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I wish Ben hadn't said anything but Hines needs to grow up a little too.

This sentence pretty much sums up my feelings about the whole thing. I really don't think Ben's were meant to be malicious towards Ward or any of the other WR's, but Ben should know by now he needs to choose his words carefully, ESPECIALLY when dealing with the media, who can be like sharks circling in the water at the scent of blood. And I have always believed that you should NOT put your internal team issues in the street like that.

As for Hines, I love him like crazy, but come on! He should be secure enough in his role on the team not to let Ben's comments get to him like that. And even if he did have a problem with them, don't retaliate in the press like that. I just pray these guys get over themselves before mini-camp and settle this like grown-ups.

Bottom line, you two, keep your issues in house. That is all.

BlastFurnace
01-25-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm more concerned about Santonio's hamstrings and Ward's injuries than I am about their height. When healthy, they are good enough regardless of how tall they are.

I have heard before that Ben and Hines are not close at all. This probably just stems from that.

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 09:51 AM
really though, this is all ancient news.

ben actively and publicly lobbied to keep burress after 04. i dont recall it being a big problem with ward then.

speaking of ward, i am sill waiting for his presser to he can inform us if he is finally "sold" on the tomlin hire yet.

inquiring minds want to know.

damn, i miss willie parker. all he's ever said is that the 06 steelers played fat and happy and he made millions of people laugh by saying he wanted to put up LT type of numbers (which he did).

Counselor
01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
OK, this is a bit of pot/kettle situation. I love Hines to death, but he's not a "keep his mouth shut" kind of guy, so why should we expect Ben to be? Hines is the one who ripped Cowher in that SI article after the Super Bowl, he's the one who had plenty to say in the media regarding the coaching change and Faneca last year---but what he said was OK, or was taken out of context. Ben said NOTHING bad about Ward---he does nothing but praise Ward over and over and over again all year.

I think we all agree we need a better third reciever, and preferably a tall one for the redzone who can go up and catch those "jump balls". Heath and Spaeth are big targets, but their not "jump ball" types.----Why are we ripping Ben for saying what everyone here has said a thousand times?

The only person I think who has a modicum of a right to be upset by these comments are the #3 &4 WR's---Wilson and Washington---because it means one of their spots is taken.

The media (and Ward) are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. The fact is Ward gets jacked every time someone wants to draft another receiver----see above reference SI article. He needs to realize he can't do it alone---and get off of it.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
OK, this is a bit of pot/kettle situation. I love Hines to death, but he's not a "keep his mouth shut" kind of guy, so why should we expect Ben to be? Hines is the one who ripped Cowher in that SI article after the Super Bowl, he's the one who had plenty to say in the media regarding the coaching change and Faneca last year---but what he said was OK, or was taken out of context.

This might be just me, but I definately had a problem with what Ward had to say about the Steelers releasing Porter and the coaching changes. By no means do I feel Ward is a saint when it comes to airing team business to the media.

Thankfully I'm not one of those people who felt it was "OK", much like how I feel it's time for "Big" Ben to mature and keep his mouth shut when it comes to certain topics. Eitherway, I'm sure a donation to a police dog foundation will put this topic away.

I now need to visit www.bigben7.com and salivate. My screen name is BensBunny.

Counselor
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
This might be just me, but I definately had a problem with what Ward had to say about the Steelers releasing Porter and the coaching changes. By no means do I feel Ward is a saint when it comes to airing team business to the media.

Thankfully I'm not one of those people who felt it was "OK", much like how I feel it's time for "Big" Ben to mature and keep his mouth shut when it comes to certain topics. Eitherway, I'm sure a donation to a police dog foundation will put this topic away.

I now need to visit www.bigben7.com and salivate.

I understand what you are saying, but when that article about Ben and wanting a tall reciever came out---did you have a problem with it? If you did great---but as I recall most people just debated who we should get a tall reciever. Now that Ward is ticked off, what Ben said isn't OK anymore.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Actually found this thread pretty shocking. Literally almost fell out of my chair after reading the last post.

http://www.bigben7.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9339

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I understand what you are saying, but when that article about Ben and wanting a tall reciever came out---did you have a problem with it? If you did great---but as I recall most people just debated who we should get a tall reciever. Now that Ward is ticked off, what Ben said isn't OK anymore.

Good point.

IMO, if I were Ben, I would worry more about o-lineman and #3 and #4 WR's. Not Holmes and Ward. So yeah, I had a problem with it.

Overall, I think he is better off keeping it in house. I felt the same about Ward. I continue to feel the same when it comes to "Big" Ben taking shots at the former coaching staff once a month. It's not the first time (and I'm sure not the last) he will open his mouth.

Edman
01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Why be so dismissive of his post 76? He has a very legitimate point. In a season where GS set all kinds of Steelers records, he wasn't voted the team's MVP. Doesn't that say something about the situation?

Korkie Stewart was voted the Steelers' MVP for 2001. How did that turn out?

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 10:15 AM

How dare you say anything to justify Ben's comments. :jawdrop: :wink02: Don't you know "Godsend" is an arrogant, selfish prick who swears at little kids and refuses to sign autographs? :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Once again, better off keeping it in house instead of airing it to the dirty, mean Pittsburgh media. Much like with Ward yapping off.

If that is asking too much, fine. He can keep it up.

MDSteel15
01-25-2008, 10:23 AM

I hope he doesn't turn into Elway, you want to talk about selfish.... Ask the Baltimore Colts.

MDSteel15
01-25-2008, 10:25 AM

This isn't totally true! YOUR team leader IS Hines Ward.... Team MVP should be for who had the most impact that year. The vote was wrong but Pittsburgh is defensive minded.

d2609j
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
:blah: :blah: :blah: :coffee:

I know the truth hurts your feelings.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
This isn't totally true! YOUR team leader IS Hines Ward.... Team MVP should be for who had the most impact that year. The vote was wrong but Pittsburgh is defensive minded.

Some of you are really deep in to your delusions aren't you.

MDSteel15
01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
How am I delusional? Ben was the most valuble person to the team this year! You can't tell me that the Monday night Ravens game made Silverback the MVP... That's insane!

Counselor
01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
How am I delusional? Ben was the most valuble person to the team this year! You can't tell me that the Monday night Ravens game made Silverback the MVP... That's insane!

I think he means that the reason Silverback got MVP was not because the Steelers are "defensive minded" its because no one in the locker room likes BR.

I think most of us agree with you that BR should have gotten the MVP, if it was for "play" not for "popularity".

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Wasn't the context of Ben's "taller receiver" a Wish List, including resigning Faneca as well. And didn't he say he was getting guys like Hines "killed" because he was throwing too high to them and they were jumping up and getting destroyed while in the air. I'm just saying, I am pretty sure the last guy Ben was trying to call out was his go to clutch guy, and even alluded to the fact, if they had a tall guy, that drew some double teams, that wold make Hines even that much more open.

He might not have articulated it correctly, but when I originally read Ben's "Tall Receiver" wish list, that is what I took it to mean. And personally, Cedric can go. He was supposed to step up this year, I called on him to show up in games all season and the guy fell off the planet.

Hines is Awesome, Ben knows it.
Holmes is Awesome, Ben knows it.
#3...that is what Ben is alluding to, that's was my take.

and for anyone that wants Ben to be Brady...go get your knee pads, and suck on Brady's peep all you want. I'm happy with Ben's performance so far in his career, minus the face plant into the windshield, so I will hope the guy gets what he wants, like a good O-line and an Awesome #3 to open up the passing game even more. Especially in this "no touching WRs" league that the NFL has become.

MDSteel15
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
I think he means that the reason Silverback got MVP was not because the Steelers are "defensive minded" its because no one in the locker room likes BR.

I think most of us agree with you that BR should have gotten the MVP, if it was for "play" not for "popularity".

I will totally agree with you on that.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Ben had to step up his game, but was a known commodity to the team and didn't have to fill his own shoes. With the loss of Joey Porter, everyone seemed to think our outside linebacker position would be lacking, but SilverBack stepped up and led the defense with his on the field domination and presence. I think him, being able to fill the shoes of a Steeler Legen Joey Porter is what won him the MVP. And I'd bet, if Ben didn't vote for Parker (at the time leading the league in rushing) for MVP, he voted for the most dominant player on the defense and that was Harrison. Troy was hurt all year, or corners were up and down, the d-line fell apart, but Harrison played like a beast from snap 1 all season.

That is why the team rallyied behind Harrison, because he filled Huge Shoes and did it impressively.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Some of you are really deep in to your delusions aren't you.

No - it's really very simple. Some of us have different opinions than yours and you seem to have a problem handling that. If you want to think Ben is a big, bad ogre - have at it - that's your perogative, but don't expect those of us who see him in a different light to aid you in stomping your ogre down.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I know the truth hurts your feelings.

Right. Whatever you say, pal. :yawn:

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
No - it's really very simple. Some of us have different opinions than yours and you seem to have a problem handling that. If you want to think Ben is a big, bad ogre - have at it - that's your perogative, but don't expect those of us who see him in a different light to aid you in stomping your ogre down.

It's not a matter of having different opinions.....it's a matter of burying your heads in the sand.

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 11:11 AM
it's a matter of burying your heads in the sand.

...or pulling ones head out of the clouds.

memphissteelergirl
01-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Amen, Sista! :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
It seems like a matter of digging too into things that are said by Ben too often.

If anyone should be offended, it should be Washington and Wilson, not the 2 best receivers on the team. He indicated that when Plax was on the team, Hines was open even more often. Yet this season, Wilson did zilch, and Washington, still drops the ball.

It seems to me that some folks, just hate Ben as the QB and want a different face for the franchise. Would Kordell (I'll be in the hall fame) Stewart be better? Tommy Maddox? Charlie Batch as the starter? I mean really, if not Ben, who? Payton? EIi? Tom B?

Ben is the QB, he like most other QBs in the league is the most visable guy to the media. Since Bettis retired, the media has been egging Ben on to become the vocal leader of the team. With Joey gone, it falls to Ben. Hines is Hines, he's the Superbowl MVP who had an entire year of coverage and media love, but for the day to day aspect of selling papers, its the QB that does that.

Is Ben young, yeah, is he still riding a motorcycle around without a helmet, nope.

Is he the Franchise QB, yes, deal with it. Stop nit picking everything the guy does and says, it only makes people seem unable to be happy when they rip into the Starting QB who just set a franchise TD record and carried the team with No Pass protection to the playoffs.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Ben has Dan Marino on speed dial and I'm sure that Dan has said to Ben, "Careful kid, you may never get back to the SB if you don't always try to improve." One thing Dan never had that Ben has is serious weapons. I'm sure that in their conversations, Ben has indicated a tall receiver, as a #3 would be awesome. Why not, it WOULD BE awesome. Cedric is a DUD at this point in his career and Washington has butter fingers in big spots. Oh he'll do great cathing a 2nd and 8 pass in the 1st Quarter, but a TD pass will go right through his hands in the 3rd when we are down by a score or two, making us settle for a field goal.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
It's not a matter of having different opinions.....it's a matter of burying your heads in the sand.

I'd have to disagree there, Jeremy. I think it's more a matter of your sheer hatred of Ben because of what you were told by a third party. Ben has faults - no two ways about it, but really, don't we all?

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
faults like knocking up his girlfriend and then dumping her? Those kid of faults?

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Is he the Franchise QB, yes, deal with it.

Then maybe he should act like a franchise quarterback instead of acting like a whiny little bitch all the time.

ShutDown24
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, then there must be 52 other guys who feel totally disrespected, huh?

Yep. And it is comments like this wide receiver one which will cost Ben such admiration.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Then maybe he should act like a franchise quarterback instead of acting like a whiny little bitch all the time.

Ok, unless you are related to the girl he's banging or know him personally, I'd like to know where, with a quote, he has been a whiny little bitch as you put it? I don't see it, I see a guy saying it would be great to have his favorite Olineman return and saying he'd love a strong tall guy to throw to, as well as what he already has. He wants to improve, I don't see him saying "My oline sucks" Like Manning did, or "I want Branch" Like Brady did. Where with a quote, can you show me he's been anything but professional in his interviews.

DACEB
01-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I'd have to disagree there, Jeremy. I think it's more a matter of your sheer hatred of Ben because of what you were told by a third party. Ben has faults - no two ways about it, but really, don't we all?

Let us all in on what was said by this third party.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Let us all in on what was said by this third party.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=337484#post337484

DACEB
01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Ben said NOTHING bad about Ward---he does nothing but praise Ward over and over and over again all year.

I think we all agree we need a better third reciever, and preferably a tall one for the redzone who can go up and catch those "jump balls". Heath and Spaeth are big targets, but their not "jump ball" types.----Why are we ripping Ben for saying what everyone here has said a thousand times?

The only person I think who has a modicum of a right to be upset by these comments are the #3 &4 WR's---Wilson and Washington---because it means one of their spots is taken.

Although I agree 100% that things should ALWAYS be kept in house, I agree with Counselor. Ben did'nt say anything wrong, and I'm sure his eye is on the future.

That said, if anybody is coming across like a whiny bitch it's Ward. I absolutely love Ward but this whole team needs a lesson in STFU!

SteelerFanInCA
01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I have no problem with Ben asking for a tall WR. If that makes Ben feel more comfortable back there while he is running around, I'm all for it. I don't think he was personally directing anything towards Hines.

Brady & Manning don't have those tall WR's but they also don't have the "O" line we have either.

Lord Stiller
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope Ben gets his tall receiver......

with our second round pick of WR James Hardy (6'7" 220 lbs) from Indiana

Elvis
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM

As much as I like Hines Ward, he has always kind of been a whiner off the field. Just like the year before we won the Super Bowl, him crying like a little baby... that just irks me. Be a man Hines, accept defeat like a man/woman should. yeah.. Rhee Rhee.. I believe that Hines would say those things, I think that Hines is the one that just needs to quit thinking that everyone in the Steelers Org. is out for his job or to hurt his feelings.
But something else with Ben, Ben needs to get more accurate at where he is throwing some of his passes. He does get our recievers hit alot with his high passes. Holmes and Ward do very well at making Bens' completion perc. look very good in my opinion..
:helmet:

alittlejazzbird
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Oh please. d2609j, with all due respect, get a freaking grip. It only took your one paragraph here to demonstrate that you are clueless about this whole situation. For example, your comment about "if anybody thinks he will take less money to help the team, he [sic] 'not even thinking about that,'" If you read the original article, here's what Ben said about his contract:

You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team.

His reference to "not dealing with that right now" is because the Steelers organization has not yet initiated contract talks with Ben and his agent, NOT because he is a "selfish and unprofessional teammate." A quarterback who publicly says "I'm always going to do what's best for this team" is not someone who is poised to rant and rave about his contract or threaten to leave, and until Ben does anything to the contrary, there is no reason to not take him at his word.

Oh, and incidentally, James Harrison did not have "half the season [Ben] had," and that's why both of them are going to the Pro Bowl.

This kind of reporting by Ed Bouchette, from whom I expect better, just sends me to the moon. I realize the Steelers' season is over, and someone has to dredge up a storyline in order to sell papers, but for crying out loud, this makes me so MAD.

Let's take a look at what Hines might be "blindsided" about, shall we?

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines? Or Santonio? Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11, now."

First of all, I defy any of you to imagine Ben making the comment about Hines being 5-11 as opposed to 6 foot in any malicious way. I can easily hear him laughing after he said that. Now, what did he call Hines in that quote? "Unbelievable." Why on earth would Hines be upset at being called unbelievable? His response: "I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that." Well, first off, Tom Brady isn't allowed to say much of anything to anyone at any time by order of his coach. Peyton Manning would be too afraid of people actually thinking he has any opinion other than the usual player-speak nonsense. And how does Hines know what they've ever asked for, or even if any reporter has ever asked either of them "so what's on your wish list for next season?" Oh, and by the way, when was the last time that either the Colts or Pats had a 10-6 season preceded by an 8-8 season? Is it unreasonable to think that Ben might, in fact, actually have a wish list based on the past two years' records? Clearly there are needs on this team, and it's naive to think otherwise.

In the red zone, it's nice to have a guy like that,'' Roethlisberger said of wanting a taller receiver. "Obviously, we have a guy like Nate who can jump out of this world, he can jump so high. It's nice to have that.

"But to have a big guy who can create mismatches -- the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plax's side just because he's a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan [Randle El]. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more.

OK, now what did Ben say here? He paid a compliment to Nate Washington and suggested that Hines would catch even more balls if they had a taller receiver, because that receiver would attract so much coverage, in the same way as Randy Moss and Plaxico Burress do, that it would free Ben and Hines to go to town on opposing teams. I think Ben is correct that the Steelers haven't had that kind of mismatch since Plax was around, and I agree with his assertion that such a distraction would give the offense another weapon (not to mention some much-needed unpredictability) if a tall wide receiver forces the defense to double cover him all game.

Hines's response: "I don't buy into the hype you have to be tall. You throw the ball up and give somebody a chance to make a play, I'll make as many catches as anyone."

No one is doubting Hines's abilities, least of all his quarterback. Ben, in my view, is instead suggesting that they would be an even better tandem by creating a tall-receiver distraction.

Now to the comment about getting "killed" over the middle:

He also did not buy Roethlisberger's opinion that because the 6-5 quarterback was throwing down to his smaller receivers, they got "killed" on occasion reaching up for passes. Roethlisberger said he'd like to throw to someone tall who is on his plane.

"A lot of that has to do with technique,'' Ward said. "If he wants to say it's height or whatever or he didn't see me -- I've caught 719 balls. I don't think me being short had anything to do with catching those balls.

Here's what Ben said in the original article:

"I'm 6-5," Roethlisberger noted. "I throw down to a lot of these guys. You see so many times Hines reaching up and I'm getting him killed because he's reaching up for balls and I'm just throwing it on my plane. To have someone on the same plane as me would just make my job ... I wouldn't get Hines killed going across the middle all the time."

He's TRYING TO PROTECT HINES, not imply that he's inferior in some way. I don't know if Ben is correct that someone as tall or taller than he is would make that kind of a difference, but what I do know is that he was thinking of Hines's safety when he said this, not putting him down.

I could go on and on throughout this article, but here's the point I want to make:

Hines Ward is my favorite Steeler, and he has been since day one of his arrival. He's a gutsy, tough, awesome receiver who has meant a great deal to this team and is a worthy Super Bowl MVP.

However, for whatever many and varied reasons known only to Hines, it is well documented that he is a partcularly sensitive guy who takes offense to a lot of things. Every time the Steelers have drafted a wide receiver (including Burress and yes, Santonio too), he has commented that no one gives him any respect because the Steelers keep feeling the need to draft wide receivers. When he held out prior to the start of training camp in '05, he said no one was giving him any respect by not paying him what he thought he deserved.

Ed Bouchette is a very smart man and well aware of this, so it wasn't rocket science to deduce that he (or a staffer) could get in touch with Hines Ward, who's in Atlanta and totally unaware that Ben was recently asked something like "so Ben, do you have a wish list for next season?" by a reporter, and say "Hines, guess what Ben said about you? Have any comment?"

I encourage everyone on this forum to pay careful attention when reading these kinds of articles that are deliberately intended to cause controversy, and see them for what they are. A good reporter can skew things any way they wish to sow the seeds of juicy discord (especially among teammates, which is never a good thing), and Ed Bouchette is a good reporter. It's not hard to see that he took a good bit of what Ben originally said out of context, and Hines responded as Ed knew he would.

Now Ben is forced to once again do damage control where none was even really necessary - he has to explain to Hines how his remarks were never meant to be derogatory or insulting -- in fact, quite the opposite -- and he has to live with the media and fans speculating ONCE AGAIN that maybe Ben really is that "selfish, unprofessional teammate" that they've heard other people say he is.

All I'm saying, with all due respect to the many very intelligent and independent-minded folks on this board - just because someone publishes something in a newspaper doesn't make it the whole, or accurate, truth.

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Ward is the last person on the team who should be upset about a player taking perceived shots through the media

This was Ward talking to Sports Illustrated about Cowher in 2006 after SB XL:

Ward said of his relationship with Steelers coach Bill Cowher: "I don't have anything to say to him. After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys...?"

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_453121.html

Of course Ward then claimed his comments were "taken out of context"

This was Ward talking about the direction of the team last March after Tomlin was hired and Porter was cut

"(Alan) Faneca called me, some of the veteran guys, my phone has been blowing up like, 'What the hell are we doing?' " said Ward, a nine-year veteran. "A lot of guys are questioning what's going on, kind of worried about the makeup of this team, where we are actually going to go."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_495927.html

Ben could have considered the impact of his comments on his current WRs, but Ward leaves Ben in the dust when it comes to sniping through the media - no surprise those 2 divas have a rocky relationship

OneForTheToe
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
AHH ...... for the good ole days when Bradshaw was the most poplular player on the team with his teamates.:wink02:

LVSteelersfan
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
No disrespect to Hines as he is one of my favorite Steelers, but how many games has he missed due to injury the past couple seasons? And when he has played he has hardly been 100%. It hurts the team. We need to start grooming some new receivers to replace him and it needs to happen NOW. The backups are not good enough to take over the number 2 spot. I have no respect for the PRESS that blows everything WAY OUT OF PROPORTION. That whole Anthony Smith quote about the New England game was one such thing. They turned his words around and made it sound like something more controversial than it really was. People are way too hard on Ben who rarely says anything bad about his teammates. But he says a couple of things about ex coaches and this thing, and everyone is all over him. Give the man a break. If anything, he gives people more credit than they deserve (O-line).

stlrtruck
01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I have no problem with Ben putting a wishlist out there to have a tall WR. Heck if I were a QB my wishlist would be something like the following list (every year)....
1) Tall WR with GREAT hands
2) Offensive Linemen as solid as a 6 foot thick and tall titanium steel wall
3) RBs that can run through above mentioned wall and can block incoming blitzers
4) Limited access to the media so they don't twist and contort my words to be something they don't mean so my teammates think I'm saying something about them

I'm sure we all have wishlists and if certain co-workers were to hear it, they could be upset with us because others didn't recognize it as a WISH list.

alittlejazzbird
01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Thank you, Atlanta Dan and LVSteelersfan, for echoing my sentiments in a much more concise way!

Sorry I went on for so long in my post, BTW, but this kind of stuff just FROSTS me, you know what I mean? I love Hines, but enough with the hurt feelings already.

LVSteelersfan may have said it best:

People are way too hard on Ben who rarely says anything bad about his teammates. But he says a couple of things about ex coaches and this thing, and everyone is all over him. Give the man a break. If anything, he gives people more credit than they deserve (O-line).

Honestly, if you look at the record, I don't think Ben has ever said anything bad about his teammates. He tried to be as delicate as possible about some of his coaches, and was less than successful, but in my opinion you're absolutely 100% correct when you say that if anything, Ben builds up his teammates way more than they sometimes deserve, and he steadfastly shoulders 100% of the blame (again, way more than he deserves) when the team loses.

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
he stated that his wr's were awesome.. he just wishes he had a tall wr.. i dk. the media always make a big deal with evrything

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Ward is the last person on the team who should be upset about a player taking perceived shots through the media

Ben could have considered the impact of his comments on his current WRs, but Ward leaves Ben in the dust when it comes to sniping through the media - no surprise those 2 divas have a rocky relationshipthis nugget was kinda cute from todays article:

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract,'' Ward said, referring to Roethlisberger's wish to have a contract extension as soon as possible. "He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio?"
im trying to imagine what "problems" have ward so worried.

wake up. rehab repaired acl in knee.
remember i dont have an acl.
decide to wear the 3 carat solitaire or the simple hoop earrring.
call lawyer and make sure 2 cars i gave to friends were legally obtained.
call agent and decide which 3rd world nation to give a million bucks to.
look for plax's cell phone number to wish him good luck.
call ced wilson to make sure his gf hasnt put a plug in him.
work a bit on presenters speech for jeromes HOF induction.
wonder if i am really worth as much as larry fitzgerald.
hit the clubs.
go to sleep.

its a rough life. im glad i dont have those "problems".

i think hines smells a contract restructuring on the horizon. i wonder whose pockets that saved money will be going into?

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
No disrespect to Hines as he is one of my favorite Steelers, but how many games has he missed due to injury the past couple seasons? And when he has played he has hardly been 100%. It hurts the team.

Wow....you just described God Send's 2006 season!

PS: I love the way some of you throw Ward under the bus in favor of God Send. It makes me sick. You call me a bad fan, some of you are the exact same way.

PisnNapalm
01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that," Ward said yesterday.

If I remember right Brady was pissed at the end of the 2006 season because they had let Branch go and they were hurting for good wide receivers. What did the Pats management do..? They spent money and brought in Welker, Moss and Stallworth. Moss is tall and fast. Stallworth is pretty good sized and fast. Welker is fantastic underneath.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Big Ben God Send is not Tom Brady.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=337484#post337484

thank you for posting these comments

I don't believe a word of it, but now understand why this would taint someone's persception of Ben. As far as I'm concerned, the person that believes this was actually said by Ben to an 11 year old, can no longer be objective about the QBs performance on or off the field. They will forever have their opinion driven by something their cousin told them happened.

This clears it up for me though. thanks again.

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
PS: I love the way some of you throw Ward under the bus in favor of God Send. It makes me sick. You call me a bad fan, some of you are the exact same way.

get real.

if faneca, willie, porter, cowher, and ben are all fair game, then what makes hines so special?

werent you the 1 calling ben a whiny little bitch in a thread (about an article) where ward is complaining about all his "problems" and pretending he's being called a yellow bellied smurf?

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Big Ben God Send is not Tom Brady.

You're right, he only has 1 ring to Tom's 3 (pending 1)

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
thank you for posting these comments

I don't believe a word of it, but now understand why this would taint someone's persception of Ben. As far as I'm concerned, the person that believes this was actually said by Ben to an 11 year old, can no longer be objective about the QBs performance on or off the field. They will forever have their opinion driven by something their cousin told them happened.

This clears it up for me though. thanks again.

Of course you don't.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
get real.

if faneca, willie, porter, cowher, and ben are all fair game, then what makes hines so special?

werent you the 1 calling ben a whiny little bitch in a thread (about an article) where ward is complaining about all his "problems" and pretending he's being called a yellow bellied smurf?

Let me see........maybe a ****ing Super Bowl MVP Trophy should have earned him a little bit of slack. But then again, he had the audacity to challenge Big Ben God Send. And we all know God Send has never been in the wrong on anything.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Of course you don't.

Right, cause I don't beleive everything I read in message boards and chat rooms. I also tend to beleive that had that happened, someone objective would have overheard it and it would have been made into a larger issue.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Jeremy, we get it, You Hate Ben. We understand, nothing he ever does will be ok with you, because you flat out hate the guy.

As for Ward, I love him as much as I do Ben, and he was probably trying to save Ced's job, cause Cedric Wilson was a no show all year, but him and Hines are kind of close, so Hines would hate to see someone else fill Ced's shoes.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
but in this case, objectively, who is looking out for the team. The QB that wants a 3rd Legit target, or the receiver who doesn't want to see his good friend out of a job.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Up until he already won the SB and was the MVP, Ward openely admitted he hated the fact that the Steelers had drafted WRs in the 1st round. Including Plax.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Right, cause I don't beleive everything I read in message boards and chat rooms. I also tend to beleive that had that happened, someone objective would have overheard it and it would have been made into a larger issue.

In Pittsburgh? Get real Dino. Pittsburgh is a sports crazy city and will forgive anything their star athletes do. You know that as well as I do. Hell, the old women who hit God Send with her car got death threats! Ditto for Tommy Maddox after he threw his pick six against Jacksonville a few years ago. Anyone who says anything bad about the current King Of Pittsburgh will get the same treatement I'm getting right now.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:44 PM
but in this case, objectively, who is looking out for the team. The QB that wants a 3rd Legit target, or the receiver who doesn't want to see his good friend out of a job.

Great...he wants a big receiver and he wants them to resign Fancea. Let's see him put his money where his fat mouth is. How about signing a contract for below market value so the team can afford to get him all these toys. If he does that, I'll back off.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
i think hines smells a contract restructuring on the horizon. i wonder whose pockets that saved money will be going into?:busted::busted::busted:....and here it is folks....why else would hines bring up Bens contract ??? ben didn't talk about it, so why is hines ??? ward knows the steelers F.O. isn't going to absorb his cap hit the way it is. and i guess hines doesn't realize there's usually 5 recievers on the active roster. so unless he's worried about one of his 3 worthless buddies being replaced, or HIMSELF, i don't understand him taking offence. or could it be, he thinks ben is calling him out, to do "whats best for the team ", and take a pay cut.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure had he said, what you indicate you believe he said, other outlets other then PPG would have used it to sell papers. I have to at this time, believe it to be Urban Myth, and until I see, in print, something that tells me Ben is "a whiny bitch" I will continute to support the guy.

I never was for the death threats, of course, but ever team has the Fanatics that make up their fan base. And idiots are the same in P-burgh as they are in Rogers Arkansas, They are just idiots.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
:busted::busted::busted:....and here it is folks....why else would hines bring up Bens contract ??? ben didn't talk about it, so why is hines ??? ward knows the steelers F.O. isn't going to absorb his cap hit the way it is. and i guess hines doesn't realize there's usually 5 recievers on the active roster. so unless he's worried about one of his 3 worthless buddies being replaced, or HIMSELF, i don't understand him taking offence. or could it be, he thinks ben is calling him out, to do "whats best for the team ", and take a pay cut.

Why should he unless God Send is willing to sign for less then $9 million a season?

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
:busted::busted::busted:....and here it is folks....why else would hines bring up Bens contract ??? ben didn't talk about it, so why is hines ??? ward knows the steelers F.O. isn't going to absorb his cap hit the way it is. and i guess hines doesn't realize there's usually 5 recievers on the active roster. so unless he's worried about one of his 3 worthless buddies being replaced, or HIMSELF, i don't understand him taking offence. or could it be, he thinks ben is calling him out, to do "whats best for the team ", and take a pay cut.

Great Point, say Ben Does in fact take a lower contract then expected, is he maybe saying "lets all do it for the team" and pointing out the big money earners.

In looking at the FA market, the Bears have a Gaurd they may not re-sign that might be ok for a quick fix 1-2 season signing.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty sure had he said, what you indicate you believe he said, other outlets other then PPG would have used it to sell papers. I have to at this time, believe it to be Urban Myth, and until I see, in print, something that tells me Ben is "a whiny bitch" I will continute to support the guy.

I never was for the death threats, of course, but ever team has the Fanatics that make up their fan base. And idiots are the same in P-burgh as they are in Rogers Arkansas, They are just idiots.

Fine....I never asked anyone to stop supporting him. I told my story and I was told I must be a liar because there was no way that God Send (a man who nobody here has spent more than 5 minutes with) could have ever said anything like that.

My opinion is my own...if you don't like it feel free to ignore me. We'll see who's right in the end.

rbryan
01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I love Hines as much as anyone and don't think he should be asked to take a paycut, at least this coming year. (Watch the last game against JAX again and tell me he looks like he's on the decline)

But he does cry a lot to the media. The "no respect card" has been played to death, give it a rest Hines.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Fine....I never asked anyone to stop supporting him. I told my story and I was told I must be a liar because there was no way that God Send (a man who nobody here has spent more than 5 minutes with) could have ever said anything like that.

My opinion is my own...if you don't like it feel free to ignore me. We'll see who's right in the end.

C'mon Jeremy, what's the real story? Seeing he's about 5 years younger than you, I am guessing you tried to look tough in front of a few of your friends when you were about 10 or 12, picked on "God Send" and he promptly kicked your ass? :toofunny:

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
C'mon Jeremy, what's the real story? Seeing he's about 5 years younger than you, I am guessing you tried to look tough in front of a few of your friends when you were about 10 or 12, picked on "God Send" and he promptly kicked your ass? :toofunny:

Wow....what a classy comment from a moderator.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I told think you're a liar, I think you truly believe what you say happened did happen. And for me, that explains why you don't like the QB. It makes sense to me that you will always look at the negative aspect of his game and interviews because you come at him with a personal negative experience.

My opinion of his performance and his in print interviews, can not be changed because of a he said, she said that I don't know the entire facts about. It is fine with me that you hate him, or don't like him if hate is too strong a word, but I will defend his on the field play, for what it is, and will call him out for holding the ball to long or calling improper blocking protection, when it happens.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I told think you're a liar, I think you truly believe what you say happened did happen. And for me, that explains why you don't like the QB. It makes sense to me that you will always look at the negative aspect of his game and interviews because you come at him with a personal negative experience.

My opinion of his performance and his in print interviews, can not be changed because of a he said, she said that I don't know the entire facts about. It is fine with me that you hate him, or don't like him if hate is too strong a word, but I will defend his on the field play, for what it is, and will call him out for holding the ball to long or calling improper blocking protection, when it happens.

Then you're better than two of our moderators.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow....what a classy comment from a moderator.

WTF does him being a Mod have to do with anything? He's a regular member just like you before being a Mod. He's entitled to his opinion just as you are.

You are rude and condescending to people who don't agree with your almighty opinion and you expect them to cut you some slack in return?

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I won't engage in peronal attacks like that, I may use improper terms, especially when the name of an enemy qb is used in comparison with my team's qb, but I will not stoop to attacking other Steelers fans...unless they root for PSU, then its fair game cause I hate them.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Yep, that Kool-Aid sure is good!

http://themoderatevoice.com/wordpress-engine/files/2007-october/Kool_AidMan.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

Awwwwwww - I shall curl up in the fetal position and :crying01::crying01::crying01: You hurt my wittle feelings. :crying01::crying01:

Jeremy - please give it a rest. It is getting beyond nauseating.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
WTF does him being a Mod have to do with anything? He's a regular member just like you before being a Mod. He's entitled to his opinion just as you are.

You are rude and condescending to people who don't agree with your almighty opinion and you expect them to cut you some slack in return?

Because Mods are suppossed to be above petty sniping with members. That's the role mods on every other message board I've ever been a member of have played.

I don't expect any slack. But if you're going to argue with me, stay on topic and don't go personal on me. 76 went personal....so now the gloves are coming off.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks Dino. It's good to see someone who can act like an adult.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I won't engage in peronal attacks like that, I may use improper terms, especially when the name of an enemy qb is used in comparison with my team's qb, but I will not stoop to attacking other Steelers fans...unless they root for PSU, then its fair game cause I hate them.

That's your perogative, Dino. If you choose not to defend yourself against rude, arrogant and ignorant remarks, that's on you. I prefer to shovel the shit right back.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Dino. It's good to see someone who can act like an adult.

You had better stop right here, Jeremy. YOU started this entire fiasco, no one else.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Because Mods are suppossed to be above petty sniping with members. That's the role mods on every other message board I've ever been a member of have played.

I don't expect any slack. But if you're going to argue with me, stay on topic and don't go personal on me. 76 went personal....so now the gloves are coming off.

Oh bullshit. I don't know what other message boards you post on, but every board I've ever been a member of, the Mods are far worse with the smack than either Gary or I are here.

Don't go personal on you???? Who called who dense, hmmmmm?

alittlejazzbird
01-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Um, actually, I have spent more than five minutes with Ben, on more than one occasion, in public situations. I'm a professional musician and have had the opportunity to speak with Ben at length at a few charity events we have both attended. I'm not calling you a liar, because you were only parroting a story you heard secondhand. I'm calling the source of that story, if there was indeed a source, "not particularly credible," shall we say.

I can re-affirm what many other training camp attendees and others have said about Ben -- in any public situation, he is without fail polite, charming, intelligent, an interested listener who asks good questions, surprisingly shy, and surprisingly very funny in a self-deprecating way. We chatted once for almost 20 minutes about our mutual love of animals and the ways his foundation supports animal welfare groups, among other subjects.

When he's with his friends and "off the record," as far as I'm concerned, his private life is his own and none of my business. But it's a major stretch to think that even if he's hot and exhausted after a day of practice at St. Vincent's, that he's going to say something so ridiculously juvenile to a kid who wants an autograph.

You're right about one thing, however. Your opinion is your own. And I will feel free to ignore you.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
That's your perogative, Dino. If you choose not to defend yourself against rude, arrogant and ignorant remarks, that's on you. I prefer to shovel the shit right back.

We're not supposed to do that. We're mods - we're not allowed to have opinions.

http://www.innercity.freeserve.co.uk/See%20no%20Evil,%20Hear%20no%20Evil,Speak%20no%20e vil.JPG

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM

Yeah you're right, I must have come up with a new username and started this.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm the last person that should be accused of acting like an adult. I needed to understand your hatred of the QB, and now do.

But if you cheer for the other College team in PA that isn't named the Panthers...that's when I lose all cool points and will engage in some of the most childishly rude comments that you'll ever see.

Hence, I'm on a Steelers board, so I can relate with people and not have arguements, unless its about the actual play we see on the field.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm the last person that should be accused of acting like an adult. I needed to understand your hatred of the QB, and now do.

But if you cheer for the other College team in PA that isn't named the Panthers...that's when I lose all cool points and will engage in some of the most childishly rude comments that you'll ever see.

Hence, I'm on a Steelers board, so I can relate with people and not have arguements, unless its about the actual play we see on the field.

I don't hate him. I hate way people jump to his defense each and every time he opens his mouth and says something stupid. It's beyond anything I've ever seen in my lifetime.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah you're right, I must have come up with a new username and started this.

Look who threw the first poison dart and you won't have to look any farther than the mirror.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Look who threw the first poison dart and you won't have to look any farther than the mirror.

Whatever.

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow....you just described God Send's 2006 season!

Not certain if you include me there, but you will note I said "those two divas" deserve each other.

Ward took his shots at Ben - Ben saves his ammo for ex-coaches. I am not a big fan of either practice but hey, it's the offseason and we have to post on something.

Ward got some pub and neither Ben or Ward are counting on a $300 tax rebate check from the Feds to make ends meet so who gets paid what is not a life or death matter for ether one

Pro athlete cat fights through the media are entertainment - no more and no less than that :smile:

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Here you go, Jeremy. Did you not craft this post?

I rest my case.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh, and I don't want to be Moderator, not yet. Not untill I don't have any more stars under my name. And only if I can ban all fans that don't root for PITT as well. HA HA!

but then again, it would probably just me talking to myself...and that's what I was doing before I joined the board.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Not certain if you include me there, but you will note I said "those two divas" deserve each other.

Ward took his shots at Ben - Ben saves his ammo for ex-coaches. I am not a big fan of either practice but hey, it's the offseason and we have to post on something.

Ward got some pub and neither Ben or Ward are counting on a $300 tax rebate check from the Feds to make ends meet so who gets paid what is not a life or death matter for ether one

Pro athlete cat fights through the media are entertainment - no more and no less than that :smile:

Oh no....I thought your comment about both of them being divas was far and away the best thing that's been written in this whole thread.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Here you go, Jeremy. Did you not craft this post?

I rest my case.

LOL

OK

Tim
01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll never understand why so many professional athletes take every damn thing so personally.

Why do they need to search for motivation? Why is it that unless people are constantly singing praises to them, they're somehow "disrespected".

Hines is probably my favorite Steeler of the modern era. In no way is Ben asking for a tall receiver a dis on Hines. Wouldn't every tall QB love a tall receiver?

The only knock on Ben here is that he probably needs to keep a few thoughts private. The Media is not his friend, even the guys from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
So we can all agree then. Jeremy will Never like Ben, and he will continue to not get along with people who defend Ben, because of his dislike of Ben and will not be evaluating Ben's performance on and off the field in an objective way.

Now that it is settled, lets get back onto Mr Ward.

Ward is trying to save his friend a job. Bottom line. Wilson has been a major dissapointment, especially when you consider he lost the 3 slot to a guy that can't make clutch catches. Ward is awesome, and should retire a Steeler. However, in a battle of "throwing under the bus" he'll lose to Ben, as receivers almost always do when they attemp to throw the Face of the Franchise QB under the bus.

The_WARDen
01-25-2008, 02:41 PM
*yawn* another Hines b*tch session...wake me later.

A tall WR is not a bad thing and Ben didn't say it in a demeaning way but whatever, Hines needs to whine about something.

:blah::blah::blah:

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Let me see........maybe a ****ing Super Bowl MVP Trophy should have earned him a little bit of slack. But then again, he had the audacity to challenge Big Ben God Send. And we all know God Send has never been in the wrong on anything.im still trying to figure this out...

so terry bradshaws two MVP trophies shoulda earned him twice the amount of slack?

ward plays in pittsburgh... not in boston where deionne branch is still considered a top 5 wr in the league thanks to his mvp award.

ward toed the line of the locker room code that you dont bring up teammates contract negotiations or their money.

the rooney writing is on the wall. this is bens ship. long after cowher, wisenhunt, whipple, faneca, and ward are gone, ben will remain.

i think ward sees this and is feeling a little bit of pressure and insecurity with his $8.75 mil cap hit for 08. its understandable, which is why i wont call him a whiny little bitch or a prick with every 3rd post.

d2609j
01-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh please. d2609j, with all due respect, get a freaking grip. It only took your one paragraph here to demonstrate that you are clueless about this whole situation. For example, your comment about "if anybody thinks he will take less money to help the team, he [sic] 'not even thinking about that,'" If you read the original article, here's what Ben said about his contract:

His reference to "not dealing with that right now" is because the Steelers organization has not yet initiated contract talks with Ben and his agent, NOT because he is a "selfish and unprofessional teammate." A quarterback who publicly says "I'm always going to do what's best for this team" is not someone who is poised to rant and rave about his contract or threaten to leave, and until Ben does anything to the contrary, there is no reason to not take him at his word.

Oh, and incidentally, James Harrison did not have "half the season [Ben] had," and that's why both of them are going to the Pro Bowl.

This kind of reporting by Ed Bouchette, from whom I expect better, just sends me to the moon. I realize the Steelers' season is over, and someone has to dredge up a storyline in order to sell papers, but for crying out loud, this makes me so MAD.

Let's take a look at what Hines might be "blindsided" about, shall we?

First of all, I defy any of you to imagine Ben making the comment about Hines being 5-11 as opposed to 6 foot in any malicious way. I can easily hear him laughing after he said that. Now, what did he call Hines in that quote? "Unbelievable." Why on earth would Hines be upset at being called unbelievable? His response: "I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that." Well, first off, Tom Brady isn't allowed to say much of anything to anyone at any time by order of his coach. Peyton Manning would be too afraid of people actually thinking he has any opinion other than the usual player-speak nonsense. And how does Hines know what they've ever asked for, or even if any reporter has ever asked either of them "so what's on your wish list for next season?" Oh, and by the way, when was the last time that either the Colts or Pats had a 10-6 season preceded by an 8-8 season? Is it unreasonable to think that Ben might, in fact, actually have a wish list based on the past two years' records? Clearly there are needs on this team, and it's naive to think otherwise.

OK, now what did Ben say here? He paid a compliment to Nate Washington and suggested that Hines would catch even more balls if they had a taller receiver, because that receiver would attract so much coverage, in the same way as Randy Moss and Plaxico Burress do, that it would free Ben and Hines to go to town on opposing teams. I think Ben is correct that the Steelers haven't had that kind of mismatch since Plax was around, and I agree with his assertion that such a distraction would give the offense another weapon (not to mention some much-needed unpredictability) if a tall wide receiver forces the defense to double cover him all game.

Hines's response: "I don't buy into the hype you have to be tall. You throw the ball up and give somebody a chance to make a play, I'll make as many catches as anyone."

No one is doubting Hines's abilities, least of all his quarterback. Ben, in my view, is instead suggesting that they would be an even better tandem by creating a tall-receiver distraction.

Now to the comment about getting "killed" over the middle:

Here's what Ben said in the original article:

He's TRYING TO PROTECT HINES, not imply that he's inferior in some way. I don't know if Ben is correct that someone as tall or taller than he is would make that kind of a difference, but what I do know is that he was thinking of Hines's safety when he said this, not putting him down.

I could go on and on throughout this article, but here's the point I want to make:

Hines Ward is my favorite Steeler, and he has been since day one of his arrival. He's a gutsy, tough, awesome receiver who has meant a great deal to this team and is a worthy Super Bowl MVP.

However, for whatever many and varied reasons known only to Hines, it is well documented that he is a partcularly sensitive guy who takes offense to a lot of things. Every time the Steelers have drafted a wide receiver (including Burress and yes, Santonio too), he has commented that no one gives him any respect because the Steelers keep feeling the need to draft wide receivers. When he held out prior to the start of training camp in '05, he said no one was giving him any respect by not paying him what he thought he deserved.

Ed Bouchette is a very smart man and well aware of this, so it wasn't rocket science to deduce that he (or a staffer) could get in touch with Hines Ward, who's in Atlanta and totally unaware that Ben was recently asked something like "so Ben, do you have a wish list for next season?" by a reporter, and say "Hines, guess what Ben said about you? Have any comment?"

I encourage everyone on this forum to pay careful attention when reading these kinds of articles that are deliberately intended to cause controversy, and see them for what they are. A good reporter can skew things any way they wish to sow the seeds of juicy discord (especially among teammates, which is never a good thing), and Ed Bouchette is a good reporter. It's not hard to see that he took a good bit of what Ben originally said out of context, and Hines responded as Ed knew he would.

Now Ben is forced to once again do damage control where none was even really necessary - he has to explain to Hines how his remarks were never meant to be derogatory or insulting -- in fact, quite the opposite -- and he has to live with the media and fans speculating ONCE AGAIN that maybe Ben really is that "selfish, unprofessional teammate" that they've heard other people say he is.

All I'm saying, with all due respect to the many very intelligent and independent-minded folks on this board - just because someone publishes something in a newspaper doesn't make it the whole, or accurate, truth.

Welcome to the board, Mrs Roethlisberger. It is nice to see you get on here to stick up for your step son. I do need to tell you that it only took me one paragraph to say what alot of steeler fans think of your step son. Selfish. As far as "dealing with the contract". When the time comes when little Benny signs on the dotted line, we will see if he really did whats best for the team. Than you can write a 15 paragraph blog on why everybody got it all wrong and misinterpreted you boy. Have a good day, Mam

steelergirl07
01-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm just curious, how did you come to the conclusion that Ben is selfish? Just wondering what the reasons are?

alittlejazzbird
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the board, Mrs Roethlisberger. It is nice to see you get on here to stick up for your step son. I do need to tell you that it only took me one paragraph to say what alot of steeler fans think of your step son. Selfish. As far as "dealing with the contract". When the time comes when little Benny signs on the dotted line, we will see if he really did whats best for the team. Than you can write a 15 paragraph blog on why everybody got it all wrong and misinterpreted you boy. Have a good day, Mam

Oh, now that's impressive. What an excellent post. I was tempted to ask the moderators to set up a kiddie board so you could go post there with all your little friends, but then I discovered by looking at your previous posts that you are actually around 38 years old.

So now I'm just disappointed. Someone as old as you are should be able to do much better than that. :yawn:

I guess you have the same sort of bitter little "why I hate Ben" story to tell as what's-his-name does, right?

Look, I'm only going to waste three more sentences on you - I call it like I see it, and every legit, respectable poster on this forum knows it. I won't hesitate to call out Ben when he has it coming. The media is manipulating their readership with this kind of nonsense, and I'll call them on it as well.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh, now that's impressive. What an excellent post. I was tempted to ask the moderators to set up a kiddie board so you could go post there with all your little friends, but then I discovered by looking at your previous posts that you are actually around 38 years old.

So now I'm just disappointed. Someone as old as you are should be able to do much better than that. :yawn:

I guess you have the same sort of bitter little "why I hate Ben" story to tell as what's-his-name does, right?

Look, I'm only going to waste three more sentences on you - I call it like I see it, and every legit, respectable poster on this forum knows it. I won't hesitate to call out Ben when he has it coming. The media is manipulating their readership with this kind of nonsense, and I'll call them on it as well.

http://kikidesign.hautetfort.com/files/Applause.gif

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
im still trying to figure this out...

so terry bradshaws two MVP trophies shoulda earned him twice the amount of slack?

ward plays in pittsburgh... not in boston where deionne branch is still considered a top 5 wr in the league thanks to his mvp award.

ward toed the line of the locker room code that you dont bring up teammates contract negotiations or their money.

the rooney writing is on the wall. this is bens ship. long after cowher, wisenhunt, whipple, faneca, and ward are gone, ben will remain.

i think ward sees this and is feeling a little bit of pressure and insecurity with his $8.75 mil cap hit for 08. its understandable, which is why i wont call him a whiny little bitch or a prick with every 3rd post.

How about you wait until he's put his money where his mouth is and actually signed that extension.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat. :blah: :blah: :blah:

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 04:45 PM

If this isn't proof-positive that the maturity level of people has hit an all-time low, I don't know what is. Congratulations.

You don't agree with his opinion? Fine. But act like an adult about it.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
If this isn't proof-positive that the maturity level of people has hit an all-time low, I don't know what is. Congratulations.

You don't agree with his opinion? Fine. But act like an adult about it.

Fine advice that everyone should take.

Ricco Suavez
01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Great...he wants a big receiver and he wants them to resign Fancea. Let's see him put his money where his fat mouth is. How about signing a contract for below market value so the team can afford to get him all these toys. If he does that, I'll back off.

Jeremy if this does happen I do not expect your opinion of Ben to change, from your closed minded drivel it is obvious you hate Ben. You do not know him only what is written about him in sensationalized paper articles. I on the other hand have read enough of your thoughts to have formed an opinion of you.

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM

I can tell you right now that that is a load of :bs:

Every message board I've ever been on, except for Steelers.com, where they are actually PAID to moderate, the mods/admins have always expressed their opinions. I had no problem expressing myself when I was a moderator here, and I make no apologies for that. When you sign up as a mod, the job description does not include becoming a mind-numbed robot with no opinions on anything. So HTG and 76 have as much right to their opinions here as you do, whether you like it or not.

DACEB
01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
You know what makes this all the worse, is seeing that dick Rome on every post.

Kind of fitting though.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Every message board I've ever been on, except for Steelers.com, where they are actually PAID to moderate, the mods/admins have always expressed their opinions. I had no problem expressing myself when I was a moderator here, and I make no apologies for that. When you sign up as a mod, the job description does not include becoming a mind-numbed robot with no opinions on anything. So HTG and 76 have as much right to their opinions here as you do, whether you like it or not.

That's about as bush league as you can get.

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Whatever.

I have no intention of getting into it with you, I've said my piece, and now I'm done.

Have a nice day.

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2008, 05:11 PM

You're right XT. It's ridiculous. When I was offered the job of Moderator here, SF didn't tell me I could post my opinions here. In fact, I believe he encourages mods posting their 2 cents as long as they're also doing their job.

fansince'76
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Whatever.

I have no intention of getting into it with you, I've said my piece, and now I'm done.

Have a nice day.

No, it's true - we get really cool uniforms to wear and everything! :cheer:

http://www.hr-derby.com/images/fillmore/badnews.jpg.

SteelersJW
01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't like our boys fighting. It causes me great pain.

I don't know what Hines' problem is, he needs to calm down.

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
i think he just had a bad day and the media cam on that bad day

Preacher
01-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Fine advice that everyone should take.

Jeremy.

I respect your service to this country, I respect your opinions on this board, but your act is getting tiring. You are rude and insulting to anyone and everyone who disagrees with you. I have put up with it in other threads when you have outright attacked and condemned my beliefs and stands and unintelligent, backward, and redneck, yet not endeavor beyond sniping, slogan throwing, and labeling, to back up your claims.

However, to now hear from you, that everyone should take the advice to "Act like an adult." Well, let me be first to say,

PLEASE.. LEAD THE WAY

Preacher
01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
As to the actual point of this thread...

There are three active parties involved here. Ben, Ward, and Ed.B.

Of the three, which one stands to make the most out of a quarrel between Ben and Ward?

That is where you start looking for the cause.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 05:43 PM
No, it's true - we get really cool uniforms to wear and everything! :cheer:

http://www.hr-derby.com/images/fillmore/badnews.jpg.

:rofl::rofl:

Not to mention the medical, dental and optical benefits, 401(k) plan, 4 weeks paid vacation and all of the Kool Aid we can drink - totally free! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
As to the actual point of this thread...

There are three active parties involved here. Ben, Ward, and Ed.B.

Of the three, which one stands to make the most out of a quarrel between Ben and Ward?

That is where you start looking for the cause.

Preach - IMO (and that of almost everyone else) Ben is clean on this one - a big receiver is a part of a passing attack & Ben was not out of line for expressing an interest in having one

Ben having indicated a big WR would be helpful, It was a fair question for Ed.B. to ask Ward what he thought of that

I do not think Ward was misquoted & Hines has a history of lighting the fuse if someone gives him a match, for purposes of "motivating himself" or enjoying seeing his name in the paper - Ward then decided to get snarky with the comment about Ben's contract

The cause of the story was Hines taking the bait - it will have no long term consequences - a pro football locker room is not Little House On the Prarie

But of course we all know this is Arians' fault

Preacher
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Preach - IMO (and that of almost everyone else) Ben is clean on this one - a big receiver is a part of a passing attack & Ben was not out of line for expressing an interest in having one

Ben having indicated a big WR would be helpful, It was a fair question for Ed.B. to ask Ward what he thought of that

I do not think Ward was misquoted & Hines has a history of lighting the fuse if someone gives him a match, for purposes of "motivating himself" or enjoying seeing his name in the paper - Ward then decided to get snarky with the comment about Ben's contract

The cause of the story was Hines taking the bait

You may very well be right. It is just that before I blame Ward, I want to ask a couple questions, such has, Just HOW MUCH was quoted to Ward when he responded. Did any one Wards' quote get left off the print?

I have a distrust of the media first, because it is a business like everything else.

With that said, you are probably right... and if I had to lay money on it being Ward or Ben on this one, I would probably go with Ward overreacting a little bit.

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
You may very well be right. It is just that before I blame Ward, I want to ask a couple questions, such has, Just HOW MUCH was quoted to Ward when he responded. Did any one Wards' quote get left off the print?

I have a distrust of the media first, because it is a business like everything else.

With that said, you are probably right... and if I had to lay money on it being Ward or Ben on this one, I would probably go with Ward overreacting a little bit.

I bet Ward read the original Ed.B. piece on Ben before Ed.B. interviewed him

Of course maybe Ed.B. gave Ward some off the record stuff about how Ben said he thinks Plax is a better receiver than Ward:smile: (just kidding)

19ward86
01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
i can completely understand ward's feelings, he has been very underrated since college. he was one of the most versital players ever and got drafted nearly in the 4th round. he is only 6' but he plays like he is 10' tall.

Preacher
01-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I bet Ward read the original Ed.B. piece on Ben before Ed.B. interviewed him

Of course maybe Ed.B. gave Ward some off the record stuff about how Ben said he thinks Plax is a better receiver than Ward:smile: (just kidding)

Very possible...

and hey, you never know.. "Pssst. Hey, Hines, Ben thinks your a good for nothing smurf! What do you think about that!" click goes the recorder "That Ben...."

Least that is how it is done in the movies!!

I think it is time we wonder how it would happen in MADDEN NFL. After all, that is reality isn't it!

Edman
01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm going to make light of this.

It is neither Hines' nor Ben's fault. It's Willie Parkers fault. He's not 250 pounds and can't get the consistent yards. What a cancer.

NV STEELERS 723
01-25-2008, 08:01 PM

You don't know your audience...at my job in Las Vegas I've met Dermonti, Franco,and Big god send Ben..And Ben has spent more minutes w/ me than you... he's a nice guy.., and all he wants to do is win... Jeremy ,I think you would benefit from taking Zanex or serious counseling...because you are a depressed individual..thats sad..

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 08:05 PM
lol... evryone knows this is being blown out of proportion.. as soon as the camp starts on there mind is football.. hines maybe over-reacted but he knows that ben loves him as a player..

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
You don't know your audience...at my job in Las Vegas I've met Dermonti, Franco,and Big god send Ben..And Ben has spent more minutes w/ me than you... he's a nice guy.., and all he wants to do is win... Jeremy ,I think you would benefit from taking Zanex or serious counseling...because you are a depressed individual..thats sad..

I think you would benefit from keeping your liberal mouth shut about people's personal lives.

****ing Dr Phil wannabe.

steelergirl07
01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Damn. I don't know whats wrong with you, but try to leave insults out of it. It brings down the moral here.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Damn. I don't know whats wrong with you, but try to leave insults out of it. It brings down the moral here.

According to the pimp, I need anti-depressants.

steelergirl07
01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
But you've been saying a lot worse lately. Just chill out. People will respect your opinion if you leave insults out of it.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 08:21 PM
18 pages and counting and becoming more and more amusing....:toofunny:

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 08:23 PM
How about you wait until he's put his money where his mouth is and actually signed that extension.thats ok. i dont need to.

its crystal clear what direction the rooneys and steelers franchise are heading in.

ben will be signed with about as much acrimony as polamalu was. :rolleyes:

how bout you just go on believing ben will not sign an extension because he is a "prick" and because of what he supposedly said to some kid.

i will believe he will sign a deal, with normal negotiations, based on k. colbert calling him a top 5 qb w/ alot of upside, and assuring he and the rooneys understand his market value.

and the whole board can see who is more rational in the end.

agreed? :cheers:

seriously.... #1 draft pick franchise qb's who win a sb, and have the winning % and passer rating of ben dont just slip away in free agency.

it simply doesnt happen in the nfl. do you really think the rooneys are dumb enough to let ben walk as if he were elvis grbac, drew brees, kerry collins, or neil odonnel?

please.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:27 PM
thats ok. i dont need to.

its crystal clear what direction the rooneys and steelers franchise are heading in.

ben will be signed with about as much acrimony as polamalu was. :rolleyes:

how bout you just go on believing ben will not sign an extension because he is a "prick" and because of what he supposedly said to some kid.

i will believe he will sign a deal, with normal negotiations, based on k. colbert calling him a top 5 qb w/ alot of upside, and assuring he and the rooneys understand his market value.

and the whole board can see who is more rational in the end.

agreed? :cheers:

seriously.... #1 draft pick franchise qb's who win a sb, and have the winning % and passer rating of ben dont just slip away in free agency.

it simply doesnt happen in the nfl. do you really think the rooneys are dumb enough to let ben walk as if he were elvis grbac, drew brees, kerry collins, or neil odonnel?

please.

We'll see what happens when he demands $12 million a season.

The Duke
01-25-2008, 08:29 PM

damn, this thread sure has grown

come on guys :chillpill, have a beer :drinkup:

there's more important things like Willie and Bruce trying to ruin the team :rolleyes:

I'm holding judgment till I hear Ben's response to Ward's comments. this guys are professionals, let's give them the benefit of the doubt

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:30 PM

damn, this thread sure has grown

come on guys :chillpill, have a beer :drinkup:

there's more important things like Willie and Bruce trying to ruin the team :rolleyes:

I'm holding judgment till I hear Ben's response to Ward's comments. this guys are professionals, let's give them the benefit of the doubt

I shouldn't drink with my anti-depressants that LVSteeler said I should take.

NV STEELERS 723
01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I think you would benefit from keeping your liberal mouth shut about people's personal lives.

****ing Dr Phil wannabe.

You need serious counseling , and I'm embarrassed as well as the whole country should be that your protecting our freedom..I think its time to take his info down, call the base , and let them know we have a very serious sick person... in fact I will do it myself.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 08:44 PM
You need serious counseling , and I'm embarrassed as well as the whole country should be that your protecting our freedom..I think its time to take his info down, call the base , and let them know we have a very serious sick person... in fact I will do it myself.

Oh my God....what a drama queen we have here.

I guess you don't understand that for some people these message boards are the only release we have for the tensions that build up during the day/week/year.

When I can't get to the gym.....this is the next best thing. But I guess when you have a perfect life like yours you can't understand that sort of thing.

You know what...forget it. No matter what I say, you're never going to get it.

ShutDown24
01-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh my God....what a drama queen we have here.

I guess you don't understand that for some people these message boards are the only release we have for the tensions that build up during the day/week/year.

When I can't get to the gym.....this is the next best thing. But I guess when you have a perfect life like yours you can't understand that sort of thing.

You know what...forget it. No matter what I say, you're never going to get it.

You're avatar is certainly fittng. I think even you know more than Rome though... :toofunny:

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
You're avatar is certainly fittng. I think even you know more than Rome though... :toofunny:

If I can make half the money Rome has made, I'll call myself a successful man.

tony hipchest
01-25-2008, 09:18 PM
We'll see what happens when he demands $12 million a season.honestly, i can see that happening. thats in the range of fair market value if colbert is talking about him as a top 5 qb w/ lots of upside. its only the nature of the business that his new contract equal or exceed the likes of payton, brady, favre, mcnabb, who are all on old deals.

but rest assured, when brady reaches the end of his deal in a year or 2, it will dwarf any nfl contract ever seen (including GS's).

r. goddell will do anything to boost future rating revenues (= increased salary caps) to assure that.

Preacher
01-25-2008, 09:22 PM

NV...

I understand your frustration, but moving from disagreements here to bringing smack about his protection our nation and threatening (facetiously, I know), to go to his superior officers over an online attitude is way over the line IMO. If he threatened to come to your city and look you up, hunt you down, etc, that is one thing. But he hasn't.

However Jeremy, you have to wonder why you keep bringing this kind of stuff out in people.

Really, are you too arrogant or ignorant to care? Or is this board just a playground for you to blow off steam? The first is sad, the second is very understandable, as long as you let others know.

Preacher
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
honestly, i can see that happening. thats in the range of fair market value if colbert is talking about him as a top 5 qb w/ lots of upside. its only the nature of the business that his new contract equal or exceed the likes of payton, brady, favre, mcnabb, who are all on old deals.

but rest assured, when brady reaches the end of his deal in a year or 2, it will dwarf any nfl contract ever seen (including GS's).

r. goddell will do anything to boost future rating revenues (= increased salary caps) to assure that.

Hey... give him a 10 year, 110 million dollar contract, 50-60 guaranteed, I'll be happy with that.

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 09:27 PM
NV...

I understand your frustration, but moving from disagreements here to bringing smack about his protection our nation and threatening (facetiously, I know), to go to his superior officers over an online attitude is way over the line IMO. If he threatened to come to your city and look you up, hunt you down, etc, that is one thing. But he hasn't.

However Jeremy, you have to wonder why you keep bringing this kind of stuff out in people.

Really, are you too arrogant or ignorant to care? Or is this board just a playground for you to blow off steam? The first is sad, the second is very understandable, as long as you let others know.

I've been very honest about this being a place where I come to blow off steam. If some people can't understand that, oh well. This is far more constructive than getting blind drunk the way some of my coworkers do to blow off steam.

BlastFurnace
01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
This board needs a molten steel enema.

touchdownward
01-25-2008, 09:35 PM
This board needs a molten steel enema.
YEEEOUWTCH!!! :jawdrop:

NV STEELERS 723
01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
NV...

Thanks Preach..constructively taken ..He's a loser thats all....Military should keep close tabs on this *******. I'm outta here till my trip to Pittsburgh

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Boys, the bottom line is that Ben Roth is the franchise now. Ward is one helluva player but he shouldn't have made those comments. Ben did not call out his receivers for a lack of size, he is simply suggesting to the Rooney's that we need more weapons. More weapons = explosiveness. We need to assemble a unstoppable group of receivers. After Ward and Holmes, our receivers are at best average. We need to keep up with the other offenses in the league and create mismatches on the defensive side of the ball. A "taller" will give us a distinct advantage on the playing field. Can't agree more with Ben Roth for putting pressure on the Rooneys for a 3rd receiver.

LVSteelersfan
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I shouldn't drink with my anti-depressants that LVSteeler said I should take.

All right. Don't quote me as saying anything like that. I do not hurl insults at people as it is childish and accomplishes nothing. That was a different person who threw that at you .

RoethlisBURGHer
01-26-2008, 12:07 AM
I still don't see where anything Ben said was a problem.

I know Jeremy, you're going to take one look at me screen name and assume that I would blow Ben if given the chance.

However, I still don't get how calling Ward and Holmes "awesome" is a problem. I still don't get how wanting to have a better third option....someone to take some pressure and coverage off of Ward and Holmes (because I have seen teams cover Wilson and Washington with linebackers and suceed)....someone to just throw the ball up to knowing he is tall enough to get that jump ball over the DB...someone to eventually replace an aging and slowly breaking down Hines Ward...I don't see how that's a problem.

Wish List:

1. Keep Alan Faneca: Keep our best and most veteran lineman. I know Faneca hasn't played his best this season, but I think that a lot of that has to do with Mahan being utter trash at center. Mahan kept requiring help, making Faneca try to block two guys isntead of one. If Faneca is gone, then we have to find a new gaurd. We need an upgrade at center and we're going to need a new tackle because we're losing probally two. Why not keep a guy that knows the system and is respected by the entire team?

2. A new contract: He never said a "20% increase on what Tony Romo got" contract. He simply said a new contract. That means he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. I would consider that a very good thing, seeing how there are teams out there that would offer him much more in FA. He likes it in Pittsburgh, he likes his coaches, and he likes his teammates. It took is how long and how many QB's to get us another Lombardi? I would rather keep Ben than have to draft QB in the first round and end up with a Ryan Leaf. He also said that he would do what it took to help the team. Now he is gonna get a big contract, it'll probally be a six or seven year deal. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a contract that's much less restrictive on the team so the Steelers aren't handcuffed later on in the future.

A Tall WR: Like it or not, Ben is the future of this franchise. He's more confortable with a tall wideout, I don't see a problem with that. A guy who we can groom to become a #2 guy when Ward bows out, not a problem. A guy who is more reliable as a #3 WR that Wilson or Washington, not a problem.

Now onto Hines Ward:

If he needs to feel disrespected to be motivated to go through the grind of an NFL season, that's fine. Some people play the best with a chip on their shoulder.

But every single time the Steelers do something that Hines doesn't like, he's in the media with it. When they drafted Edwards, he bitched. When they drafted Plax, he bitched. When the drafted Holmes, he bitched. He looked at it as they were trying to replace Hines Ward. Maybe they were just trying to get someone else to make it less predictable on who the ball is going to? DING! DING! DING!

When Cowher resigned and they hired Mike Tomlin, Ward bitched that it wasn't Whiz or Grimm. When the Steelers released Joey Porter, he bitched. When the Alan Faneca situation came about, he bitched.

It's really rare to see Hines Ward give praise to anyone (well, except Jerome Bettis). He does take responsibility for a dropped pass, a missed block. But I have never heard him take blame when the ball bounces off of his hands and gets picked by a defender. Instead, Ben says he didn't place the ball where it needed to be...and he knows Hines should have caught it or at least kept it from getting picked off. Hines Ward never takes the blame for a loss when he has a bad game. But Ben throws no INT's and a TD or two (a very good game), but at the end he's telling the media it was his fault the team didn't win.

Where is the leader there?

Preacher
01-26-2008, 03:09 AM
I've been very honest about this being a place where I come to blow off steam. If some people can't understand that, oh well. This is far more constructive than getting blind drunk the way some of my coworkers do to blow off steam.

I'll second that. This board is the same for me... though drinking is out (we baptists don't get to use wine!) :sofunny:

HometownGal
01-26-2008, 05:35 AM

Blowing off steam is fine, Jeremy, but continuously insulting and demeaning others because they don't agree with you is not going to be tolerated here. There is a respectful way to disagree without putting others down. You have to understand that when you exhibit these behaviors towards someone, it puts them on the defensive immediately and they fire back, you fire back and it keeps snowballing until we are where we are right now with this thread.

Please - from this point on - if you don't agree with something posted, disagree respectfully and move on instead of fueling the fire even more. It's really a very simple concept!!!!

DaGooseMon
01-26-2008, 07:26 AM
I just lost all, if any, respect for Ed "Bullchette."

He's clearly trying to create the news rather than report. I'd love to read the question Ben was asked when he made those comments. Funny how the question wasn't included in the story...

Jeremy
01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Blowing off steam is fine, Jeremy, but continuously insulting and demeaning others because they don't agree with you is not going to be tolerated here. There is a respectful way to disagree without putting others down. You have to understand that when you exhibit these behaviors towards someone, it puts them on the defensive immediately and they fire back, you fire back and it keeps snowballing until we are where we are right now with this thread.

Please - from this point on - if you don't agree with something posted, disagree respectfully and move on instead of fueling the fire even more. It's really a very simple concept!!!!

That's fine.....as long as the standards are the same for everyone. I'd like the person who made threats against me warned as well.

desertsteel
01-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I love him, but sometimes I think Hines is a girl in a man's body. I mean come on... the crying, the pouting in his hold out, now this... There was no personal attack against him. All QBs want a tall receiver.

Edman
01-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I really don't see why people are jumping on Ben for this.

All he did was make a suggestion to help the offense. A tall WR. Big deal. Insecure Ward cries foul. Ben is now the bad guy prima donna. This bullcrap has already happened before with Ward. He's insecure about competition, he's afraid of the inevitability that he'll get replaced, and he will someday, and that's the way he motivates himself. And you want to know why? He thinks he's the only worthy guy on the Steelers, and that's not true at all. You may hate me for it, but that's what it's all about. Ward likes to be the man. But Ben is the new face of the franchise, and Hines can't handle that. Why do you think he expressed slight dissatisfaction when Tomlin was hired?

This is nothing new with Ward.

DACEB
01-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I just lost all, if any, respect for Ed "Bullchette."

He's clearly trying to create the news rather than report. I'd love to read the question Ben was asked when he made those comments. Funny how the question wasn't included in the story...

This is the biggest problem I have with all of this also. Is this guy stirring the pot or what? We all know EB knows all these guys well, and I'm sure knows how they will react to certain things.

Living in Mass. I can tell you that the local media licks all the Pats nuts. You would never see anything like this. Not only do the Pats have the whole 'in house' thing covered but the media plays right along with their games of 'no respect', 'spygate' and my favorite 'can you believe the Steelers already booked their SB reservations in 2001'.

I just don't understand where EB thought this would all go. I'd like to know what the locals think of EB, to me this guy has some ego.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
This is the biggest problem I have with all of this also. Is this guy stirring the pot or what? We all know EB knows all these guys well, and I'm sure knows how they will react to certain things.

Living in Mass. I can tell you that the local media licks all the Pats nuts. You would never see anything like this. Not only do the Pats have the whole 'in house' thing covered but the media plays right along with their games of 'no respect', 'spygate' and my favorite 'can you believe the Steelers already booked their SB reservations in 2001'.

I just don't understand where EB thought this would all go. I'd like to know what the locals think of EB, to me this guy has some ego.

I do not live in the Burgh but through his reporting it looks as if Ed.B. actually reports on the team rather than issue whatever the party line is and from his online chats that Ed.B. recognizes reporting on the Steelers is not exactly as serious a subject as the war in Iraq - are you saying the Pats reporting by the sychophantic New England media is not only reported differently but better?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
I think that Mahan should be mad because we may draft a center....Colon should be mad because we may draft a Tackle...Simmons should be mad because we may draft a Guard...Smith should be mad because we may draft a Defensive End.

We probably should just tell the Commish that we were taping Defensive plays during 6 different games this last year so that we can forfiet our entire draft...you know, in the hopes of not offending our current players.

Of course we should just ignore Free Agency also.

Steel Pit
01-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I think you'd better settle yourself down there, Jeremy. I don't appreciate your ignorant comments.

I guess I'll just have to agree with you, even though I really don't, because as we all know around here - whatever you say is GOSPEL. :nw:

Put him on ignore Gal, it works for me.

DaGooseMon
01-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I do not live in the Burgh but through his reporting it looks as if Ed.B. actually reports on the team rather than issue whatever the party line is and from his online chats that Ed.B. recognizes reporting on the Steelers is not exactly as serious a subject as the war in Iraq - are you saying the Pats reporting by the sychophantic New England media is not only reported differently but better?

There's a difference in "reporting" the news and "creating" the news. This was all over the local news this morning and even Merril Hodge has commented on it. And this got Ed "Bullchette's" name on TV, which is always what he wants.

Think about it, of course a QB wants a tall receiver the week before the Super Bowl. Both teams playing in the Super Bowl have tall receivers. From that perspective alone, there are 8 different leading questions that "Bullchette" could have asked.

Unfortunately, Ben didn't see it coming and took the bait...

warddj86
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I understand why hines would be mad, but look at the elite teams that have a tall reciever, plus arians would be able to add more in-depth lob plays if they had a tall one.

Patriots-Moss
Colts-Wayne
Giants-Burress
Bears- Mohammed
Jags-Lewis
Saints-Colston
Cowboys-Owens

warddj86
01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I love him, but sometimes I think Hines is a girl in a man's body. I mean come on... the crying, the pouting in his hold out, now this... There was no personal attack against him. All QBs want a tall receiver.

hines is my favorite player, he may be a little overreactive, but you say that hes a girl in a man's body, he sure as hell can block, and he takes so many tough hits and gets up.

Rhee Rhee
01-26-2008, 03:14 PM

REAL men cry :thumbsup:

and besides he'll probably go on smiling about it once the season starts...

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2008, 03:36 PM
There's a difference in "reporting" the news and "creating" the news. This was all over the local news this morning and even Merril Hodge has commented on it. And this got Ed "Bullchette's" name on TV, which is always what he wants.

Think about it, of course a QB wants a tall receiver the week before the Super Bowl. Both teams playing in the Super Bowl have tall receivers. From that perspective alone, there are 8 different leading questions that "Bullchette" could have asked.

Unfortunately, Ben didn't see it coming and took the bait...

Umm - Ben takes a lot of bait based on his comments to the media since 2004 - - do we know if Ed.B. asked Ben would you like a tall receiver or whether that was Ben's own self-initiated comment?

Once Ben made the comment it was appropriate for Ed.B. as a reporter (as opposed to a fan, which is not what he is paid for, wanting to keep everyone happy) to ask the leader of the receiving corps what he thought about Ben wanting a bigger receiver

Bill Clinton describes a position by Obama as a fairy tale, it is fair to ask Obama what he thinks about that

Ben Bernanke states inflation rather than a recession is the primary threat to the economy, it is fair to ask Hank Paulson if he agrees

That is not "creating" the news. If a reporter legitimately can a seek a response on those important issues, it is not inappropriate for a reporter to ask Ward if he agrees with Ben on the less than earth shaking issue of Steeler WR priorities - Ed.B. reports, Ben & Hines decide what that to say to him.

Ben and Ward both could have said no comment - nobody is claiming they were misquoted (yet)

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Ed.B. reports, Ben & Hines decide what that to say to him.

Ben and Ward both could have said no comment - nobody is claiming they were misquoted (yet)

Smartest comment I've heard yet. Refreshing.

paw-n-maul-u
01-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Umm - Ben takes a lot of bait based on his comments to the media since 2004 - - do we know if Ed.B. asked Ben would you like a tall receiver or whether that was Ben's own self-initiated comment?

Once Ben made the comment it was appropriate for Ed.B. as a reporter (as opposed to a fan, which is not what he is paid for, wanting to keep everyone happy) to ask the leader of the receiving corps what he thought about Ben wanting a bigger receiver

Bill Clinton describes a position by Obama as a fairy tale, it is fair to ask Obama what he thinks about that

Ben Bernanke states inflation rather than a recession is the primary threat to the economy, it is fair to ask Hank Paulson if he agrees
That is not "creating" the news. If a reporter legitimately can a seek a response on those important issues, it is not inappropriate for a reporter to ask Ward if he agrees with Ben on the less than earth shaking issue of Steeler WR priorities - Ed.B. reports, Ben & Hines decide what that to say to him.

WTF? how can you possibly compare something like the presidential elections, which is FUELED by bullshit like that, to ben wanting a tall receiver.

This is not reporting the news ... Ed. has nothing else to do with himself now besides player fireman in the dark, sound like a jackass, stir more paint in the dark while he thinks up bullshit, then somehow writes this.

Ben SHOULD want a tall receiver. Wow, a quarter back who wants a tall receiver to throw to, who would have thought?

what a f*cking brilliant question for Ed. to ask anyways, "Uhhh, wellllllllll ... hey ben, I was just uhhh wonderin ifff uhhh .... maybe you'dddddddddddddddddddddd ....

.... OK ILLL JUST SPIT IT OUT!!!!!

..... you want a tall receiver to throw to??"

.... uhhhhhh

... yes, Ed?

Wake me up for the combine. What that sounded like was a scared Ward, who has a HUGE salary cap hit the next two years, and see's his days are numbered.

Oh god, please, don't offend the all mighty blue collar perfect model steeler WARD!?!?

He threw this same bitchfit when we drafted edwards and plax back to back.

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2008, 04:53 PM
It's official, Ed Bouchette is the Anti-Christ....lol.

Wow. Amusing to say the least.

Preacher
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
It's official, Ed Bouchette is the Anti-Christ....lol.

Wow. Amusing to say the least.

Alright... it is time to take this thread beyond the point of no return.

Ed. B. is fascist, he reminds me of Hitler.

paw-n-maul-u
01-26-2008, 04:58 PM
If clinton called obama's position on something a fairy tale?

Did Ben say that Hines was shorter than the average bear or somethin?

I don't think so. If Ben came and said, "Man I wish I wasn't throwing to black and gold smurfs all day ..."

And i mean this could have all been taken out of context anyways. That's what Ed. gets paid to do, create shit for people to read. You don't think he found an ever so clever way to ask this question so that maybe he could actually have something to write about?

Haven't you seen his pompous ass do any of the reporting, how arrogant he is, Even when he posts his "Q&A"'s w/ fans in the press, he always finds some fan ... could be a little kid ... maybe a not so intelligent question, but just comes off as a jackass.

Most of his stuff I enjoy ... And I dont think big ben is some god send. but what a joke article

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2008, 05:47 PM
WTF? how can you possibly compare something like the presidential elections, which is FUELED by bullshit like that, to ben wanting a tall receiver.

This is not reporting the news ... Ed. has nothing else to do with himself now besides player fireman in the dark, sound like a jackass, stir more paint in the dark while he thinks up bullshit, then somehow writes this.

Ben SHOULD want a tall receiver. Wow, a quarter back who wants a tall receiver to throw to, who would have thought?

what a f*cking brilliant question for Ed. to ask anyways, "Uhhh, wellllllllll ... hey ben, I was just uhhh wonderin ifff uhhh .... maybe you'dddddddddddddddddddddd ....

.... OK ILLL JUST SPIT IT OUT!!!!!

..... you want a tall receiver to throw to??"

.... uhhhhhh

... yes, Ed?

Wake me up for the combine. What that sounded like was a scared Ward, who has a HUGE salary cap hit the next two years, and see's his days are numbered.

Oh god, please, don't offend the all mighty blue collar perfect model steeler WARD!?!?

He threw this same bitchfit when we drafted edwards and plax back to back.

Read my next analogy about the economy - a lot of reporting (or for that matter direct and cross-examination in a trial) is asking someone for comments about what someone else said - do you think it is bad journalism to ask someone to respond to a statement (or do you regard asking for any response to a comment bullshit?)

And you do not know WTF Bouchette asked Ben or whether Ben volunteered it on his own. The Steelers out of season draw more interest than the Pirates in-season and Bouchette was doing his job by reporting on something people pay to read read in the P-G (same deal as UGA football here in ATL where 2 players getting busted for underage alcohol use made the news) Bouchette was not out of line at all for his interviews with Ben or Ward.

You are right - wake me for the draft so the responses can be to events rather than posters who decide to take off after other posters

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Not true - unlike Hitler Ed.B. does not root for the Cowboys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJHb9m4ccmQ&feature=related

paw-n-maul-u
01-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Read my next analogy about the economy - a lot of reporting (or for that matter direct and cross-examination in a trial) is asking someone for comments about what someone else said - do you think it is bad journalism to ask someone to respond to a statement (or do you regard asking for any response to a comment bullshit?) Ben says ben likes cocopuffs ... What do YOU think Hines. OH WTF COCO PUFFS, if he wants to eat cocopuffs I don't give a shit, BUT hells bells if you don't think my roses smell.

And you do not know WTF Bouchette asked Ben or whether Ben volunteered it on his own. The Steelers out of season draw more interest than the Pirates in-season and Bouchette was doing his job by reporting on something people pay to read read in the P-G (same deal as UGA football here in ATL where 2 players getting busted for underage alcohol use made the news) Bouchette was not out of line at all for his interviews with Ben or Ward.

You are right - wake me for the draft so the responses can be to events rather than posters who decide to take off after other posters

soooo sorrrrry Dan, u must be quite a legend. I have no beef w/ you, just that both of your brilliant apologies that you probably spent a long time thinking of to sound smart ... don't work.

To each his own, you wanna whipe bouchettes butt ...

I think it's a piece of garbage that was used to stir up some conflict.

But really, you tryin to tell me ben "volunteered" this. gave his old buddy Ed. a call?

It's a joke article. Just like that article about Tomlin taking over his team "digging in" ... that YOU thought was a joke article ... I think this one is.

steel striker
01-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Well it seems to me that Hines may have over reacted to Ben's comments. All Ben ment was it would be nice to have a guy like Plex again. Meaning someone he called throw that jump ball down field to. I still say alot of WR in this league have fraigle mind sets and, anything you say makes them mad. Maybe Ben should have kept his comments private just to management. I guess you have to understand where Hines is coming from and, he pretty much told his whole nfl life that he was not good enough or fast enough to make it in the league. Hines has proven himself year after year but, he need to get over this. can't we all just get along? I think Ben should wish for an upgrade for his oline. Also if there is ever another 3rd and 6 in a playoff game and, they call another qb draw to left he better change that damn play and, throw the ball to Hines! God that play still steams me!

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 06:10 PM
awesome !!! i didn't know there was another bout on the ticket....:popcorn:

steelergirl07
01-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I never thought at the beginning of this thread, this is what would happen. This thread got Jeremy to leave and now a new bout. Ben and Ward have too much power.

LambertIsGod58
01-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I WILL NOT read all 21 pages here...so forgive me. I don't think Ben has any room to be asking for anything with the way he's played. Our defense and our running game is what got us our last title. Not Ben...How about Hines asking for a QB who wears a helmet riding a motorcycle? And for any of you Ben lovers....yeah, I"m not a big Ben fan. I don't hate him or root against him obviously. But I feel like he's only in their to manage the game. At least until this year. Until I feel like he COULD win us games with his arm, I won't be.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
soooo sorrrrry Dan, u must be quite a legend. I have no beef w/ you, just that both of your brilliant apologies that you probably spent a long time thinking of to sound smart ... don't work.

To each his own, you wanna whipe bouchettes butt ...

I think it's a piece of garbage that was used to stir up some conflict.

But really, you tryin to tell me ben "volunteered" this. gave his old buddy Ed. a call?

It's a joke article. Just like that article about Tomlin taking over his team "digging in" ... that YOU thought was a joke article ... I think this one is.

Of course Ben did not call Bouchette - Ben voluntarily gave an interview - he has not denied the quotes

Ward gave an interview - he has not denied the quotes

Reporters interview players - nobody has yet claimed Bouchette made up anything

The difference from the Harris column today is that, unlike Bouchette, Harris just recycled a lot of old news for a cliched opinion - Bouchette got actual comments by doing interviews

And don't flatter yourself with any misimpression that it takes long to draft a rebuttal to your posts:cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2008, 06:50 PM

It's the mustache!!!! Good call.

It has been rumored here in Pittsburgh that Bouchette kidnapped Roethlisberger and waterboarded him in his basement until Ben gave him the answers he wanted for his latest article.

How do you think Ed get's those juicy former coaching staff shots every other month? It's all starting to make sense now. The Adolph Bouchette Conspiracy.

fansince'76
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
This thread got Jeremy to leave....

LMAO! You really think he left? :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
This thread got Jeremy to leave.

It wasn't the thread that caused the problem. :dang:

Preacher
01-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Know why you take 2 baptists fishing with you?

Yeah....

So you can have all the beer.

You know what the difference is between Jews, Presbyterians and Baptists?

Jews and Presbyterians talk to each other in the liquor store!

steelergirl07
01-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Jeremy was definatly the problem. But this thread, with everyone standing up to him, got him to leave.

fansince'76
01-26-2008, 07:41 PM
But this thread, with everyone standing up to him, got him to leave.

Nine times out of ten when someone makes a very public proclamation on a message board to the effect of "Eff you guys, I'm outta here," they're typically back and actively posting inside a week or two (if it even takes that long). Message board psychology 101.

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Nine times out of ten when someone makes a very public proclamation on a message board to the effect of "Eff you guys, I'm outta here," they're typically back and actively posting inside a week or two (if it even takes that long). Message board psychology 101.same thing happens in bars all the time.....:yawn:

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Jeremy was definatly the problem. But this thread, with everyone standing up to him, got him to leave.we are the world....we are the childrennnn...we are the ones to make a...........:whistle:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

steelergirl07
01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Never mind.

Preacher
01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
It sure is nice to see the off-season in full swing.

OneForTheToe
01-26-2008, 08:36 PM
same thing happens in bars all the time.....:yawn:

Amen brother ... if I could tell you the times I shut someone off and were told to "F-off," only to see the same person back the next day as if nothing happened.

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
am i the only one who thinks i'm funny ??? :huh:......:lost:

paw-n-maul-u
01-27-2008, 02:32 AM
You know ... at first ... I got into a pissing match (and I can piss farrrr) with AtlantaDan about how we rate this article on the stupid scale. (that was pretty much this gist of it)

and it seems I was about one of ten million pissing matches within this thread.

Holy jeeeeez I love being a steeler fan. I could talk steelers all day, and always think I'm right.

That's the best part about this board ... and why I come to bicker and bitch all the time

95% of the people on here, are the smartest biggest bestest mostest smartest's (errr) steeler fan(s) here.

what an offseason already. I can't wait till we sign joe shmoe to a practice dummy contract so we can ALL (including me) STFU about ben and hines civil divorce hearings.

what IIIIIIII heard ... was that they had a love child by the name of Whines Prissyberger .... and they couldnt decide on how big of a contract to give the youngest budding star.

Apparently Hines wanted a lot of guaranteed money for the newest asian sensation ...

... and Ben was pissed that he turned out to be a korean midget. ***** apparently he tried to switch his and Hines' baby w/ Yao Ming's/China's (of the WWF
s) 36" 20 lb. 2oz. baby straight out the delivery room.

... the couples fought (insert pablo franciso vs. latino women cat fight noise) ... it was messy ...

paw-n-maul-u
01-27-2008, 02:34 AM
All because that bitch Ben wanted a tall WR.

see what bouchette started?

Big7BenHOF
01-27-2008, 02:41 AM
Hmm...maybe we should clone Hines Ward....BUT

Press the height button three times so he turns out 8'10"

paw-n-maul-u
01-27-2008, 02:42 AM
BTW ... AtownDan ... were you at the falcons-steelers game in 06? .... probably the best steelers game ive ever seen (that we lost) .... I was freaking out in the stands (went down to visit my amigo in the A and scalped some club level seats), but when i got back and watched highlights on sportscenter they made it out as the game of the year to see.

coming from the dirty I'd figure you can't miss out on that one. Walkin into the dome hearing T.I. bumpin from the Caddys in the lot. People sportin Vick jerseys grillin out in the masses talkin' sh*t like the falcons actually have won a SB.

JackHammer
01-27-2008, 03:17 AM
And had become one of the game's most respected players by the end of his career.....but he's not even half the man Big Ben God Send is! Big Ben God Send uses players like Elway to wipe his butt in the morning when he craps out his daily gold nugget!

I'd like to see what one of those nuggets goes for on Ebay.

HometownGal
01-27-2008, 06:53 AM
see what bouchette started?

Get with the program paw-n-maul-u. Bouchette didn't start the ruckus - the thread started it. :wink02: :chicken:

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2008, 07:21 AM
BTW ... AtownDan ... were you at the falcons-steelers game in 06? .... probably the best steelers game ive ever seen (that we lost) .... I was freaking out in the stands (went down to visit my amigo in the A and scalped some club level seats), but when i got back and watched highlights on sportscenter they made it out as the game of the year to see.

coming from the dirty I'd figure you can't miss out on that one. Walkin into the dome hearing T.I. bumpin from the Caddys in the lot. People sportin Vick jerseys grillin out in the masses talkin' sh*t like the falcons actually have won a SB.

Definitely was there - Steelers fans had about 1/4 of the seats but definitely were louder than the Falcons fans in pre-game and in the Dome until the game turned in the second quarter when the Steelers gave up 2 quick TDs after Ben and Hartings screwed up a center snap.

Noteworthy as Vick's last great home game for the Falcons

:cheers:

DaGooseMon
01-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Hines could have said "no comment", sure. That would have been the smart thing to do until he got the straight dope from Ben. But something tells me, Bullchette would have kept pushing...

My point is this, with Bullchette leaving the original question out of the story, that makes me very suspicious. Why not put in the original question? And the fact that he didn't just run the story that Ben would like a tall receiver. He apparently went running to Hines like a 3rd grader trying to start a fight. How else can you explain Hines over-reacting the way he did. It appears to me Hines was pushed in that direction in order to get the reaction he gave. You're smart enough to know how the media is.

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2008, 10:04 AM
My point is this, with Bullchette leaving the original question out of the story, that makes me very suspicious. Why not put in the original question? And the fact that he didn't just run the story that Ben would like a tall receiver. He apparently went running to Hines like a 3rd grader trying to start a fight. How else can you explain Hines over-reacting the way he did. It appears to me Hines was pushed in that direction in order to get the reaction he gave. You're smart enough to know how the media is.

Part of reporting and editing is that you do not just print the transcript of your notes; that goes as much for sports reporting as the political and business sections of the paper.

The assumption is the reporter will not misreport what the subject of the interview says - If Ben thought something was taken out of context he could have said something by now. Same goes for Ward. Not a peep out of either one about the quotes attributed to them, which would appear to indicate the quotes were both accurate and not taken out of context. Given that Ben has been pining for a Plax type receiver for years this is not exactly something new from him, nor is Ward providing a hair trigger response to any perceived diss.

As far as Ward amnd/or Ben being tricked by mean ol' Ed.B., it does not take much of a push to get Ward or Ben to pop off.

As I posted before, this is an offseason story - Ben & Ward will continue to do business together and the Steelers front office will not let bBn dictate which holes are filled first - a big WR Is way down the line with the needs this team has on both lines.

The next off season tempest will be when the vets are asked to comment on Faneca's departure when he signs elsewhere in March.

lilyoder6
01-27-2008, 10:26 AM
he's prob bored and wanted to talk to the media... the realtionship between ben and hines will not change for the worse but for the better

shevdog
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Ha! The press making some drama... Retarded drama if you ask me.

Ben has a good mix of WR's. Why isn't he asking for a better O-line which is what he needs. If he has a bit more times on the throws he has a wide array of targets.

As for Ward, I don't blame him for getting a little upset. I just hope that he recovers from that injury 100%. Ward is a tough WR, where his blocking out there has made a big difference over the years. My only issue with Ward is that he hasn't caught smoe balls he normally does. Not a lot of plays. Not sure if those were bad throws by Ben or what? Overall Ward is great.

Enough whinning and let's get this team in gear for Super Bowl XLIII!

FourThreeMafia
01-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Whines Hard, I mean Hines Ward needs to stop acting like a pansy.

Ben didnt throw any of the recievers under the bus. He just said he'd like a tall WR...not to replace Ward, not that he wanted Ward gone, just a tall WR. Seriously, what is wrong with that?

Hines just needs to shut up once in awhile and let things go. This should be a non issue.

fansince'76
01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I see the news has made Yahoo's front page now. No, this hasn't been blown out of proportion by the media, not at all. :coffee:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Screenshot1.jpg

The Duke
01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
:dang:

bouchette must be smiling right now