PDA

View Full Version : Davis Tells Kiffin To Resign - Kiffin Says No

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Raiders owner Al Davis sent a letter to Lane Kiffin recently asking for the coach to resign, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Kiffin has refused to resign, he told Mortensen.

The Raiders finished 4-12 in Kiffin's first season as coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3214665

The Raiders are like a failed Third World country run by a senile despot.

No hope for that franchise until Oakland Al dies:dang:

Jeremy
01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Al Davis is a moron....plain and simple.

atrus20
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
What ever happened to giving a coach a few years to develop the players? Everyone is all about win now or get fired. You would think that someone who has been in the league as long as Davis has would know this.

ShutDown24
01-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I thought Kiffin did a fairly good job with what he was given. This probably comes from the fact that Davis wanted him to play Russell more and Kiffin didn't... If the Raiders let him go I think they are making a mistake.

The Duke
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM

definitely

what is it that al davis want anyway? raiders aren't gonna be going to the super bowl any time soon, so what does he want with this team, to actually screw it up a be hated by the their fans?

I admire kiffin refusing, but in the end I think Al is just gonna fire him

This probably comes from the fact that Davis wanted him to play Russell more and Kiffin didn't...

that franchise is more of a joke if a single disagreement like that makes this happen

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
What ever happened to giving a coach a few years to develop the players? Everyone is all about win now or get fired. You would think that someone who has been in the league as long as Davis has would know this.

Ask Cam Cameron. He knows a lot by that. :coffee:

Preacher
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
If they had to go to Kiffin this year... and everyone is ALREADY jockeying for position for next year... Just who does Al Davis think he will get?

It is about time for the players to simply walk out of the organization... or for the NFL FO to step in.

MasterOfPuppets
01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
i have know idea why ANYONE would take a job from that crazy old man. he's turned that once proud organization into a freakin joke. if i were a raider fan,i'd boycott till he dropped dead. eventually crazy AL will be looking at the unemployment office for a coach.

lilyoder6
01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
i know b/c it looks like if u don't do good ur out in 1 yr,,

Edman
01-25-2008, 06:27 PM
What's the point? Kiffin will just get fired eventually.

It's a sad state of affairs in Oakland, and it won't change until Al dies.

Steeler in Carolina
01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Al Davis is a moron.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I read this at work and was dumbfounded.

Does Al realize that the Oakland job is less desirable than Miami and Atlanta were?

Get rid of Kiffin, who I think can turn the team around...and you won't have a coach in 2008. Al will be on the sidelines with his walker coaching the team himself. Right know, Oakland is a coaching graveyard. I don't think anyone is that desperate to be a HC that they would touch the Raiders with a 39 foot pole.

The again, since it seems to be if you don't do what Al wants you get fired........maybe he should just coach the damn team himself.

Rhee Rhee
01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
The Raiders are like a failed Third World country run by a senile despot.

well put... very well put...

they have talent its just al davis has no idea how to use or get coaches to use the talent they have...

silver & black
01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I wish I could come in here and refute everything all of you said... but I can't.

The story we are being fed is that Kiffin somehow breached his contract, and that is why Al wants him to resign. Another scenario is that Kiffin went over Al's head and fired Rob Ryan at the end of the season... which Al vetoed.

It is surmised that Al wants Kiffin to resign because if he fires him he owes him $4 million. If he resigns, he is owed nothing.

You think you are being hard on Al (I know you don't)... you should be on any Raiders forum right now. This is the straw that will finally divide the Raider Nation. Although, it seems like 98% of us are in agreement... Al Davis needs to step down, or the league needs to step in and save this franchise. I don't know how much longer the league will allow this fiasco to go on before they come to the realization that something needs to be done... even if the league as a collective hates the Raiders. This is not good for the NFL..................... and certainly not good for long time fans like myself. This is killing me!

If ther Raiders become an obsolete franchise, I will just give up on the NFL entirely... I could never root for another team after supporting the Raiders for 40 years. I think I'm going to go back to drinking now.

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I wish I could come in here and refute everything all of you said... but I can't.

The story we are being fed is that Kiffin somehow breached his contract, and that is why Al wants him to resign. Another scenario is that Kiffin went over Al's head and fired Rob Ryan at the end of the season... which Al vetoed.

It is surmised that Al wants Kiffin to resign because if he fires him he owes him $4 million. If he resigns, he is owed nothing.

You think you are being hard on Al (I know you don't)... you should be on any Raiders forum right now. This is the straw that will finally divide the Raider Nation. Although, it seems like 98% of us are in agreement... Al Davis needs to step down, or the league needs to step in and save this franchise. I don't know how much longer the league will allow this fiasco to go on before they come to the realization that something needs to be done... even if the league as a collective hates the Raiders. This is not good for the NFL..................... and certainly not good for long time fans like myself. This is killing me!

If ther Raiders become an obsolete franchise, I will just give up on the NFL entirely... I could never root for another team after supporting the Raiders for 40 years. I think I'm going to go back to drinking now.i could care less that the raiders suck, but it bothers that they suck ,and will continue to suck, because some senile crazy old man, seems to do everything he can to make sure they suck !!! it was fun for a few years laughing at crazy Als decisions, but its getting way out of hand, that goofy old bastard has completly taken the fun out of raggin on raider fans...:jawdrop:

fansince'76
01-26-2008, 08:25 PM

If ther Raiders become an obsolete franchise, I will just give up on the NFL entirely... I could never root for another team after supporting the Raiders for 40 years. I think I'm going to go back to drinking now.

S&B, is that what the post below was all about? I've been curious about this ever since you wrote it:

I really can't say anything about anything at this time.

I am obligated to keep my mouth shut... for now.

I will let you know what I know when I can... if there is even any truth to it.

I am doing a bit of drinking right now... as I'm sure a lot of other Raider fans are too that have the info I have. :banging:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=338843#post338843

Godfather
01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
I read this at work and was dumbfounded.

Does Al realize that the Oakland job is less desirable than Miami and Atlanta were?

Get rid of Kiffin, who I think can turn the team around...and you won't have a coach in 2008. Al will be on the sidelines with his walker coaching the team himself. Right know, Oakland is a coaching graveyard. I don't think anyone is that desperate to be a HC that they would touch the Raiders with a 39 foot pole.

I'll take the job. My experience includes playing NFL Head Coach. And I'll stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before each game.

I'll do it for $1M a year (cheap for a coach) and live at the team facility. Then if he fires me at the end of 2008, I can buy a nice house on the Gulf Coast.

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I'll take the job. My experience includes playing NFL Head Coach. And I'll stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before each game.

I'll do it for $1M a year (cheap for a coach) and live at the team facility. Then if he fires me at the end of 2008, I can buy a nice house on the Gulf Coast.your over qualified.....:flap:

Edman
01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Al Davis is the staple of the Raiders franchise and pioneer in the NFL, but there comes a time when those good times end. The good times for the Raiders are over. VERY over.

Al, I'm sure your services will be appreciated, but it's time to step down, man.

The Raiders pride themselves on a "commitment to excellence" mantra. But Al seems to have forgetten that the commitment comes before the excellence. Firing coaches after one year is not commitment.

silver & black
01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
S&B, is that what the post below was all about? I've been curious about this ever since you wrote it:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=338843#post338843

Yes, it was. It was posted in our premium forum by our insider that works for the Raiders. He said that Kiffin would definitely not be the coach in 2008, and that Ryan was probably gone also.

He also reported that Davis was in touch with Jery Jones about getting Kiffin the head coaching gig at Arkansas. So, the notion that that is the reason for wanting Kiffin gone is out the window... although I'm sure Al will spin it another way.

I guess I'm going to find out how it must have been to be a Browns or Bengals fan for all those years. Oh well... I'll just keep rockin my colors and hope for the best... what else can a fan do?

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
what else can a fan do?
follow the yellow brick road.....:chuckle:

silver & black
01-26-2008, 09:16 PM
:follow the yellow brick road.....:chuckle:

Lol... thanks! :sofunny:

silver & black
01-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Well, I just checked in on my board. Our insider just confirmed that Al aked Kiffin to resign, and Kiffin refuses to do it. He expects to be fired when he returns from Alabama.

Al told Kiffin that he was stripped of all coaching personel decisions, all draft decisions, stripped of all decisions period. Kiffin told him "fine, you still owe me 2 years".

It should be real interesteing to see who the old man can convince to come in and bend way over. I can't even explain the depth of my disgust right now.

I'll probably get banned from my own forum for posting this here, if someone sees it... but I really don't give a damn anymore.

revefsreleets
01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Eh, Kiffin should just wait a day or two...old senile Al will forget all about this decision. Smart play by Lane, by the way...force the issue. Davis is 99 beers short of "100 beers on the wall" and it's about time someone stood up to that paranoid little senile freak.

fansince'76
01-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I'll probably get banned from my own forum for posting this here, if someone sees it... but I really don't give a damn anymore.

I don't see why, S&B - it's not exactly a big secret anymore if ESPN got ahold of it. :hunch:

CASTEEL
01-28-2008, 01:07 AM

Old Al might feel he doesn't have a few years left in 'em...Wants to hold that shiny silver trophy one more time before he sees the shiny golden gates .... :wink02: (that's if he makes it to those golden gates.... cough cough)

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
i would fire him after that stupid decision to go for it one 4th and 1 when he could of taken a Field goal and be up by 9 points.. but he decides to go for it and doesn't get it and the south comes back and wins... lol

if al wants a new HC and doesn't want to fire lane i would demote him and then sign a new HC.. but i personally think they should keep him even tho what i said in the above paragraph... he's a good coach with a horrible but getting better team

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Interesting take on the story here:

Raiders’ Davis, Kiffin have clashed from start
Owner hoping to make coach so miserable he'll quit
By Ira Miller
The Sports XChange
updated 10:56 a.m. ET, Sun., Jan. 27, 2008

The problems between Raiders coach Lane Kiffin and team owner Al Davis, which have flared into open warfare between the two, date almost back to the day when Kiffin was hired a year ago, according to a team source.

As a young, first-time head coach, Kiffin was so eager for the job that he took Davis' word on his responsibilities, and did not get them in writing, a mistake that former Raiders coaches could have warned him about.

Even Kiffin's predecessor, Art Shell, a long-time Davis favorite, was spared further indignity after he was fired because his contract language protected him. Davis wanted Shell to work out his contract as the team's offensive line coach, but language in Shell's contract specifically outlined his duties as the head coach.

Davis had to pay Shell off.

Now, Davis is trying to avoid paying off Kiffin, so he is trying to make his coach so miserable that he will quit after just one season. Although published reports say Kiffin has two years at $2 million a year remaining on his contract, a team source with knowledge of the contract said there is only one year remaining at $1.7 million. The third year of the deal is at the team's option and is not guaranteed.

"Al never has signed a new coach to a (guaranteed) three-year deal," the source said. "Even Jon Gruden had a two-year contract at first; then he got a three-year deal the next time."

In the latest volley, Davis essentially has ostracized Kiffin from all meetings and planning sessions having to do with Raiders personnel, and has refused to allow Kiffin to decide the makeup of his coaching staff. Kiffin thought he had some of those responsibilities when he was hired, but they were not included in the contract.

The Raiders' source said, simply, "Al doesn't do that."

Although the bomb that set the most recent developments in motion was Kiffin's attempt to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, Kiffin and Davis began clashing on staff makeup a year ago over a contract for Mark Jackson, Kiffin's top administrative aide.

Jackson got neither the money nor the length of agreement that Kiffin thought Davis had agreed to. By mid-season, Davis essentially had Jackson moved out of his office in the personnel department and rendered him a non-person.

On draft day, as has been reported, Kiffin stood up to Davis and convinced him to trade Randy Moss, who had done nothing in two years with Oakland. Kiffin also was lukewarm on top draft pick JaMarcus Russell, a quarterback Kiffin did not believe fit his offensive style.

When Russell didn't play until late in the season and then played poorly, Davis blamed Kiffin, although Davis had been warned before drafting Russell to expect a protracted contract negotiation that would inhibit Russell's progress. That's exactly what happened, and Russell missed all of training camp.

In season-ending meetings with his staff, Kiffin fired Ryan, whose defense slid from No. 3 in the NFL, based on yards allowed, in 2006, to No. 22 in 2007. Ryan went to Davis to thank him for the time he spent in Oakland and Davis blew up, telling Ryan that Kiffin had no authority to fire him. As a result, Ryan remains on the staff.

Kiffin also wanted to fire about five other assistant coaches whom he had hired. Davis refused to allow that to happen because he did not want to pay off the year all of them had remaining on their contracts.

Davis became further enraged during the playoffs when Norv Turner, the Oakland coach in 2004-05, took San Diego to the AFC Championship Game and Moss helped New England reach the Super Bowl.

Now, apparently Davis has reached out to former Vikings and Cardinals coach Dennis Green as a replacement whenever Kiffin either resigns or is fired. It's difficult to see how that pairing would work, either, because Green both is independent-minded and has a resume that means he wouldn't come cheap, always a requirement for a Davis coach.

Green presumably also would want to put his own staff together, something that was at the crux of the battle between Davis and Kiffin.

Oakland has not had a winning season since Bill Callahan succeeded Gruden for the 2002 season and led the team to the Super Bowl. Callahan was fired a year later after going 4-12. Over the last five seasons, the Raiders have had a record as good as 5-11 only once, and their overall record, 19-61, is by far the worst in the NFL.

Kiffin was the team's fourth coach since Gruden, following Callahan, Turner and Shell. The Raiders have had seven coaches since returning from Los Angeles to Oakland for the 1995 season, and only Gruden lasted longer than two years.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22865702/

Not good news for Kiffin that in his youth and inexperience, he didn't get everything in writing....not when you're dealing with a nutcase whack job like Al Davis. If Kiffin is fired, he'd better promptly fire his agent and attorney, the two folks who led him down this primrose path.

And how about that time-honored passive-aggressive trick of making the other person so miserable that they'll eventually leave and think it was their own idea? When I think of the number of men I dated in my single days who fit that description...it boggles the mind.

But Dennis Green???????? Are you KIDDING? Well, at least he'll get to recycle "they are who thought they were" when Al Davis fires [I]him after yet another miserable season.

Can't someone in the Raiders organization stage a coup or something????

Steelerfreak58
01-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Having to live 90 miles from Oakland I absolutely love the fact that the Raiders are in such an abysmal downfall its just pure heaven.

memphissteelergirl
01-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Just went to a Raiders' fan site just to see what fans were saying....the general consensus is that Davis is WAY past his "sell-by" date and needs to step down and let-as one Raider fan put it-give the operations over to "somebody who gives a damn." One fan suggested even returning season tickets, stop buying Raiders' gear..the whole nine yards. Another said he wasn't going to "line d*ckhead's pockets anymore."

Needless to say....they're more than a little p*ssed right now.

silver & black
01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't see why, S&B - it's not exactly a big secret anymore if ESPN got ahold of it. :hunch:

The reason is because our insider posted this info on the pemium forum, which we pay for. All info posted there is considered confidential. Its like Vegas... what is posted in premium, stays in premium. I doubt anything would come of it though, because like you said... the media already has it. Our insider just confirmed it.

silver & black
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Old Al might feel he doesn't have a few years left in 'em...Wants to hold that shiny silver trophy one more time before he sees the shiny golden gates .... :wink02: (that's if he makes it to those golden gates.... cough cough)

Actually, he has stated he wants 2 more before he will retire. Too bad he can't see that the best chance he has of that is to turn it over now.

silver & black
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
i would fire him after that stupid decision to go for it one 4th and 1 when he could of taken a Field goal and be up by 9 points.. but he decides to go for it and doesn't get it and the south comes back and wins... lol

if al wants a new HC and doesn't want to fire lane i would demote him and then sign a new HC.. but i personally think they should keep him even tho what i said in the above paragraph... he's a good coach with a horrible but getting better team

Are you serious?! You would fire a coach because of a decision he made while coaching an All Star college game, that is only for talent evaluation, and entertainment value? He did the entertaining thing... he went for it... who cares!?

silver & black
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Just went to a Raiders' fan site just to see what fans were saying....the general consensus is that Davis is WAY past his "sell-by" date and needs to step down and let-as one Raider fan put it-give the operations over to "somebody who gives a damn." One fan suggested even returning season tickets, stop buying Raiders' gear..the whole nine yards. Another said he wasn't going to "line d*ckhead's pockets anymore."

Needless to say....they're more than a little p*ssed right now.

And thats putting it kindly! Like I said... this one is going to divde Raider Nation big time!

silver & black
01-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Having to live 90 miles from Oakland I absolutely love the fact that the Raiders are in such an abysmal downfall its just pure heaven.

I can understand your feelings, but, on a serious note... do you think the Raiders being in such dire straights, and being one of the all time storied franchises in NFL history, is good for the league?

memphissteelergirl
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I can understand your feelings, but, on a serious note... do you think the Raiders being in such dire straights, and being one of the all time storied franchises in NFL history, is good for the league?

I hear ya, S&B....heaven knows my dislike of the Raiders goes back many years, but I agree that something has to be done about the slipshod management there or the team is doomed...and that would indeed be a shame for the league.

Counselor
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM

No, its sad, but there is only so much the league can do. He owns the team, and he's had a history of causing strife among the owners and not allowing the league to force him into much of anything --- even to the point of sueing the league. (Read Dan Rooney's book---he makes it clear that he and Al Davis have gotten into it a lot over the years.)

I hate to say it, but the team is just going to have to weather the storm---the good news is the team won't die---Davis would never let that happen. the bad news is he won't sell it either. But hey look on the bright side, you're only looking at less than a decade of bad teams----those of us in Pittsburgh are well on our way to two decades with the Pirates :wink02:

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Are you serious?! You would fire a coach because of a decision he made while coaching an All Star college game, that is only for talent evaluation, and entertainment value? He did the entertaining thing... he went for it... who cares!?

if u would kep on reading my post.. i laughed at the whole thing and said that i would KEEP him b/c he is a good coach with decent team trying to get better.. u should read the whole post b4 u start ur reply.. :)

silver & black
01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
if u would kep on reading my post.. i laughed at the whole thing and said that i would KEEP him b/c he is a good coach with decent team trying to get better.. u should read the whole post b4 u start ur reply.. :)

I did read the whole post. I disagree that we should keep him. It has come to light that he had secret meetings with Arkansas as early as 12 games into the season... not something you want to hear about a new, young coach that is getting $2 million a year to COACH THE RAIDERS.

Al Davis is a lot of things... loyal to a fault is one of them. You can bet that didn't sit too well with him.

Going over your superior's head to fire someone doesn't cut it either. It may well be that Al would have agreed with Kiffin on the firing of Rob Ryan... if Kiffin would have come to him and discussed it with him. He was told at the beginning that his power on hiring and firing was limited to his offensive staff... defense is strictly Al's baby... right or wrong, thats how it is.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kiffin, and I think he would have been a pretty good coach after he gained some experience, but, he seemed to think he could just do as he pleased. I don't know ANY owner that gives ANY coach free latitude to hire and fire at will, without at least consulting them.

silver & black
01-28-2008, 06:51 PM
This was posted by one our members at RF.net... it couldn't be more true. :sofunny:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a Raider fan right now is like marrying a hot chick that got fat.

We're frickin stuck with the fat bitch, no matter how you look at it. We can't just divorce her, she's all we know. She's the father of our children, plus she popped our cherry.

But damn, she's really done a number to herself. She's ballooned recently, we hoped she could get back to the glory days when she turned heads at the supermarket. She got a gym membership last year and we thought things would turn around. She lost a roll n a half in the summer, found out turkey burgers didn't taste that bad, and stopped supersizing completely. She was on her way!

But when the holidays rolled around, she couldn't take it and lost control. Now she's in the worst shape of her life, with an extra chin and a camel toe so fat it looks like it was stung by a swarm of bees.

Poor us.

tony hipchest
01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
:toofunny:

well i feel for ya S&B, if only because any franchise should feel proud to have a representative such as yourself.

i hear ryan was promoted asst HC. does this push kiffin further out the door?

silver & black
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
:toofunny:

well i feel for ya S&B, if only because any franchise should feel proud to have a representative such as yourself.

i hear ryan was promoted asst HC. does this push kiffin further out the door?

I couldn't tell you... you know as much as I do, at this point.

If Kiffin ends up staying, I'll be shocked. There are so many stories and rumors out there right now, its hard to know what to believe.

The best scenario would be that this is all just a bunch of BS fabricated by the media... but our own insider said this was going to go down like this a month ago. Nothing to do but wait and see.

MasterOfPuppets
01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
This was posted by one our members at RF.net... it couldn't be more true. :sofunny:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a Raider fan right now is like marrying a hot chick that got fat.

We're frickin stuck with the fat bitch, no matter how you look at it. We can't just divorce her, she's all we know. She's the father of our children, plus she popped our cherry.

But damn, she's really done a number to herself. She's ballooned recently, we hoped she could get back to the glory days when she turned heads at the supermarket. She got a gym membership last year and we thought things would turn around. She lost a roll n a half in the summer, found out turkey burgers didn't taste that bad, and stopped supersizing completely. She was on her way!

But when the holidays rolled around, she couldn't take it and lost control. Now she's in the worst shape of her life, with an extra chin and a camel toe so fat it looks like it was stung by a swarm of bees.

Poor us.::toofunny:.....that there's funny stuff !!!.....

but this is....somewhat....disturbing
She's the father of our children, plus she popped our cherry.

Godfather
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
::toofunny:.....that there's funny stuff !!!.....

but this is....somewhat....disturbing
She's the father of our children, plus she popped our cherry.

Obviously someone got the two sides of the Golden Gate Bridge confused.

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
all u need is LIPO.... then she would be back to greatness.. with a player like mcfadden and some other good picks in the draft and i didn't know about the whole ark thing with kiffin... if i would of knew that then yes i would cut him.. i mean how can u trust ur organization with a coach who is talking to other teams during a season.. (bobby petrino)

fansince'76
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM

S&B, this is a Steelers board - I've seen it hinted at more than once that Tomlin should basically get the boot because he doesn't give slobberbaths to players ala Cowher when they screw up. :rolleyes: