PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Boise State QB Zabransky coming to Steelers.

Edman
01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/276828.html

This is sorta interesting.

Can we finally say goodbye to BSP?

The Duke
01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
he must be better than StPierre

I would like this signing, and after Batch retires he could be the #2 QB

jjpro11
01-27-2008, 02:54 PM
it will be cool i guess to see him at camp. he will always be remembered for the boise st-oklahoma game.

ShutDown24
01-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Sweet, Bewns replacement? HAHA j/k

MDSteel15
01-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Not bad. He's obviously a smart guy from when he was at BSU and the complexity of their offense. I like this pick up. Bye St. Poopie.....

Rhee Rhee
01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
this guy is OK... idk if he'll make the team... if he can't beat out a guy named shayne boyd to be the 3rd string QB on the texans i don't think he'll beat Brian st. pierre.... no matter how bad BSP is...

19ward86
01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
i was wondering when this guy would pop up again, next thing u know it omar jacobs will be somewhere starting,JK. i love the signing, ben=great, charlie=solid, st peirre=yeah??, jarad=statue of liberty.

BigBen403
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Seems like a low risk low investment with a good upside if it works out, BSP hasnt really done anything, but maybe'll we'll find a diamond in the rough to replace CB when he retires.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Sweet, Bewns replacement? HAHA j/k

I think your mean about Omar Jacobs.:flap:

Dylan
01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
that's awesome, i wanted us to sign him as an undrafted free agent last year. none of u might be overly excited but i am

Steelman16
01-28-2008, 12:57 AM
I like this glad. Hopefully he can give BSP the boot outta camp. :wink02:

Steel Pit
01-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Hopefully he works out, it won't take a whole hell of a lot to replace Batch or St. Pierre.

I don't hold his release from the Texans against him because we all know that the Texans don't know $hit about QB's.

Galax Steeler
01-28-2008, 03:49 AM
I don't know much about him but he would have to be an upgrade from bsp.

steelersfanman92
01-28-2008, 04:35 AM
he knows how to win, and anyone is better than bsp

alittlejazzbird
01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Should we take bets on how long it will be until Ed Bouchette writes in the Post-Gazette, "Big Ben 'blindsided' by Steelers' signing of QB?"

I can imagine it now...Ed quotes a "tremulous" Ben as saying "I don't know....after all I've been to this team, I really can't understand why they think I can't be the guy of the future. Obviously they feel the need to keep bringing in quarterbacks to compete for my job. I really don't have anything to say to Tomlin or the Rooneys. Wow....that's all I can say....wow."

:wink02: Sorry, I just couldn't resist it.

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
jared was a bears.. and then cut and he declined the offer from the texans... i think the bears should of kept him with rex suckling and greise older than dirt...

Steeldude
01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
the guy can also throw a potato 80 yards. a comment he made in an ESPN interview.

here is a short interview with zabransky. he doesn't mention the potato in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0ZWNT_W6E

klick81
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a low risk pick up as someone mentioned, but he's got a HUUUUGE ego from what I've read. In the video posted above, you can tell that's true by some of the little comments by his coach and even himself.

Hopefully he's been humbled by his NFL experience thus far...otherwise, to the curb!

Steelerfreak58
01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Never bad to bring in new blood and shake things up a bit. I love Charlie as the back up QB but he is getting up there in age and BSP needs to be challenged for the third spot.

Dino 6 Rings
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder if he likes throwing to tall receivers...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a low risk pick up as someone mentioned, but he's got a HUUUUGE ego from what I've read. In the video posted above, you can tell that's true by some of the little comments by his coach and even himself.

Hopefully he's been humbled by his NFL experience thus far...otherwise, to the curb!

I would rather have him over-confident that unsure of himself.

lilyoder6
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
jared has to be better than BSP... get him in rythm with the off and could possibly be the next back up for ben when charlie leaves via FA or retiement

Dynasty
01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
in some ways it's good for a quarterback to be an over-confident *******... it's called being a gunslinger

Galax Steeler
01-29-2008, 03:33 AM
I just woner how much longer batch is going to hang around with him getting up in age and some young blood coming in.

Steel Pit
01-29-2008, 04:26 AM
I just woner how much longer batch is going to hang around with him getting up in age and some young blood coming in.

Batch is home playing for his hometown Steelers. He's not going to leave until he's absolutely shown the door which may be 3 years from now.

Elvis
01-29-2008, 05:08 AM
As well as Batch has performed here in Pittsburgh when he gets the chance, he is not a big time starter. And I dont really see that many teams giving him the chance at being a starter right now at this time in his career.
I know if I had a team built around defense and a stout rushing attack I wouldnt mind at all him being on my team.
:coffee:

klick81
01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Batch threw an interception while I was playing Madden online yesterday. I say the Rooneys kick him to the curb NOW!!!

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
lol...when i play madden online and ben gets hurt.. i just run the ball or do screens..

Haiku_Dirtt
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/276828.html

This is sorta interesting.

Can we finally say goodbye to BSP?

He's been trying to say goodbye for years. He's the unwanted girlfriend that looks better when she's walking out the door.

IDSteeler
01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
-Z- As Boise State fans call him, is one hell of an athlete. He ran the fastest 40 among QB's at last years combine. He can move, make some plays and he's a winner. I think he'll make a much better scout team QB than St. P.

BSU
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I am looking forward to watching Z compete at this level. He was a true competitor while at BSU. He is a winner. He has wheels as well. He was the fastest QB at the NFL combine this past year. I think the reason he was not drafted was his attitude. He is arrogant. After he was on the cover of EA sports college football game, his head nearly exploded. I hope not being drafted and not making the team with the Texans will change that.

He is a great QB. He can play the game, he is intelligent, and he is a gun slinger. He can spread the ball like no bodies business. If the out side is open, he will pick up 5 yards just beating the DE to the corner.

I think you will love this kid.

Rhee Rhee
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
I am looking forward to watching Z compete at this level. He was a true competitor while at BSU. He is a winner. He has wheels as well. He was the fastest QB at the NFL combine this past year. I think the reason he was not drafted was his attitude. He is arrogant. After he was on the cover of EA sports college football game, his head nearly exploded. I hope not being drafted and not making the team with the Texans will change that.

He is a great QB. He can play the game, he is intelligent, and he is a gun slinger. He can spread the ball like no bodies business. If the out side is open, he will pick up 5 yards just beating the DE to the corner.

confidence is a GREAT thing and if his head nearly exploded that's good!!! BUT if the plays sucks then i dont want him anywhere near the steelers...

Tony19
02-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Holy s***!

I signed Jared Zabransky on Madden as my backup, and what do the Steelers do a month later? Sign him! I should be the GM!

(Dumb story, but worth reporting)

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Holy s***!

I signed Jared Zabransky on Madden as my backup, and what do the Steelers do a month later? Sign him! I should be the GM!

Dude, do me a favor on your Madden...trade Cedric Wilson and a 5th round pick in 2012 to the Rams for Stephen Jackson...

Yeah..that would be great!

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Steelers, Zabransky match miracles
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 22, 2008

When the Steelers signed former Boise State quarterback Jared Zabransky earlier this month, some people had to be thinking, "Hey, isn't that the guy who ... "
Yup, that's him.

The guy who beat Oklahoma on a behind-the-back handoff in the Fiesta Bowl two years ago.

The guy who started the impossible play that sent the game into overtime.

The guy who graces the cover of EA Sports' insanely popular video game "NCAA Football O8."

Let's start with the Fiesta Bowl, which produced one of the great finishes in sports history -- better than Cal's band-on-the-field victory over Stanford, because we're not talking about just one incredible play.

We're talking about three: the 50-yard hook-and-lateral on fourth-and-18 to tie the score with seven seconds left; the fourth-down option pass (from a receiver to a tight end) to pull Boise State within a point in overtime; and the fake-pass-with-the-right-hand, behind-the-back-handoff-with-the-left, Statue of Liberty play to win it.

Maybe fate decided that Zabransky, after a year as an undrafted free agent on the Houston Texans' practice squad, should join the franchise famous for the Immaculate Reception.

Incidentally, both those plays - Boise State's "Statue Left" and the Immaculate Reception - are among ESPN's final eight in its "Greatest Highlight" competition. "Statue Left" goes head-to-head with Cal's crazy kick return in the next round.

"If we make it past that, I think we have a pretty good shot," Zabransky said with a laugh during a phone interview Friday from Houston, where his fiancee lives.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a goat-turned-hero tale quite like Zabransky's against Oklahoma. With 62 seconds left in regulation, he threw a horrendous sideline interception that was returned 33 yards for a tie-breaking touchdown and a 35-28 Oklahoma lead.

Several heart-stopping plays later, Boise State had an unforgettable victory - but it didn't end there. Tailback Ian Johnson, who'd scored the winning points, dropped to his knees in the end zone and proposed to his girlfriend, and Zabransky wound up on the "NCAA 08" cover, beating out LSU's JaMarcus Russell.

Nobody has to tell Zabransky that if he didn't make up for his pick, EA Sports wouldn't have called.

"I would have been on the cover of something," he says, "and it probably wouldn't have been good."

Zabransky's agent, Monroeville native Eric Metz, remembers Zabransky's reaction when told how much the "NCAA 08" cover gig was worth (a little more than $40,000, according to Zabransky).

"He said, 'I'd pay that to be on the cover,' " Metz said.

The Steelers presented a good opportunity for Zabransky because coach Mike Tomlin likes to keep three quarterbacks, and last year's No. 3, Brian St. Pierre, was not re-signed.

"They showed a lot of interest, and I had a good workout," Zabransky said. "I can create a lot with my feet, which helps. They said they'd like to have a different kind of guy in the wings."

Spring camp begins May 17 on the South Side. Zabransky's marriage will go on as planned, May 31, but the honeymoon has been pushed to late June.

He didn't happen to propose to his fiancee on a football field, did he?

"Nope, no bended knee in the end zone," Zabransky said. "I leave that to the crazy running backs."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_553666.html

Galax Steeler
02-22-2008, 04:00 AM
He could be a change at quarterback when ben comes out or maybe a trick play or two he has to be better then bsp.

Steel Pit
02-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Holy s***!

Good call man, I'll have to check the "online Madden rosters" to see if Jared is on the Steelers depth chart. As created by EA Sports, is he any good?

TackleMeBen
02-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Should we take bets on how long it will be until Ed Bouchette writes in the Post-Gazette, "Big Ben 'blindsided' by Steelers' signing of QB?"

I can imagine it now...Ed quotes a "tremulous" Ben as saying "I don't know....after all I've been to this team, I really can't understand why they think I can't be the guy of the future. Obviously they feel the need to keep bringing in quarterbacks to compete for my job. I really don't have anything to say to Tomlin or the Rooneys. Wow....that's all I can say....wow."

:wink02: Sorry, I just couldn't resist it.
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: thanks jazz for making spit my drink all over my computer screen this morning.

poor coach tomlin.. now he is going to have to qbs with huge egos..lol:wink02:

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 09:44 AM

LOL.....the Georgia Bulldogs still have fond memories of him. Too bad he probably doesn't remember that game.

This kid is as much a waste of a roster spot as BSP was. I look for the Steelers to draft a QB late and for Zabransky to not even make it out of camp.

SteelersJW
02-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Dude with his tats and everything, that guy looks pretty bad ass. He'll be a good guy just to hang out.

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Dude with his tats and everything, that guy looks pretty bad ass. He'll be a good guy just to hang out.

He's a punk.

Dino 6 Rings
02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
isn't he the dude on the cover my NCAA 2008 video game?

oh man...hope he's not cursed!

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
isn't he the dude on the cover my NCAA 2008 video game?

oh man...hope he's not cursed!

I think they took that picture right before he got knocked cold in the Georgia game. :wink02: