PDA

View Full Version : what would u do...

19ward86
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
i know some people here would be able to give a quick answer to this but when u really think about it, it can be a toss and turn type of situation.....

picture this:

you are a free agent that is from germany that played in the european football league and made a normal person salary and went to the US at age 29 and tried out for the NFL and the teams that were interested in you were the Steelers(or the team u like) and the browns(or the team u like the least). they wanted you as a LB and the steelers offered you a 3yr $1.2mil contract and the bengals offered you a 3yr $3mil contract, the twist is that after you finish your contract u r forced to retire because of injuries. what do you take? a contract with your dream team or do you take the money and play for the team u dont want to be on?

1 more thing, i dont want an answer like..."well i would love to be in the NFL period, doesnt matter what team." those answers are boring. i want to hear why someone would or wouldnt go to a team.

i would be on the browns, secretely having a houseful of steelers banners and jerseys and also when we played i would hang out with ben, willie, ward and the others.

fansince'76
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
At age 29? I would take the higher offer from the Browns. Business is business. LBs don't get better after the big 3-0 (unless they're juicing - just ask the Pats'* LB corps about that one), so I would think that would be the most money I could ever make playing.

tony hipchest
01-29-2008, 02:13 PM
some people say you only play to win. when i played, i played to make the play on each individual snap. each snap is fun, win or lose. if you play to your fullest, winning should take care of itself.

i'd play for any team. somebody like aneas williams played for the sorry assed cardinals for years, but he always showed up, made plays, earned a check, and had fun.

i could rest easilly at night like that.

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 02:28 PM
if i knew that i would have to retire after the contract is over i would take the browns deal.. more money in the 3 yrs and when u retire u would have more money than if u would of signed with the steelers or any other team... money is money u want it, u need it, and it's more money to live off of after ur season that started at 29

LambertIsGod58
01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd play for the Steelers...The money isn't as important as fulfilling a dream. And I'd make the stipulation to wear #58.

BlastFurnace
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Money. The Steelers won't pay my bills after I retire. I'll cheer for them after my playing days are over.

Dino 6 Rings
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
good question.

I'd have to sign with the Steelers for less money, if I had the option of the two, I'd have to take the dream of playing in the black and gold. However, if the only team to offer me a contract was the Browns, I'd have to put my love for the B&G on the back burner while I got my shot in the Pros. Then, once I retired, I could go on cheering for the Steelers. Problem is, my kids, seeing "dad" in a browns jersey, may turn into browns fans...that's a problem.

klick81
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
That IS a good question. In my opinion, 1.2 mill & playing for the black & gold > 3 mill and playing for another team.

If it was indeed an option, how can one put a price on a dream fulfilled??? Knowing that it would be my only contract, I would invest it wisely and then proudly tell my grandchildren who I played for!

Rhee Rhee
01-29-2008, 04:49 PM
At age 29? I would take the higher offer from the Browns. Business is business. LBs don't get better after the big 3-0 (unless they're juicing - just ask the Pats'* LB corps about that one), so I would think that would be the most money I could ever make playing.

money is always good... i'd take money over steelers... besides u don't wanna be like a scott norwood... screw ur team over by missing a tackle or missing a game changing interception....

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
living the dream is making it to the pro's and making the money... would u rather say hey, kids i played for the steelers and made 1.2 mill and u can spend it away u want it.. or do u say i played for the browns and made 3 mill and we spent the money the way we wanted and we still have enough left over for u kids to be set for a lil bit just in case u fall behind?? 3 mill goes a lot farther than 1.2.. and it's only 4 hrs between pitt and cle..

Steeler in Carolina
01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Take the 3 million. Then, after 3 years, become a coach for the Steelers.

19ward86
01-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Take the 3 million. Then, after 3 years, become a coach for the Steelers.

I love it, that is my dream anyway, to become the steelers wide receivers coach. i always give the underclassman at practice tips and and show them how to run routes smoother and how to be an overall better WR. you guys never know, i might be a coach one day, hopefully if this website is still up and running i can still communicate with all of you about whats goin on.

TheWarDen86
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

BTW - I like the coaching idea afterwards. Besides, 3 million and I could buy tix to every game if I wanted...that's a dream too.

MDSteel15
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
i know some people here would be able to give a quick answer to this but when u really think about it, it can be a toss and turn type of situation.....

picture this:

you are a free agent that is from germany that played in the european football league and made a normal person salary and went to the US at age 29 and tried out for the NFL and the teams that were interested in you were the Steelers(or the team u like) and the browns(or the team u like the least). they wanted you as a LB and the steelers offered you a 3yr $1.2mil contract and the bengals offered you a 3yr $3mil contract, the twist is that after you finish your contract u r forced to retire because of injuries. what do you take? a contract with your dream team or do you take the money and play for the team u dont want to be on?

1 more thing, i dont want an answer like..."well i would love to be in the NFL period, doesnt matter what team." those answers are boring. i want to hear why someone would or wouldnt go to a team.

i would be on the browns, secretely having a houseful of steelers banners and jerseys and also when we played i would hang out with ben, willie, ward and the others.

Steelers HANDS DOWN!!! Dream of a lifetime!!! Come On What a no-brainer :cheers:

ShutDown24
01-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I play for the Browns in an instant if I was almost 30. Sorry, I can be a Steelers fan again after my career lol.

Galax Steeler
01-30-2008, 03:41 AM
I would have to say the steelers why play for a team you don't like it would just be missery.

Steel Pit
01-30-2008, 04:06 AM
I would take the Steelers offer. As a matter of fact I wouldn't have listened to any other teams offer. In the mid-1980's, when I would have been old enough to play for the Steelers, 20-21 years old, I would have played for dishwasher wages plus tips.

Steelers baby! Nobody else. Just like our boy, Jon Witman, who doesn't get near the credit that he deserves in this forum. When Witman learned that he was most-likely going to be released by the Steelers, he opted to retire citing that "HE DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY FOR ANY TEAM OTHER THAN THE STEELERS".

This forum should issue an "Annual Jon Witman Award" for fan loyalty.

stlrtruck
01-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Well it kind of depends. Are the Steelers still the dominating force or are the browns the team up and coming with the potential for SB glory?

I'm going to assume the browns aren't the up and coming and the Steelers are still dominating. Therefore, I'd have to sign with the Steelers for less money but fulfilling the ultimate dream.

Then I could only hope that I would be able to get a coaching job in the NFL!!

Counselor
01-30-2008, 08:31 AM
OK, I've been thinking about this . . .I would sign with the Steelers and here's why:

No matter what, on those salaries, I would have to earn some kind of living after retirement, neither amount would keep me afloat forever. So, knowing I would have to work no matter what, I think I would want to fulfill my life long dream of being a Steeler----just think of the great stories you could tell kids and grand kids. Now, if the Browns were offering me 30 million versus 1.5 million I'd say---"hello Browns!"

Elvis
01-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I hate to say this
But I agree fansince76:cheers:

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
as much as i hate the patsi would pick the cheatin pats for many reason..
the money
the undeafeated season
and the RING where most ppl don't even get a chance in there careers...

it's nice that ppl want to play for the steelers for less money but when it comes down to it.. the world runs on money... there are many players in the league who grew up watching there fav teams and not that many players actually play for that team...

BlastFurnace
01-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Okay..... same question different teams.

Steelers for 1.5 mil......... or ............ the Cheatin' Pats for 3 mil (where you'd go down in history as having an asterisk next to your name.)

I'd go with the money.

ShutDown24
01-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I would have to say the steelers why play for a team you don't like it would just be missery.

I think you would pretty much like any team you played for, if not at first you would end up feeling like the guys were family so.

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 05:19 PM
it's money..,. ppl do anything for money..

RoethlisBURGHer
01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I would take the Steelers offer for the following reasons:

1. 1.5 Million is a lot of money, if you invest it correctly you cane make bigger money without much work. It's not like you're being offered $15,000/year versus $3M/year.

2. It's a lifelong dream to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for me...as it's also a lifelong nightmare to be a Cleveland Brown.

3. Playing for Pittsburgh, I believe I would have a better shot at winning a Super Bowl. That's what it is all about, winning a Super Bowl. That's why Randy Moss took a salary cut this year, to get that ring.