PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith-speed of a lineman?

19ward86
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
i was cruisin though the world wide web today and i fell upon anthony smiths draft information. most safeties run around a 4.4-4.5 in their 40yd dash. smith ran a 4.7, that kinda explains why he got beat deep so often. i tried to look up the website i was on but i cant remember the name, they send me emails now so ill know soon.

19ward86
01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=9513

here it is...right out of syracuse.

The Duke
01-29-2008, 08:20 PM
He's not fast, but I wouldn't say that's the reason he got beat deep. The times I remember him being beat he was actually very close to the receiver, but he just didn't make the play cause he maybe sucks at coverage.

maybe speed influenced, but he has to work on his coverage skills more than anything

BlastFurnace
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I just don't think he's any good in coverage. He's Lee Flowers Jr. basically.

ShutDown24
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
He was a strong saftey in college... They tend to play more run that FS... I am not going to blame the kid for having his position changed because we have Troy.

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 09:19 PM
some ppl play faster on the field than what there 40 says... he is a hard hitting safety who plays the run

Borski
01-29-2008, 09:40 PM
some of the plays he got beat deep on he bit of a fake and almost caught back up to make the play. a little more maturity and maybe he wont bite on the fakes and will make good plays.

jjpro11
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
speed isnt his problem.. he is over aggressive and it costs him. i thought there was a story about his poor combine numbers though. i cant remember for sure though.

MDSteel15
01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
He only got beat because of reading the play incorrectly. He was awesome with all his big hits, now nobody likes him??? Come on people.... He's more of an inexperienced Darren Perry

paw-n-maul-u
01-30-2008, 01:06 AM
who cares.

Ryan Clark- Does ANYONE even know who this guy is!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Uhh, besides the GOOD A. Smith going out of season for injury (which made our run D suffer horribly) ... easily the biggest injury we had we R. Clark at Safety.

He's what, 27? We have awhileeeeeeeeeeeeee to groom A. Smith ... if he even gets the gig.

Ryan Clark, although not flashy, not a big hitter, not a ballhawker, not going to turn any heads on sheer athletic ability.

but the man is Solid. ALL AROUND. and when you play w/ a Big time safety opposite you like Troy P. WHO ISS ALL THOSE THINGS (flashy, athletic, ...etc) .... you don't HAVE to go out and try and prove something. You arent ASKED to make the big play.

You just gotta not screw it up.

I don't know anthony smiths 40 time, nor do I care.

I do know that we were ranked #1 in pass defense until Clark went out.

Then it was all down hill from there. Not helped at all by Aaron smith leaving for the year.

paw-n-maul-u
01-30-2008, 01:15 AM
He only got beat because of reading the play incorrectly. He was awesome with all his big hits, now nobody likes him??? Come on people.... He's more of an inexperienced Darren Perry

what huge hits? one incredible lick that he SHOULD have made on Housh (then paraded around as if he thought there was an E. Reed on the back of his Jersey)

Don't get me wrong, I love what he COULD bring to the table. but he needs to get better in coverage. He's not a Tomlin draftee. He could but cut next camp for all we know and Tyrone could get the backup gig. (please, no).

Not sayin your wrong ... people were drinkin this kid's Koolaid the minute after he made his second wide open INT vs. backups in preseason his first year. And again at the end of 06'.

BOY, I sure wish we woulda kept chris hope. (get well soon btw). Here's to a full recovery from clark

Galax Steeler
01-30-2008, 03:45 AM
I believe anthony will be fine he is still in the learning stages I don't see him going anywhere.

LambertIsGod58
01-30-2008, 06:26 AM

I couldn't agree more MD. I love how people were all over Smith's johnson last year and now all this? His speed is not the problem. He is over aggressive, but alot of YOUNG players are. That's why he got beat...at least most of the time. I don't know of too many safetys that have 4.4 speed. And if I remember, it was Moss that he got torched by that everyone seems to recall. Moss 4.3 speed....what do you expect?

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
smith is going to be a good saftey opposite of troy.. he just needs to learn how to coverage better he has 2/3 of the gameplan down.. he can hit and stop the run.. he juts needs to cover better..

Lord Stiller
01-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Smith was rated in the top 5 for safeties that draft year

He seems more like a pure SS to me

If Tomlin started Smith over Carter in the Jax playoff game, I think we win that game

Elvis
01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I just don't think he's any good in coverage. He's Lee Flowers Jr. basically.
:coffee:
NIce point
I thought maybe I was the only one who remembered Flowers

Elvis
01-30-2008, 11:20 AM

If Tomlin started Smith over Carter in the Jax playoff game, I think we win that game
Lord Stiller
Why do you think that Smith would have did any better? I am not trying to be mean or anything, but that Jags game was Carter's worst game I have seen in a while.
:tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2008, 11:23 AM
A. Smith is going to be a good player in the league, but naturally, he does play run first and that's how he got beat deep in the NE game. He bit up, exactly as a rookie safety that is overly agressive is going to. They played him, and he lost.

He'll eventually get better, until then, we have Clark (hopefully healthy) to hold onto the roll and we can keep Anthony Smith on our STs to improve the tackling.

Lord Stiller
01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Lord Stiller
Why do you think that Smith would have did any better? I am not trying to be mean or anything, but that Jags game was Carter's worst game I have seen in a while.
:tt02:

Because Smith is a much much much better tackler than Carter, and he is faster.

2 key plays would have been different.

1 - Jones-Drew TD on the swing pass. Smith (or any decent DB) would have easily forced JD out of bounds at the 10 yd line. We might have been able to hold them to a FG

2 - Garrard's draw play on 4th down. Smith would have had a clear shot at him and would have likely knocked him the F out. Worst case scenario it would have been a 5 yd gain and they still would have been out of FG range

Carter is a dud. Do you know how we got him? He was cut by the Vikings and the Jets cuz he sucks

Serious lack in judgement by Tomlin there. There must have been more to the story and he was benched for disciplinary reasons

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
i think carter just hesitates too much on a play.. which kills hima dn thats why he doesn't do that well.. i mean he does ok when he comes into dime package or what not.. he's not a starting saftey and i agree we should of started smith..

Mosca
01-30-2008, 01:58 PM
I tell you, I personally don't really think that he's that good. What I mean is, I haven't seen anything that would make me expect that A Smith is going to be any BETTER than any of the guys who lasted a couple years and were gone. Other than the highlight film hits, I haven't seen anything that I haven't seen from dozens of other defensive backs that have come through town over the last 35 years.

I hope I'm wrong, but I won't lose any sleep over it either way.

steelpride12
01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
speed isnt his problem.. he is over aggressive and it costs him. i thought there was a story about his poor combine numbers though. i cant remember for sure though.

Agreed. He was never a fast FS and thats not why we brought him in. He just bit on the play action too often, but with him being young lets just hope those are growing pains for him!

Rhee Rhee
01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Ryan Clark, although not flashy, not a big hitter, not a ballhawker, not going to turn any heads on sheer athletic ability.
but the man is Solid. ALL AROUND. and when you play w/ a Big time safety opposite you like Troy P. WHO ISS ALL THOSE THINGS (flashy, athletic, ...etc) .... you don't HAVE to go out and try and prove something. You arent ASKED to make the big play.e, nor do I care.

well said... very well said!

besides what i am worried about is when u get older u lose speed... but usuaslly u make up for that with smarts and a high football IQ... anthony on the other hand has basically no football IQ for someone with that speed... i dont think he'll ever be a dominant player in the NFL... he's a great backup... and should be used on S/T

p.s. my friend's son is about 15 years old... he's a small kid at 5'5 but runs a 4.72 forty.... u should see this kid... he is blazing fast...

lilyoder6
01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
i just think that smith needs to get smatter and learn from troy and ryan and he;ll be good

Lord Stiller
01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
i think carter just hesitates too much on a play.. which kills hima dn thats why he doesn't do that well.. i mean he does ok when he comes into dime package or what not.. he's not a starting saftey and i agree we should of started smith..

Eh, Carter just sucks. Have you seen Carter tackle? He just falls down in front of someone and hopes they trip over him

SteelersJW
01-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Do you guys know Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 at the combine. THE Jerry Rice.

SteelersJW
01-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Parker ran a 4.23 at the N. Carolina Pro day. WOW

Rhee Rhee
01-30-2008, 10:44 PM

difference is jerry was quick like a cat and had "game" speed...

ricksteelers55
01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I had big hopes in the kid

But now he's going into his 3rd season,he will have to start playin like a pro,cause it's not college.

The guy has been playin with more hypes than skills.Yes he's a hard hitter,so what? he got burned a lot

Oh yeah he almost got back but guess what...they still scored.

He seems to have ego problems and I really hate it.You can be aggressive,and competitive...but not when you get stupid penalties like he did too much time last year.

Now this is going to be his moment of truth...if doesnt make it this year,write me down he's going to end up in 2 years being history.

BTW: for those of you sayin that he was playin SS in college...there is a guy who played in the same college named Tanard Jackson,who was playin CB....he was moved FS in Tampa Bay and guess what he's doing a heck of a job.

So yes,the guy does have some potential,he's a hard hitter,plays with a lot of energy,but he's nothing special to me. at least not for now

i guess only time will tell

Rhee Rhee
01-31-2008, 04:18 AM

i brought this up a while back that we should move anthony smith to SS... he'd play a backup role to polamalu and would be a pretty good backup when troy gets hurt and what not... Plus there is some value at the safety position this year...

ohiosteelerfan20
01-31-2008, 08:17 AM
i brought this up a while back that we should move anthony smith to SS... he'd play a backup role to polamalu and would be a pretty good backup when troy gets hurt and what not... Plus there is some value at the safety position this year...

How about Smith to SS and Troy to FS. Troy has been hurt so much, I think FS might be less wear and tear on him. And Smith can play the run all he wants at SS.

Lord Stiller
01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
How about Smith to SS and Troy to FS. Troy has been hurt so much, I think FS might be less wear and tear on him. And Smith can play the run all he wants at SS.

Nope. Polamalu is even more of a pure SS than Smith. He's really a prototypical SS type. No way he moves to FS, I doubt he would even be that good as a FS as he has the instincts of a SS.

Clark is a really good FS. Hopefully he can return to 100% next year and all our problems will be solved. WE can have Smith as a backup to Polamalu and hopefully find an uprgade over Carter to backup Clark (i.e. someone who is fast and doens't tackle like a *****)

BlastFurnace
01-31-2008, 09:58 AM

Yes, but Jerry was already a star by his second year in the NFL. Smith regressed this season. I agree that Smith doesn't need to run a 4.23, but his lack of speed along with his mistakes in judgement is what concerns many.