PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Remove Heinz Field Sod

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08029/853095-100.stm

Steelers remove Heinz Field sod
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are tearing out the grass at Heinz Field, but not because they have decided to install an artificial surface.

Less than a month after their season ended at home with a playoff defeat to the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Steelers are removing the sod that was laid over their primary DDGrassMaster surface in November in an attempt to make the field more playable and presentable.

It does not mean they have made any final decision to replace their grass field, which includes small synthetic fibers, with some type of artificial surface. The discussion to switch to another surface has been on-going among the Steelers hierarchy and a decision will be made shortly.

"That was something we had to do anyway," said Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett. "No decision has been made in regard to what we will do with the field."

The Steelers installed the sod, at a cost of $150,000, in an attempt to improve the field. But, because the sod covered the drainage system that was installed with the original surface, Heinz Field was turned into a soggy, muddy mess when the first game on the sod -- Nov. 26 against the Miami Dolphins -- was plagued by a severe thunderstorm.

Many of the Steelers players and Coach Mike Tomlin are in favor of retaining a grass surface at Heinz Field, primarily because it reduces the amount of stress on joints.

Rhee Rhee
01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
the players are the ones playing on the field... if they want grass give 'em grass

D.J.
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Give up the grass experiment already. Turf please!

Galax Steeler
01-31-2008, 03:31 AM
Don't matter to me lets play some football.

JustaFan
01-31-2008, 07:16 AM
the players are the ones playing on the field... if they want grass give 'em grass

Ricky Williams will agree with that, :jammin::jammin::jammin:

Edman
01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
Give up the grass experiment already. Turf please!

Turf destroyed Willie Parker's season.

ohiosteelerfan20
01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
I also think grass is better for the players. But when good grass turns to mush, that only is not good for the players, but its really not good for the game. There is just no way to keep the grass in playing condition with high school games played there. As long as the high school games are there, they have to bring in the turf.

SteelCityMan786
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
I also think grass is better for the players. But when good grass turns to mush, that only is not good for the players, but its really not good for the game. There is just no way to keep the grass in playing condition with high school games played there. As long as the high school games are there, they have to bring in the turf.

Don't forget the open endzone can take a toll to.

SteelersJW
01-31-2008, 07:09 PM
You know, after we demolished Three Rivers and moved into Hienz field with the grass field.....We've kind of been good.

D.J.
02-01-2008, 07:16 AM
This player got hurt on turf....that player got hurt on grass.....this player ruined his career on grass...that ruined his career on turf. What do they all have in common? It's called football and injuries are going to occur regardless of the surface. Will we ever get over this?

lilyoder6
02-01-2008, 08:21 AM
who cares if we get turf or not.. if we have grass we play good.. if we have turf, we play good.. so who it shouldn't matter what the hell the field is made of as long as we are winning..

Steelerfreak58
02-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Anyone taking that field is a professional athlete physically light years beyond the average. Turf or grass shouldn't even come into the equation.

Personally I would like to see them switch to turf too many other teams play on the field and puts way to much stress on it. If your not a Steeler fan it makes the organization look bad having a really shitty field.

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 09:44 AM
NFLPA's Upshaw calls out Heinz Field grass
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 1, 2008

PHOENIX - Many Steelers players have publicly said they either like or don't have a problem with the playing surface at Heinz Field.

How they feel privately is a different matter, the executive director of the NFL Players Association said Thursday.

Gene Upshaw called for a change from natural grass to FieldTurf at the Steelers' stadium, saying of chairman Dan Rooney, "his own team does not like the field."

In a survey of roughly 1,500 active players in 2006, the surface at Heinz Field was voted as the second-worst in the NFL (the surface at New England's Gillette Stadium was voted the worst, but the Patriots switched from natural grass to artificial turf during the 2006 season).

Upshaw said the sentiments of the Steelers players the NFLPA talked to were consistent with the result that made Heinz Field one of the least desirable stadiums to play at in the NFL, according to the survey the NFLPA released last year.

"I actually sent the results to Dan Rooney because we were having dinner one night and he said his players all told him that they like that field," Upshaw said. "I said, 'I bet I get a different result than you get. Were you handing them their checks when you asked them?' We would like to see them go to a different surface."

The Steelers are considering switching from DD Grassmaster to some sort of artificial turf, most likely FieldTurf, for next season. Rooney could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Bad weather and the wear and tear that comes with Pitt playing at Heinz Field and the WPIAL championship games being staged there as well made a mess of the playing surface for several Steelers games last season.

The most notable example was when the Steelers played the Dolphins on Nov. 26. Heavy rains turned the field, which had recently been resodded, into a veritable mud pit, and the Steelers sloshed their way to a 3-0 win over the Dolphins in the nationally televised game.

The field has taken its share of criticism from fans and the media, and last month Jaguars running back Fred Taylor called the playing surface "a lawsuit pending."

The Eagles are in a similar situation.

They also play their home games on natural grass, and the playing surface can become treacherous when the weather gets bad.

Said NFLPA president Troy Vincent, who played in the NFL from 1992-2006, "There was a consensus that (the playing surfaces in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) were the two worst fields to play on."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_550254.html

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Anyone taking that field is a professional athlete physically light years beyond the average. Turf or grass shouldn't even come into the equation.

Personally I would like to see them switch to turf too many other teams play on the field and puts way to much stress on it. If your not a Steeler fan it makes the organization look bad having a really shitty field.

Agree completely. When your stacking sod on top of sod, you know you have a problem. That's the price you pay when have pro, college and H.S. games being played on your field.

I also agree with Upshaw. Yeah, some players have stated that they like the field, but what do they really think? I strongly doubt you would see (insert player name) come out and state "Yeah, the field stinks, the guys that pay my check need to fix it ASAP".

Thankfully Upshaw is stepping up and suggesting that the Rooney's dish out the cash needed to install a new field. It is embarrassing.

MarylandSteeler
02-01-2008, 10:47 AM
What kind of field do you think that the Steelers should go with?

Do you think that the Rooneys will eventually tell the High Schools that they can't play on the field anymore because it is just too much for the field?

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Do you think that the Rooneys will eventually tell the High Schools that they can't play on the field anymore because it is just too much for the field?

I'll take concrete after witnessing what the field looked like this past season. :wink02:

No, I do not think the Rooney's will tell the H.S.'s to stay off the the field and choose from the thousand other football fields in the Western Pa. region to play the WPIALS.

MarylandSteeler
02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I just hope that they don't go the cheap way, I think that the Rooney's need too really do a good job with this. I think that it has been a problem for a while, when I have gone to games late in the season, it looks like they are playing on mud and not grass or anything green for that matter.

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Rooney defends Heinz Field against critics
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 1, 2008

PHOENIX -- Dan Rooney defended the playing surface at Heinz Field a day after NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw called for the Steelers to switch from natural grass to a form of artificial turf.

"Our number one concern is the safety of our players," the Steelers chairman told the Tribune-Review today. "We had the leading rusher (Willie Parker) in the National Football League break his leg (last season) and it had something to do with artificial turf."

The Steelers are considering installing some sort of artificial turf at Heinz Field for next season, and Rooney said a decision will "probably" be made next week.

Upshaw said Thursday that the Steelers players have indicated to the NFLPA that they would prefer artificial turf over the natural grass that is currently at Heinz Field.

"He got his information wrong," Rooney said. "That's all."

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he prefers playing on natural grass.

"I don't want to go to turf," Ward said. "I played on turf for about three years in Three Rivers (Stadium) and it took me a couple of years to get over that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_550380.html

OneForTheToe
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Upshaw is feeling his oats these days. About every five or six years he comes out and acts tough. Presumably, just enough to show the players that he is not completely the commishes lackey.

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Upshaw is feeling his oats these days. About every five or six years he comes out and acts tough. Presumably, just enough to show the players that he is not completely the commishes lackey.

Consider he is their top rep AND he is under high scrutiny, can you blame him?

Elvis
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
"He got his information wrong," Rooney said. "That's all."

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he prefers playing on natural grass.

"I don't want to go to turf," Ward said. "I played on turf for about three years in Three Rivers (Stadium) and it took me a couple of years to get over that."

Hines Ward has said it all in my opinion. My thoughts on Upshaw is like this...
The man sits on his A$$ for about 2 or 3 years until the leagues contract with him and the NFLPA is coming up. This man wants to come out and threaten someone like Mike Ditka, what a jerk!!
As far as I am concerned he is another over paid person in the NFL.

Elvis
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM

I would like to see the Steelers stay with the Grass Field myself, but get rid of the others games that are being played there at Hienz Field.

MarylandSteeler
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
What about the Pitt games do you get rid of them too? and if so where is Pitt going to play?

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
What about the Pitt games do you get rid of them too? and if so where is Pitt going to play?

PITT will continue to play there. I believe there is some type of agreement in place between PITT and the Rooney's.

As for H.S. games, if the Rooney's stopped H.S. teams from playing at Heinz they would take hell from schoolboard members and people who will cry "our tax dollars went towards the stadium, we can use it however we want"...:blah::blah::blah:

Personally, I think it's dumb that they have H.S. games on a professional football field to begin with. Just my opinion.

Eitherway, get a new surface, problem solved.

D.J.
02-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't understand all the secrecy and what is taking so darn long to make a decision? How can they possibly even still be considering grass? If turf is supposedly so darn dangerous than why is practically every major college using it? Even if they put grass back in.....heck, that crap they have in November in December has got to me far more dangerous than turf. I can't see hash marks or anything green for that matter.

MasterOfPuppets
02-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't understand all the secrecy and what is taking so darn long to make a decision? How can they possibly even still be considering grass? If turf is supposedly so darn dangerous than why is practically every major college using it? Even if they put grass back in.....heck, that crap they have in November in December has got to me far more dangerous than turf. I can't see hash marks or anything green for that matter.
not just colleges, my former high school has been using feild turf for about 15 yrs. they just replaced the original turf a few years ago. they first installed it after i graduated,so i didn't get to experience it, but all the players that have just love it. it's also the nicest high school stadium in maryland.
http://http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7681/745pxgreenwayavenuestadbo1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1707/800pxgreenwayavehomecommr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM

No major college in PA has went there yet. Penn State has stunned me with why they haven't switched over on occassion to turf although Beaver Stadium is a college football only stadium. When it rains, it can really damage the grass. Not to the level of Heinz Field though. My bet is if they do install a new grass again, they should look at what Penn State does to keep looking nice,

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
PITT will continue to play there. I believe there is some type of agreement in place between PITT and the Rooney's.

As for H.S. games, if the Rooney's stopped H.S. teams from playing at Heinz they would take hell from schoolboard members and people who will cry "our tax dollars went towards the stadium, we can use it however we want"...:blah::blah::blah:

Personally, I think it's dumb that they have H.S. games on a professional football field to begin with. Just my opinion.

Eitherway, get a new surface, problem solved.

yeah, and not to mention, that was pretty much the only Taxpayers were going to help.

No way it stops even with a turf.

I'm stunned that the PIAA hasn't even put it's championship at either at Heinz or the Link.

lilyoder6
02-01-2008, 09:26 PM
yea this yr my HS finally put turf on our field.. i mean it has it's advantages and disadvatages.. it does make u run faster,, and the maintence is easy.. but there are more injuries on turf than grass.. and i know when it's a very hot day the field is always at least 10 degrees hotter..

D.J.
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I knew someone would mention Penn State and Norte Dame, but seriously, there are hundreds of colleges across the country using the newer artificial turfs. My point is, if turf is so dangerous, why are all these hundreds of schools not to mention hundreds of high schools putting this turf in? One of my local high schools put it in last year and they love it. Even though they don't have the salaries of pro athletes do you think that high school or college athletes want to blow their knees out any more than pro athletes?

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I knew someone would mention Penn State and Norte Dame, but seriously, there are hundreds of colleges across the country using the newer artificial turfs. My point is, if turf is so dangerous, why are all these hundreds of schools not to mention hundreds of high schools putting this turf in? One of my local high schools put it in last year and they love it. Even though they don't have the salaries of pro athletes do you think that high school or college athletes want to blow their knees out any more than pro athletes?

I can speak on behalf of those high school athletes since I am one. No we don't want to blow out our knees any more then pro athletes. A lot of us love the game as much as the pros do and want to learn how to play it for ourselves. We want to go out and prove ourselves worthy of being able to be put on the field of play of our respective sports and do something that is meaningful in our lives.

Dynasty
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I think if the team switches to FieldTurf, it will be sort of like the transition to Coach Tomlin. It will take a while to get used to, but in the end, you realize that you get something better than what you had before. And I think the players will like having a field with the name of their team on it, instead of a bunch of slashes!

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I think if the team switches to FieldTurf, it will be sort of like the transition to Coach Tomlin. It will take a while to get used to, but in the end, you realize that you get something better than what you had before. And I think the players will like having a field with the name of their team on it, instead of a bunch of slashes!

The only reason they have the slashes is because of Pitt. People also ask why they don't have a mid-field logo now instead of mid-way through a season? It's because of NCAA Rules. NFL Teams who share stadiums with NCAA Teams may not place their logo at midfield unless the NCAA Team Season is over. I personally think it is stupid. It should be at the dispense of the NFL Team what happens. Pitt placed the Panther logo at Mid-Field as well as the Steelers placed theirs at mid-field when Pitt and the Steelers Played at Three Rivers, so why not now? For endzones, they could put Pittsburgh in both end-zones.

Dynasty
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
dude, i know why they can't, but with a fieldturf surface, you can like zip out the parts or something... i know some teams do that in their endzones, so i assume u could just pop in a pitt logo for a steelers logo as well as having colored end zones, etc.

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
dude, i know why they can't, but with a fieldturf surface, you can like zip out the parts or something... i know some teams do that in their endzones, so i assume u could just pop in a pitt logo for a steelers logo as well as having colored end zones, etc.

Very true. Some turfs to the best of my knowledge, some parts field turfs are held together by velcro(just going off of what I have been seeing with my school's field turf). I would definantly think they would have a painted endzone if they go with fieldturf. as much as I am an opponent, you might as well try to make it look decent and something other teams will envy.

D.J.
02-01-2008, 11:26 PM
While certainly not on the top of the list of priorities but still important, interchangeable logos/end zones are another good reason for the artificial surface. Heinz Field will look 100% better.

SteelCityMan786
02-02-2008, 09:11 AM
While certainly not on the top of the list of priorities but still important, interchangeable logos/end zones are another good reason for the artificial surface. Heinz Field will look 100% better.

I just hope they don't pull a Boise State. They probably couldn't anyway since Pitt and the Steelers will share the field.

plenewken
02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
If turf is supposedly so darn dangerous than why is practically every major college using it?

And why are the Steelers using it at their own practice facility?

GeneralRobinson
02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
And why are the Steelers using it at their own practice facility?

They only use it for the indoor field. Their outdoor field is grass.

SteelCityMan786
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
According to TSN, we will be a team playing on a grass field AGAIN.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=349022

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Big surprise the Willie Parker injury is cited by Rooney as a critical factor in keeping the cow pasture - no mention of Kreider blowing out his knee after it got stuck in the bog during the Miami game (or Parker having pushed for ditching the mud) .

Having self-righteously old school ownership is a mixed blessing

The Duke
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
"That's what the players want," Executive Director of Stadium Development Jimmie Sacco said Thursday at the Stadium Managers Association conference.

if the players are happy then I'm happy

I don't really care which is better and if everyone outside the steelers organization thinks they should change it, if our players are comfortable there let them keep it

thanks for the update

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2008, 04:25 PM
if the players are happy then I'm happy

I don't really care which is better and if everyone outside the steelers organization thinks they should change it, if our players are comfortable there let them keep it

thanks for the update

Yeah - the Steelers players love the field:dang:

In the 2006 NFLPA survey, 52.1% of Steelers players rated the field as poor (only the Pats had a higher % rating their home field as poor, which was before the Pats switched to Field Turf), 0% rated the field as excellent,and only 14.6% rated the field as excellent or good (lowest % of any team's players ranking their home field).

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/NewsAndEvents/turf%20survey.pdf

stillers4me
02-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Im ok with it as long as they schedule a little better from now on for that time of year. They know when the high schools will be playing their games.......just schedule a couple of away games those weeks. And definitely schedule the Monday night games before then.

Sooner or later, the league will make them switch anyway.

Preacher
02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
i don't know...

but to me, it seems like the inmates running the asylum.

Here is the field. We give you millions to play on it. Now go play.

I never thought I would say this to my Steelers... but...

BUTCH UP

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
i don't know...

but to me, it seems like the inmates running the asylum.

Here is the field. We give you millions to play on it. Now go play.

I never thought I would say this to my Steelers... but...

BUTCH UP

Given the Rooneys history of not letting the inmates run the asylum (just ask Whiz and Grimm how having the players support to be hired as HC to replace Cowher worked out) I am pretty confident the players did not call the shots on whether to replace the field.

Opinions can differ in good faith on the field, but claiming the decision turned on Parker being injured on a non-grass field + the players' alleged preferences represents the creation of a smokescreen that is more appropriate for those who call the shots for last Sunday's losing team. The Rooneys are dead set against a non-grass field - it would be preferable for them to simply admit that fact.

D.J.
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
What a bonehead decision. It is obvious that the Steelers are in some sort of denial. What makes them think that after seven years of playing in an embarrassing swamp, that they can now magically make real grass work in some fashion? What makes them feel that they can do something different than Baltimore, Cincinnati, or New England, especially since the Steelers field is much busier? And why would anyone turn down the prospect of additional income for their team from revenue from increased usage at the stadium if the field has turf? Perhaps the NFL will have to step in and help the Steeler's so called thinking. Has anyone looked at our schedule for 08? We are going to need all the speed we can muster. Now we will be slipping and sliding all season long in quicksand......again. Wake up and put in the turf already.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2008, 07:46 AM
What a bonehead decision. It is obvious that the Steelers are in some sort of denial.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 09:07 AM
What a bonehead decision. It is obvious that the Steelers are in some sort of denial. What makes them think that after seven years of playing in an embarrassing swamp, that they can now magically make real grass work in some fashion? What makes them feel that they can do something different than Baltimore, Cincinnati, or New England, especially since the Steelers field is much busier? And why would anyone turn down the prospect of additional income for their team from revenue from increased usage at the stadium if the field has turf? Perhaps the NFL will have to step in and help the Steeler's so called thinking. Has anyone looked at our schedule for 08? We are going to need all the speed we can muster. Now we will be slipping and sliding all season long in quicksand......again. Wake up and put in the turf already.

Did you know that some of those same teams have speedy guys to? So if we run into a rain storm, that can help slow them down. and Incase you haven't noticed, not for awhile if ever has their been a Steeler Players' season end on grass since Heinz Field. How about on Field Turf? Willie Parker's.

fordfan485
02-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Steelers will stay with grass at Heinz Field
Friday, February 08, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to stick with grass at Heinz Field, but they have not yet determined what kind it will be, sources confirmed.

Although Steelers President Art Rooney and chairman Dan Rooney each declined to comment, sources told the Post-Gazette that during meetings the past week, they decided not to install any kind of artificial turf.

And on Thursday, Jimmie Sacco, Heinz Field executive director of stadium development, said at a Stadium Managers Association conference, that the Steelers want to stick with grass.

"That's what the players want,'' Sports Business Daily quoted him as saying.

They may stay with the DDGrassMaster that has been the playing surface for most of Heinz Field's seven years, or switch to some sort of pure grass or sod.

Dan Rooney has been in favor of grass since Heinz Field opened, citing his players' overwhelming support for such a surface and surveys he says indicate fewer and less serious injuries occur on grass fields. DDGrassMaster is grass that is secured with fibers.

However, NFL Players Association surveys consistently put Heinz Field near the bottom of the league in playing surfaces.

Steelerfreak58
02-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I think its a bone headed choice considering the high school and college team plays there as well. If it were just the Steelers playing it wouldn't be so bad but the Pitt games and the Highschool game really take to much of a toll on the field.

Maybe they will get tired of being the worst field in the NFL after a few years and wake up.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I think its a bone headed choice considering the high school and college team plays there as well. If it were just the Steelers playing it wouldn't be so bad but the Pitt games and the Highschool game really take to much of a toll on the field.

Maybe they will get tired of being the worst field in the NFL after a few years and wake up.

Probably won't be for a LONG time.

plenewken
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
and Incase you haven't noticed, not for awhile if ever has their been a Steeler Players' season end on grass since Heinz Field. How about on Field Turf? Willie Parker's.

And how many Steelers of the 70s saw their career ended when they played on carpet at Three Rivers? This injury thing is just a friggin' lame excuse.
The Rooney don't know yet what kind of grass they'll put in. Here is a suggestion, put ganja and keep it short.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
And how many Steelers of the 70s saw their career ended when they played on carpet at Three Rivers? This injury thing is just a friggin' lame excuse.
The Rooney don't know yet what kind of grass they'll put in. Here is a suggestion, put ganja and keep it short.

I was talking about season ended. Ok so you're telling me you want to have a field surface that is not safe for players and find one player busts every bone in his body? Yeah Injury excuse is not lame. No I'm not saying Field Turf is not safe, but Field Turf has grass's negatives to a much higher extent.

lilyoder6
02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
maybe we should put sand ina nd then no one would have to argue about what grass to put in.. lol

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
maybe we should put sand ina nd then no one would have to argue about what grass to put in.. lol

You know how that worked out against the Phins on Monday Night Football.

X-Terminator
02-09-2008, 08:06 PM
"That's what the players want,''

The end.

We can all whine and cry about how bad the turf is at Heinz, but if the players want grass, then the team should keep the grass. But I know that isn't going to keep the debate from dying out.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2008, 08:19 PM
The end.

We can all whine and cry about how bad the turf is at Heinz, but if the players want grass, then the team should keep the grass. But I know that isn't going to keep the debate from dying out.

So Grimm should have been hired as HC since he was the players' choice, not Tomlin?

So Plax should have been re-signed since Ben wanted to keep him?

Players play and owners decide how to spend the revenue - the Rooneys cite the p[layers preferences only when it serves the Rooneys purposes - this was the Rooneys decision and the players did not have a damn thing to do with it.

I respect the Rooneys right to decide whether to spend the revenues on grass rather than FieldTurf - I do not respect using the players as a cover for the Rooneys clear personal preference for mud and regard it as reprehensible to cite Wilie Parker's injury as a justification for staying with mud. Kreider blew out his knee in the muck during the Miami game - his career being ended during that mess apparently does not count. If Parker had not been injured in St Louis the decision would have been the same.

X-Terminator
02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
So Grimm should have been hired as HC since he was the players' choice, not Tomlin?

So Plax should have been re-signed since Ben wanted to keep him?

Players play and owners decide how to spend the revenue - the Rooneys cite the p[layers preferences only when it serves the Rooneys purposes - this was the Rooneys decision and the players did not have a damn thing to do with it.

I respect the Rooneys right to decide whether to spend the revenues on grass rather than FieldTurf - I do not respect using the players as a cover for the Rooneys clear personal preference for mud and regard it as reprehensible to cite Wilie Parker's injury as a justification for staying with mud. Kreider blew out his knee in the muck during the Miami game - his career being ended during that mess apparently does not count. If Parker had not been injured in St Louis the decision would have been the same.

So what? Even if it WAS strictly the Rooneys' choice, it's STILL their prerogative if they want to keep a grass field. It's their franchise - they can do whatever they want. Nobody has to like it - hell, I don't completely agree with it - but we don't get to make that decision. And it is NOT reprehensible to use Parker's injury for keeping the grass - do you or do you not remember Ben saying that he was glad that he was playing on grass when he got drilled into the turf during the Ratbirds' game, or his hip injury would have been worse? I'd say that is a pretty good reason for keeping it as well, if the players' opinions were taken into account, which I believe did happen. Like it or not, the risk of being more seriously injured is higher on artificial surfaces than on grass. It is a proven fact. Besides, if it's reprehensible to you for the Rooneys to use Parker's injury as a reason to keep it, then it's reprehensible for you to use Kreider's injury for getting rid of it. Listen, I'd rather them have a nice, pretty field for them to play on as much as anyone, but there's no point in complaining about it, because it isn't going to change anything. Heinz will have grass next season, and that's that.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
So what? Even if it WAS strictly the Rooneys' choice, it's STILL their prerogative if they want to keep a grass field. It's their franchise - they can do whatever they want. Nobody has to like it - hell, I don't completely agree with it - but we don't get to make that decision. And it is NOT reprehensible to use Parker's injury for keeping the grass - do you or do you not remember Ben saying that he was glad that he was playing on grass when he got drilled into the turf during the Ratbirds' game, or his hip injury would have been worse? I'd say that is a pretty good reason for keeping it as well, if the players' opinions were taken into account, which I believe did happen. Like it or not, the risk of being more seriously injured is higher on artificial surfaces than on grass. It is a proven fact. Besides, if it's reprehensible to you for the Rooneys to use Parker's injury as a reason to keep it, then it's reprehensible for you to use Kreider's injury for getting rid of it. Listen, I'd rather them have a nice, pretty field for them to play on as much as anyone, but there's no point in complaining about it, because it isn't going to change anything. Heinz will have grass next season, and that's that.

I think we agree it is the Rooneys team and they can do what they please - where we disagree is that the Rooneys are somewhat selective as to going with the players preferences - they only cite the players preferences when it matches their own preferences.

The Rooneys should just man up and say they want grass = using the players as a cover is the sort of crap I would expect out of Kraft or Snyder or an owner who is a corporate lawyer (oops, that would be AJR II - no further explanation required for how this is being spun:smile:)

stillers4me
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
There's no place like home.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
There's no place like home.

HEY! THIS ISN'T KANSAS HERE! IT'S PENNSYLVANIA!!!(Or in your case ohio) :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Stlr4ever
02-09-2008, 10:20 PM

They need better drainage system, and also contingent plans to cover the turf in case of heavy rains. How about a retractable top like the one they have AZ or a cheaper solution would be to erect a big tent (50 x 100 yds.).
Oh yeah, keep those HS teams off the field. I am sure they don't make any money off the high schools. Why are Rooneys being soooooooooooooo doggone charitable?

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 10:23 PM
They need better drainage system, and also contingent plans to cover the turf in case of heavy rains. How about a retractable top like the one they have AZ or a cheaper solution would be to erect a big tent (50 x 100 yds.).
Oh yeah, keep those HS teams off the field. I am sure they don't make any money off the high schools. Why are Rooneys being soooooooooooooo doggone charitable?

They part of a rich tradition of Football in Western PA, and Heinz Field is the Epicenter of it all.

OneForTheToe
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM

It is more than a tradition it was part of the agreement when the Rooney's got a taxpayer funded stadium.

I agree ..... if they replace the sod as they did this year but only do it as they have time to tie in the drainage. I also like the idea of a better tarp system.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
It is more than a tradition it was part of the agreement when the Rooney's got a taxpayer funded stadium.

I agree ..... if they replace the sod as they did this year but only do it as they have time to tie in the drainage. I also like the idea of a better tarp system.

Yeah, They saw what happend this year pulling said work. Hopefully the Big East will spare Heinz Field on the weekend of WPIAL Finals that way they can play 2 per day rather then 4 in one day.

plenewken
02-10-2008, 09:59 AM

It's very possible that the drainage system is crappy, and I don't know if Heinz Field is heated. One good example the Steelers should look at is Lambeau Field which uses DD Grassmaster too and it's night and day between the 2 stadiums. And the weather in Green Bay is far worse than in Pittsburgh for natural grass

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
It's very possible that the drainage system is crappy, and I don't know if Heinz Field is heated. One good example the Steelers should look at is Lambeau Field which uses DD Grassmaster too and it's night and day between the 2 stadiums. And the weather in Green Bay is far worse than in Pittsburgh for natural grass

Well, what killed it last year during November was the fact it was actually placed right over top the old surface. It blocked the field drainage system. So they should just keep what the heck they had on the field and replaced where grass was dead.

plenewken
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, what killed it last year during November was the fact it was actually placed right over top the old surface. It blocked the field drainage system. So they should just keep what the heck they had on the field and replaced where grass was dead.

Dude, that field has been a huge piece of sh*t ever since Heinz Field opened. It's not last November only. When we played Jacksonville in January, the field had marginally improved and nobody had played on it for 3 weeks. More mud and sand than grass, that's what Heinz Field is all about. Nothing to be proud of.

My opinion is that there must be something in the design/ infrastructure of the field.

And for the posters saying playing on grass is true Steelers football, are they saying that we don't play true Steelers football on the road? And we didn't play true Steelers football at Three Rivers either? That's pure baloney.

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Dude, that field has been a huge piece of sh*t ever since Heinz Field opened. It's not last November only. When we played Jacksonville in January, the field had marginally improved and nobody had played on it for 3 weeks. More mud and sand than grass, that's what Heinz Field is all about. Nothing to be proud of.

My opinion is that there must be something in the design/ infrastructure of the field.

And for the posters saying playing on grass is true Steelers football, are they saying that we don't play true Steelers football on the road? And we didn't play true Steelers football at Three Rivers either? That's pure baloney.

BUT when they did the surface change last november, they placed it right over top of the old surface. That's almost surely guaranteed to be breeding ground for issues later.

With the River near by, it can sure mess things up especially when FLOODING happens.

The Turf has nothing to do with how we play or what our traditions are. We play on grass and have done well on it since the opening. We don't always have to have turf. That's what's supposed to provide the "Home-Field Advantage"

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I say its up to the players to make the decision what kind of field they play on. They do all the playing not the NFL or Commish. and making the Steelers happy at home is important.
Plus turf is nagging and many players get hurt because of it def. turf toe seems to be a big prob. and i know most of the players prefer grass, its what they grew up playing on!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I say its up to the players to make the decision what kind of field they play on. They do all the playing not the NFL or Commish. and making the Steelers happy at home is important.
Plus turf is nagging and many players get hurt because of it def. turf toe seems to be a big prob. and i know most of the players prefer grass, its what they grew up playing on!

Now you can still get injured on grass, BUT a majority of the time, Grass is less serious.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Now you can still get injured on grass, BUT a majority of the time, Grass is less serious.

Thanks.....you sum it up o so well! :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Steelers to keep it "real" at Heinz Field
Monday, February 11, 2008

The Steelers today confirmed a Post-Gazette report three days ago that they will stick with "natural grass" at Heinz Field next season.

"The majority of our players have told us that they prefer natural grass to any artificial surface," said club president Art Rooney II in a statement today, "and grass is also the preference of our coaches and athletic staff. We also discussed this with the University of Pittsburgh officials to make sure everyone is comfortable moving forward."

Pitt Athletic Director Steve Pederson said in a statement, "We have had in-depth conversations about the playing surface at Heinz Field since the completion of the season. After that review, we all agreed that we are committed to a natural grass surface. We appreciate the great job the staff at Heinz Field has done to have the field ready for our games."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08042/856602-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Steelers to keep it "real" at Heinz Field
Monday, February 11, 2008

The Steelers today confirmed a Post-Gazette report three days ago that they will stick with "natural grass" at Heinz Field next season.

"The majority of our players have told us that they prefer natural grass to any artificial surface," said club president Art Rooney II in a statement today, "and grass is also the preference of our coaches and athletic staff. We also discussed this with the University of Pittsburgh officials to make sure everyone is comfortable moving forward."

Pitt Athletic Director Steve Pederson said in a statement, "We have had in-depth conversations about the playing surface at Heinz Field since the completion of the season. After that review, we all agreed that we are committed to a natural grass surface. We appreciate the great job the staff at Heinz Field has done to have the field ready for our games."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08042/856602-66.stm

No mention as to whether the vendors and ushers support a grass field as well, but as long as AJR II is attempting to claim this was not decided by the personal preferences of the Rooneys he might as well claim those folks want grass too.

It is the Rooneys team and they can do as they want - too bad AJR II has to hide behind claiming somebody else called the shots on this rather than telling everyone to remember the golden rule - he who has the gold makes the rules.

Any inference Pitt had a say in this decision is particularly shameless.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Play on Grass, Play on Turf, Play on ROCKS! PLAY ON SAND! PLAY ON BROKEN GLASS! IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

and

P.I.T.T. LETS GO PITT!!!

klick81
02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Moving on!

lilyoder6
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806a3761&template=with-video&confirm=true

PITTSBURGH -- The Heinz Field maintenance crew won't be throwing away those "Keep Off The Grass" signs after all.

The Pittsburgh Steelers gave into their players' wishes and will keep their grass field, though it may not necessarily be the field that is currently in place.

While the Heinz Field surface is regularly rated by NFL players as one of the league's worst, a large number of Steelers players lobbied the team to keep the grass because they are convinced it reduces injuries.

"The majority of our players have told us that they prefer natural grass to any artificial surface," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a statement issued Monday. "Grass is also the preference of our coaches and athletic staff. We discussed this with the University of Pittsburgh to make sure everyone is comfortable moving forward."

Gregory Shamus / Getty Images
Steelers running back Willie Parker has been outspoken in his support of keeping grass at Heinz Field.

Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson also said the school favored grass. Pitt also plays its home games at Heinz Field, which opened in 2001.

"We have had in-depth conversations about the playing surface at Heinz Field since the completion of the season," Pederson said. "After the review, we all agreed that we are committed to a natural grass surface. We appreciate the great job the staff at Heinz Field has done to have the field ready for our games."

The Steelers currently use a grass surface called DD GrassMaster that has reinforcing strands of artificial fibers interwoven with natural grass. The team has not said if it will keep that surface or put down a different type of grass.

The Steelers received considerable criticism after a newly installed layer of sod became swamped by unseasonably heavy rain during their Nov. 26 game against Miami. There was standing water several inches deep, resulting in a nearly unplayable surface.

Both offenses stalled nearly the entire game, and the Steelers scored the only points on Jeff Reed's 24-yard field goal with 17 seconds remaining -- the first time in 64 years an NFL game went that long without any points.

After that game, the Steelers said they would study installing an artificial surface for the 2008 season. The stadium is used for an average of 22 games per game, including all home games by the Steelers and the University of Pittsburgh and at least five high school games.

However, Steelers running back Willie Parker -- the NFL's leading rusher at the time -- broke his right leg while cutting on artificial turf Dec. 20 in St. Louis.

Without Parker, the Steelers had almost no running game while losing their final regular-season game to Baltimore and their only playoff game, a last-minute 31-29 home-field loss to Jacksonville.

That injury may have swayed some in the Steelers' front office who were beginning to become convinced that, because of the heavy pounding the field takes each season, that switching to artificial turf would create a more uniform surface. It also would allow more non-football events to be held there each season.

But in a postseason interview with The Associated Press on Jan. 7, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said the NFL was pleased with the grass surface for the playoff game.

"I think the grass held up really good," Rooney said.

Part of the Steelers' turf problems this past season resulted from rain or snow falling before or during each of their final four games.

After five high school and college games were played at Heinz Field in a 30-hour period Nov. 23-24, $150,000 worth of new sod was laid atop the permanent grass field within hours before the Dolphins-Steelers game.

But the new grass became inundated when 1 1/2 inches of rain fell before and during the Dolphins game, and the field didn't drain as usual because there were two layers of sod -- rather than the usual single layer -- above the drainage system.

There was heavy rain again the following week for the Bengals-Steelers game, but the new sod held up much better. The field was criticized again by some Jacksonville players after about a half-inch of snow fell during the Jaguars' 29-22 regular-season win at Heinz Field on Dec. 16.

"That's a lawsuit waiting to happen," Jaguars running back Fred Taylor said.

However, once the field finally dried out during a two-week gap without games, conditions were much better for Jacksonville's return visit on Jan. 5, although light rain fell during that playoff game.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Stu Pidasso
02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Here's my opinion:

It's Steeler football.

I love it.

Give me more.

D.J.
02-11-2008, 11:20 PM
NEWS FLASH....THE FIELD S U C K S! Say it with me all those still in denial.......WAKE UP............BREATH DEEP........A R T I F I C I A L T U R F. There. That wasn't so bad was it?

Borski
02-11-2008, 11:27 PM
NEWS FLASH....THE FIELD S U C K S! Say it with me all those still in denial.......WAKE UP............BREATH DEEP........A R T I F I C I A L T U R F. There. That wasn't so bad was it?

You ok there?

lilyoder6
02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
i don't think u are suppose to have a space between the letters.. that is spelled wrong.. lol.. who cares if we have grass or turf.. do u play on the field???????

X-Terminator
02-12-2008, 09:33 AM

And when you finally breathe normally again, you'll come to the realization that the Steelers are sticking with grass. The Rooneys prefer it and the players prefer it. So it's time for you, Atlanta Dan and the rest of the anti-grass people to get over it, and move on. It's a dead issue.

tony hipchest
02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
LEGALIZE IT

D.J.
02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
We'll move on for now but nothing is any different today than it was in 01.....something tells me we still will see Field Turf installed at Heinz Field one day in the not too distant future.

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
We'll move on for now but nothing is any different today than it was in 01.....something tells me we still will see Field Turf installed at Heinz Field one day in the not too distant future.

Probably not until they've played their for 15 years.

steelpride12
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Im happy with the move to keep it grass, if thats what the Stillers want, then its what i want GO STEELERS!!!

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08043/856769-66.stm
Grass will continue to grow at Heinz Field
Tuesday, February 12, 2008

As the grass continues to grow at Heinz Field, to a point, so too will the debate that seems unique to Pittsburgh: Real or artificial?

The Steelers made sure the arguments for one or the other playing surface persist for at least another season with their choice to stick with grass in 2008, even though the NFL Players Association head has called for them to ditch it.

"I must say, I don't know whether to think it's a positive or negative that grass has gotten this much attention," Steelers President Art Rooney said yesterday, "but there's no denying that it's gotten a lot of attention."

Rooney explained that his team will play again on DDGrassMaster because "the majority of the people in this organization favor grass."

He said those include coach Mike Tomlin, the players and the medical staff. And Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations who argued for the installation of artificial turf, is "starting to think twice about it."

The five high school championship games and Pitt will remain at Heinz Field. The Steelers will continue to request a game on the road for Thanksgiving weekend, after the four WPIAL title games are played that Friday.

The installation of artificial turf remains a possibility, though, at some point. Rooney said they have met with several companies and will continue to do so. He cited FieldTurf's new Duraspine that was installed by West Virginia last year as an example of a more favorable development in artificial turf, and one that bears further inspection.

"There is no question that the new surfaces seem to be a better option than what we were dealing with 10 years ago. Things are improving in terms of the artificial surfaces. Maybe we will get to the point one of these years that our players will say this is what we want. ... There may be improvements to GrassMaster, as well. There's lots of things that can come along that may improve the situation and maybe allow us to stick with the grass and even have a better situation."

Injury surveys weighed little in the choice because Rooney said they are unreliable. Also, the 2006 NFL Players Association survey that ranked Heinz Field second-to-last among grass fields in the league has not been enough to sway them. Nor did NFLPA Executive Director Gene Upshaw's pleas to install FieldTurf.

"We would like to see them go to a different surface," Upshaw said in Arizona before the Super Bowl.

New England's was the only grass field ranked lower than Heinz in that 2006 survey and the Patriots have since switched to FieldTurf. Baltimore also switched. But three other teams also are sticking with the DDGrassMaster -- Philadelphia, Green Bay and Denver.

"Something would have to come along to really change a lot of people's thinking for us to make a decision to go the other way," Rooney said. "So our focus at this point is what's the best way to do grass? We'll evaluate doing the same thing we did last year in terms of bringing that turf in again."

The Steelers covered the DDGrassMaster -- mostly grass tied down and together by synthetic fibers -- with sod after the high school games in November. Then more than 1 inch of rain turned their Nov. 26 game against Miami into a bog. Rooney said the Steelers learned about how to cover the field and how not to on that occasion, and that will help them for the next time they do it.

"We have asked the league not to give us a game the weekend of the high school games. I think things can go better than they did this year from the standpoint of schedule and other items."

Rooney said cost is not a factor -- WVU installed its field for $900,000 -- because he said it costs more to maintain a grass field. Indeed, they must look to install another artificial surface on their indoor practice field because the FieldTurf installed there is now 8 years old.

He also said any money lost because they cannot accommodate some potential concerts at Heinz Field in order to maintain the grass is negligible.

D.J.
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Maybe 15 years, maybe before the end of the 08 season. Remember what happened at the Vet a few years back? Was it Baltimore or some other team that refused to play on the turf that was crumpled and uneven? I was surprise Miami did not refuse to play on the Heinz Field back last November. Injuries can occur on a grass surface that is that poor and that alone far surpasses the risk factors of artificial turf. Scheduling and weather will be the major factors on if and when turf ever comes but then again we are there now and we still keep dirt so who knows?

fansince'76
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM

It isn't the Rooneys' field to be charitable with, it's the taxpayers' field and HS teams playing on it is one of the stipulations that got HF rammed down the taxpayers' throats in the PA legislature to begin with.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
And when you finally breathe normally again, you'll come to the realization that the Steelers are sticking with grass. The Rooneys prefer it and the players prefer it. So it's time for you, Atlanta Dan and the rest of the anti-grass people to get over it, and move on. It's a dead issue.

Why don't you move on and quit telling us to move on?:smile:

Cronos
02-16-2008, 04:20 PM
If Three Rivers Stadium had grass, we would have won 6 Super Bowls in the 70's.

k7brown
02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I like the decision to keep the grass.

D.J.
02-16-2008, 11:25 PM
The decision stinks.

nicesteel4life
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
It's what the Organization wants from the top to the bottom! So I think they are doing the right thing

OneForTheToe
02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I wonder what they are doing with the old sod? If they are going to just throw it away I would like to make them an offer. I know this guy - call him RW [used to play inthe NFL] - who would pay me big for that sod. :cooldude:

He just keeps telling me;"man I need some grass." He must be putting in a backyard or something? :scratchchin:

I'm just saying.

D.J.
02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
We would play so much better on turf. So would Pitt. We have the worst field in the league and the Steelers are proud of it? Sad.

83-Steelers-43
02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Heinz Field could avoid scheduling fiasco
By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 25, 2008

The scheduling fiasco that saw Heinz Field turn to a muddy mess after playing host to six football games in one weekend this past November likely will be avoided this fall, as Pitt will play at Cincinnati the weekend of the WPIAL championships and the Steelers also have requested that the NFL schedule a road game.

There was concern when the Pitt-West Virginia game was scheduled for the Friday after Thanksgiving that it would interfere with the WPIAL football finals, which have been played on that day the past few years, but the WPIAL championship games are scheduled the weekend before, Nov. 21-22.

With Pitt away, the WPIAL finals could be played on a Saturday for the first time in a few years.

"We are elated by the opportunity to go there," WPIAL executive director Tim O'Malley said. "The date of availability will be dictated by the scheduled use of Heinz Field. Our day of preference would be to play on Saturday, if they let us, because we're in school on Friday. This year, it wasn't an issue. It's not conducive to anything we're supposedly about if we play on Friday when the kids are in school. If we have no choice, we would make other arrangements. Pitt's away and if the Steelers are away, it shouldn't be a problem."

It was a problem that drew national attention last fall, when the WPIAL played four championship games Nov. 24 and Pitt played host to South Florida the following day. The Steelers placed sod over their DD Grassmasters surface after the Pitt game, but a torrential downpour turned it into a quagmire for their Monday Night Football game against the Miami Dolphins.

Heinz Field executive director Jimmy Sacco was out of town and could not be reached immediately for comment, but the Steelers have already said they asked the NFL to schedule a road game that weekend.

"We always tell (the NFL) we don't want a game that weekend," Steelers president Art Rooney II told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review earlier this month. "Last year they called us and talked to us and said it will screw the schedule up if we can't put you at home that weekend. We said we'll live with it but we don't want to do it on a regular basis. They know that's not a weekend that we want to be home."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_554189.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Field turf is great to play on, but grass is always gonna be the best.

The problem isnt the surface, its the # of games played on it in the fall with WPIAL, Pitt and the Steelers all using it. Better scheduling should help.

Invesco at Mile High uses DD Grassmaster turf and they dont get the bad repuation like Heinz field does.

The Duke
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
I honestly don't know why they never thought of finding somewhere else to play. I know it's a lot of fun for the kids to play at Heinz, but it was ruining the field. No offense to them, but I would've kicked them out after the first time it happened. You don't HAVE to play on the NFL field. There are plenty of college stadiums around;

yeah, other teams playing in it hurts the field, but mr rooney is too much of a good person to kick them out. that cheap bastard :wink02:

they could probably even use PNC Park if they really wanted to.

:toofunny:

that was a joke right?

SteelCityMan786
02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Field turf is great to play on, but grass is always gonna be the best.

The problem isnt the surface, its the # of games played on it in the fall with WPIAL, Pitt and the Steelers all using it. Better scheduling should help.

Invesco at Mile High uses DD Grassmaster turf and they dont get the bad repuation like Heinz field does.

Well it looks like one of our new members has it right.

With grass you have to be careful not only about how you maintain it, but also how many events you schedule on it.