View Full Version : Roethlisberger dismisses 'rift' with Ward

Steel Pit
01-31-2008, 03:49 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_550061.html

Roethlisberger dismisses 'rift' with Ward
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 31, 2008

PHOENIX - Ben Roethlisberger spoke at a new conference Wednesday to promote the Pro Bowl. Afterward, he tried to defuse a controversy sparked by his comments that he'd like the Steelers to add a tall wide receiver to their roster.
Hines Ward appeared to take umbrage at what Roethlisberger said, but the Steelers quarterback said that was never the case.

"People made it way bigger than it really was, so there's no rift between Hines and I," Roethlisberger said at the Phoenix Convention Center. "We actually talked and laughed about it and joked. Hines and I have no problem."

Roethlisberger said his comments that he wants a taller wide receiver -- no wideout on the Steelers' 53-man roster is listed as taller than 6-foot-1 -- were taken out of context.

"The question was asked of me what else would you like besides what you have on your team now," Roethlisberger said. "I don't want to change who we have. I love my receivers. It got blown way out of proportion."
Roethlisberger had a career year in 2007, as he threw a franchise-record 32 touchdown passes. His passer rating of 104.1 in the regular season was second only to that of New England's Tom Brady.

Roethlisberger, who turns 26 in March, has two years left on his contract, and he and the Steelers are expected to work toward a long-term extension during the offseason. Roethlisberger recently told the Tribune-Review that he wants to retire with the Steelers, and he reiterated that yesterday.

"I keep the stance that I'm trying to stay in Pittsburgh," Roethlisberger said, adding that he hasn't heard anything in regard to a contract extension from his agents or the Steelers.

Roethlisberger, who set a handful of Steelers record last season, will play in his first Pro Bowl next month.

He is one of three Steelers players -- guard Alan Faneca and linebacker James Harrison are the others -- who will play in the Feb. 10 game.

He said he will stay in Phoenix for a couple of days but will leave before the New York Giants play the undefeated New England Patriots Sunday in Super Bowl XLII.

Two years ago, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl after he guided the Steelers to a 21-10 win over the Seahawks.

He said he thinks the Steelers have the foundation to return to the Super Bowl in the near future.

"I think we have a lot of the tools, and I think we have a lot of the players that are essential for us next year," Roethlisberger said. "I think there are some things that we all need to work on, myself included, and I think we'll be just fine because we have each other, and everybody we have in that room is talented and can get it done."

X-Terminator
01-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Sorry Ben, but the great Ed Bouchette would never take anything you say out of proportion and make it out to be more than it actually was. Well, at least that's what some people on this board seem to think :coffee:

The original story was BS from the get-go. Ben asking for a tall WR to help the offense was NOT a slight against Hines at all. Anyone who thinks rationally would come to the same conclusion.

Rhee Rhee
01-31-2008, 04:15 AM
media just looking for a good story... to keep their jobs...

stillers4me
01-31-2008, 05:19 AM
media just looking for a good story... to keep their jobs...

and sell newspapers.

zulater
01-31-2008, 05:48 AM
In my opinion the only one who took things out of context was Ward, so no I don't blame Bouchette. It never should have been an issue to begin with. I love Hines, but like many other wr's in the league he's got some diva in him. I mean honestly what quarterback doesn't want a full arsenal of weapons? The Steelers could use a good tall wr and he simply said so.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2008, 06:35 AM
If Ben wants to have the story die down he could quit commenting about it.

LambertLunatic
01-31-2008, 06:36 AM
but like many other wr's in the league he's got some diva in him.

I think that Hines tries to feel slighted or disrespected as a motivation tool. This is why he took offense when the Steelers drafted Edwards, Buress, and Holmes. One would think that getting several million dollars a year would be motivation enough, but if it takes feeling dissed for Hines to motivate himself, hey, whatever works.

zulater
01-31-2008, 06:52 AM

So he goes on Jim Rome's show and gives a no comment when the question inevitably comes up, how do you think that's going to be interpreted?

Or do you think he's not entitled to show himself during the offseason, good little quarterbacks should be seen but not heard? :yawn: Well that's not the guy we got, he did the best he could to diffuse what should have been a non issue to begin with and that should be the end of it fo Hines and us alike. :coffee: But it probably wont be. :wink02:

zulater
01-31-2008, 06:55 AM
I think that Hines tries to feel slighted or disrespected as a motivation tool. This is why he took offense when the Steelers drafted Edwards, Buress, and Holmes. One would think that getting several million dollars a year would be motivation enough, but if it takes feeling dissed for Hines to motivate himself, hey, whatever works.

I think that's pretty much what it's all about. :yep:

fansince'76
01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry Ben, but the great Ed Bouchette would never take anything you say out of proportion and make it out to be more than it actually was. Well, at least that's what some people on this board seem to think :coffee:

Of course, because everybody knows Ben is just an attention wh0re and sticks his foot in his mouth at every opportunity. The hacks, err, reporters are simply doing their jobs and would NEVER blow anything out of proportion. :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM

Now why would he do such a thing? :coffee:

Go Ben!!! :cheer:

memphissteelergirl
01-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Well...maybe we can all finally move on from this and hope Ben has learned to watch what he says.

83-Steelers-43
01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Well...maybe we can all finally move on from this and hope Ben has learned to watch what he says.

I'm definately willing to. Just put it in the memory box for safe keeping, but definately moving on and getting ready for the draft.

Unfortunately, as long as Ben keeps talking about it (or Ward if he also decides to keep going) , it will be discussed over and over again in the Pittsburgh media. That's normally how it works and not just with the Pittsburgh media (shocker).

MarylandSteeler
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
I think that things might have gotten blowen a little out of proportion, but that is not to say that Ben should have kept his mouth shut. I think that he needs to learn to say posivitive things to the media and keep all the other stuff behind closed doors.

Let things like that be said to the coach or to management but don't air that kind of thing to the media you know that it will be blown out of proportion. There is no need for you to make comments like that to the media because you always know that they are going to mis-quote you or take your words out of context.

So Big Ben needs to keep things to a minimum when he is talking to the media, although I know that he won't because he seems to have this thing for the spotlight.

fansince'76
01-31-2008, 09:44 AM
So Big Ben needs to keep things to a minimum when he is talking to the media, although I know that he won't because he seems to have this thing for the spotlight.

Yep, that damn Ben has all the local media and Jim Rome on speed dial and begs them to allow him to impart his wisdom about all things football to them, and not the other way around. Please. If he gives them a bunch of "no comments," no way will they spin that to mean something more either.

Edman
01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Of course you guys, big mouth primadonna Ben has all the local media outlets on his cell phone ready to call whenever he feels like speaking out and stirring controversy. What a primadonna he is.

It's the MEDIA who goes to Ben, not the other way around. Douchette goes to Ben with a question. Ben answers it, and fast Eddie runs away with a spun story.

How can anybody fault Ben for this?

83-Steelers-43
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Let things like that be said to the coach or to management but don't air that kind of thing to the media you know that it will be blown out of proportion. There is no need for you to make comments like that to the media because you always know that they are going to mis-quote you or take your words out of context.

Two little words always work....."no comment". Or you can simply word yourself differently or can choose not to do the interview in general, but why do that? No attention. Like I said, I heard very strong rumors that the media heads around the country (Pittsburgh ones in particular of course) kidnapped Ben and made him answer questions.

That's why you always hear players like Hampton, A. Smith, Ike Taylor, Kirshke, Keisel, Kreider, Starks and Townsend getting "set up" by the media.

Eh, I'm sure it won't be the last time. Until then, who do you think we will draft in the round one? :wink02:

MarylandSteeler
01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
This is not the first time that Big Ben has opened his mouth and gotten himself in trouble, Big Ben has constantly taken shots at the former coaching staff, but there are always fans that will step up and say that his words were taken out of context, it is like he can do no wrong in this city.

Look at it this way, you have to think that there is something wrong with what he is saying becuase he had a great year and then he wasn't voted team MVP, you would think after having a year like he had he would have gotten it, guess not. I think that the other players in the locker room know that Big Ben has a big mouth and that he has an arrogance about him.

In regards to having Jim Rome on speed dial, he has the ability to say no, he doesn't have to do every single TV interview that is offered to him, I know that it is in the nature of these guys to get all the air time that they can get, but maybe, just maybe Big Ben should say no every once in a while, let things blow over, and don't do all these TV spots so that everytime he gets in front of a mic he is asked about the Ward deal.

Take a break, enjoy the Pro-Bowl, and let things blow over.

83-Steelers-43
01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
This is not the first time that Big Ben has opened his mouth and gotten himself in trouble, Big Ben has constantly taken shots at the former coaching staff, but there are always fans that will step up and say that his words were taken out of context, it is like he can do no wrong in this city.

Look at it this way, you have to think that there is something wrong with what he is saying becuase he had a great year and then he wasn't voted team MVP, you would think after having a year like he had he would have gotten it, guess not. I think that the other players in the locker room know that Big Ben has a big mouth and that he has an arrogance about him.

In regards to having Jim Rome on speed dial, he has the ability to say no, he doesn't have to do every single TV interview that is offered to him, I know that it is in the nature of these guys to get all the air time that they can get, but maybe, just maybe Big Ben should say no every once in a while, let things blow over, and don't do all these TV spots so that everytime he gets in front of a mic he is asked about the Ward deal.

Take a break, enjoy the Pro-Bowl, and let things blow over.

*hands you one plane ticket to a destination not mentioned for your own safety*

Just keep telling yourself...

"Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far far away"

fansince'76
01-31-2008, 10:06 AM

Just like there will always be fans that blame it on Ben when a mountain is made out of a molehill by the media, which was the case here. Goes both ways from what I've seen.

MarylandSteeler
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Why is it always the media's fault, why can't these players take some of the blame, why do we always think that the players can say nothing wrong that it is the media that is always in the wrong, I am not saying that the media is always right, but why does it seem that the majority of the time that people always blame the media and not the player.

The player says that the media misquoted him and all of a sudden we are supposed to believe that everything that the player says is law and that there is no way that the player said what the media said that he said?

I know that the media is looking for a story, but I think that we give too much credit to the players, in the fact that if a player says something controversial, and then he takes heat for it, and then the player says that he was taken out of context, that it is automatically that the media took him out of context, not that the player actually meant what he said but he is trying to cover his own butt by blaming it on the media.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
So he goes on Jim Rome's show and gives a no comment when the question inevitably comes up, how do you think that's going to be interpreted?

Or do you think he's not entitled to show himself during the offseason, good little quarterbacks should be seen but not heard? :yawn: Well that's not the guy we got, he did the best he could to diffuse what should have been a non issue to begin with and that should be the end of it fo Hines and us alike. :coffee: But it probably wont be. :wink02:

The press conference was supposed to discuss the Pro Bowl. Ben went on Rome voluntarily.

Maybe the league can order him to appear at the press conference for the Pro Bowl (although i doubt it) but it is my understanding that Jim Rome does not have subpoena power to force Ben to come on his show.

It gets back to my point that it is not Ed. B.'s fault for reporting what Ben & Ward told him. If players do not want to have to explain what they meant then don't say it in the first place. However, some players enjoy the attention and accordingly need to deal with the consequences.

lilyoder6
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
well u have to look at it that ed took the interview and turned it into a dibaucle... these reporters have the power to turn a conversation of 2 ppl saying hi and bye into a fight of words by the way he writes it..

steelergirl07
01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the whole thing was taken out of context. But I also don't think it was totally the medias fault. It was just a snowball effect, and you can't blame reporters for doing their job.

And also I don't think Ben craves the spotlight. He's a franchise QB, of coure he's going to be interviewed. Should he just shut up, no. He's a person like everyone else and should have the right to speak if he wants too. Too me, it seems like he has fun when he does tv shows. Let him have fun, the season is done. He should just watch how he says things sometimes. And I'm sure after this whole debacle, he will.

memphissteelergirl
01-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Of course you guys, big mouth primadonna Ben has all the local media outlets on his cell phone ready to call whenever he feels like speaking out and stirring controversy. What a primadonna he is.

:wtf: Uh, I don't recall anybody here insinuating that Ben has Bouchette or any other reporter on speed dial looking to trash his teammates. All I or others have been saying is that in those circumstances when reporters are obviously fishing for a good quote, he should be more guarded in his comments. That's all.

Ricco Suavez
01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Is there anyone here on this board that has been interviewed by the press, then had said interview printed. If so shed some light on how that came out. Now has anyone had a conversation with a friend, family member, or co-worker that after being retold somehow got twisted into something that offended others. I bet more of you have been in that situation more than you want to admit. Now, imagine, you are a celebrity, sports figure or public figure who is constantly badgered for interviews. Some say watch what you say, good enough but whose to say it will not be contorted into some sensationalized piece of news anyway. Some say do not do interviews, fine ,but what about real fans who would like to know more about their idols, and what of others who will spin this as they are above doing interviews too good so to speak. Big Ben is the current Steeler QB, our franchise QB, who was asked a loaded question and he gave what I believe to be an semi-honest answer. I say semi in that he was not totally honest or he would of complained loudly about his O-Line, bur he showed some tact, now he said he would like a tall receiver, well shoot him, every other QB in the league would like a tall receiver. He complimented all his current receiving corp, he would just like to add another piece to this team to improve from where it is now. If him and Hines have worked this out then let us as fans move on. We all seem to have picked a side to align with, when in reality we should all be on the same side. I would not trade Hines Ward for any receiver in the league but we need to be grooming a receiver to some day take their place on the field and if it turns out to be a talented tall receiver so much the better.

alittlejazzbird
01-31-2008, 04:11 PM
So the thing no one's really talking about relative to this latest article is Ben's contract status. He's predictably vague on the subject, but I'm sure his agents keep him informed on every little thing that happens.

I'm presuming the Rooneys are going to wait until after the Pro Bowl to start negotiating, and probably we won't hear one word about it until it's a done deal and splashed all over the Pittsburgh media.

Any thoughts/guesses as to the length and value of the contract? I think Ben will retire a Steeler, though I don't think this one contract will be sufficient for the total term. In other words, they'll probably have to do this (re-negotiate) one more time at least.

19ward86
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
he is completely right, it was blown up and i think we should all just move along.

Tony19
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM

He didn't say anything "wrong," it was blown out of proportion.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
So the thing no one's really talking about relative to this latest article is Ben's contract status. He's predictably vague on the subject, but I'm sure his agents keep him informed on every little thing that happens.

Great point :thumbsup:

Ben knows how to zip it when it is something that impacts his bottom line, so it is hard to feel sorry for poor Ben being manipulated by the mean ol' media when he elects to pop off about ex-coaches or preferences in wide receivers.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
He didn't say anything "wrong," it was blown out of proportion.

I have not alleged what he said was "wrong" - I am saying if he wants to let it die then quit talking about it

zulater
01-31-2008, 06:41 PM
The press conference was supposed to discuss the Pro Bowl. Ben went on Rome voluntarily.

Maybe the league can order him to appear at the press conference for the Pro Bowl (although i doubt it) but it is my understanding that Jim Rome does not have subpoena power to force Ben to come on his show.

It gets back to my point that it is not Ed. B.'s fault for reporting what Ben & Ward told him. If players do not want to have to explain what they meant then don't say it in the first place. However, some players enjoy the attention and accordingly need to deal with the consequences.

I don't blame Bouchette, and I don't blame Ben, if there's anyone to blame it's Hines for getting his nose out of joint over nothing.

I like Hines but he's every bit the diva or more that you seem to think Ben is.

zulater
01-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I have not alleged what he said was "wrong" - I am saying if he wants to let it die then quit talking about it

Outside of this thread it probably is dead.

LVSteelersfan
01-31-2008, 07:12 PM
So if Ben said they need a new offensive line I suppose that would be considered a slight and all of the O-linemen would have been acting like they were slighted even though it is the truth. Give me a freakin break. It is a non-story.

SteelersJW
01-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Ben threw 32 touchdown passes this season, obviously he's having success with the personell he's got. Totally blown out of porportion!

LambertIsGod58
01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
I've honestly read about all I can take about this scenerio....and all I keep reading is whose fault it is. It's Ben's plain and simple. A good teammate would have never made a comment like this. Ben and Ben alone is responsible for what he said. No matter how much pressure he took for an interview or how much pressure to answer any question. If this is Ben's team, then he should f**kin' act like it....I'm so sick and tired of Bennie getting a pass on everything. Some people are seeing it...and I guess it's gonna take time for the majority to do so as well. I wish Hines asked for a QB who was smart enough and cared about "his team" enough to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle. Or ask for some O-line help so that his QB isn't on his ass half of the game. Or ask for a QB who makes better decision with the ball. Ben has never been a game winning QB since he's been here. And for me to watch the sappy crap about Ben promising Bus a SB title before it happened makes me sick. Ben didn't give Bussy his ring....his teammates did. Meaning the running game and the defense. Ben has done nothing for this franchise other than set a record for the worst QB rating in a SB. THANKS BEN!!! FOR EVERYTHING!!!

steelergirl07
01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
I've honestly read about all I can take about this scenerio....and all I keep reading is whose fault it is. It's Ben's plain and simple. A good teammate would have never made a comment like this. Ben and Ben alone is responsible for what he said. No matter how much pressure he took for an interview or how much pressure to answer any question. If this is Ben's team, then he should f**kin' act like it....I'm so sick and tired of Bennie getting a pass on everything. Some people are seeing it...and I guess it's gonna take time for the majority to do so as well. I wish Hines asked for a QB who was smart enough and cared about "his team" enough to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle. Or ask for some O-line help so that his QB isn't on his ass half of the game. Or ask for a QB who makes better decision with the ball. Ben has never been a game winning QB since he's been here. And for me to watch the sappy crap about Ben promising Bus a SB title before it happened makes me sick. Ben didn't give Bussy his ring....his teammates did. Meaning the running game and the defense. Ben has done nothing for this franchise other than set a record for the worst QB rating in a SB. THANKS BEN!!! FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Wow. He really hasn't done nothing? If you think it was out of line what he said, okay. But to actually say he hasn't done nothing for this team. Wow.:jawdrop:

LambertIsGod58
01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
With a name like SteelerGirl07, I doubt you can be unbiased. What has he done? Serve as the starting QB? What big games has he won with his arm? He had a good year this year....yes. But for people to act like he's the franchise savior or that he is somehow iconic without achieving anything real is beginning to grow tiresome. Maybe I went too far with saying he's done nothing...but IMO I can't think of what he's done. Just because he was the starting QB on our last SB championship team.....????? Y'all ever heard of Trent Dilfer?

steelergirl07
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Okay first off, please don't say anything about my screen name, and that I'm biased. I'm a Steeler fan first, Ben fan second. Second, I'm not saying he's our savior. But to say he's done nothing is going a little too far. He is one of the best QB's right now, behind Brady and Manning. And I don't think anyone on here said he was iconic.

X-Terminator
01-31-2008, 11:48 PM
So if Ben said they need a new offensive line I suppose that would be considered a slight and all of the O-linemen would have been acting like they were slighted even though it is the truth. Give me a freakin break. It is a non-story.

Of course it's a non-story. If it were any other QB in the league, even one who isn't nearly as good as Ben, who had asked for a tall WR, you wouldn't have heard one thing about it. The only people making this a bigger deal are the media and the fans who are looking for a reason to bash Ben or Hines (Ben more so than Hines). On top of that, have we heard what Santonio Holmes thinks of this? How about Cedric Wilson or Nate Washington, two guys who would be directly affected by the Steelers acquiring a tall WR? Not one word. Why? Because Bouchette knew he'd get the response he wanted by going to Hines with Ben's comments rather than the others. And some of you pretend that he didn't know exactly what he was doing and put the blame squarely at Ben's feet? Please. I'd like to think you're smarter than that.

I also think it's funny as hell that the same people who are bashing Ben for daring to offend Hines by asking for a tall WR claim they wouldn't have had a single problem with him bashing the OL for their play. Sorry boys, but you can't have it both ways. If it's wrong for Ben to throw Hines and the other WRs under the bus by asking for a tall WR (which of course he didn't do), then it's wrong for him to throw the OL under the bus no matter how justified he'd be for doing it. And if, by chance, he had done that, I'm sure he'd get bashed for it as well.

LambertIsGod58
02-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Okay first off, please don't say anything about my screen name, and that I'm biased. I'm a Steeler fan first, Ben fan second. Second, I'm not saying he's our savior. But to say he's done nothing is going a little too far. He is one of the best QB's right now, behind Brady and Manning. And I don't think anyone on here said he was iconic.

What are you basing your comparison of Brady and Manning to Ben? I'd really like to hear this.....

steelergirl07
02-01-2008, 01:12 AM
What are you basing your comparison of Brady and Manning to Ben? I'd really like to hear this.....

Stats. And just watching him play. It's obvious he's good. Call me dumb or whatever you want, he's a good QB. If he's not up to your standards, who is?

Rhee Rhee
02-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I also think it's funny as hell that the same people who are bashing Ben for daring to offend Hines by asking for a tall WR claim they wouldn't have had a single problem with him bashing the OL for their play. Sorry boys, but you can't have it both ways. If it's wrong for Ben to throw Hines and the other WRs under the bus by asking for a tall WR (which of course he didn't do), then it's wrong for him to throw the OL under the bus no matter how justified he'd be for doing it. And if, by chance, he had done that, I'm sure he'd get bashed for it as well.

said like a true politician...

if u ran for president i'd vote for u :tt02:

Steel Pit
02-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Stats. And just watching him play. It's obvious he's good. Call me dumb or whatever you want, he's a good QB. If he's not up to your standards, who is?

I agree with girl on this topic. When I look around the league, I can think of ONLY two QB's that I "MIGHT" select over Roethlisberger, they being P. Manning and Brady. However, although Manning is statisticly better, he's a few years older than Ben so I would have to take that into consideration.

Brady is a much better QB thus far but man, I've recently decided that I can't stand his arrogant a$$.

Steel Pit
02-01-2008, 02:08 AM
With a name like SteelerGirl07, I doubt you can be unbiased. What has he done? Serve as the starting QB? What big games has he won with his arm? He had a good year this year....yes. But for people to act like he's the franchise savior or that he is somehow iconic without achieving anything real is beginning to grow tiresome. Maybe I went too far with saying he's done nothing...but IMO I can't think of what he's done. Just because he was the starting QB on our last SB championship team.....????? Y'all ever heard of Trent Dilfer?

Ben hasn't shined in MOST of his big game opportunities but he has done a little more than serve as the starting QB.

One example would be the 06 playoff game versus the Colts. The Colts were definitely the best team that the Steelers had to face throughout that entire playoff run. Now you can't say that Ben didn't play well in that "big game". The gameplan was to come out passing and he did it with precision, remember? The Steelers passing game JUMPED ALL OVER THE COLTS, early and often.

Now I wouldn't consider the following week versus the Broncos to be anywhere near as big a game as was the Colts game but, It was the AFC Championship game and Ben did play pretty well.

I know that you can trump my little list with numerous "big games" that Ben has failed in so I partially agree with your post. I just believe that your "Ben has done nothing more than serve as the starting QB" was a little exaggerated.

LambertIsGod58
02-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Ben hasn't shined in MOST of his big game opportunities but he has done a little more than serve as the starting QB.

One example would be the 06 playoff game versus the Colts. The Colts were definitely the best team that the Steelers had to face throughout that entire playoff run. Now you can't say that Ben didn't play well in that "big game". The gameplan was to come out passing and he did it with precision, remember? The Steelers passing game JUMPED ALL OVER THE COLTS, early and often.

Now I wouldn't consider the following week versus the Broncos to be anywhere near as big a game as was the Colts game but, It was the AFC Championship game and Ben did play pretty well.

I know that you can trump my little list with numerous "big games" that Ben has failed in so I partially agree with your post. I just believe that your "Ben has done nothing more than serve as the starting QB" was a little exaggerated.

Maybe I did exaggerate a little...but you can't tell me that Ben is in the class of Manning and Brady? And I'm tired of fans being homers. There's no bigger Lambert fan than I. But I wouldn't rate him the greatest MLB of all-time. I'm tired of people making Ben out to be something that he is not....and may never be. Great year this year.

LambertIsGod58
02-01-2008, 02:31 AM

First and foremost, you have a right to your opinion. I don't resort to name calling b/c someone disagrees with mine. I think it's ludicrous to say that Ben is as good as Brady and Manning when they are regarded as the two best QB's of this era. I don't think Ben has proven anything yet....He had a good start with this season. Let's see if he can do it consistently. Until then I think it's a mockery of Brady's and Manning's achievements to mention Ben in their class.

Rhee Rhee
02-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Maybe I did exaggerate a little...but you can't tell me that Ben is in the class of Manning and Brady? And I'm tired of fans being homers. There's no bigger Lambert fan than I. But I wouldn't rate him the greatest MLB of all-time. I'm tired of people making Ben out to be something that he is not....and may never be. Great year this year.

if not lambert than who would u rate as your best MLB of all time?

Galax Steeler
02-01-2008, 03:07 AM
Ben is not as good as brady or manning but I think if he had the protection and personel that they had he would be ranked up there with them they have also been in the league longer and have more experience then ben.

Steel Pit
02-01-2008, 04:44 AM

No, I wouldn't put him in the same class as Brady and Manning. I think that there's a significant drop off with NFL QB's when comparing them to Brady and Manning, Carson Palmer may be the lone exception.

Now when it comes to the next tier of NFL QB's, then yes, I would take Ben over the others. Some Steelers fans rate Ben as an elite QB and I'll agree with you in that he's not an elite QB.

I'm guessing that some fans overrate Ben because of the Steelers 20 year span of fielding sorry-a$$ QB's, i.e...Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Mike Tomzcak, Neil O'Donnell, Kent Graham, Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller, Tommy Maddox and I'm sure that I've missed a few. In comparison to those bums, Ben really is elite.

zulater
02-01-2008, 05:17 AM
:cooldude:Ben is a top 5 quarterback based on who his contemporaries are, whether that makes him elite or not I really don't know? Ben is also good enough to get a strong team to a Super Bowl and win it. He's also relatively young as he's just about to turn 26, so I would imagine there's still some growth potential there. An interesting comparison might be Brett Favre who's decision making showed marked improvement in his second 5 seasons as compared to his first 5 as evidenced by his interception and sack totals. So long story short, no he's not Brady nor Peyton Manning, but he's a pretty damn good quarterback all the same. One that you can build another championship run around with a strong offseason or two, so what's to bitch about?

steelergirl07
02-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I hate arguing on forums. Even though I wouldn't really consider this arguing. I call truce. We'll just agree to disagree.

MasterOfPuppets
02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Ben is not as good as brady or manning but I think if he had the protection and personel that they had he would be ranked up there with them they have also been in the league longer and have more experience then ben.
:dang:.....man...i hate it when people make sence....

LambertIsGod58
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
No, I wouldn't put him in the same class as Brady and Manning. I think that there's a significant drop off with NFL QB's when comparing them to Brady and Manning, Carson Palmer may be the lone exception.

Now when it comes to the next tier of NFL QB's, then yes, I would take Ben over the others. Some Steelers fans rate Ben as an elite QB and I'll agree with you in that he's not an elite QB.

I'm guessing that some fans overrate Ben because of the Steelers 20 year span of fielding sorry-a$$ QB's, i.e...Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Mike Tomzcak, Neil O'Donnell, Kent Graham, Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller, Tommy Maddox and I'm sure that I've missed a few. In comparison to those bums, Ben really is elite.

Never thought of it that way...that does shed some light. Ben is the best QB we've had since Bradshaw.

LambertIsGod58
02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
if not lambert than who would u rate as your best MLB of all time?

I think Butkus was better...slightly.

steel striker
02-01-2008, 07:49 PM
It is time to move on and, let this story die. I know it probably won't but enough already I'm sure both Ben & Hines are sick of it as well. I'm sure if Ben is asked for another wish list he will not go down this path again. We have bigger issues like the o-line, run defense pass blocking basic football.

d2609j
02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Now that this is starting to blow over. I guess the real question is: What happens when the Steelers draft or pick up a 3rd/4th receiver to replace wilson or washington? And what if he happens to be over 6'2"? It truely is an area of need for the Steelers. Is that going to fuel the fire between Ben and Hines. Will Hines have a chip on his shoulder because the steelers are filling a need?

zulater
02-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I think Butkus was better...slightly.

Lambert was better against the pass, and had better sideline to sideline range, while Butkus was a fiercer tackler, but not by much. You couldn't go wrong with either but personally all homerism aside I think a strong case could be made on Lambert's behalf.

Dynasty
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
never saw either of them play, but i would be a hell of a lot more afraid to be goin against lambert!

LambertIsGod58
02-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Lambert was better against the pass, and had better sideline to sideline range, while Butkus was a fiercer tackler, but not by much. You couldn't go wrong with either but personally all homerism aside I think a strong case could be made on Lambert's behalf.

I agree...but I don't think Butkus had half the talent in playing in front of him that Lambert did. All I'd have to argue about is what could Lambert do if he was on the Bears' teams that Butkus was on? That's all. My God man, the Steel Curtain IMO was the greatest DL ever!!!

zulater
02-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree...but I don't think Butkus had half the talent in playing in front of him that Lambert did. All I'd have to argue about is what could Lambert do if he was on the Bears' teams that Butkus was on? That's all. My God man, the Steel Curtain IMO was the greatest DL ever!!!

That's a good point, but the Bears did have some good d-linemen back in Butkus' day, Doug Atkins comes to mind.

I think both were so great that they trancended their circumstances. Remember Lambert still played at a high level after Joe Green's play started slipping and even after he retired. Those last few years before the turf toe took him down he was practically a one man gang on defense.

It's a coin flip if you ask me. :cheers:

steel65
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
look hines you signed your contract a few years ago maybe your not happy with it now keep your mouth shut it's not bens fault the team only addressed the defense concerns blame the coach this team needs a big receiver to help the offense.

zulater
02-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but I just came across an article by Mike Bires that perfectly sums up the Ben- Hines misunderstanding in one sentence. To wit ; " It breaks down like this: Ben says a lot of dumb things. Hines takes everything as a personal affront."

:sofunny:

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but I just came across an article by Mike Bires that perfectly sums up the Ben- Hines misunderstanding in one sentence. To wit ; " It breaks down like this: Ben says a lot of dumb things. Hines takes everything as a personal affront."

:sofunny:

I'd agree with that...

ytsan2q
02-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I think a lot of people, including Ben, think effective tall receivers grow on trees. Think about it, there are less than a a handfull of recievers that are legitimately above 6 feet and are effective. You can have tall guys all they long. Big targets don't equal results.

lilyoder6
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
well any targets don't equal results if the o-line have another yr like they did this past yr..

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2008, 12:00 PM
How about...Just Get a SOLID # THREE Receiver Please...

I don't care if he's 5ft effing tall, just get me a guy that can get open on 3rd down and make catches. Holmes and Ward are awesome, Miller is great for a TE, we just need that Solid # 3 to be GREAT!

stlrtruck
02-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I think a lot of people, including Ben, think effective tall receivers grow on trees. Think about it, there are less than a a handfull of recievers that are legitimately above 6 feet and are effective. You can have tall guys all they long. Big targets don't equal results.

Obviously these people have forgotten about people like Art Monk. Ben, hopefully, will one day it's not the size of the dog in the fight - but the fight in the dog.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Ben, hopefully, will one day it's not the size of the dog in the fight - but the fight in the dog.

He has been throwing to and won a Super Bowl with one of those 'dogs' (86) since he's entered the league, not sure how much more blatantly obvious it can be made to him.

stlrtruck
02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
He has been throwing to and won a Super Bowl with one of those 'dogs' (86) since he's entered the league, not sure how much more blatantly obvious it can be made to him.

Yeah well I guess sometimes it takes a non-family member to point it out.