PDA

View Full Version : Enough to make you vomit

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Unbelievable - I so HOPE these bastards lose on Sunday. Trademark for the "perfect season" what a bunch of morons.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02012008/news/regionalnews/pat_ently_smug__snooty_587194.htm

PAT-ENTLY SMUG & SNOOTY
****Y NEW ENGLAND TEMPTS FATE WITH '19-0' TRADEMARK
By CHUCK BENNETT
PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

February 1, 2008 -- The Patriots are suffering from premature exhilaration.

The arrogant New England team has already applied for trademarks on "19-0" and "19-0 The Perfect Season." Three days before they beat the San Diego Chargers, and more than two weeks before Super Bowl XLII, the team egotistically filed paperwork with the US Patent and Trademark Office to cash in on sales of T-shirts, caps, posters and all kinds of Pats paraphernalia.

COMPLETE SUPER BOWL COVERAGE

MORE: Giants Blog

But the Pats have the wrong number.

The Post, ever confident that Eli Manning and company will squash the Pats on Sunday, spent $375 for its own trademark application yesterday - on "18-1."

Our application, No. 77385477, is pending.

And Bill Belichick and his bozos better wait a minuteman before counting their royalties.

"If the team gets wind of this and thinks, 'Maybe we jinxed ourselves,' well, the power of the human mind is incalculable, and if they begin thinking that, they will lose," warned Jordana Sands, a celebrity psychic from Manhattan.

Adding to the jinx, the official online NFL Shop has already started selling "19-0 Perfect Season" Super Bowl XLII championship tees and sweatshirts.

"I come from a town that's incredibly superstitious and there is a phrase, 'You don't want to disturb the gambling gods,' and there is a segment of the population that thinks they are messing with the gambling gods," said veteran Las Vegas oddsmaker Tony Sinisi.

As for the Giants, they are taking everything in stride.

"My reaction is this, our entire organization, from the Mara and Tisch families down, is focused on one thing: winning one game," said Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon.

The Post had no luck contacting David Johanson, the attorney who applied for the New England trademarks on Jan. 17. The woman who answered his telephone yelled, "We can't talk about this!" and hung up.

Several hours later, Pats spokesman Stacey James called to say the trademark filing was to protect profits, and is not a pre-emptive writing of history.

"These are defensive tactics taken so people can't brand with our logo," he said.

The "19-0" trademark has not yet been approved.

And all James had to say about his team's patent-office prophecy was: "I am confident that we are 18-0 and we play on Sunday."

For many sports watchers, the Pats' trademark application harked back to Pat Riley's days as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

In 1989, he trademarked the phrase "three-peat" in hopes of cashing in on bringing his team to a third consecutive championship.

His team failed, but ultimately Riley hit a royalties windfall anyway when the Chicago Bulls hit the "three-peat" in 1993.

Steeler in Carolina
02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Riley made a lot of money off the three-peat.

HometownGal
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Here ya go Kraft - the patent for your trademark . . . .

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/430062/2/istockphoto_430062_middle_finger.jpg

OneForTheToe
02-01-2008, 08:14 PM
The funny thing is that, unlike Riley, if the team fails they will never be able to cash in.

I got my witch doctor guide. I'm going to put a curse on on the Pats. Does anybody have any cramp bark or any pigmy mice tail?

That darn Kroger doesn't carry anything.

PisnNapalm
02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
It's good business to plan ahead like that. What's the problem?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM

I guess you can call it proactive huh!

TheWarDen86
02-01-2008, 08:30 PM

Remember 2001? They were all upset because Cowher let his players plan their trips to the Super Bowl before the AFCCG. It's basically the same thing. Add to this that Boston already has the parade planned. Karma, and I hope its bite hard New England!

People seem to forget the 12 pt. underdog 1997 Broncos and the 12-14 pt. underdog........yep, 2001 New England Patriots. Granted they're 18-0 but that does not guarantee a win.

GO GIANTS!!!

:cheers:

tony hipchest
02-01-2008, 08:49 PM
People seem to forget the 12 pt. underdog 1997 Broncos and the 12-14 pt. underdog........yep, 2001 New England Patriots. Granted they're 18-0 but that does not guarantee a win.

GO GIANTS!!!

:cheers:

:yep:

i doubt it happens, but theres still hope...

after all, brady could get ankle tackled or something.

TheWarDen86
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
:yep:

i doubt it happens, but theres still hope...

after all, brady could get ankle tackled or something.

Oh C'mon tony. I'm sure you've watched football long enough to know the smell of an upset. Look at our beloved Steelers in 05'. Personally, from what I've seen and heard, everyone expects the Pats to go in there, roll over the Giants, and go home with the trophy (period) The Superbowl is motivation enough, but throw in all this other garbage and I have no doubt the Giants will be coming with a vengence. I feel it in my bones....Hopefully Tom Brady and Randy Moss will too.

PisnNapalm
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
The Pats are gonna slaughter the Giants. The Pats D is gonna be in Eli's face all day. This is gonna be a blowout. All the Pats have to do is knock Eli around and cover Plax.

Game over.

TheWarDen86
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
The Pats are gonna slaughter the Giants. The Pats D is gonna be in Eli's face all day. This is gonna be a blowout. All the Pats have to do is knock Eli around and cover Plax.

Game over.

We'll see about that. The Pats defense hasn't been any sort of unstoppable force this year at all. It's been Brady, Moss and Welker. In fact if it wasn't for Welker they probably aren't 18-0. Like I said, we'll see.

19ward86
02-01-2008, 10:05 PM
i didnt read it all but since it was about the pats i figured it had to do with something about them gloating.....we will all see on sunday.

Edman
02-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Here's another trademark that the Patriots should look into.

"*"

Rhee Rhee
02-02-2008, 12:57 PM
where are the shirts gonna go once they lose?

TheWarDen86
02-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's another trademark that the Patriots should look into.

"*"

YES! lol.

Boss Smiley
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I think everyone is overreacting. You may as well admit the Pats will go 19-0, yes I know you hate it because you are jealous. I also think too much is being made over the whole "spygate" deal. People outside of the Pats fan base hate that we are the class of the NFL, and will do anything to make them look bad. I think everyone should be excited, this is our chance to see football history be made.

fansince'76
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I think everyone is overreacting. You may as well admit the Pats will go 19-0, yes I know you hate it because you are jealous. I also think too much is being made over the whole "spygate" deal. People outside of the Pats fan base hate that we are the class of the NFL, and will do anything to make them look bad. I think everyone should be excited, this is our chance to see football history be made.

Yep, typical bandwagon apologist - I noticed your IP traces to Columbus, Ohio - just jumped off the Bungles bandwagon, I'm guessing? :yawn:

83-Steelers-43
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
I noticed your IP traces to Columbus, Ohio

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/busted.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: :toofunny:

I'm going to at least give him a D- for trying.

Edman
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM

People hated the 90's Cowboys, People hated the 80's Niners, People hated the 70's Steelers, People hated the 60's Packers, People hated the Old-Time Giants and Bears.

But what do those franchises have in common?

They didn't cheat. If calling the Patriots dynasty tainted when there is spygate hanging over them makes me jealous, then I'm by all means jealous. The hell with the Patriots and their M******* fans. If going 19-0 is going to earn respect, you're sorely mistaken. It may get a lot of ass-kissing from ESPN, but America will have none of that. I certainly won't.

If NE wins XLII, congrats to them, but don't expect me to give them any props.

Enjoy it now, because Beliprick and Co. will get theirs. Just watch.

JackHammer
02-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Bumpity Bump Bump!!

Steeler in Carolina
02-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I guess all the money on the patent was wasted.

Elvis
02-03-2008, 09:30 PM

WHERE IS THIS CHUMP AT TONIGHT? WHAT A JOKE!!!

OX1947
02-03-2008, 10:05 PM
You think the Pats can trademark 18-1 Choke? I'm sure that the 84 Niners and 85 bears wouldn't mind.....

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I think everyone should be excited, this is our chance to see football history be made.

The only "football history" the Cheatriots are going to make today is joining the ranks with the 32 anf 42 Bears by going undefeated and doing the big choke in the Super Bowl.

I guess then CONGRATULTATIONS would be in order :cheer::cheer:

Hines0wnz
02-03-2008, 11:15 PM

No one is ever jealous of a team who cant get it done. Have a great off season.

Hines0wnz
02-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Game over.

Oops. :egg:

TheWarDen86
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
You think the Pats can trademark 18-1 Choke? I'm sure that the 84 Niners and 85 bears wouldn't mind.....

19-0 is owned by a doctor in Denver (for the 98 Bronco's who ended up at 16-2). He just renewed it in November (smart guy).

18-1 is owned by the New York Post as a result of Kraft trying to get "19-0."

Anyone want to take the trip to Boston with me? I'm going to collect tears in a jar. So whenever I am sad I can look at them and smile. :banana:

SteelerFanInCA
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

TheWarDen86
02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
.....I'm sure you've watched football long enough to know the smell of an upset. Look at our beloved Steelers in 05'. Personally, from what I've seen and heard, everyone expects the Pats to go in there, roll over the Giants, and go home with the trophy (period) The Superbowl is motivation enough, but throw in all this other garbage and I have no doubt the Giants will be coming with a vengence. I feel it in my bones....Hopefully Tom Brady and Randy Moss will too.

I love when I have these gut feelings. :wink02: And yes, I am patting myself on the back for calling this one. I effin knew it!