PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Steelers GM?

Elvis
02-02-2008, 06:51 AM
If you were Steelers GM this offseason, What would you do to help this team? Would you try to resign Faneca, and what would you offer him?
If you could ask 1 veteran on our team to take a pay cut or else, who would it be?
I think if I were Steelers GM this offseason I would start by trying to get Ben extended about 6 years and get that behind us. We all know that we are gonna have to pay big money to keep him, but if we wait til the end of the upcoming season it will be a distraction all season long and then it may cost us even more to resign him.
I would offer Faneca a 2 year contract at around $9 million and if he accepts it then very well, if not " CYA"
Clark Haggans is the man I would offer to him to either take a salary cut or move him on out of town. His numbers have dropped and we didnt draft Woodley and Timmons to sit on the bench for too long.
:coffee:

Rhee Rhee
02-02-2008, 12:53 PM
a. fix o-line.. starting with an OT in the first round

b. i would not try and resign faneca... it'd basically be trying to get your wife to buy that 50 inch Plasma when you just bought a 40 inch plasma...

c. i agree to resign ben around 6 years but the price will be through the roof... clark is a FA so just let him go... i'd actually really, really like hines to take a pay cut... don't get me wrong he's a great player for this franchise... BUT considering his age and the amount he's raking in every year even though he's getting injured more and more i'd want him to take a pay cut.. (it's highly unlikely but if it happend it'd be great...)

19ward86
02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
1. i wouldnt resign faneca, i would of traded him last year.
2. i wouldnt ask for someone to take a paycut, i would just cut sean mahan.
3. resign ben
4. fire tomlin....jk, love ya MT.
5. make sure i draft at least 3 olineman in the nfl draft. 2 tackles, 1 center
6. make sure hines ward and the other big time leaders are happy.

BlastFurnace
02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
If you were Steelers GM this offseason, What would you do to help this team? Would you try to resign Faneca, and what would you offer him?
If you could ask 1 veteran on our team to take a pay cut or else, who would it be?
I think if I were Steelers GM this offseason I would start by trying to get Ben extended about 6 years and get that behind us. We all know that we are gonna have to pay big money to keep him, but if we wait til the end of the upcoming season it will be a distraction all season long and then it may cost us even more to resign him.
I would offer Faneca a 2 year contract at around $9 million and if he accepts it then very well, if not " CYA"
Clark Haggans is the man I would offer to him to either take a salary cut or move him on out of town. His numbers have dropped and we didnt draft Woodley and Timmons to sit on the bench for too long.
:coffee:

Haggans is a FA anyway. He can't and won't restructure.

BlastFurnace
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
1. Focus on the draft. This draft is crucial to the future of the team due to it's age and the need for an influx of talent on the OL and DL. I don't care if the 1st 2 picks are on O'lineman.

2. Faneca is gone. Thank him and send him on his way.

3. Take a good long look at possibly moving Colon inside to Left Guard and signing Starks to play RT. Starks, at this point is valuable because he has proven that he can play RT and LT.

4. Look at some mid level FA's for the DL. When we signed Kimo and Seals, they were not big signings, but were considered decent lineman that payed big dividends. Look for some guys like that.

5. Sign Ben (this really should be # 1, but it's too obvious...just get it done)

6. Have Timmons eat, sleep, drink, cr@ap the playbook this offseason. Have him live with LeBeau, watch 24/7 tapes of Levon Kirkland on how to play the ILB position...seriously...get this kid ready to play and get on the field next season.

HometownGal
02-02-2008, 03:49 PM
1. Faneca is as good as gone, so imho, that is a moot point.

2. Get Ben signed long-term.

3. I think I would try to restructure Cedric Wilson. He is signed through the end of 2008 with a base salary of 2 MIL and represents 3 MIL against the cap. Though I love Ced to pieces, I don't think he has played like a 2 million dollar man.

LambertIsGod58
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
1) I would not resign Ben. For the money it's gonna cost I would not. We've proven to be competitive with the likes of Kordell for cryin' out loud. And considering it wasn't QB play that got us our last title, that's even more reason. What good is a QB when you don't have the talent around him. I say improve the O-line and defense. That's been the moniker of this franchise since I can remember. Running game and defense. And I realize this won't be a popular opinion.

19ward86
02-02-2008, 05:38 PM
ur crazy to not want to resign ben, he is a huge part of this teams success. if it wasnt for a guy like ben i doubt we would have 5 soup bowls and 3yrs of winning records.

OneForTheToe
02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd resign myself first for lots of money and only then resign Ben.:flap:

BlastFurnace
02-02-2008, 06:25 PM
1) I would not resign Ben. For the money it's gonna cost I would not. We've proven to be competitive with the likes of Kordell for cryin' out loud. And considering it wasn't QB play that got us our last title, that's even more reason. What good is a QB when you don't have the talent around him. I say improve the O-line and defense. That's been the moniker of this franchise since I can remember. Running game and defense. And I realize this won't be a popular opinion.

Thank goodness you are not the one making decisions. The QB play of Ben is the only reason we have a Super Bowl title in 2005. Without Ben, the past 4 seasons would have this team between 4-12 and 8-8...it's that simple.

Ben is worth every penny the Steelers will pay him.

If the Steelers don't pay Ben, it will tell the entire fanbase that the Steelers management and coaching staff has no clue on how to run a football team and that they no longer care about winning.

But as we all already know, Ben will be signed. That's pretty much a guarantee.

Lord Stiller
02-02-2008, 07:03 PM
They must resign Big Ben. Better to do it now with a deal similar to the one Romo got. If they try to wait another year, it will only cost them more $$$ with inflation plus Ben will be pissed. IMO Ben is the 3rd best QB in the NFL

With that being said, we must protect Ben at all costs.....

- Draft a tackle in the 1st round

- Find solution at Center and send Mahan to the firing squad (i'd suggest to draft the best interior lineman with our second pick)

- Look to get a quality WR via free agency if possible

- Draft quality backup RB in the mid rounds of the draft because it is loaded with RB talent this year
-

OneForTheToe
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
They have to sign Ben now. If they wait until next year they could be negotiating with him at a time when his agent knows the following season is going to be uncapped.
That would be a pretty big mozza ball hanging out there.

lilyoder6
02-02-2008, 09:59 PM
i would re-sign starks. and would agree basically with evryone who has said stuff.. but i would give mahan another shot during the pre-season..

RoethlisBURGHer
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
1. Resign Ben Roethlisberger to a contract that pays him what he deserves, but won't handicap the team when it comes time to resign players such as Willie Parker, James Harrison, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller...you get my drift.

2. Offer Alan Faneca a three year deal that puts him in the Top 5 of offensive linemen. If he takes it then that makes gaurd one less position to worry about in FA and the draft. If he doesn't take it, then don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

3. Draft an offensive tackle in the first round. We are gauranteed to lose Starks and/or Smith in free agency. I would love to get Jake Long from Michigan or the guy from Southern Cal (I can't think of his name).

4. In the second round I would take the best interior offensive lineman available.

5. Third round, the best defensive end available.

6. Between rounds 4-6 I would take a running back, a bruiser type that'll move the chains on short yardage. Davenport isn't the answer for the #2/short yardage back, IMHO.

7. Move Mahan to gaurd (position he played in Tampa). I think he would play much better at gaurd, and could possibly replace Faneca. If he refuses, cut him (I'd say trade him, but I don't think we could get a bucket of stick em for the guy).

8. Sign myself to a lucrative contract.

HometownGal
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM

O M F G. :jawdrop: So, tell me - who would be our starting QB in the event the Steelers pass on re-signing Ben? Batch? :sofunny: Frenchy? :sofunny: Hey - maybe we could get Interceptaverde on the cheap. :rolleyes: Ben was a large part of the Steelers run for the SB in 2005 and is the ONLY reason why the Steelers were 10-6 this season and not 6-10 or worse.

fansince'76
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Shit QBs were THE reason for the 26-year gap between titles. They were also the reason Cowher left town with only one ring as opposed to three or four. You think the Steelers would have even made it to SB XL, much less won it, without Ben? Dream on.

Big7BenHOF
02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
1. Focus on the draft. This draft is crucial to the future of the team due to it's age and the need for an influx of talent on the OL and DL. I don't care if the 1st 2 picks are on O'lineman.

3. Take a good long look at possibly moving Colon inside to Left Guard and signing Starks to play RT. Starks, at this point is valuable because he has proven that he can play RT and LT.

4. Look at some mid level FA's for the DL. When we signed Kimo and Seals, they were not big signings, but were considered decent lineman that payed big dividends. Look for some guys like that.

5. Sign Ben (this really should be # 1, but it's too obvious...just get it done)

6. Have Timmons eat, sleep, drink, cr@ap the playbook this offseason. Have him live with LeBeau, watch 24/7 tapes of Levon Kirkland on how to play the ILB position...seriously...get this kid ready to play and get on the field next season.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

LambertLunatic
02-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post

We'd have won at least 2 more Super Bowls if we'd have had a better QB in the 90's. My God, we went to how many AFCCGs wth O'Donnel and Kordel! O'Donnel was a decent QB, but only that''''decent. Stewart would have had trouble making it as the 2nd string QB on most teams.

MACH1
02-03-2008, 02:36 AM

What are you smoking?..... We would have 7-8 total Super Bowls if we had a qb like ben at the time.
Put ben behind center in those years and the talk would be Roethlisberger not montana or mr. perfect brady.

ricksteelers55
02-03-2008, 02:56 AM
1- No doubt Big Ben is my priority...sign him 7 yrs extension around 50 millions

2- Sean Mahan is out of town,Haggans is also history...now would start the Lamarr ''ILL BREAK YOUR NECK'' Woodley era....**I would keep Dan Kreider cause he's a beast at Blocking the run and could be useful in goal line situations

3- Find cheap players on the market that could help fill some backup holes

4- Going to the draft I'd make everything I could to draft OT Jeff Otah from Pitt so then I'd move Willie Colon RG and Kendall Simmons C

5- I'd draft a Run Stopping DE that could be a decent replacement if Smith gets injured in the future

6- CB and Big WR would be other needs that I would adress via draft

7- Drafting or signing an UDFA QB that could compete with Batch for the 2nd spot,Batch is our backup,but he wont be there forever

**I'd also try to work something with an other team to get a solid RB that could be a 1-2 punch with Willie or that could carry the load if Willie isnt ready next season.(Michael Bush,Tony Hunt,TJ Duckett would be the kind of guys that Id be seeking)

ohiosteelerfan20
02-03-2008, 05:41 AM

Every once in a while there is a post on here that I have to read twice because it is so dumb, I think I read it wrong. But this one, I had to read 3 times.

LambertIsGod58, I am not going to say you are crazy or insult you. I just want you to go look at the QBs of the SB winners from the last two decades. Other than Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, they all are either in the HOF, or bound for it. Great QBs win SBs.

Galax Steeler
02-03-2008, 06:10 AM
We would defenitly be stupid not to resign ben he makes plays when he has to and is defenitly top 3 quarterback.

steel striker
02-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Sign ben to a big contract let's face folks with him the year it would have been real ugly. Rmember all the sacks and still 32 td passes. Like mentioned above Alan is good as gone. It is time to restructure the o-line through the draft and, it seems we always find good defensive players through the draft so let's keep that trend going. I also agree without Ben we would not have won the 2005 SB and, remember the tackle?

Haiku_Dirtt
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Points One and Three are what is seriously troubling me. I really don't believe in magic. And it's going to take a magician to find ANY caliber O-lineman in this draft based on where we pick who can contribute this season. Prayers and wishes to our scouting department...I hope none of you have slept since the last Jacksonville game.

Ultimately shifting Colon and Starks amounts to a shell game. BUT WHAT OTHER CHOICE DO WE HAVE? Just don't lift up the shells. There is nothing underneath.

duma
02-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Of course there are the givens: O and D lines, and Ben.

I would also attempt to get Chad Johnson. I know that isn't going to happen, but I believe he would contribute much to our team - especially on the days we play Cinci. :)

LambertIsGod58
02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I can take all the criticism for my opinion, which I'm entitled to. We are all Steeler fans here...for the most part. I didn't realize that being a Steeler fan automatically translates into Ben fan? You all can think he's the team and we're nothing without him but I don't and never will. But giving him "the money he deserves" is only gonna make us weaker than we already are. Where do you think the money is gonna come from? You think the Rooney's are all of a sudden gonna change their spending habits? Don't think so....The team will suffer for signing him to that kind of money. Sit back and watch. For Ben to make more than Brady is a joke.

LambertIsGod58
02-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Every once in a while there is a post on here that I have to read twice because it is so dumb, I think I read it wrong. But this one, I had to read 3 times.

LambertIsGod58, I am not going to say you are crazy or insult you. I just want you to go look at the QBs of the SB winners from the last two decades. Other than Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, they all are either in the HOF, or bound for it. Great QBs win SBs.

First off, inferring that my post is dumb is an insult where I come from. But given the next comment in your thread, I realize not to put much stock into anything you have to say. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth. You conveniently left out that Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams were also SB winning QB's in the "last two decades". But I'm sure those three guys will be beside themselves to find out they are "bound" for the Hall of Fame.

BlastFurnace
02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I can take all the criticism for my opinion, which I'm entitled to. We are all Steeler fans here...for the most part. I didn't realize that being a Steeler fan automatically translates into Ben fan? You all can think he's the team and we're nothing without him but I don't and never will. But giving him "the money he deserves" is only gonna make us weaker than we already are. Where do you think the money is gonna come from? You think the Rooney's are all of a sudden gonna change their spending habits? Don't think so....The team will suffer for signing him to that kind of money. Sit back and watch. For Ben to make more than Brady is a joke.

So, in your book, the 78 & 79 Steelers would have won the SB with Cliff Stoudt at the helm and just handing off to Franco and Rocky. Just take away our HOF QB and rarely throw to our Two HOF receivers. Your original post inferred that we don't need a stud QB at the helm now..perhaps we didn't need one in 78 and 79 neither.

Your statement about not signing Ben is what is absolutely insane. I will repeat what I said earlier, without Ben, this team does not win SB 40, and the 2004 through 2008 seasons are more than likely 0.500 or below.

Thankfully, the Rooney's will spend their money....like they always do....and get this deal done. Not only because Ben is a top 5 QB in the league, but because he is simply "The Franchise" right now. It's that clear.

LambertIsGod58
02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
So, in your book, the 78 & 79 Steelers would have won the SB with Cliff Stoudt at the helm and just handing off to Franco and Rocky. Just take away our HOF QB and rarely throw to our Two HOF receivers. Your original post inferred that we don't need a stud QB at the helm now..perhaps we didn't need one in 78 and 79 neither.

Your statement about not signing Ben is what is absolutely insane. I will repeat what I said earlier, without Ben, this team does not win SB 40, and the 2004 through 2008 seasons are more than likely 0.500 or below.

Thankfully, the Rooney's will spend their money....like they always do....and get this deal done. Not only because Ben is a top 5 QB in the league, but because he is simply "The Franchise" right now. It's that clear.

Why didn't you bring up Super Bowl IX or X? That's simple. Because it refutes your point. Go back and look....We didn't need Bradshaw in those games. Your point is still unproven. Without Ben we wouldn't won SB XL? You are so obtuse to believe that. Even if you had said that we wouldn't have made it there without him...well, that's a disagreement. But to say we wouldn't have won it is just plain false. Keep ridin' his jock...and give him credit for things he doesn't deserve. And you are in the overwhelming majority who feel that way. It's just that some fans like yourself can not be objective. And the Rooney's always spend the money? What team have you followed? You're wrong there too!!!

fansince'76
02-03-2008, 04:43 PM
....the Rooney's always spend the money? What team have you followed?

I would imagine the same one that has next to nothing in cap room year in and year out. That doesn't happen without some spending going on.

lilyoder6
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
it would be pretty hard to have small cap room space when we don't spend money.. we spend the money in players.. not just 1 or 2 STARS..

ohiosteelerfan20
02-03-2008, 05:52 PM
First off, inferring that my post is dumb is an insult where I come from. But given the next comment in your thread, I realize not to put much stock into anything you have to say. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth. You conveniently left out that Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams were also SB winning QB's in the "last two decades". But I'm sure those three guys will be beside themselves to find out they are "bound" for the Hall of Fame.

Well, when I said the last two decades, I was refering to the 90's and this decade. And yea I for got about Rypien. The names that I was thinking about were Farve, Aikman, Brady, Manning, Young, Simms, and Elway. You may not like Ben, for what ever reason, but it is not even debatable, big name QBs winSBs.

steel65
02-03-2008, 07:31 PM
If I was gm i would sign ben draft 2 o line first try to get samuels as free agent from N.E. Draft tall receiver fire special teams coach improve secondary find good back up at tailback who can catch ask timmons for paycut since he can't figure out defensive schemes. and tell hines to keep mouth shut.

BlastFurnace
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Why didn't you bring up Super Bowl IX or X? That's simple. Because it refutes your point. Go back and look....We didn't need Bradshaw in those games. Your point is still unproven. Without Ben we wouldn't won SB XL? You are so obtuse to believe that. Even if you had said that we wouldn't have made it there without him...well, that's a disagreement. But to say we wouldn't have won it is just plain false. Keep ridin' his jock...and give him credit for things he doesn't deserve. And you are in the overwhelming majority who feel that way. It's just that some fans like yourself can not be objective. And the Rooney's always spend the money? What team have you followed? You're wrong there too!!!

Fine..I'll say it as well. The 74 and 75 Steelers don't win SB IX and X with Mike Kruceck or Joe Gilliam at the helm either. We didn't need Bradshaw in those games?????? Did you watch either game? Minnesota and Dallas were not teams that we could have trotted just anyone out there at QB and beat them...especially Dallas. There has to be a threat to throw the ball in order for the running game to work effectively. Time and time again, that has proven to be true. I guess you think that we could have put Theo Bell in for Stallworth and we wouldn't have missed him either. Unbelievable.

I'll ride Ben's jock as long as it is worth riding. If you think for a minute that Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller, Mike Tomczak, or Kent Graham could have lead this team to a SB XL victory, then I'm not sure what you have been smoking. Ben is the most important player on this team for it to have success. Anyone who has watched this team for the past 4 seasons knows that...or atleast should know that.

Come clean...are you Tom Donahoe?

X-Terminator
02-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Sorry dude, but you just do not give up on a franchise-caliber QB. It's sheer lunacy to even consider it. Take that comment any way you want. Ben is NOT the entire team, but he's a damn important part of it. After all of the garbage we've lined up behind center since Bradshaw retired in 1982, do you REALLY want to see another talented QB like Ben playing for another team while we keep suiting up retreads and jabronis? Nevermind, I think I already know the answer to that.

And it's really getting tiring seeing everyone say that the Rooneys don't spend money. If they didn't spend money, then why is it that nearly every single year, they are near or at the salary cap? The Rooneys don't throw gobs of money at one or two players, they spread it around to a bunch of different players, and predictably, everyone perceives it as the Rooneys being cheap. It's complete nonsense.

stlrtruck
02-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Find out how serious Ben was about keeping Faneca and letting him know that to do it he's going to have to sacrifice his own contract numbers. If he agreed, then sign him to a lengthy 7 year deal, sign Faneca, do my best to draft OL to bring up, look at the FA market for DL and DB backups, find a RB gem in the draft to help FWP, and for the love of God NOT DRAFT A WR!!!!