PDA

View Full Version : Steelers enjoying typical disrespect...

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Prisco doesn't surprise me...he's pretty much always wrong. But Fox Sports ranking 2 teams ahead of us we beat on the road (even including the asterisk "Tommy game" as a legitimate loss) is a little strange.

Hopefully the Steelers continue to be overlooked all season.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9003123
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5023840

Tim
10-26-2005, 11:30 AM
I hope so too. I loved how all the ESPN Sunday Countdown guys picked Cincy. That always makes me feel better about our chances.

Silly I know, but we're always so much better being underrated than when we're overrated.

Koopa
10-26-2005, 11:32 AM
i too like when they underrate us. it's much more sweeter in the end when they win. analyst do the same with the spurs and look what happened with them.

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey, check this list out...Dr. Z from SI.com...

Now THIS is an interesting list! Bengals ranked 15th! LOL.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/10/25/ranks.week7/index.html

RoethlisBURGHer
10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
How the hell are the Chargers above us?They lost that game...a game everyone said was a must-win for them.

Maybe they'll see that the Steelers are a very good team (top 2 in the NFL) after we win the Super Bowl?

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Might as well throw this one in, too...so we have the whole gang of 4.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

Iron City Hangover
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
I hope so too. I loved how all the ESPN Sunday Countdown guys picked Cincy. That always makes me feel better about our chances.

Silly I know, but we're always so much better being underrated than when we're overrated.
And that's what makes them analysts and us fans.

SteelrsRck
10-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Ditto i would rather be underrated shit im used to it we have be under rated for years one of the reasons we have one of the weakest divisions in the NFL but that suits me fine like ICH said in another post what matters comes in January

Iron City Hangover
10-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Ditto i would rather be underrated shit im used to it we have be under rated for years one of the reasons we have one of the weakest divisions in the NFL but that suits me fine like ICH said in another post what matters comes in January
See you in January Peter King, Dr. Z and the boys!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Yep, I love being able to say I told ya so!!!!!!!

Let em think Ben isnt that good, let em think we arent all that... We'll see !!!

OX1947
10-26-2005, 03:00 PM
I love it when they dont like us, thats when we win. My hope is that we go into the playoffs and everyone is picking Indy or the Pats or whoever.

clevestinks
10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
No respect is good! Keep us on our toes. We play better that way. This may be a little bulletin board news for our team

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Getting worried about where you rank on some website is ludicrous.

With regard to the NFL "rankings" it's not the BCS, where you are sweating out some sportswriter screwing you out of a proper ranking in order to help out the prospects of the sportswriter's local team (e.g. the Texas sportswriters who lowballed Cal in the polls last year so the final BCS rankings would put Texas rather than Cal in the Rose Bowl). It is not even college bball, where polls can impact your seeding in the NCAA tournament.

The NFL decides who gets in the playoffs and where they play based solely on what you do on the field. These "rankings" are total nonsense and a functon of needing to put something up on your site to attract readers. For what it is worth, Dr. Z has forgotten more about football than Prisco will ever know.

In closing, the Steelers were a unanimous #1 in the rankings at the end of last year's regular season - seen any T-shirts or hats proclaiming that fact or talked to anyone who cares about that ranking?

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Getting worried about where you rank on some website is ludicrous.

With regard to the NFL "rankings" it's not the BCS, where you are sweating out some sportswriter screwing you out of a proper ranking in order to help out the prospects of the sportswriter's local team (e.g. the Texas sportswriters who lowballed Cal in the polls last year so the final BCS rankings would put Texas rather than Cal in the Rose Bowl). It is not even college bball, where polls can impact your seeding in the NCAA tournament.

The NFL decides who gets in the playoffs and where they play based solely on what you do on the field. These "rankings" are total nonsense and a functon of needing to put something up on your site to attract readers. For what it is worth, Dr. Z has forgotten more about football than Prisco will ever know.

In closing, the Steelers were a unanimous #1 in the rankings at the end of last year's regular season - seen any T-shirts or hats proclaiming that fact or talked to anyone who cares about that ranking?

By following this line of reasoning, there's hardly any sense in discussing NFL football at all until early February...and I should throw away my Steelers 2004 AFC North Champions hat...

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Suitanim - Your 2004 AFC North Champs hat (as was the case with my 1994 AFC Central Champs sweatshirt I still have) was for something earned on the field, not awarded by Prisco or Dr. Z; my point was that nobody is wearing a CBS Sportsline NFL 2004 Regular Season #1 Peter Prisco Power Ranking hat.

As someone who has DirecTV for the purpose of getting all regular season Steeler games, I also am not arguing that the regular season does not matter - however, I am fairly confident that at no point while while watching a game this season have you been involved in a conversation concerning how that game will impact the Steelers' position in the espn.com, CBS Sportsline, or CNN.SI power rankings.

With that having been said, take it from someone who lives in Atlanta and watched yet another crash & burn by the Braves in the postseason - the price of success is that winning the division again is nice but at some point not enough. Winning a Super Bowl is the realistic goal of this current team and the reason Jerome Bettis came back, not getting to walk around the locker room in late December wearing AFC North Division Champs hats (such a limited goal is better suited for the Bengals). The regular season games matter because no team gets a bye to the post-season. For this team the most important part of the season will begin in January - if theSteelers do not make the playoffs the 2005 season will be a huge disappointment for the team and its fans.

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Suitanim - Your 2004 AFC North Champs hat (as was the case with my 1994 AFC Central Champs sweatshirt I still have) was for something earned on the field, not awarded by Prisco or Dr. Z; my point was that nobody is wearing a CBS Sportsline NFL 2004 Regular Season #1 Peter Prisco Power Ranking hat.

As someone who has DirecTV for the purpose of getting all regular season Steeler games, I also am not arguing that the regular season does not matter - however, I am fairly confident that at no point while while watching a game this season have you been involved in a conversation concerning how that game will impact the Steelers' position in the espn.com, CBS Sportsline, or CNN.SI power rankings.

With that having been said, take it from someone who lives in Atlanta and watched yet another crash & burn by the Braves in the postseason - the price of success is that winning the division again is nice but at some point not enough. Winning a Super Bowl is the realistic goal of this current team and the reason Jerome Bettis came back, not getting to walk around the locker room in late December wearing AFC North Division Champs hats (such a limited goal is better suited for the Bengals). The regular season games matter because no team gets a bye to the post-season. For this team the most important part of the season will begin in January - if theSteelers do not make the playoffs the 2005 season will be a huge disappointment for the team and its fans.

You just talked yourself out of your original point. We can only, as fans, infer and prognostigate along with the talking heads who are paid to be more right than even the Head Coaches of the teams they criticize...regardless, the fun is as much in the chase as it it is in the kill.

Lighten up. It's week-to-week scores and power rankings and fantasy scores and player stats and so on and so-forth that make the NFL what it is...

Livinginthe past
10-27-2005, 12:59 AM
I have to say that the Aaron Shatz power ranking system is the most laughable piece of journalism I have seen in a long time.

It has become fashionable to back your opinions with hard facts - but I think maybe someone is looking at the WRONG facts - surely Aaron looks at what his 'powerranking supercomputer' pops into his in-tray on a tuesday morning and can only groan "how can I possibly justify this load of nonsense?"

The most mind numbing of the rankings include.....

1. The recently vanquished Bengals ranked at No.2 - despite being shown who is the daddy in that particular division THAT VERY WEEK.

2. Chargers at No.3 - a team with a losing record at number 3? An argument can be made for being better than your record due to an adversely difficult schedule - but if you rank No.3 - then surely you should still be beating these teams.....

3. Miami 2-4 ranked ahead of 3-3 New England

4. 2-4 Oakland Raiders ranked ahead of 3-3 New England

We all know power-rankings are out there to cause debate....but I think this particular one should take a long walk off a short plank......not worth the cyber paper it is written on.

NM

tony hipchest
10-27-2005, 09:52 AM
bill belichick is warming up his deck of "no respect" cards as we speak. he will be playing them probably this week to motivate his crew. i dont buy it but the players sure do.