PDA

View Full Version : Undefeated...

j-dawg
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I was listening to espn radio today and i kept hearing how miami is the only team in football history to have EVER gone undefeated..

"no other team in football history has done it, not in the eighties, the sixties, fifties, forties... no other team except the 1972 Dolphins"

:banging: try the 1948 Cleveland Browns.. 15-0

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1940s/undefeated.jsp

In light of yesterdays game, I think it's a huge disrespect that this team is not recognized in the history of the game for what they accomplished.

rbryan
02-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I think the Toledo mudhens were undefeated in 1927

NJarhead
02-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I think the Toledo mudhens were undefeated in 1927

:sofunny:

revefsreleets
02-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Dude, that was 60 years ago, and pro football was VERY different back then. I never could understand while it was always okay for Browns fans to bring up ancient championships, yet Steelers fans talking about the 70's was us all living in the past. Then again, I live amongst Browns fans every day, and I can't understand about 90% of what they do, so...

Steeler in Carolina
02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Maybe that was because the 1948 Browns were not in the NFL. They were in the All-America Football Conference. The Browns were not in the NFL until 1950.

Steeler in Carolina
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
By the way, here's the story:

he 1940s and Pro Football's Other Undefeated Teams

1948 Cleveland Browns and 1942 Chicago Bears

You won't find it in the NFL Record and Fact Book but there was another team that like the 1972 Miami Dolphins, experienced a perfect season, undefeated and untied through regular and post-season play. The Cleveland Browns, then members of the All-America Football Conference finished 15-0 in 1948. Two years later the AAFC folded and the Browns became members of the NFL.

While the NFL does recognize the records of the American Football League (1960-1969), it does not include AAFC marks in its record keeping.

1948 Cleveland Browns
The Browns, coached by Paul Brown, after whom the team was named, dominated the AAFC all four years by compiling a 52-4-3 record and winning all four league championships. But they reached their zenith in 1948 when they marched through 14 regular season games and the AAFC championship without a blemish.

The perfect season came in the middle of a 29-game unbeaten string that began in October 1947 and continued until October 1949. By 1949, even Browns followers were so weary of constant and even predictable victory celebrations, they simply stopped coming to the games. Thus the Browns, because of their overwhelming domination, contributed to the demise of the AAFC.

No one team ever seriously challenged the Browns but the San Francisco 49ers, also destined to wind up in the NFL, came the closest. They defeated the Browns in 1946 and again in 1949 and came close twice in the flawless 1948 season.

Both teams were 10-0 when they met in Cleveland before 82,769, the largest crowd in pro football history up to that time. Cleveland won 14-7 and had an even closer call two weeks later in San Francisco in a 31-28 squeaker.

The Chicago Bears sailed through the 1942 NFL schedule undefeated and untied. The reigning NFL champs, the Bears, were favorites to win their third consecutive title when they met the Washington Redskins in the 1942 Championship game. However, the Redskins defense was up to the task and surprised the Bears 14-6. The Redskin victory had an extra measure of satisfaction, since it was the same Bears team that two years earlier humiliated Washington 73-0 in the 1940 title game.

Having an undefeated and untied regular season, only to lose in the championship game, was not a new experience for the Bears. In 1934, the New York Giants upset the 13-0 Bears were upset 30-13 in the championship game.

j-dawg
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Dude, that was 60 years ago, and pro football was VERY different back then. I never could understand while it was always okay for Browns fans to bring up ancient championships, yet Steelers fans talking about the 70's was us all living in the past. Then again, I live amongst Browns fans every day, and I can't understand about 90% of what they do, so...

come on, if the steelers had nearly the amount of success the browns had during the forties, fifties, and early sixties YOU KNOW you'd want folks to recognize. I love the history of the game just as much as the present. i've talked about this before, the steelers have a great history and it's celebrated. 60 years from now steelers fans will still honor the dynasty of the seventies. i'm surprised you can't understand a browns fan doing the same for his team.

revefsreleets
02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
There is just one teeny, tiny little bit of difference. The Steelers were awful forever, then they achieved greatness, and they have managed to at least stay close to that level ever since.

The Browns were once great many, many moons ago. Then they fell far from grace and have never even approached anything like that level of accomplishment since.

No offense, but I've had enough of the Browns fans nonsense. I have to hear it every day. Those glory days are long, long, LONG gone, and there is very little reason to believe that anything will ever change. We are heading into 43 SB's in a row with no Browns teams even making the game, let alone winning it.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I definatly understand where you are coming from. But think about it, ESPN has to take the NFL's stance on it or potentially lose out on Sunday Night Football. The NFL's stance is that anything that happened in the AAFC doesn't count.

They say it's because when they folded and the NFL took in the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, and San Fransisco 49ers the AAFC didn't hand over their record books, therefore leaving the NFL with no way of verifying anything that happened before those teams joined the NFL.

I think it's more because at the time the Browns were better than any current NFL team and the NFL didn't want people to know that the AAFC's teams could rival the NFL's teams before they joined the NFL.

Rhee Rhee
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
w/e... dolphins... i think going undefeated is just like bad luck...

the dolphins went 1-15... ouch... i hope they go 0-16 so they can be the only team in NFL history to go 16-0 and 0-16...

Borski
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
w/e... dolphins... i think going undefeated is just like bad luck...

the dolphins went 1-15... ouch... i hope they go 0-16 so they can be the only team in NFL history to go 16-0 and 0-16...

I wouldn't wish that on any team.....well, maybe the patriots, but other then that....

Borski
02-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I was listening to espn radio today and i kept hearing how miami is the only team in football history to have EVER gone undefeated..

"no other team in football history has done it, not in the eighties, the sixties, fifties, forties... no other team except the 1972 Dolphins"

:banging: try the 1948 Cleveland Browns.. 15-0

In light of yesterdays game, I think it's a huge disrespect that this team is not recognized in the history of the game for what they accomplished.

I'll agree with that, if he was more specific and said something like:

"no other team besides the '72 dolphins has gone undefeated and won the super bowl"

it would be acceptable.
But because he said: "no other team in football history has done it, not in the eighties, the sixties, fifties, forties... no other team except the 1972 Dolphins" he needs to check his facts before going into stats he doesn't know about.

j-dawg
02-06-2008, 07:54 AM
There is just one teeny, tiny little bit of difference. The Steelers were awful forever, then they achieved greatness, and they have managed to at least stay close to that level ever since.

The Browns were once great many, many moons ago. Then they fell far from grace and have never even approached anything like that level of accomplishment since.

No offense, but I've had enough of the Browns fans nonsense. I have to hear it every day. Those glory days are long, long, LONG gone, and there is very little reason to believe that anything will ever change. We are heading into 43 SB's in a row with no Browns teams even making the game, let alone winning it.

the Browns have had some great teams since their entrance into the NFL.... sure, they haven't been to the super bowl, but there've been Browns teams that have gone to the conference championship game. It's not like the Browns have a historical double digit Win/Loss record to any of their opponets, including the Steelers. When I was a kid I watched some great Browns games, some tough losses, but I don't remember them being as horrible as you think to believe. The amount of Browns who made the pro-bowl this year supports my thoughts that there's some great football games to come.