PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Special Teams (not so special)

DACEB
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Can anyone help me out with listing our STs starters on kickoff & kick coverage units?

This is an area of concern and I was wondering who the starters were this past season.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
First, Anthony Smith will be on the coverage teams. That's for sure.

Timmons and Woodley may also take time on KO Coverage and if Russell is on the team next season, which I anticipate he will be, he'll be covering kicks as well.

lilyoder6
02-05-2008, 11:23 AM
well i bet the 4 cb and down will be on there.. back up safeties, back up wr's, etc.. woodly might not be on there as much since he'll prob be the starter.

ajs8207
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm very surprised the special teams coach wasn't fired.

sherlock
02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
NFL newbie question coming up!...
Am I right that players on the ST`s apart from kickers and punters also play in different positions during a game?

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2008, 12:52 PM
NFL newbie question coming up!...
Am I right that players on the ST`s apart from kickers and punters also play in different positions during a game?

It depends. Your starting Receivers and running backs won't be on special teams usually. It tends to be your second string Linebackers, 3rd string Running backs and 2nd or 3rd string (depth on Roster) Defensive backs. With some Linemen in on Punts and Punt Returns. Tight ends also find themselves on Special Teams sometimes and then there are guys on the 53 man roster that can play other positions, but find themselves in the role of Special Team Player for almost their entire carreer.

sherlock
02-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Great stuff..thanks very much Dino! :thumbsup:
I really learn alot on this forum.
I`ve watched all the Steelers videos on nfl.com(it`s all I have really) many times and there were many instances of the returner slicing through the Steelers ST like butter.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, our coverage was way below average this year. Its hard to put your starters on the coverage team because of the collisions, guys tend to get banged up, and you don't want your starting safety or starting cornerback going down with an injury on special teams.

DACEB
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, but I was really looking for who were the actual STs starters this past season on kickoff and kick coverage units.

Maybe it's just me but I could'nt locate it at Steelers.com.

19ward86
02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
most starters take place on our ST starting depth chart, people like polamalu and james harrison play there.

lilyoder6
02-05-2008, 03:42 PM
i don't think that there is really a depth chart for the ST.. they go thru the week and who ever does better on cov will be on there.. there were many players in and out of the ST evry week

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Anothy Smith, Woodley, Timmons were all on coverage this year. so was Russell and Davis when they were suited up. I don't think Troy P played on ST this season, because of his nagging injuries.

Harrison did play when we had to "address" the coverage, in fact, he forced a fumble in the Monday night game on a punt.

Colclough was on coverage until we signed Anthony Madison, also Rossum was on the coverage team.

I think another linebacker was on there too. Harrison, Arnold.

Rhee Rhee
02-06-2008, 01:35 AM
anthony smith played on ST?

i can't remember one time he made a ST tackle... maybe couldn't get down the field in time..:sofunny:

Galax Steeler
02-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Timmons played great on special teams he was in on alot of plays.

DACEB
02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
From the info I looked up, Carey Davis led the team in STs tackles. I know Russell also played well on STs when he was suited up to play, which I believe was only 2 games not counting preseason (in which he and Davis excelled on STs).

Does Ced Wilson play on STs, besides the few times he returned punts.

I guess my point is, those that don't start and are'nt contributing on STs don't deserve a roster spot IMO. I thought STs was the area players came up and proved themselves to get on the field, where are these guys that are going balls to the wall to prove they deserve to be on the field.

Obviously, to me, Carey Davis wants to be part of this team, and when given the opportunity Russell has shown that also. Who are the others that have displayed the same enthusiasm?

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Remeber Jason Seehourn (however you spell his name) he was a D-back for the Giants, starting safety. he begged to be allowed to return kicks, he was given the job, and got hurt. Most starters don't go on special teams for that reason. You don't want a guy like Troy P, Ike Taylor, Cedric Wilson (although he busted 07) getting banged up trying to cover a punt.

Arnold Harrison, I'm pretty sure he's been playing on ST for a couple seasons.

lilyoder6
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
i think tyrone carter was on the st cov as well.. and maybe wille reid

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Carter was...Ried was only when he suited up on game day.