PDA

View Full Version : Two years ago today - February 5, 2006

BlastFurnace
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
The day our Steelers won their 5th ring. My wife told me it was the happiest she has ever seen me...excluding our wedding day and the birth of our 3 kids.

I may have to go home tonight and watch the game. I saw all 5 of the games, but the one 2 years ago today meant the most to me because the 70's spoiled me and I wasn't sure if I'd see another one after waiting 26 years.

Ben will get us another ring....but he's going to need some help. I just believe that with him and Tomlin, that it won't be another 26 years before we see another one.

Lord Stiller
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
The day our Steelers won their 5th ring. My wife told me it was the happiest she has ever seen me...excluding our wedding day and the birth of our 3 kids.

I may have to go home tonight and watch the game. I saw all 5 of the games, but the one 2 years ago today meant the most to me because the 70's spoiled me and I wasn't sure if I'd see another one after waiting 26 years.

Ben will get us another ring....but he's going to need some help. I just believe that with him and Tomlin, that it won't be another 26 years before we see another one.

Good idea. I have all the playoff games and the SB on dvd and also the official NFL films dvd for the enitre season which is EXCELLENT

Ben will definitely get us another ring, he is a true leader and classy guy. Hopefully we win another SB before Ward retires. Even though Ward complains to the media too much, he plays his butt off every game and wears his heart on his sleeve

steelergirl07
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Last night on the NFL network they had America's Game: The 2005 Steelers. It was so awesome to relive it. That show is great, you should watch it if you can. They might have it on DVD. Not to sure.

BlastFurnace
02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Last night on the NFL network they had America's Game: The 2005 Steelers. It was so awesome to relive it. That show is great, you should watch it if you can. They might have it on DVD. Not to sure.

It's saved on my DVR and is marked to never be erased.

BlastFurnace
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Good idea. I have all the playoff games and the SB on dvd and also the official NFL films dvd for the enitre season which is EXCELLENT

Ben will definitely get us another ring, he is a true leader and classy guy. Hopefully we win another SB before Ward retires. Even though Ward complains to the media too much, he plays his butt off every game and wears his heart on his sleeve

I have the entire season on DVD, the playoff games, the pre-game SB, and the post game coverage. It is incredible. One of these days...perhaps even this offseason...I may have to watch a game per weekend to get my football "fix" satisfied.

Lord Stiller
02-05-2008, 01:22 PM

This is the DVD I have which is very well done (http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl-Pittsburgh-Championship/dp/B000E5N6MK/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202239237&sr=8-1)

I love seeing the sideline stuff like when Cowher went to yell at Silverback about a special teams penalty and all Harrison said was "$h!t happens" and also Polamalu asking to take it "over the top" if they overturned Big Ben's TD

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
....Steelers Fever 99% of its Bengal Trolls.

steelergirl07
02-05-2008, 02:04 PM
This is the DVD I have which is very well done (http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl-Pittsburgh-Championship/dp/B000E5N6MK/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202239237&sr=8-1)

I love seeing the sideline stuff like when Cowher went to yell at Silverback about a special teams penalty and all Harrison said was "$h!t happens" and also Polamalu asking to take it "over the top" if they overturned Big Ben's TD

Everytime I go to Borders, I'm tempted to get that DVD. I will get it when I have some extra cash.

I felt like such a sap last night. I started to tear up when watching what the team did for Bettis (using his ND jersey, letting him run out alone. etc.). I'm such a girl sometimes.

HometownGal
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I have both the "Steelers Road to XL - post season Collector's Edition" and the "Super Bowl XL Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers Special Edition" DVD's. Both are excellent and I, too, tear up when I watch them remembering what a helluva ride that season was for us Steelers fans! :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
This day two years ago, I was just getting back into town from the Drive home from Pittsburgh to Arkansas. It was the greatest drive of my life. The celebration in the city after the win, the snow in the streets as we all danced and partied after the win. The endless chanting of "Here we Go" "Pittsburgh Just WON the Super Bowl"

I'll be watching the playoff games and the SB again tonight...hell yeah!

alittlejazzbird
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Starting with last year, I have made the watching of Super Bowl XL an annual tradition, which will end only when we win the next one!

I watched it again last night, pregame, game, all the commercials, postgame, and about an hour's worth of WTAE's local coverage, thanks to a friend's taping of it for me. I had tears in my eyes from start to finish, the same lump in the pit of my stomach at halftime, and that same feeling of elated disbelief when Hines caught Randle El's beauty of a pass - I remember thinking, we just might actually WIN this thing!!!!!

I cried like a baby all over again as they showed Cowher on the sidelines as the clock wound down, and jumped up and down like a kid at Christmas as WTAE showed footage of people celebrating on the South Side and in Oakland. I remember thinking with so much pride, that's my hometown and those are my Steelers.

I remember vividly how badly I wanted to be there that night and on Tuesday for the parade (which I watched on my computer at lunchtime, with tears of joy rolling down my face the entire time).

Here's the thing I didn't remember so much, and I wonder how many people either have forgotten or didn't really pay much attention. Despite Ben's horrible passer rating, he made most of the key plays that kept important drives alive. That beautiful pass to Hines on 3rd and 28 - I had forgotten how he carefully looked for the line of scrimmage before he threw the ball, so that he didn't go across it - that's an awful lot of poise for a second year quarterback in the biggest game of his life. And there were several key scrambles to convert third downs and keep drives alive, not to mention his touchdown run.

Many non-Steeler fans write off Ben's performance as another part of a Super Bowl of questionable caliber and even more questionable officiating. Upon further review, I would take issue with that. If you take Ben's performance as a whole (and I'm not excusing the interceptions), he did a lot to help his team in that game.

And as to the critics who said it was a terrible Super Bowl, here's another thing I noticed....we all know the Steelers came out tight and nervous at the beginning of that game, and didn't get a first down until the second quarter. Everyone is talking about how the Pats/Giants was the best Super Bowl ever, and yet not a whole heck of a lot happened in that game until the fourth quarter. Neither team was exactly setting the world on fire offensively. I think the raves for Sunday's game have more to do with the Pats' "immortality denied" and the fact that the Giants were such underdogs going in, than it has to do with how brilliantly either team executed. Brady played the worst game I've seen from him in forever, and Eli didn't really catch fire until those two touchdown drives late in the game. Hines's catch of Randle El's pass didn't have the "how did he do that" factor that David Tyree's had, but the Steelers' gadget play was executed perfectly and deserves a place right up there with the most beautiful scores in Super Bowl history, in my opinion.

It was fun to re-live the craziness of that night, but seeing as how I'm planning to discontinue the tradition once we win the next one, I hope I don't have to do it too many more times!

srk173
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I cant believe your wedding day was happier than a steelers superbowl.

CanadianSteel
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I have both the "Steelers Road to XL - post season Collector's Edition" and the "Super Bowl XL Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers Special Edition" DVD's. Both are excellent and I, too, tear up when I watch them remembering what a helluva ride that season was for us Steelers fans! :tt02:

I have both of these as each offers a great perspective. One has all the playoff games from start to finish, with the Steeler radio team doing the play by play.
The other is a recap of the whole season as well as playoffs.

I also watched the America's game again last night and that is by far the best thing about the NFL Network. The did a fanatastic job wiht the naration and getting players comments and such. Porter just cracks me up on the 2005.

And for the record it is Hines that gets me chocked up every time, after loosing to Pats * and speaking about Bettis deserves to be a champion.

The 70's America games are also awesome to get the perspective of the players that went thru such good times. I believe you can buy all the Steeler america's game episodes on one DVD which is next for my collection.

History of the Steelers is also good..... and nice to watch during the offseason,,,

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM

HA HA HA!! GOOD CALL!!

Now if you got married during the Superbowl Win, that would be something :cheers:

BlastFurnace
02-05-2008, 04:40 PM

LOL...believe it or not...it was.

SteelCityMan786
02-05-2008, 05:32 PM

I could not stop crying that day when they won it 2 years ago.

2 Year ago today, one of my biggest childhood dreams came true.

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I also watched the America's game again last night and that is by far the best thing about the NFL Network. The did a fanatastic job wiht the naration and getting players comments and such. Porter just cracks me up on the 2005.

The 70's America games are also awesome to get the perspective of the players that went thru such good times. I believe you can buy all the Steeler america's game episodes on one DVD which is next for my collection.

The end of the 2005 Steelers America's Game is bittersweet as over the closing credits they note Cowher retired after the next season and Porter was released.

The 70s Steelers America's Game videos are epic - my favorite is the 75 Steelers (the greatest Steelers SB champ of them all) with Wagner, White & Swann - Dwight White on the Browns game that season - "you're gonna have a bad day today - you can take this ass whipping any way you want, but you're gonna take it.":sofunny:

All 5 available on Amazon for $28.99 (or download for $1.99 each on Amazon or ITunes) with extras like this (extras only on DVD)

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801413a7

TeeJay
02-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I have both of these as each offers a great perspective. One has all the playoff games from start to finish, with the Steeler radio team doing the play by play.
The other is a recap of the whole season as well as playoffs.

And for the record it is Hines that gets me chocked up every time, after loosing to Pats * and speaking about Bettis deserves to be a champion.

History of the Steelers is also good..... and nice to watch during the offseason,,,

Gotta love ?The Complete History? The Steelers, 1933 to 1994?Although I guess they should have waited another year and included the 05/06 season before making it! :dang:

The Steelers Immortals segments were fantastic. A really honest interview from Terry Bradshaw (and his reception when he returned to Pittsburgh in '02 made the hairs on my neck stand up); Bill Cowher smiling, shouting, smiling, then shouting some more?and of course The Bus. Just glad I?ve still got the second part of disc two to go.:tt02:

So Sundays game was great, but only cause the Giants managed to do what everyone was hoping for???if the scores had been reversed I doubt people would remember the game, just the fact that 19 ? 0 is now a patented score line. *shudders*.. Thank you G-Men. I think you just saved the world.:cheers:

Greatest ever Super Bowl?hands down, without a doubt? XIII.:helmet:

As for 2 years ago.......I guess about now, I was just about ready for some sleep .......2 days after that game! It's amazing how easy it is to get through a days work having been up for 48 hours. Who needs coffee.......a Steeler Super Bowl win will keep you going for ages baby! :tt02:

Rhee Rhee
02-06-2008, 12:33 AM

exactly the same one i have... i seriously teared in the very beggining when it showed hines tearing... very deep... great DVD... i encourage anyone to buy it... if u see it buy it and watch it... literally the best... and it has an extra of like the entire indy playoff game... o boy was it scary... never watched a more nerve racking dvd EVER

i miss all those gadget plays...

Galax Steeler
02-06-2008, 03:51 AM
I loved it when ben burnt champ baily in the corner of the endzone for a touchdown.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
"who was that?" Ben
"It was champ!" Charlie
"Champ!" Ben with a big smile

Greatness.

Lord Stiller
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
"who was that?" Ben
"It was champ!" Charlie
"Champ!" Ben with a big smile

Greatness.

The funny part was hearing Maddox and Arians on the sidelines.

Maddox walks over and in a deep retarded sounding voice says "Just what we wanted!" - he sounded so stupid

Then after everybody talked about the play, Arians walks over and babbles some crap

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Also enjoyed the pass to ward when ben says "When I threw it I was sure it was going to get picked" pretty sure that was from the Broncos game too.

Ben and Charlie have a really good relationship. That's nice to ssee.

CanadianSteel
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
The end of the 2005 Steelers America's Game is bittersweet as over the closing credits they note Cowher retired after the next season and Porter was released.

The 70s Steelers America's Game videos are epic - my favorite is the 75 Steelers (the greatest Steelers SB champ of them all) with Wagner, White & Swann - Dwight White on the Browns game that season - "you're gonna have a bad day today - you can take this ass whipping any way you want, but you're gonna take it.":sofunny:

All 5 available on Amazon for $28.99 (or download for $1.99 each on Amazon or ITunes) with extras like this (extras only on DVD)

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801413a7

Yep bittersweet for sure at the end and shows you how quickly things can change in todays NFL. Thanks for the info on the set, will check it out as I need to add this to my collection.

Dwite White was awesone with his commenatrries, and loved Porter as well.
"Once again I got to play the bad guy..... hahaha...."
After winning XL " I never kissed so many dudes in my life......."

Also like the perspective of Lynn Swann, can't remeber which year he narrated. Although I was young then it sure makes me appreciate the amount of abuse those receivers took back then. Half the pansy receivers that play today just simply would not have lasted with those rules.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
"Who Dey"

"We Dey"

:tt02:

steelpride12
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Ahh the superbowl winn......The Parker TD to truly impress Bettis...............Randell El's PERFECT throw......the trophyyy!
GO STILLERS!

SteelersMongol
02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
... All 5 available on Amazon for $28.99 (or download for $1.99 each on Amazon or ITunes) with extras like this (extras only on DVD)

That's what I want 2 buy. I've seen the 2005 one on youtube, and yes I admit it, that I had tears in my eyes when they showed Bettis's entrance 4 the SB.

Couple months ago I received the DVDs of the 4 playoff games for the 2005 season. It was nice. I loved it. :bouncy:

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Is that the same DVD that they show ever single heart break loss up to 05...starting with the Chargers, then Dallas, then Denver, Then NE and then NE again...

That gives me chills, cause I remember every moment...and it does keep you humble when you remember the hard times...something other fans around the league need to keep in mind...Of coarse, we do have FIVE Rings....something the other fans need to keep in mind as well when they talk smack.

alittlejazzbird
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z rates Super Bowl XL as the worst of the worst:

The FEARSOME F's

XL (2006) Steelers 21, Seahawks 10 -- Both quarterbacks awful. Only strong memory was the terrible officiating. Signs everywhere proclaimed it 40th Anniversary. I got into at least 50 arguments. Super Bowl 40 is not a 40th Anniversary, I explained. Just as the day of your wedding is not the first anniversary. The only argument I got was, "We've made the signs already."

I just HATE that it will always be remembered as a poorly played, horribly officiated game, almost like the Steelers don't even deserve to be thought of as champs.

On a more positive note, he ranked Super Bowl XIV as the second best (now that XLII is according to him the best thing ever ever ever):

No. 2, XIV (1980) Steelers 31, Rams 19 -- A game that held great personal appeal. A sociological study, The last hurrah of a great dynasty. The Steel Curtain starting to show a little age, a little tiredness, and then the feisty Rams smacking it to them on the ground, which people never did. And L.A. is driving for the kill when Jack Lambert drifts way back in the zone and picks one off, and then Terry Bradshaw hits John Stallworth for 73 yards, and the rebellion has been quelled. For the mighty Steel Curtain, darkness followed.

BlastFurnace
02-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z rates Super Bowl XL as the worst of the worst:

The FEARSOME F's

I just HATE that it will always be remembered as a poorly played, horribly officiated game, almost like the Steelers don't even deserve to be thought of as champs.

On a more positive note, he ranked Super Bowl XIV as the second best (now that XLII is according to him the best thing ever ever ever):

Funny how our aging veteran defense came up big and won us a 4th title...while the Greatest Team in the History of the NFL had an aging defense that couldn't close it out last weekend.

Also, in regards to SB 40...if Dr. Z and other are going to continually scrutinize the game and in a backhanded way, discredit us from winning the game....how many NE games do we need to look at over the years with the same magnifying glass? Bottom line, the Steelers are said to have stunk that game because Ben short armed a throw to a wide open Wilson in the end zone. Had he lofted the ball up, it's 21-3 and game over.

I can think of games that were far worse SB's than that game...such as nearly every Denver SB prior to 1997, Miami vs San Fran in 1984, Chicago vs. New England in 1985, etc.

OX1947
02-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Funny how our aging veteran defense came up big and won us a 4th title...while the Greatest Team in the History of the NFL had an aging defense that couldn't close it out last weekend.

Also, in regards to SB 40...if Dr. Z and other are going to continually scrutinize the game and in a backhanded way, discredit us from winning the game....how many NE games do we need to look at over the years with the same magnifying glass? Bottom line, the Steelers are said to have stunk that game because Ben short armed a throw to a wide open Wilson in the end zone. Had he lofted the ball up, it's 21-3 and game over.

I can think of games that were far worse SB's than that game...such as nearly every Denver SB prior to 1997, Miami vs San Fran in 1984, Chicago vs. New England in 1985, etc.

Yah, but we would have never seen one of the prettiest plays in Super Bowl History, Randle El to Ward, game, set, MATCH, OUT!

memphissteelergirl
02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Ahh...good times!! :tt02: I'm gonna have to watch my "America's Game" DVD tonight!

TeeJay
02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Just a heads up and a big thanks to everyone for listing those DVDs. Am now eagerly awaiting both the NFL America's Game - The Super Bowl Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers Collection, and Super Bowl XL Steelers Championship DVD.:cheers:

So basically no going out for the rest of this month :jawdrop:..................but it's definitely gonna be worth it! :tt02: :thumbsup:

And just got my Bradshaw 12 jersey..........................man that looks sweet. For some one who's lucky number is 12, seeing as I was born on the 12th of the 12th '66, that's karma!

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Great points, especially the "lofted the ball" that game was so close to being closed out, game set match and becoming about the commercials for non-steelers fans...

Also, how does the game with 2 records, longest TD Run in a Superbowl, and longest INT return...oh and only WR to throw a TD pass in a Superbowl become "one of the worst" and "not memorable"

Biased against the Steelers...bottom freaking line.

shevdog
02-10-2008, 05:58 PM
A great moment in the history of our beloved city of Pittsburgh!!!!!

Can't wait to go to my next Super Bowl parade in less than a year!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I can't wait to go to my first ever.

CanadianSteel
02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Just a heads up and a big thanks to everyone for listing those DVDs. Am now eagerly awaiting both the NFL America's Game - The Super Bowl Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers Collection, and Super Bowl XL Steelers Championship DVD.:cheers:

So basically no going out for the rest of this month :jawdrop:..................but it's definitely gonna be worth it! :tt02: :thumbsup:

And just got my Bradshaw 12 jersey..........................man that looks sweet. For some one who's lucky number is 12, seeing as I was born on the 12th of the 12th '66, that's karma!

Well Nice to know I share the same birthday with another Steelerfan. I was born 12th of the 12th in 1969. So I am a bit younger, and I suppose that makes you a bit wiser.
:smile: