PDA

View Full Version : Can we beat the Pats in '08???

Stlr4ever
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I think we can if coach Tomlin can add all the missing elements to the team: better than average OLinemen; two speedy CBs; two defensive ends like Strahan and Osi.
Adding a RB similar to Brandon Jacobs would be nice too.
Of course, the team will have to play at a very hight level without mistakes.
It makes me sick to think we have been 1-5 or 1-6 in the last few years.

fansince'76
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
A bit early....

RoethlisBURGHer
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
We have two speedy CB's in Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden. The problem wasn't the speed of the CB's, but the mistakes of FS Anthony Smith. He was to provide help over-the-top on Moss, but bit multiple times on play-action and the pump fake.

Last I checked, we were running the 3-4 and not the 4-3 next year. In the 3-4, the ends tie up blockers so the LB's can slip in and get the sacks. Umenyoria and Strahan would be outside linebackers in our system. We already have a beast at ROLB in Harrison, and next year LaMarr Woodley will be replacing Clark Haggans at LOLB. I think our OLB pass rush will be better next year.

I agree with the o-line situation. We need a center who can physically impose his will upon the defensive line. Mahan is not capable of doing that. Losing Alan Faneca is going to hurt, he was our best o-lineman all year. We are going to lose at least one tackle to free agency also.

I think we can find a guy late in the draft like Brandon Jacobs. Everyone wants to have a guy that's just like Jerome Bettis, but we aren't going to find another Jerome Bettis. We need a guy who can make some holes and punish defenders. A guy who can wear them down. It would be great, take some wear off of Willie Parker and weaken the defense so Parker can get some long runs.

We could have beaten the Patriots this year if Anthony Smith was following his assignment and if we hadn't lost Aaron Smith.

lilyoder6
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
yeah, i think we need to cut some carries on willie next yr.. he had the most carries in the league b4 breaking his leg.. it would be nice to get another rb who can run well and give willie more than 1 or 2 play rest.

HometownGal
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
This one is too early to call. The Pats* are going to lose a few key players to FA, imho, and the Steelers are going to be restructuring and continuing the rebuilding. I'll put this one on the backburner until after the preseason.

steelpride12
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
It all depends on how the Patriots manage their team during the offseason.
The Pats could lose many key players and have an awful season next year of Brady could surprise everyone and play perfect with a poor team surrounding him so i say its way to early to call!

Hines0wnz
02-05-2008, 07:23 PM
A bit early....

This one is too early to call. The Pats* are going to lose a few key players to FA, imho, and the Steelers are going to be restructuring and continuing the rebuilding. I'll put this one on the backburner until after the preseason.

I agree, its way too early.

Rhee Rhee
02-06-2008, 01:47 AM
i dont wanna relive another sticking up for anthony smith thread...

Borski
02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
yeah, i think we need to cut some carries on willie next yr.. he had the most carries in the league b4 breaking his leg.. it would be nice to get another rb who can run well and give willie more than 1 or 2 play rest.

We will just need to get a good back up period, don't get me wrong I am a huge willie fan, but with that broken leg (which I am fairly sure he will recover fine....but just in case...) we need to have a backup option if it doesn't heal right.

Quasar
02-06-2008, 01:58 AM
A bit early....
Not for me. I try to pick a road game where I can see them each season. I caught them at Arizona on Sep. 30th this past season. But they aren't coming any further west than St. Louis in 2008. I have a sister-in-law who lives in Massachusetts, so I am waiting for the schedule to come out, so I can take my wife to see her sister- and so I can see the Steelers visit the Patriots. :tt02:

lilyoder6
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
i think we should at least wait and see when we actually play them to start talking about beating them if u wanna talk early.. so we could see what week, and when, etc.. then see what the draft tells us, and then the end of FA

alittlejazzbird
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Pretty early to be thinking of this now, I agree....however, I will say that there's one very important thing to come out of this Super Bowl: no team will ever be intimidated by the Pats again. The mystique is officially dead, and I fully expect the Steelers to approach next year's meeting as nothing more than the next game on their (unbelievably difficult) schedule.

Probably doesn't matter, though....based on this past season's results (which we all know doesn't necessarily indicate future performance), next season they have the most laughably creampuff schedule I've ever seen. The Steelers are the only team on their schedule who finished this season over .500, so I think it's safe to say the Pats will finish next season with a winning record.