PDA

View Full Version : can the eagles keep winning.....

tony hipchest
10-26-2005, 05:44 PM
.....with just passing the ball? mcnabb is hurt yet more active in the pocket than any qb, -70% of the plays. this is definitely the west coast offense in its truest form. until they start getting beat i think they will continue to use this style of offense. its what the patriots used to beat the steelers in the 4th quarter this year and has worked for the eagles in past games.

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 06:30 PM
The WCO, when run properly, is just like having a running game. You just throw short passes instead of lining up and handing the rock off. They can pull it off as long as Westbrook is the RB...he's an excellent pass receiving RB.

tony hipchest
10-26-2005, 07:07 PM
definitely shows westbrooks value to the team. i wonder, though, if the eagles look at a pretty much healthy duce on the steelers sidelines and think "if only....."

Motley Nate
10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
The WCO, when run properly, is just like having a running game. You just throw short passes instead of lining up and handing the rock off. They can pull it off as long as Westbrook is the RB...he's an excellent pass receiving RB.
Well put, the WCO is just a short passing game with the sequential deep throw. Watters and Craig were both previous day versions of Westbrook. Fully capable of running the ball but excellent receivers.

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 07:45 PM
definitely shows westbrooks value to the team. i wonder, though, if the eagles look at a pretty much healthy duce on the steelers sidelines and think "if only....."

No. The Eagles look at the Steelers bench and see "Glass Joe" and laugh...they knew what they were giving up and what we were getting...

Livinginthe past
10-27-2005, 01:13 AM
The Eagles can keep winning due to the fact that the NFC is weaker than the AFC - but their style of play makes for ugly football.

In some ways they are the anti-Steelers - over reliance on the pass as a means of gaining short yardage.

Luckily for the Eagles they have one of the finest defensive units in the NFL and an excellent QB - and it is this that wins them games.

I happen to think that teams like the Steelers are more versatile because, in theory, if you shut down their running game - then they can go to a plan B and let the QB throw a little more to spread out the opposition D.

However, if you have all your eggs in the West Coast basket - then I think it unlikely that a team will resort to a plan B of 'power-running' should their plan A not be working- especially if, like the Eagles, you dont have a back capable of carrying that sort of load.

To sum up - I believe it is the superior talent and weaker opposition that makes the Eagles a succesful team - their offensive style is more of a handicap than an aid to success.

NM

Iron City Hangover
10-27-2005, 05:59 AM
McNabb being hurt with the "sports hernia" is a hamper to the WCO. Throwing the ball 42 times a game (his current average attempts per game) is great for stats for fantasy football owners but bad for his condition. Mike McMahon and Koy Detmer better warm up.