PDA

View Full Version : The best team not to win the Super Bowl

Quasar
02-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Was it this year's Patriots? I still say the 1976 Steelers were the best team to not win the Super Bowl. After starting 1-4, the media wrote them off. But they rattled off 9 straight wins, including 5 shutouts, and won the division. After beating the Baltimore Colts in the first round of the playoffs, they met up with the 14-1 Oakland Raiders. But both Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were out for that game, and Oakland won.

Of course, the 2004 Steelers would have to rank up there too. What do you guys say?

Michael Keller
02-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Was it this year's Patriots? I still say the 1976 Steelers were the best team to not win the Super Bowl. After starting 1-4, the media wrote them off. But they rattled off 9 straight wins, including 5 shutouts, and won the division. After beating the Baltimore Colts in the first round of the playoffs, they met up with the 14-1 Oakland Raiders. But both Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were out for that game, and Oakland won.

Of course, the 2004 Steelers would have to rank up there too. What do you guys say?

Totally agree and many believe this was the best Steeler team ever. Franco and Blier got hurt late in the game aginst the Colts . Many felt they were in the game too long after the Steelers had the game clearly under control. Noll was heavily criticized for this .

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 06:51 AM

I would add that Frenchy Fuqua was out as well leaving the 4th string RB Reggie Harrison. And on top of that, they only allowed like 29 points over the last nine games. An average of a little over 3 points a game. DOMINANT!!!

Kittyfish
02-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I always took the phrase "best team not to win the SB" to mean the best team that actually played in the SB but didn't win. Of course, I could be wrong. In any case, any thoughts as to what the best team would be under my definition? I would be interested in your opinions - I'm always trying to learn.

Mosca
02-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I'd say that it is fair to say that the '76 team might be the best Steelers team, but that this year's Pats team might be the best team to not win the SB. They were insanely better than the rest of the league for a greater percentage of the season than the '76 Steelers were. You can't not count the first 5 games, and you can't use injuries to discount the loss in the playoffs. Over the entire season, this year's Pats might get that crown.

But let's also not forget that '98 Vikings team (Cunningham, Moss, Carter) that lost the NFC Championship game to the Falcons 30-27; they went 15-1 regular season (losing only to Tampa Bay, 27-24) and set a record for points scored, and were 6th in defense. That was a hell of a football team. Two field goals over 18 games away from matching the Pats of '07.

Rinkleroot
02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
The Pats have never had a team that came close to being as good as the 70's Steelers teams, the Giants showed they are pretenders and chumps.

PisnNapalm
02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
1976 Steelers... hands down.

revefsreleets
02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Outside the Steelers, a couple of those Bills teams were very, very good, and should have won their SB's.

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Outside the Steelers, a couple of those Bills teams were very, very good, and should have won their SB's.

Some of those Bills teams were tough...one of the top scoring offenses of all time and one NASTY D!!!! Smith, Bennett & Conlan....

Steeler in Carolina
02-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes, the Bills teams were good. Thurman Thomas losing his helmet was just a sign of things to come for those teams. Seems like they had a run of bad luck.

Borski
02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
The Patriots were the best cheaters to not win the super bowl.

BlastFurnace
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
18-0 doesn't lie. They were the best never to win the big game. It's sweet that they lost, but IMO, they were still the best team this season. Had Asante Samuel not dropped that INT, they would be looked upon as the best Single Season team ever.

tony hipchest
02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
18-0 doesn't lie. They were the best never to win the big game. It's sweet that they lost, but IMO, they were still the best team this season. Had Asante Samuel not dropped that INT, they would be looked upon as the best Single Season team ever.and i woulda looked at them as cheating frauds just like i did through their 1st 3 sb wins...

Atlanta Dan
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
18-0 doesn't lie. They were the best never to win the big game. It's sweet that they lost, but IMO, they were still the best team this season. Had Asante Samuel not dropped that INT, they would be looked upon as the best Single Season team ever.

They arguably were the best team when measured at the stage of getting to the big game - once they lost the big game it was then fair game to measure their body of work over the season against all the other teams that lost their last game of the season. Given how the Pats played after the Buffalo game in late November, the cracks in the foundation that showed over the last 2 months (notably a defense that slipped over the course of the season) support the conclusion several SB losers were arguably as good (78 Cowboys/83 Redskins/84 Dolphins/90 Bills).

And if there was debate how the Pats measured up to the 70s Steelers before Sunday's loss, combine that loss with the 76 Steelers being regarded as the pick of the 70s teams & I think the 76 Steelers clearly beat out the 07 Pats, as perhaps the 90 49ers among teams that did not make it to the SB.

The 07 Pats are the best team since free agency took hold in the mid-90s - no more than that.

I could not be happier the reputation of that team has crashed.

fansince'76
02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
and i woulda looked at them as cheating frauds just like i did through their 1st 3 sb wins...

Agreed - if they truly were heads-and-tails above the rest of the league, they should have been able to blow a 10-6 5th seed from what has recently been the decidedly weaker conference off the field in such a manner as to make the 49ers/Broncos 55-10 SB XXIV score seem close. And please spare me the "pacing" BS - the '89 49ers, not to mention the '85 Bears (among other TRULY great teams, not overhyped media sensations) had to both play 19 games as well.

revefsreleets
02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Again, Steelers aside, I think Tony mentioned that the '07 Pats would have had a helluva rough time with those Bills Super Bowl teams. They were better on both sides of the ball than the '07 Giants.

PisnNapalm
02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Pardon me but the 1976 Raiders would have chewed up the 2007 Pats and spit them out like a used Chicklet.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Could be the '85 Niners. They were basically the same group of guys as the '84 team that went 18-1, plus they added Jerry Rice in the offseason. Only that year, you had the '85 Bears demolishing everybody.

Don't get me wrong -- the Niners had a horrible start and only went something like 10-6 that season, so they didn't exactly PLAY like the best team not to win the Super Bowl. But then again, not playing your best is generally why good teams don't win the Super Bowl. They might have been the most talented not to.

But the 49ers got knocked out of the playoffs that year by the 85 Giants (not the 86 Giants SB winners, which smacked the 49ers around again the next season) and did not even get a chance to get beat up by the Bears again in the playoffs

Losing changes everything - the NFL Greatest Games series has one on SB XIII in which Charlie Waters whines at length as to how losing that game not only cost Dallas being substituted for the Steelers as the Team of the 70s but got numerous 70s Steelers in and kept numerous 70s Cowboys out of the HOF - excuses, excuses:sofunny: