PDA

View Full Version : steelers sign 2 players

19ward86
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
jarrad zabransky and matt trannon

matt trannon is a receiver who is 6'6" 230.

jarrad zabransky is a QB who played at boise state.

The Duke
02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
matt trannon is a receiver who is 6'6" 230.

there you go Ben, there's your tall receiver :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Steelers sign two
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Three weeks after Ben Roethlisberger publicly proclaimed he'd like a tall receiver in 2008, the Steelers acquired one.

Matt Trannon, a 6-foot-6 receiver who played at Michigan State, signed with the Steelers, as did quarterback Jared Zabransky of Boise State.

Trannon signed with the Arizona Cardinals last year as an undrafted rookie and was cut in training camp. He spent time on the practice squads of the Cardinals, Chiefs and Raiders last season. He weighs 235 pounds.

The Post-Gazette reported last week that Zabransky was on the verge of signing. He was an undrafted rookie with the Houston Texans and spent part of last season on their practice squad.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08037/855414-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Who couldn't hack it with the Cards, Raiders or Chiefs. But he's over 6'5, so that means he will automatically make the team and become "our Randy Moss". We all know every team needs one, the Patriots proved that last Sunday and the Steelers proved it back in 05. It's a must need. :cheer:

Anyways, definately going to give the kid a chance, but his resume is not something for me to get excited over. If he can show more consistency than Wilson or Washington, I'll be thrilled.

Steeler in Carolina
02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Hopefully Zabrinsky can learn the system and take over for Batch in 2009.

19ward86
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
i think trannon will get his shot in the preseason. the reason why most tall recievers dont make it in the NFL is because they dont have the break away speed to create separation.

steelpride12
02-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Hahah wow Ben's wish comes true a 6'6 receiver thats extremely tall even though he will be on more than practice squad.
I also like Zabrinsky who lead Boise State to an undefeated season with the win over Oklahoma with the amazing final play to win it all!

Edman
02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Who couldn't hack it with the Cards, Raiders or Chiefs.

Cards have Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Johnson.

I don't have any excuses for not cracking the Raider of Chief rosters, though.

lilyoder6
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
i hope this guy does work out, 6'6 and w/e his leaping abilities are would be nice as a # 3 or 4 wr.. i just hope he can learn the system quickly and has speed..

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
he's only here to push dallas baker for a practice squad spot.....move along people nothin to see here.....:coffee:

SteelersMongol
02-07-2008, 01:06 AM

Batch is still with us in 2009 though, right? :computer:

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 01:09 AM

You and me both.

MDSteel15
02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
he's only here to push dallas baker for a practice squad spot.....move along people nothin to see here.....:coffee:

Hopefuly it pushes Baker to excell and become our #3 or #4 WR :banana: :chicken:

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM

Timing is everything. Laughed myself into tears. Classic.

Galax Steeler
02-07-2008, 04:40 AM
Who couldn't hack it with the Cards, Raiders or Chiefs.

Cards have Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Johnson.

Thats the scary part about this guy.

r1stillerman
02-07-2008, 04:43 AM

I don't think he'll stick around too long, at least I hope not, throws too many interceptions. One game against the Sooners does not make an NFL QB.

stlrtruck
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM

M-O-P sometimes you just put things in such a different perspective it brings a needed smile and chuckle.

Steel Pit
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Good stuff Duke.

This WR signing reminds me of this: When I was a kid in the 1970's, I always wanted a pair of those top of the line Converse All-Stars athletice shoes but my mother always bought me either the Pro Keds or some other $2.00 pair of canvas tennis shoes commonly known as "SLIP AND SLIDES".

vasteeler
02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Good stuff Duke.

This WR signing reminds me of this: When I was a kid in the 1970's, I always wanted a pair of those top of the line Converse All-Stars athletice shoes but my mother always bought me either the Pro Keds or some other $2.00 pair of canvas tennis shoes commonly known as "SLIP AND SLIDES".

yeah when i was kid we called them bo-bo's

The_WARDen
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Who couldn't hack it with the Cards, Raiders or Chiefs. But he's over 6'5, so that means he will automatically make the team and become "our Randy Moss". We all know every team needs one, the Patriots proved that last Sunday and the Steelers proved it back in 05. It's a must need. :cheer:

Anyways, definately going to give the kid a chance, but his resume is not something for me to get excited over. If he can show more consistency than Wilson or Washington, I'll be thrilled.

It didn't hurt the Giants. I guess by your logic, they proved that you do need one.
:coffee:

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
It didn't hurt the Giants. I guess by your logic, they proved that you do need one.
:coffee:

Yeah, I heard Meshawn Johnson tell the world that it was a huge mistake that we let Plaxico walk. I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I saw Randle El connect to Hines during XL. I was sitting there and cursing the Rooney's after Randle El pulled in that TD pass.

All I heard the day after XL was that we need a tall WR. It seemed like every Steeler fan was calling for a tall WR. It was amazing.

We all know 6'6 WRs are automatically bound for Canton. Get it done Rooney's, don't be cheap!!! Dump Arians, Parker stinks...:blah::blah::blah:

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
The Steelers just need a solid # 3 receiver...oh...and a good pass blocking O-Line...oh and maybe another running back...oh and maybe a D-lineman or two for depth...

Tall Short, Old Young...I don't effing care as long as on 3rd and 18, with the game on the line, you make the effing catch...something Washington tends not to do, he drops a lot of passes and something Wilson doesn't ever seem to be in position to do, when is the last time he wasn't covered?

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
The Steelers just need a solid # 3 receiver...oh...and a good pass blocking O-Line...oh and maybe another running back...oh and maybe a D-lineman or two for depth...

Tall Short, Old Young...I don't effing care as long as on 3rd and 18, with the game on the line, you make the effing catch...something Washington tends not to do, he drops a lot of passes and something Wilson doesn't ever seem to be in position to do, when is the last time he wasn't covered?

Amen. :cheers:

Welker, 5'9.

tony hipchest
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
something Wilson doesn't ever seem to be in position to do, when is the last time he wasn't covered?does when his girlfriend was shooting at him count?

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
does when his girlfriend was shooting at him count?

:cya::m16:

:chicken:

MasterOfPuppets
02-07-2008, 05:45 PM
M-O-P sometimes you just put things in such a different perspective it brings a needed smile and chuckle.why thank you stlrtrruck. i'm glad SOMEBODY appreciates me around here.....i work so hard to bring joy to this board and nobody cares....:crying03:

Rhee Rhee
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
i was high on trannon last year and felt we shoulda gave him a chance in the seventh... but dallas fell to us...

i really like this guy... i hope he makes the roster and will be able to contribute...

im gonna hope and pray he makes it... just like i did with patrick cobbs when he came... too bad patrick never made the team...

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2008, 06:28 AM
The knock on Trannon before last years combine was his speed and poor route running....He ran a 5.57 at the combine which was marginally better than the 4.69 range that he was thought to run....however his combine performance never silenced the critics about his route running skills.

Jared Zabransky on the other hand, is an interesting prospect...He ran faster than any other QB in the draft with a 4.53 (and that includes Troy Smith) ..and once ran an 80+ yard touchdown in college. He is solid on short and intermediate passes...but death on on the long ball. tending to underthrow or lob into coverage....would come cheaper than Brian St Pierre...and is more competitive.

touchdownward
02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Good stuff Duke.

We called 'em hot bottoms. :smile:

That was before I discovered a hot bottom was on a female. :naughty:

Rhee Rhee
02-09-2008, 12:15 PM
The knock on Trannon before last years combine was his speed and poor route running....He ran a 5.57 at the combine which was marginally better than the 4.69 range that he was thought to run....however his combine performance never silenced the critics about his route running skills.

Jared Zabransky on the other hand, is an interesting prospect...He ran faster than any other QB in the draft with a 4.53 (and that includes Troy Smith) ..and once ran an 80+ yard touchdown in college. He is solid on short and intermediate passes...but death on on the long ball. tending to underthrow or lob into coverage....would come cheaper than Brian St Pierre...and is more competitive.

haha when i first saw 5.57 i was like wtf are we doing with this guy then i saw the 4.69...

i second the notion that zabransky lobs and underthrows his passes... it was evident whenever boise state played hawaii that he'd always be a yard or two short or the ball would just hang in the air... like a punt almost it was in the air for so long

SanAntonio'sHomes
02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
I think tha giving Trannon a shot is not a bad idea. Not only was he one of the best receivers on MSU but he was also great on the basketball team. In order to play two sports at a major university, he must have some athletic ability. There's no problem with trying to find cheap talent that could turn out to be gold ( Antonio Gates).

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
haha when i first saw 5.57 i was like wtf are we doing with this guy then i saw the 4.69...

i second the notion that zabransky lobs and underthrows his passes... it was evident whenever boise state played hawaii that he'd always be a yard or two short or the ball would just hang in the air... like a punt almost it was in the air for so long

I havent seen enough of Zabransky to be able to tell.....but is he athletic enough to be a 6'2 slot reciever?