PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NFL Draft Offensive Guard Rankings

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
2008 NFL Draft Offensive Guard Rankings
Rivals.com

This year's guard class is average, and features a few college tackles who project inside in the NFL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSITION GRADE C
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oniel Cousins, Mike McGlynn and Eric Young fit into that category. Junior Branden Albert has a chance to be the first player selected at this position. Clubs will do more film work on the huge prospect following the NFL Combine.

There will be no top-50 selections from this group, and the top prospects will need a strong workout to be selected in the top 100 picks this April.

Offensive Guard Rankings

1. Oniel Cousins, 6-4, 300, Texas-El Paso
Cousins is a mobile, athletic prospect who can play any position along the line. We believe he is best suited inside at guard.

2. * Branden Albert, 6-7, 315, Virginia
This massive junior guard may be the best prospect at the position after his NFL Combine workout.

3. Eric Young, 6-4, 305, Tennessee
Young is a tough technician who hopes to work out this spring after a season-ending knee injury in 2007.

4. Roy Schuening, 6-4, 310, Oregon St
Schuening is a rugged guard/tackle who has excelled in the Pac-10. He has held his own against professional-caliber defensive tackles and ends.

5. Mike McGlynn, 6-4, 310, Pittsburgh
This rugged lineman has the versatility to play right tackle or guard. He has shown a nice level of development.

6. Shannon Tevaga, 6-3, 315, UCLA
This senior could be an early NFL starter with some additional development. He has the size to play at the next level.

7. Robert Felton, 6-4, 325, Arkansas
This big and mobile prospect was instrumental in Arkansas' potent ground game. He paved the way for runners Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

8. Drew Radovich, 6-4, 305, USC
Radovich has developed nicely in this pro-style offense. He has the makeup to compete for an NFL starting job in time.

9. Hercules Satele, 6-2, 310, Hawaii
Satele is a strong, mobile player on the interior. He hopes to continue the recent trend of productive linemen from Hawaii.

10. Adam Kraus, 6-5, 305, Michigan
Kraus is a strong, tough senior who has graded out high in the Big Ten. The veteran was a starter for his final three seasons.

11. * Chilo Rachal, 6-5, 315, USC
12. Donald Thomas, 6-3, 295, UConn
13. Chris McDuffie, 6-4, 320, Clemson
14. Will Arnold, 6-4, 320, LSU
15. Devin Clark, 6-4, 310, New Mexico
16. Andrew Crummey, 6-3, 300, Maryland
17. Jordan Grimes, 6-3, 340, Purdue

MDSteel15
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't think this is as huge a need as tackle but if Big Red is gone then Eric Young or Roy Schuening in round 2 will be nice or Adam Kraus or Andrew Crummey in later rounds would be awesome.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
If we dont get a legit guard early...then we may be able to wait until round 4 for Heath Benedict, who is slated as a Tackle but could be moved inside to Guard

MDSteel15
02-09-2008, 02:45 PM
If we dont get a legit guard early...then we may be able to wait until round 4 for Heath Benedict, who is slated as a Tackle but could be moved inside to Guard

I know everyone hates him right now but Mahan is a natural gaurd and is costing us $$$. I'd rather we take an elite Center and move him over.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I know everyone hates him right now but Mahan is a natural gaurd and is costing us $$$. I'd rather we take an elite Center and move him over.

I think Mahan will be a very good wave player..... I dont think there is an elite center in this draft, though I wish there was.

MDSteel15
02-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Well hopefully your Legursky can become our next Mike Webster.

Rhee Rhee
02-11-2008, 04:10 AM
I think Mahan will be a very good wave player..... I dont think there is an elite center in this draft, though I wish there was.

should've nabbed one the last two years.. mangold, kalil,satele.... one of 'em

im interested in shannon tevaga be available later on... as i see it, his stock is dropping and could be available in the fourth or fifth...

are there any guys thats considered a guard who have the potential to play center?

hercules satele maybe?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2008, 04:51 AM

im interested in shannon tevaga be available later on... as i see it, his stock is dropping and could be available in the fourth or fifth...

are there any guys thats considered a guard who have the potential to play center?

hercules satele maybe?

Velasco is slated to play center in the pros..but was a guard last year.

Aussie_steeler
02-11-2008, 05:48 AM

hercules satele maybe?

I have read somewhere that Robert Felton out of Arkansas has taken snaps. I think nfldraftscout.com. There is not much inof out there to show that many guards can handle the center position.

I think a big road grader like Branden Albert is an intriguing prospect. Do we hope that somebody on the roster can step up to fill the hole left by Faneca for a while or do we draft Faneca's long term replacement? Dollars and cents say the first option but I would like to see the second approach adopted this year, next at the very latest.

Over the next two years an elite offensive tackle, guard and center must be acquired through the draft. This will be the insurance policy needed to cover the long term investment in Big Ben.

Elvis
02-14-2008, 04:14 PM
4. Roy Schuening, 6-4, 310, Oregon St
Schuening is a rugged guard/tackle who has excelled in the Pac-10. He has held his own against professional-caliber defensive tackles and ends
This guy has been my pick since the first time I seen him in practice at the Senior Bowl.
:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Chilo Rachal seems to be the fastest climber on most the boards I check....Some already have him going in the first round...May be a player to keep an eye on.

Rhee Rhee
02-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Velasco is slated to play center in the pros..but was a guard last year.

i remember watcing velasco when he played hawaii in the sugar... very, very strong and tenacious...

Rhee Rhee
02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Chilo Rachal seems to be the fastest climber on most the boards I check....Some already have him going in the first round...May be a player to keep an eye on.

i hope he doesn't go in the first... but if he does i'd love to snatch him...

Rhee Rhee
04-09-2008, 03:07 AM
btw if anyone cares i read from KFFL.com that we rated kerry Brown OG last out of all the NFL teams and the patriots thought the highest of him...