PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger contract talks expected to begin with week

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-10-2008, 01:22 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/08041/856318-66.stm

Expect contract talks to begin this week with Ben Roethlisberger
Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Steelers this week will open contract talks with some of their players who can become unrestricted free agents and one who cannot -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2004, but both sides have expressed a desire to reach a contract extension this year.

Getting a contract extension and getting one quickly was one of three wishes Roethlisberger said he had for the offseason during a Jan. 15 interview.

"I'm eager, anxious, because I want to get it done with. I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it," he said. "Because I just want to play football.''

His other two desires were to keep guard Alan Faneca from leaving as a free agent and to find a tall wide receiver. Finding a tall, talented wide receiver would be difficult enough, but keeping Faneca is seen as near impossible. Nevertheless, the Steelers plan to make at least one more phone call to Faneca's agent.

They also may make a pitch for tackle Max Starks, but they believe he will leave in free agency. Other Steelers who would become unrestricted Feb. 29 are linebacker Clark Haggans, defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, fullback Dan Kreider, quarterback Brian St. Pierre, running back Verron Haynes and linebacker Marquis Cooper.

Their restricted free agents are tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, receiver Nate Washington, linebacker Andre Frazier and long snapper Greg Warren. The interesting part will come when the team must tender one-year offers to maintain their rights; the higher the offer, the more they protect themselves from losing the player.

Kemoeatu, for example, should command a high offer because he's likely to replace Faneca as the starting left guard.
The choice is still grass

While negotiations on contracts for their players begin, an end finally occured this past week to a truly on-field matter: the playing surface at Heinz Field.

The Steelers had several meetings on the topic -- including one big one -- before making it known Friday that they would stick with grass. That could still mean staying with the DDGrassMaster that has been the playing surface for most of Heinz Field's seven years, or ditching it for sod or some other type of grass system.

Dan Rooney has been in favor of grass since Heinz Field opened, citing his players' overwhelming support for such a surface and surveys he says indicate fewer and less serious injuries occur on grass fields. DDGrassMaster is grass that is secured with fibers.
Why not give Madden a chance?

Today's Pro Bowl may be a last of its kind as the NFL tries to find ways to boost interest in its all-star game, not only among the public but its own stars.

At least those two Steelers among the 14 NFL players who backed out of the game had legitimate injury excuses -- Willie Parker and Troy Polamalu. Many others are dubious withdrawals.

But even if everyone picked played, including Tom Brady, interest in the game might not have improved much; it has waned for years.

The NFL may move the game out of Hawaii and bring it to the mainland to generate more interest by the media and the public. One stumbling block to that idea is the players' wives; the free trip to Hawaii is a perk they supposedly do not want to give up.

Here's an idea: Move the game around to cities over here as they do the Super Bowl, and send the wives to Hawaii for the week. Everyone wins!

The better idea might be to select an all-star team but play no game. Plug the players into Madden 2009 and let them go at it.
In this case, walking the walk frowned upon

Could you imagine Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin leaving his team on the sideline and running into the locker room with time left on the clock in a losing cause?

Even in a regular-season game?

No, you can't. Who can remember any coach pulling what Bill Belichick did, in the Super Bowl no less? Roger Goodell should hit him with as high a fine as he can, if for no other reason than to prevent any other coach from doing it.

It is as good an example as any why probably 90 percent of America outside of New England was giddy over the New York Giants' upset of the Patriots.

Now, Spygate is creeping back into Belichick's world. The commissioner needs to do everything in his power to ferret the evidence that, NFL sources continue to tell me, Belichick cheated long before last year's game against the New York Jets.

He probably even had the audacity to tape NFC practices when he was coach of the AFC for the Pro Bowl last year, a tape that would have been watched more closely than the tedious game itself.

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Thank you Ed Bouchette. It's very refreshing to know that not every media head out there is chipping a tooth or getting knee burns over "The Genius". ESPN, keep up that good work. Denial always works. :thumbsup:

In this case, walking the walk frowned upon

Could you imagine Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin leaving his team on the sideline and running into the locker room with time left on the clock in a losing cause?

Even in a regular-season game?

No, you can't. Who can remember any coach pulling what Bill Belichick did, in the Super Bowl no less? Roger Goodell should hit him with as high a fine as he can, if for no other reason than to prevent any other coach from doing it.

It is as good an example as any why probably 90 percent of America outside of New England was giddy over the New York Giants' upset of the Patriots.

Now, Spygate is creeping back into Belichick's world. The commissioner needs to do everything in his power to ferret the evidence that, NFL sources continue to tell me, Belichick cheated long before last year's game against the New York Jets.

He probably even had the audacity to tape NFC practices when he was coach of the AFC for the Pro Bowl last year, a tape that would have been watched more closely than the tedious game itself.

:toofunny:

lilyoder6
02-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Clark Haggans, defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, fullback Dan Kreider, quarterback Brian St. Pierre, running back Verron Haynes and linebacker Marquis Cooper.

i think most of these guys will prob be gone unless they take a small salary.. we have some replacements alrdy for some of them

RoethlisBURGHer
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I would love to see Haggans back if he's willing to accept a backup role to Woodley. It would be nice to have him as a veteran backup, passing his knoledge on to our young linebackers.

Dan Kreider will be back, IMHO. He is the only true blocking fullback we had on the roster last year. We were starting to go back to him as the starter and then he got injured. I think he'll take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh...or just retire.

As for the others, they can all go. I don't feel we really need them. I can see Washington being resigned...but if we let him walk that leaves room for the tall wideout that Ben wants without taking up a roster spot from another position.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I would love to see Haggans back if he's willing to accept a backup role to Woodley. It would be nice to have him as a veteran backup, passing his knoledge on to our young linebackers.

Dan Kreider will be back, IMHO. He is the only true blocking fullback we had on the roster last year. We were starting to go back to him as the starter and then he got injured. I think he'll take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh...or just retire.

As for the others, they can all go. I don't feel we really need them. I can see Washington being resigned...but if we let him walk that leaves room for the tall wideout that Ben wants without taking up a roster spot from another position.

I have always been a Haggans man myself and seeing him back would be great, but after the ability, strength, and speed Woodley showed in the limited playing time he recieved im sure he won't be a Steeler next year, but i wish him luck elsewhere! :thumbsup:
Dan Kreider if he does not retire should def. be back next season i thought, but after making it final that Carey Davis is our new fullback Kreider going elsewhere does not seem like a bad idea to have some extra cash during the offseason!

Galax Steeler
02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Hope he gets his contract done and plays his entire football carrer with the steelers.

Rhee Rhee
02-10-2008, 02:01 PM
im really nervous as to how much he's gonna ask... i hope he knows that the team won't be able to do much if his salary accounts for like 25-30% of the cap...

19ward86
02-10-2008, 02:49 PM
we need to resign ben, and hopefully max starks stays.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Ben deserves this HUGE deal and when its over 100 million im sure no one will be surprised one bit!

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
If Haggans takes a nice cut, I wouldn't mind having him back. IMO, Kreider is done.

lilyoder6
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
i think nate will re-sign with a small salary... and i doubt haggans will take a small salry to stay

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 08:48 PM
i think nate will re-sign with a small salary... and i doubt haggans will take a small salry to stay

Smaller, but not real small.

Steeler in Carolina
02-10-2008, 08:53 PM
1. I am glad to hear contract talks with Ben will begin. Hopefully, they will wrap them up before free agency begins so we will know what money we have available.

2. I think to beef up interest in the Pro Bowl, they should ditch the game and have some sort of skills competition. That way nobody has to worry about getting hurt and it would be fun to watch.

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
1. I am glad to hear contract talks with Ben will begin. Hopefully, they will wrap them up before free agency begins so we will know what money we have available.

2. I think to beef up interest in the Pro Bowl, they should ditch the game and have some sort of skills competition. That way nobody has to worry about getting hurt and it would be fun to watch.

They do do that. (at least they did) they always had one the Saturday before.

Lord Stiller
02-10-2008, 09:28 PM
If Haggans takes a nice cut, I wouldn't mind having him back. IMO, Kreider is done.

id rather have Kreider back than Haggans

Haggans was invisible this year, dude sucks

Rhee Rhee
02-11-2008, 03:57 AM
i dont want to see starx back... if he cant beat out willie colon (who's really a guard) out of the RT spot that he's started in b4 i dont want him back... i also wish to cut marvel... but thats asking for waay too much... our o-line needs a make over and we need money after giving ben huge wads of cash..

duma
02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
[re: skills competition] They do do that. (at least they did) they always had one the Saturday before.
They still do. It was on the NFL Network on Saturday.

lilyoder6
02-11-2008, 10:20 AM
thats one of there bigs things in pro-bowl week is the skills competiton....

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 10:25 AM
id rather have Kreider back than Haggans

Haggans was invisible this year, dude sucks

With Haggans, I would take him back (if he takes a cut) for depth purposes. As for Kreider, with aging and injuries, I'm not sure he would last the season.

BlastFurnace
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
We need to get younger. Resigning a 35 year old FB and an aging LB'er that didn't produce will not help this team. We have more than adequate replacements at both positions. It's time to thank them, wish them well, and send them on their way. As cruel as that sounds, it's the reality of today's NFL.

Nate needs to be brought back. Regardless of what people think of him here, he is a very good #3 receiver who has improved every year.

tony hipchest
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
i think nate will re-sign with a small salary... and i doubt haggans will take a small salry to staynate already makes league minimum. no matter who signs him, he gets a pay raise for "time served". he will be very affordable for anyone who wants him, but the steelers should easilly be able to keep him.

haggans future will probably be determined by seau and bruschi.

i think bens deal is as good as done.

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
haggans future will probably be determined by seau and bruschi.

what does that mean?

haggans future is clearly with a different team

tony hipchest
02-11-2008, 12:47 PM
what does that mean?

the patriots may find his services more valuable than the steelers do.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2008, 01:34 PM
the patriots may find his services more valuable than the steelers do.

I thought the same thing. The Patriots still have Thomas who can play inside or outside....If they pick up Haggans, they can focus on picking up a CB in the 1st round and a ILB in later rounds.

tony hipchest
02-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I thought the same thing. The Patriots still have Thomas who can play inside or outside....If they pick up Haggans, they can focus on picking up a CB in the 1st round and a ILB in later rounds.and while steelers think a linebacker over 30 is old, the patriots look at somebody like haggans as relatively young with plenty of tread on the tires. and most of all, pretty smart and capable of picking up a complex system.

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought the same thing. The Patriots still have Thomas who can play inside or outside....If they pick up Haggans, they can focus on picking up a CB in the 1st round and a ILB in later rounds.

Eh, they might want Haggans. Point is, I doubt the Steelers want him

Also, dont forget the Pats have Rosie Colvin who got hurt last year

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Eh, they might want Haggans. Point is, I doubt the Steelers want him

Also, dont forget the Pats have Rosie Colvin who got hurt last year

I DID forget abour colvin...gonna have to change my mock draft ...looks more like the Pats will fo CB.

OneForTheToe
02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I agree that Haggans is probibly a good fit with the cheatriots. It seems that Belichick's D doesn't ask as much from the L'bers as does Lebeau's.

The Steelers have had such poor luck with older L'bers (Lloyd was a great player but he had dropped enough in his last season that I think the Steelers believe that they should have kept Brown instead. And Gildon dropped precipitously in performance in his last contact) that I think they are gun-shy about extending contracts of the older ones. In other words, linebacker is a young mans job if you play for the Steelers. Faneca's contract notwithstanding, they have been more willing to extend 30+ year old players at other positions such O'linemen and D' linemen.

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I DID forget abour colvin...gonna have to change my mock draft ...looks more like the Pats will fo CB.

Yes, especially since Assante Samuel will likely be a goner and Hobbs is average

Glace
02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
I know it's probably time to see Kreider go....but man, that will make me sad. Some of my fondest memories of this team were Kreider blowing somebody out of a hole (ray lewis? HAHAHA), and Bettis running over the debris.

lilyoder6
02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
i thin kreider will retire a steeler.. whether he takes a small salary or retires.. but i still think that the pats will still draft a lb to play b/c they can get a good quality cb in the 2nd possibly..

Mistah_Q
02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
http://steelcentral.net/images/kreiderdrug.jpg

Galax Steeler
03-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Progress made on Big Ben's contract
Sunday, March 02, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The agents for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will meet in Pittsburgh today with Steelers officials to try to nail down a contract extension.

Ryan and Bruce Tollner have made progress on the new contract for Roethlisberger, who has two years left on his first deal from 2004.

Both Roethlisberger and the Steelers have expressed a desire to have a new contract in place as soon as possible
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08062/861945-66.stm

alittlejazzbird
03-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Progress made on Big Ben's contract
Sunday, March 02, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The agents for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will meet in Pittsburgh today with Steelers officials to try to nail down a contract extension.

Ryan and Bruce Tollner have made progress on the new contract for Roethlisberger, who has two years left on his first deal from 2004.

Both Roethlisberger and the Steelers have expressed a desire to have a new contract in place as soon as possible
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08062/861945-66.stm

Hopefully we'll hear some good news within this next week - that our Ben will be a Steeler for the rest of his career!

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
I believe once we get this done we see some minor FA moves. Not many though.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I hope the contract is based on the number of seasons he is in Black and Gold and not by the color of his body after each game...Black and Blue. Or by the number of knockdowns/hurries per game. That'll bankrupt us.

RUN BEN RUN.