PDA

View Full Version : Ben's uncomfortable dropback

jsteelers51191
02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
We saw it today in the pro bowl and i've noticed it throughout his entire 4 years. He seems to have one of the most uncomfortable dropbacks of any Qb that I have ever seen. Compared to Manning and even Hasselback, who seem to reach the back point of their drop in 1 milisecond. Ben looks like he is lumbering backwards. Just want to know if anybody else has noticed this.

19ward86
02-10-2008, 08:15 PM
he is kind of akward when he drops back but i think it is because he is ben roethlisberger, he has his own way of doing certain things that work for him. him and tony romo both have the same type of drop back, they get low to the ground and move akwardly, he might seem slow when he drops back but his 4.67 speed is not slow at all. no kidding when i say 4.67. he is one fast 240 pounder, if u couldnt tell during his 30yd run against the browns and his 18yarder against the NFC in the probowl.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
It looks akward, but it works for him so hey...let him do it that way. If he didn't like it, he'd change it.

sherlock
02-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Oh God,here I go again.....sorry guys but what do you mean by dropback?

Preacher
02-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh God,here I go again.....sorry guys but what do you mean by dropback?

When the QB steps up under the center (Center is the middle guy that actually hikes the ball to the QB at the start of the play) and the ball his hiked to him, he will take 3, 5, or 7 steps backward, set his back foot, and then drive off it to throw the ball.

The movement backwards is called the drop, or the dropback. You will also hear a 3 step drop, 5 step drop. 7 step drop discussed. That (like mentioned above) is how many steps are taken.

On pass plays, there is still a drop back, but it isn't the same. The QB usually turns a quarter turn and hands off the ball, or tosses the ball to the running back. However, on the pass, he keeps looking forward.

sherlock
02-11-2008, 01:46 AM
When the QB steps up under the center (Center is the middle guy that actually hikes the ball to the QB at the start of the play) and the ball his hiked to him, he will take 3, 5, or 7 steps backward, set his back foot, and then drive off it to throw the ball.

The movement backwards is called the drop, or the dropback. You will also hear a 3 step drop, 5 step drop. 7 step drop discussed. That (like mentioned above) is how many steps are taken.

On pass plays, there is still a drop back, but it isn't the same. The QB usually turns a quarter turn and hands off the ball, or tosses the ball to the running back. However, on the pass, he keeps looking forward.

Thanks very much Preacher.....so much to learn,oh well must persevere although sometimes it feels like I`ve gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson!
Must admit I hadn`t noticed that Ben had a slow dropback compared to other QB`s.......QB stands for quarterback you know! :smile:

Preacher
02-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks very much Preacher.....so much to learn,oh well must persevere although sometimes it feels like I`ve gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson!
Must admit I hadn`t noticed that Ben had a slow dropback compared to other QB`s.......QB stands for quarterback you know! :smile:

Thank you. I did not know that! :wink02:

Rhee Rhee
02-11-2008, 02:44 AM
well u can't blame him... it's not like he went from under center in college...

he doesnt look to awkward to me... i mean it allowed him to throw 30+ touch down passes... he has to be doing something right

Galax Steeler
02-11-2008, 03:36 AM
It looks akward, but it works for him so hey...let him do it that way. If he didn't like it, he'd change it.

Agreed what ever works do it.

Steeldude
02-11-2008, 05:36 AM
he is kind of akward when he drops back but i think it is because he is ben roethlisberger, he has his own way of doing certain things that work for him. him and tony romo both have the same type of drop back, they get low to the ground and move akwardly, he might seem slow when he drops back but his 4.67 speed is not slow at all. no kidding when i say 4.67. he is one fast 240 pounder, if u couldnt tell during his 30yd run against the browns and his 18yarder against the NFC in the probowl.

where did you get 4.67? the fastest time i have seen listed was 4.94. the other imes i have seen were 5.0 and up.

zulater
02-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Honestly I couldn't tell you if the mechanics of Ben's drop back are faulty or not? Maybe it could be improved, you would think that's something the Steelers staff would be trying to do if needed.

There's no question Ben takes too many sacks and hits. Part of it is Ben's intense desire to extend plays at all costs, sometimes to poor results. But for every time we cringe there's at least as many times that we're cheering as Ben's made a huge play out of potential disaster. Eli's desperation heave to David Tyree in the Super Bowl was reminscent of a Ben improvisation.

But getting back to the point, I think Ben probably could be coached up to take better drops, make better decisions etc... but you've got to be careful. If you get Ben thinking too much he might not be the dynamic playmaker that we've come to know and the Steelers need. Personally I think the answer lies more with improving the offensive line. I defy anyone to tell me that's not one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL, and I don't care who's standing behind them that wont change. Mahan and Simmons aren't NFL caliber starters. Colon might be, but would probably be better off at guard. And Marvel Smith isn't what he used to be or needs to be.

Can it be fixed in one offseason? Who knows, but it's certainly worth the effort. And time spent here would be much better rewarded in the end than tearing Ben down and trying to recreate him in Tom Brady's image.

HometownGal
02-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Honestly I couldn't tell you if the mechanics of Ben's drop back are faulty or not? Maybe it could be improved, you would think that's something the Steelers staff would be trying to do if needed.

There's no question Ben takes too many sacks and hits. Part of it is Ben's intense desire to extend plays at all costs, sometimes to poor results. But for every time we cringe there's at least as many times that we're cheering as Ben's made a huge play out of potential disaster. Eli's desperation heave to David Tyree in the Super Bowl was reminscent of a Ben improvisation.

But getting back to the point, I think Ben probably could be coached up to take better drops, make better decisions etc... but you've got to be careful. If you get Ben thinking too much he might not be the dynamic playmaker that we've come to know and the Steelers need. Personally I think the answer lies more with improving the offensive line. I defy anyone to tell me that's not one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL, and I don't care who's standing behind them that wont change. Mahan and Simmons aren't NFL caliber starters. Colon might be, but would probably be better off at guard. And Marvel Smith isn't what he used to be or needs to be.

Can it be fixed in one offseason? Who knows, but it's certainly worth the effort. And time spent here would be much better rewarded in the end than tearing Ben down and trying to recreate him in Tom Brady's image.

Great post zu and I couldn't agree more! :cheers: You are absolutely right about exercising caution in trying to change Ben's "style", which could end up being detrimental in the long run. What works for one QB doesn't necessarily work for another and as long as Ben continues to be effective doing what he does, if he and Anderson are cool with it, I'm cool with it. I don't think there is a QB in the league who wouldn't be scrambling and running for his life behind our swiss cheese OL as it stands now.

My only disagreement with your post is that Mahan isn't an NFL calibre starter. He definitely isn't C material as was proven this past season, but he was a decent G in Tampa and I'd like to see what he can do at that position before throwing him off the bus. Some players can adjust to being switched around, but obviously Mahan isn't one of them.

revefsreleets
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Getting back to Ben, his mechanics are a little unorthodox, but they work for him. Look at Favre. He has one of the most unconventional throwing motions I've ever seen, AND he repeatedly throws off his back foot which is a huge no-no. But it certainly works for him!

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
As long as he doesn't throw INTs, he can do a back flip when he drops back for all I care.

slippy
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
ben's throwing motion is the LEAST of our concerns this offseason.

the O-line need an overhaul just to make it average and the D-line has no depth. we could use a second RB also. i'm OK with CB and WR......for now.

TackleMeBen
02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Eli's desperation heave to David Tyree in the Super Bowl was reminscent of a Ben improvisation.

i told my sister that eli must have been watching film on ben, on how to extend a play..lol

steelpride12
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey you can't blame him there, def. when your o-line gives around 1-2 seconds if he is lucky to make a play ha. Ben is used to scrammbling and moving around and thats what he likes to do.
He is no Peyton Manning or Brady(Pocket Passers), Ben makes plays on his feet and i think with a good or bad o-line thats the Ben we shall always see!

CanadianSteel
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
It would be interesting to see a stat on how many of Ben's TD passes have come from out of the pocket or at least while on the move, rather than typical pocket passes. Not just for this year, since the line was so bad and he was often scrambling for his life, but overall for his career so far.

Did I mention - don't really have the time to look up this type of info :computer:
but would be interesting to see....

SteelersJW
02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
It's because he's a F|_|Ckin badass. And who gives a shit how he drops back? Does it really matter? He's kind of good.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
During the regular season he was staggering backward because he was getting hit before he had the ball and in the Pro Bowl he was probably just astonished that he wasn't already laying on his back at the bottom of the pile.