PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may have interest in Justin Smith and Madieu Williams of the Bengals

BlastFurnace
02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/02/10/ddn021108bigconweb.html

Justin Smith would fit in nicely, but is probably way over our price range.

I like Williams as a Safety, but we have bigger needs on the OL and DL.

If I had to pick between the two, I say go for Smith.

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
What? No Chad Johnson? Damn Rooney's!!!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
We probably couldn't afford Smith plus I don't think that he is much better than what we have in Keisel right now.

Stlrs4Life
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Noine of that came from the Steelers office, all reporter speculation. I wouldn't want Williams. Smith probably would fit in better here in Pittsburgh.

Steelersfan4life0655
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM
hmmmm....smith could fit, but doesnt cincy run a 4-3

19ward86
02-11-2008, 06:29 PM
did u read the article, he might be a 4-3 guy but he has enough speed to be a brett keisel type of guy, he is also strong enough to be a bull rusher like aaron smith. i have always liked justin smith, him and carson are the only players i like on the bungles. i would like to see justin here for a 2mil a year or less contract, while we keep keisel. keisel must stay.

Rhee Rhee
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
did u read the article, he might be a 4-3 guy but he has enough speed to be a brett keisel type of guy, he is also strong enough to be a bull rusher like aaron smith. i have always liked justin smith, him and carson are the only players i like on the bungles. i would like to see justin here for a 2mil a year or less contract, while we keep keisel. keisel must stay.

2mil a year??? he'll get at least double that wherever he goes...

Rhee Rhee
02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
madieu i like... i just hate how he wears #40... what an awkward number...

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
2mil a year??? he'll get at least double that wherever he goes...

Yep noway Justin Smith signs for just 2 Mil a year...lol I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Steelers uniform but he will be out of the Steelers price range...

I'm with you on Williams....Troy has been hurt a ton the last two years.....Clark is coming off a serious condition and who knows what his status will be for 08....Carter is getting older....A. Smith is young and talented...But regressed in 07.....

Safety is a need and adding a player like Williams who has a nose for the ball would be nice for depth purposes....

CantStop85
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I always thought Justin Smith would be better suited as a 3-4 DE...very good run stopper, not as much of a pass rusher.

Madieu Williams hasn't quite lived up to expectations after his rookie season, but still has a lot of potential.

Steel Pit
02-11-2008, 11:57 PM
The Steelers are already OVERPAYING for one Smith that plays DE so hopefully they won't go out make that mistake again.

I KNOW, I KNOW, Aaron Smith's responsibility is to "occupy blockers" in the 3-4 defense so therefore his numbers suffer. :blah::blah::blah:

I get such a warm feeling inside when I think of the sacrifices that the Steelers defensive lineman make in order to allow the LB's to make uncontested tackles.
I wish that they would sign a few more of these types of unselfish players.

Heck Steelers, I'm available! I can occupy a blocker and make an occasional tackle. Interested?

TasmanianTroy271
02-12-2008, 12:24 AM
The Steelers are already OVERPAYING for one Smith that plays DE so hopefully they won't go out make that mistake again.

I may be making a bold statement here, but I would have no problem giving Aaron Smith the largest salary on the defense. After seeing our run defense after he went down, I think he's on the same tier as Troy and Casey.

Steel Pit
02-12-2008, 03:03 AM
I may be making a bold statement here, but I would have no problem giving Aaron Smith the largest salary on the defense. After seeing our run defense after he went down, I think he's on the same tier as Troy and Casey.

The largest salary for a Steelers defensive player? That is BOLD! Here are Aaron Smith's numbers for the last 3 seasons.

2007 Tot Solo Assist Sck Fumb
Aaron Smith 30 21 9 2 0 *Missed the final 3 games due to injury*

Aaron Smith 61 44 17 4 1

Aaron Smith 39 29 10 2 1

Looks like it would be a huge waste of money, but wait, I forgot about the phantom "occupy blockers" stat that for some reason isn't a statistical category worth recording.

But you're right about this, with Smith out of the lineup, Fred Taylor ran all over the Steelers. Should we attribute Taylor's big day solely to the absence of Smith? Well, I don't. I've seen Taylor have quite a few big games against BETTER Steelers defenses. Fred Taylor is the ALL-TIME leading rusher versus Steelers teams with only a portion of that occurring in week #15 of this past season.

In week #11, the New York Jets also had a mighty fine rushing day against the Steelers and would you believe that Aaron Smith WAS in the lineup that day.

I have my opinion of Smith and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. You have your opinion, and although I disagree, I respect it.

Galax Steeler
02-12-2008, 03:40 AM
I would welcome any upgrade this year no matter what team they play for.

lilyoder6
02-12-2008, 08:56 AM
actually smith was playing with his injured ripped biceps in that game in the jets. if u remember, he said it was hurting going into the week and near the beginning of the game it just tore..

BlastFurnace
02-12-2008, 09:17 AM

I KNOW, I KNOW, Aaron Smith's responsibility is to "occupy blockers" in the 3-4 defense so therefore his numbers suffer. :blah::blah::blah:

I get such a warm feeling inside when I think of the sacrifices that the Steelers defensive lineman make in order to allow the LB's to make uncontested tackles.
I wish that they would sign a few more of these types of unselfish players.

Heck Steelers, I'm available! I can occupy a blocker and make an occasional tackle. Interested?

I completely disagree with your first sentence. Aaron Smith would be paid that by any team in the NFL. When he was injured, it impacted the entire defense far greater than when any other starter was not out there.

Also, the Steelers D'lineman do far more than just occupy blockers...especially Aaron Smith. If it was that easy, Eason would have not been such a failure at the position.

Aaron Smith is our best defensive starter...bar none. The impact of his loss resulted in teams rushing all over us in a way not seen in quite some time. I would much rather lose any other starter on defense than him.

steel65
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
The steelers are cheap they can't even pay their own players . year in year out we lose so many players this team will use the draft and pick up other teams retread players as always!!!!

steelpride12
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I would like to see both of them on our team, but were a no criminal team so they would have to relax and stay out of trouble for once in their entire careers!

BlastFurnace
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
The steelers are cheap they can't even pay their own players . year in year out we lose so many players this team will use the draft and pick up other teams retread players as always!!!!

Dude...prepare to get hammered for a statement that is competely untrue.

I don't know how long you have been following the Steelers, but unless you have taken a 8 year hiatus from following them, you should know better than to think that.

11 Playoff Appearances in 16 Years is tremendous and disproves what you are saying about us only signing "retread players". If these guys were truly "retread players", the Steelers wouldn't have their track record for winning.

The Duke
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Here are Aaron Smith's numbers for the last 3 seasons.

Looks like it would be a huge waste of money, but wait, I forgot about the phantom "occupy blockers" stat that for some reason isn't a statistical category worth recording.

stats..... :coffee:

I have my opinion of Smith and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. You have your opinion, and although I disagree, I respect it.

you're right, you have your opinion,but dude if you really don't understand the value of aaron smith you gotta study a little more football

stats are not everything, its about how you play and how to win

Steel Pit
02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
stats..... :coffee:

you're right, you have your opinion,but dude if you really don't understand the value of aaron smith you gotta study a little more football

stats are not everything, its about how you play and how to win

OH OK, I'll get right to the books Sir.

I watch "very closely", as much Steelers football as anyone in here and probably more than most in here. I'll put my football knowledge on the line versus YOU, or anyone else that wants to go a round or two.

Aaron Smith, in my opinion, is not, has not, nor ever will be a great defensive end.

You say that you see more in him than his stats, "it's about how you play and how to win" :uhh: Uhh, I don't really know what that means but I'll reveiew some Steelers videos and start looking for it. :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
OH OK, I'll get right to the books Sir.

I watch "very closely", as much Steelers football as anyone in here and probably more than most in here. I'll put my football knowledge on the line versus YOU, or anyone else that wants to go a round or two.

Aaron Smith, in my opinion, is not, has not, nor ever will be a great defensive end.

You say that you see more in him than his stats, "it's about how you play and how to win" :uhh: Uhh, I don't really know what that means but I'll reveiew some Steelers videos and start looking for it. :thumbsup:

With your assessment of Aaron Smith, you already did put your Steeler knowledge on the line against other fans...and it doesn't look very good. If you follow Steelers football as much as you say you do, there is no way to come to this conclusion.

Face it, you will not find more than 1% of Steeler fans that agree with you on this one.

aclark99
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Let's start with Justin Smith. I believe Justin would be an excellent pick-up. Even with Aaron Smith in the line-up we just couldn't produce a pass rush. A.Smith is a decent run stopper. With J.Smith at one end and A.Smith at the other end complimented with our 6'1" nose tackle our line would be sured up for the future. A.Smith is getting older and I believe we need to get younger and faster. Keisel just hasn't produced in the starting role. He is better suited for third down pass rushing. J.Smith is a major upgrade if the money is right.

The next thing that is a need is a safety. Ryan Clark is up in the air with health issue. Will he return to the level of play that he was at before the health problem. Anthony Smith is all talk and hasn't proven anything in the league. Troy needs another Chris Hope to assist him. I don't believe that this person is on the roster. Of course, this is all speculation if Clark returns. We need someone who is fast, cover when Troy falters, and one who can lay the lumber on the wide outs in Cincy. Kenny Philips would be a great addition to our secondary in the draft. Lot's to think about and the off-season hasn't even started.
:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::h elmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

19ward86
02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
the offseason has started.......
i dont know about drafting a safety, but i like the idea of us picking up justin smith for a small price of course.

Steel Pit
02-12-2008, 06:29 PM
With your assessment of Aaron Smith, you already did put your Steeler knowledge on the line against other fans...and it doesn't look very good. If you follow Steelers football as much as you say you do, there is no way to come to this conclusion.

Face it, you will not find more than 1% of Steeler fans that agree with you on this one.

I'm not looking for support, I have my perspective of certain players, which I have total confidence in, and others have theirs. Although I have disagreed with many Steelers player assessments, Bettis in particular, I've always concluded that people have the right to voice their opinions. Just because I disagree with them, it doesn't mean that they're wrong.

So if it is my 1% opinion versus a 99% oposition, typical factless conclusion on your part, then so it is.

HometownGal
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I'd take Madieu Williams in a heartbeat if the Steelers could sign him. He's young
(26), fiery and the only good defensive player that pathetic Bungles secondary has, imho. In 13 games in 2007, he had 58 solo tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR. With the health status of Ryan Clark virtually unknown at this point, I'd love to have Williams as a part of the Steelers secondary. He's coming off a quad injury, but word has it that he'll be ready to go when camp begins.

paw-n-maul-u
02-12-2008, 07:52 PM
SteelPitt.

man, you are just wrong.

Sacks are a bonus for pocket-pushing nose tackles, like an onion ring in your French fries; Baltimore's Kelly Gregg, maybe the best nose in the game along with Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton, has 1?. Ends in the 3-4 tend to collect a few more, but they are inhibited by their responsibilities versus the run and don't put up the same kind of numbers as 4-3 ends.

Before an end can get after the quarterback, he has to first make certain a draw isn't coming through the "B" gap (between the guard and tackle). The end also has bootleg duty. If there's run action inside, the ends first reaction should be to hit the "B" gap, and if nothing's coming, hustle back outside to contain the quarterback.

"The responsibility of a 3-4 end is 10 times harder than the responsibility of a 4-3 end," said Pittsburgh end Kimo von Oelhoffen. "You're on the edge (in the 4-3). You've got great angles for stopping the run, and great angles for rushing the quarterback. That's why those guys get sacks."

All of which makes Steeler Aaron Smith's eight sacks all the more impressive (Patriots DE Richard Seymour had eight last season). Smith's eight sacks tie him for 15th in the league. Next among 3-4 defensive linemen is Baltimore's Marques Douglas, who has 5?, tied for 38th in the league.

“ It's not designed for you to make the plays. It's designed for the linebackers. That's why it's a 3-4. You've really got to do a good job to get yourself into it, but you're creating for other people. ”
— Richard Seymour, Patriots DE

Smith and Seymour are considered the league's top 3-4 ends because they're strong against the run and the pass.

this is from an ESPN article i found, iwas just tryin to find all the teams that run a 3-4, and it bumped me to this article, only fitting, as if it were like, "copy and paste this to steelpitt"

paw-n-maul-u
02-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Smith hampton/hoke and Keisel/Smith would be a nice D-line ... and you could definitly put off drafting a D-lineman high this year and focus on the o-line

... which might also give the luxury of drafting a skill position player at RB or WR, maybe even a CB. in rd 2 or so

BlastFurnace
02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not looking for support, I have my perspective of certain players, which I have total confidence in, and others have theirs. Although I have disagreed with many Steelers player assessments, Bettis in particular, I've always concluded that people have the right to voice their opinions. Just because I disagree with them, it doesn't mean that they're wrong.

So if it is my 1% opinion versus a 99% oposition, typical factless conclusion on your part, then so it is.

Factless?!? All the facts you need is every game where Smith was missing and where Casey was taken out of the game because Eason and Kirschke couldn't do what Smith was doing.

Give it a break. It's your opinion, but to say that people who support Smith have no facts is ridiculous. Like I said, if your knowledge of the Steelers is so great, you cannot honestly say you didn't see a tremendous dropoff in our defensive play when Aaron Smith was injured.

Galax Steeler
02-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Factless?!? All the facts you need is every game where Smith was missing and where Casey was taken out of the game because Eason and Kirschke couldn't do what Smith was doing.

Give it a break. It's your opinion, but to say that people who support Smith have no facts is ridiculous. Like I said, if your knowledge of the Steelers is so great, you cannot honestly say you didn't see a tremendous dropoff in our defensive play when Aaron Smith was injured.

Agreed bf there was a big drop off in the deffense without arron smith in the line up.

Elvis
02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
hmmmm....smith could fit, but doesnt cincy run a 4-3
Absolutely..
This young man will not be in pittsburgh next year because of that fact or Steelers are planning on switching to the 4-3 completely now. Dont see either one coming to Pittsburgh my self.
:coffee:

Elvis
02-13-2008, 02:39 PM

Spoken from a True Steelers Fan Heart there BlastFurnace.
How could anyone not see how important Smith is to our team defense? Steelpit, I really think you need to go back and watch some Steelers games over the past 4 or 5 years that Smith has been here and you will see how important he is to our team.
:tt02:

revefsreleets
02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
This whole thread just makes me sad. How could so many football fans be so incredibly ignorant of the very game that they proclaim to love?

(shaking head) Have at it. And thank Christ in Heaven this is as close of most of you will ever be to making any kind of real and meaningful decisions concerning the Steelers.

lilyoder6
02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
someone could be from the steelers organization like a ball boy or water guy..

Rhee Rhee
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
numbers for the last 3 seasons.

2007 Tot Solo Assist Sck Fumb
Aaron Smith 30 21 9 2 0 *Missed the final 3 games due to injury*

Aaron Smith 61 44 17 4 1

Aaron Smith 39 29 10 2 1

But you're right about this, with Smith out of the lineup, Fred Taylor ran all over the Steelers. Should we attribute Taylor's big day solely to the absence of Smith? Well, I don't. I've seen Taylor have quite a few big games against BETTER Steelers defenses. Fred Taylor is the ALL-TIME leading rusher versus Steelers teams with only a portion of that occurring in week #15 of this past season.

In week #11, the New York Jets also had a mighty fine rushing day against the Steelers and would you believe that Aaron Smith WAS in the lineup that day.

i disagree, his actually importance cannot be measured on stats... like u said the "phantom" occuply blockers stat is just as important on the o-line as d-line i look at aaron smith as the LT of our D-line... he is one of the best at his position and has played like it when he's in...

its not like u can find 3-4 defensive on the street corner... no 3-4 defensive end is probably one of the hardest and underrated positions in the NFL... no one gives them credit and within the last 5 years i can't remember one time a 3-4 DE besides aaron smith made the pro-bowll...

CantStop85
02-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Absolutely..
This young man will not be in pittsburgh next year because of that fact or Steelers are planning on switching to the 4-3 completely now. Dont see either one coming to Pittsburgh my self.
:coffee:

But Justin Smith has played in the 4-3 his entire career. :confused:

Anyway, Marvin has basically said that either Madieu or Justin will be franchise tagged. I hope it's Madieu, but I have a bad feeling it's going to be Justin Smith again. Either way, they'll do a lot to keep Justin Smith.

revefsreleets
02-15-2008, 06:42 PM
The Bengal fan seems to know a lot more about our team than about half the "fans" that post here.

ChronoCross
02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Unless were switching to the 4-3 Justin Smith is to small for are 3-4 system and he is 28 and the Coach wants to get younger. I really doubt ether is taken. Plus the Bengals is going to Franchise tag one of the two. I really do not want a player from the problem children over there.