PDA

View Full Version : Is The Format War Over?

GBMelBlount
02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
For those of you who have been waiting for a clear winner in the high definition DVD format war between blu ray & HD DVD before jumping in, the knockout blow may have come much sooner than expected. Many studios have recently switched over to Blu Ray, and Netflix just switched exclusively to Blu Ray today as well. However, HD DVD players have dropped to about $150 from $230 in the fall & I have a feeling there will be a "liquidation" of HD DVD's coming soon. Meaning that there will probably be alot of very cheap HD DVD's of the 350 titles or so that are available.

The Duke
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I think so, HD DVD is dying

HD DVD players have dropped to about $150 from $230

and they will just continue to drop

I remember about 3 years ago I did a report for school about HD vs blu ray and one of my points was that in 3-5 years HD will start to die and blu ray would be at the top with like you said studios( which is a large % of users) using it. guess I was right,lol

there's still time for the HD to catch up, but if I would have to place a bet would go with blu ray

Borski
02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I think so, HD DVD is dying

and they will just continue to drop

I remember about 3 years ago I did a report for school about HD vs blu ray and one of my points was that in 3-5 years HD will start to die and blu ray would be at the top with like you said studios( which is a large % of users) using it. guess I was right,lol

there's still time for the HD to catch up, but if I would have to place a bet would go with blu ray

When I first heard about the format war I thought Blu-Ray would win....guess I was right too

tony hipchest
02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
anyone care to explain the simple difference, and if it will translate on my 13" Orion tv?

lilyoder6
02-11-2008, 04:41 PM
the only hd that isn't dying ois the t.v.'s. nut i agree with evryone is turnong to blue ray.. the gaming industry are going there too with the PS3 having a blue ray inside of it..

Borski
02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
anyone care to explain the simple difference, and if it will translate on my 13" Orion tv?

HD-DVD has 20gb of space on it
Blu-Ray has 25gb of space on it

the two are incompatible with each other.

Blu-Ray is also being used for Video games on the PS3.

other then that, not many differences.

and on a 13" TV you wont see any differences between Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, or even VHS

MACH1
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
the only hd that isn't dying ois the t.v.'s. nut i agree with evryone is turnong to blue ray.. the gaming industry are going there too with the PS3 having a blue ray inside of it..

I think Sony came up with blu-ray so it makes sense its in the ps3.

Borski
02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Sony came up with blu-ray so it makes sense its in the ps3.

Yup, Sony came up with Blu-Ray, and Toshiba/Microsoft came up with HD-DVD

...but for some reason, Microsoft decided not to use HD-DVD for 360 games.

lilyoder6
02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
b/c bill gates and microsoft don't won't the public to get a 360 and a hd -dvd player in one.. they would lose money

Dynasty
02-12-2008, 12:11 AM
toshiba is really the only one who is pushing hd-dvd anymore, they have one studio, and there are even rumors that MS will switch to blu-ray support.

Borski
02-12-2008, 12:24 AM
...and there are even rumors that MS will switch to blu-ray support.

Really? I never heard that one.

lilyoder6
02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
it really doesn't matter b/c in a couple yrs with the technology growing like it is there will be something new out thats better... and the bad thing here is that these things cost a sh it load of money.. and the ppl who barely make ends meet won't be able to watch an occasional movie b/c they won't have a blu ray dvd player..

Dynasty
02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
i mean for software (like native support in windows instead of needing special drivers) i remember seeing it somewhere

revefsreleets
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
That's why I just bought a $60 upconvert DVD player. I can rent/play my SD DVD's and the picture, while not 1080, is still a lot better than it was. When everything gets sorted out, I'll buy a true HD DVD player.

GBMelBlount
02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
That's why I just bought a $60 upconvert DVD player. I can rent/play my SD DVD's and the picture, while not 1080, is still a lot better than it was. When everything gets sorted out, I'll buy a true HD DVD player.

I'm glad you like yours. I have seen a good number of the magnavox upconverting dvd players returned at Walmart. I have read that some have better upconvert capabilities than others. However, I also wonder if alot of people see the "1080" on the side of the box and think it is blowout price on a hi-def dvd player, only to be disappointed when they try to use it as a hi-def dvd player.

I read an article on avsforum a month ago discussing that even though blu-ray had some major victories as of late that Toshiba (HD DVD format) stated they were still fully committed to their format. Although I couldn't imagine any other response until the day the format war loser actually drops out. The format war is good and bad. The longer the war continues, the more likely prices will continue to drop but those waiting for a clear winner have had to continue to postpone their hi-def dvd player purchase.

The Duke
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
yeah, I've heard many people saying how they have problems with their upconverting dvd players, glad you have no problems with that rev

I hear things like constant freezing, and that's what stopped me from buying one, but I guess it's about looking for a really good one, or having some luck

I read an article on avsforum a month ago discussing that even though blu-ray had some major victories as of late that Toshiba (HD DVD format) stated they were still fully committed to their format. Although I couldn't imagine any other response until the day the format war loser actually drops out.

oh definitely, they aren't gonna give up on their product, even if it means losing money with it with it

all I know is once the format war is truly over I'll be spending a lot in this, but the wait would have been worth

The Duke
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
interesting........

Wal-Mart on Blu-ray bandwagon
Retailer will only sell Sony's hi-def movie discs, phasing out Toshiba's HD-DVD discs in its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores this year.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD formatted discs over the next several months.

Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.

"We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a statement.

Wal-Mart said it would continue selling HD-DVD products, but over the next 30 days, customers will see a significant shift in emphasis to Blu-ray in both brick-and-mortar stores and online. The retailer said it will continue to sell DVDs and standard-definition hardware.

Wal-Mart is the latest movie vendor to choose Blu-ray over HD-DVD. Earlier this week, online movie rental company Netflix (NFLX) announced its support for Blu-ray, and said it would phase out HD-DVD as well. Video publishers Walt Disney (DIS, Fortune 500), Sony's Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s (NWS, Fortune 500) Twentieth Century Fox, and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have all endorsed Blu-ray.

In a rivalry that mirrors the Betamax-VHS dispute of the 1970s, Sony (SNE) and Toshiba have been battling each other to define the industry's hi-definition video standard. The winner will see a boost in the sale of hardware needed to play the hi-definition discs.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/technology/wal-mart_blu-ray/index.htm?cnn=yes

with this, HD-DVD is done very soon

revefsreleets
02-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Yup, that's pretty much the death knell for HD DVD.

Yeah, I'm really, really pleased with my upconvert. I figured don't buy the cheapest, and don't buy the most expensive, and this thing was on sale down from like $90 or something. Again, the picture isn't as good as full HD, but it's SO much better than standard DVD.

The Duke
02-19-2008, 04:17 AM
well, that's it.......

AP Toshiba quits HD DVD business

TOKYO - Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.
ADVERTISEMENT

The company said in a statement that the decision followed a thorough review of its overall strategy.

The move would make Blu-ray — backed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, and five major Hollywood movie studios — the winner in the battle over high-definition DVD formatting that began several years ago.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at the company's offices in Tokyo.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

TOKYO (AP) — Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.

The company said in a statement that the decision followed a thorough review of its overall strategy.

The move would make Blu-ray — backed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, and five major Hollywood movie studios — the winner in the battle over high-definition DVD formatting that began several years ago.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at the company's offices in Tokyo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toshiba;_ylt=Attn5JFYeNlyqkEyBLPRoWWs0NUE

revefsreleets
02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Took, what? 3 days?

Hammer67
02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
HD-DVD has 20gb of space on it
Blu-Ray has 25gb of space on it

the two are incompatible with each other.

Blu-Ray is also being used for Video games on the PS3.

other then that, not many differences.

and on a 13" TV you wont see any differences between Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, or even VHS

Not that it matters now that Blu Ray won but there were differences greater then that. HD-DVD was the direct descendant of DVD and they are (were) cheaper to produce then Blu-Ray. The sizes mentioned are single sided discs. HD-DVD had more mature feature sets for their players and Blu-Ray features are a work in progress but I believe the PS3 helped swing the pendulum over to the Blu Ray side as it resulted in greater market penetration.

Technically, from picture/sound standpoint...no difference.

Hammer67
02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Glad I sat this one out. My parents owned an early rental store in the early 80's...network Video...I remember we had Beta and VHS tapes side by side and rented out both players. That format war sucked. At least this one was over before most people adopted one or the other. They only had 2 or 3 percent penetration into the market.

Now if only Blu Ray will get a decent player for under $300!!!

Preacher
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Yep.

I purprosefully sat this one out as well, waiting to see who won. Sadly, I also sat around until JUST AFTER my buying power went down quite a bit :dang:

Hammer67
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Yep.

I purprosefully sat this one out as well, waiting to see who won. Sadly, I also sat around until JUST AFTER my buying power went down quite a bit :dang:

Doh! Sorry to hear that, man. On the flip side...mine went up exponentially so I am going to buy one shortly...I will give a review.

Unfortunately...from what I read, the best Blu Ray player at the moment is the PS3! I don't want another console! I have the 360 already!

The Duke
02-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately...from what I read, the best Blu Ray player at the moment is the PS3! I don't want another console! I have the 360 already!

its just rumors but........I've heard that microsoft is planning a blu ray add on for the 360

here, I found this

http://n4g.com/tech/News-112462.aspx

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/xbox-360-blu-ray-player-rumor-returns-right-on-cue/

Borski
02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
A real shame walmart gets to control what we can buy.

It was over before Walmart announced that, just not officially

The Duke
02-21-2008, 03:16 AM
It was over before Walmart announced that, just not officially

exactly

walmart was like the last straw, the tip of the iceberg

it was bound to happen, and I'm glad I can finally think about buying a blu ray player

now just comes the hard part, deciding on one, all the research, the reviews ........it'll be fun :thumbsup: