PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley: What do you think?

brsteelers
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm really thinking that Woodley is going to be another one of the Steelers outstanding linebackers. You can't say that the guy came out of nowhere by any means as he was a star at a big college. But the fact that he didn't go until the second round (and after Timmons with us) could make this another big time draft pick by the Steelers.

So how good does everyone think he's going to turn out? Here's an article on him below from RealFootball365.com:

No surprises: LaMarr Woodley can play

Despite winning the Lombardi Award as a senior (given to the best lineman in the country) then Michigan defensive end LaMarr Woodley was only drafted in the second round by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thus, the fact that he was able to accumulate 14 tackles, four sacks, and one forced fumble during the 2007 regular season as an outside linebacker was probably pretty impressive to the novice spectator, especially considering his limited playing time and draft status. What's more, Woodley once again showed that he could come up big in big games in the playoff loss against Jacksonville where he accumulated two sacks and three tackles.

Should we be surprised by this? No. The fact is that LaMarr Woodley has been playing football at a very high level, particularly in big games, for a long time. The reason why he fell to the second round was that his height and timed speed weren't perfect for the NFL brass.

Consider the following: As a defensive end for the University of Michigan Wolverines in 2006, the 6-foot-2, 270 pound Woodley posted 36 tackles, 12 sacks, 16.5 tackles for loss, and four forced fumbles. He did this after impressing the Michigan faithful with 48 tackles, five sacks, and 12 tackles for loss in 2005 (after missing two games).

There were also the 70 tackles, four sacks, and 16 tackles for loss he posted during his sophomore season.

During his stint with the Wolverines, Woodley clearly proved to be a hard hitter, outstanding pass rusher, and was solid against the run. In addition, he was always at his best in big games, as was noted earlier. How about the four tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble he put up against the hated Ohio State Buckeyes in 2005? Then there were the four tackles for a loss he posted against Penn State as a junior?

In case you don't remember that great Rose Bowl contest against the Texas Longhorns back in 2005, Vince Young wasn't the only guy to play well. Woodley ended up sharing the Rose Bowl MVP Award with him.

Word is that LaMarr Woodley will likely be starting next season at outside linebacker for the Steelers. When you break it down, this would seem to remind everyone of the following.

Speed in the 40 yard dash, size, and other measurables have their place. However, nothing should be more important in determining draft position than how you've played.

LaMarr Woodley is a football player. Thus, his play is another reminder that this is more important than height, weight, and a 40 time any day of the week

skinart82
02-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I can't wait till Woodley hits the field!!!! He could easily lead the league in sacks and takles for loss.

Steeldude
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
we will have to wait and see.

RJC
02-12-2008, 05:49 PM
How awesome woud it have been had we traded down into the late 1st and had been able to get WR Anthony Gonzalez, ILB David Harris, and Woodley?

The Duke
02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
How awesome woud it have been had we traded down into the late 1st and had been able to get WR Anthony Gonzalez, ILB David Harris, and Woodley?

hmm.........regardless of what timmons may become, those 3 picks would have been awesome :thumbsup:

we will have to wait and see.

true, he showed a lot in limited time last season, but let's see if he carries it over to 2008

but just a feeling.......he and james together will have over 20 sacks in 08

19ward86
02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
im pretty sure he was the #1 OLB/DE coming out of high school, then had a magnificent career with the wolverines. He is our version of adalius thomas. i think that we need to sign him to a long, long, long term contract after this season so he never gets away.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Or an offensive linemen.:dang:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I can't wait to see these quarterbacks become the middle of a Harrison/Woodley sandwich!

Give It To Abercrombie
02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm in the 'wait and see' group, but he showed so much potential. Very exciting.

lilyoder6
02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
i hope woodly has a phenom of a yr, he'll most likely get stringer in the offseason just too man handle the tackles..

paw-n-maul-u
02-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I just hope woodley stays healthy enough to play all 16 games.

He is too much of a talent not to produce on the field. Haggans will not be missed at all. Woodley made plays all over the field this year, in coverage, and esp. in pass coverage in very limited time.

BRINGIN THE WOOD.

lilyoder6
02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
we'll actually have a good pass rush and run stop rush coming from both sides of the field not just one and half..

Lord Stiller
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Woodley is an instant upgrade over Haggans. We all know he can get to the QB. IMO, he is pretty good in pass coverage and that is something that should improve. I want to see him get a little tougher against the run

BlastFurnace
02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I liked the Woodley pick when I saw it happen. I think he will be a tremendous pass rusher from the LOLB position.

The pick I am still holding my breath on is the Timmons pick.

zulater
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but let's not forget this time last year many of us Steeler fans had Anthony Smith as a future all pro safety. :dang:

But I've got to admit that it's hard not to get excited about what we've seen so far. :banana:

Mistah_Q
02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but let's not forget this time last year many of us Steeler fans had Anthony Smith as a future all pro safety. :dang:

But I've got to admit that it's hard not to get excited about what we've seen so far. :banana:I was against the Woodley pick when it happened -- but I've been converted. I think it's premature to call him a big-time all-star, but we've had worse second round picks, that's for sure. I'd say, cautiously optimistic is about right. I'm more worried about Timmons right now, (and praying that McBean can do something as well)

steelpride12
02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
With the Wood on one side and Harrison on the other, and the 2 vets in the middle we could have one of the best LB corp in the league.
Woodley caught my attention pretty quick seeing his speed and athleticism on the field was a huge surprise and the 3.5 sacks in 5 snaps is crazy.
Over time he will become a known name around the league!

Galax Steeler
02-13-2008, 03:29 AM
He is and instant upgrade just watching him in limited playing time last year I really love watching him play.

stillers4me
02-13-2008, 08:07 AM
I was excited when we picked him up.

Woodley is going to a be a star. And hopefully that will light a fire under Timmons.

lilyoder6
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
i still think smith is going ot be a good safety, he justs needs to develop like evry other safety coming into the league

Dino 6 Rings
02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
The man is a beast, and although I thought taking LBs 1 and 2 last year was a mistake, the talent eval for the Steelers really found something with this guy.

Hopefully, the very young but talented Timmons can prove to be the 1st rounder he was drafted as and improve his game and help this team on the defensive side of the ball. I do not want Tomlin's first 1st round pick to turn out to be a bust. It would take forever to live that down, especially when you look at the last 1st rounders we've taken, Troy, Ben, Miller, Holmes...all playmakers.

zulater
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I was excited when we picked him up.

Woodley is going to a be a star. And hopefully that will light a fire under Timmons.

I haven't given up on him but based on the lack of playing time he was getting towards the end of the year it's apparent that Tomlin and LeBeau didn't feel as if he was moving in the right direction. It seems evident to me that Smith not only has an uphill struggle to gain a starting job in next years lineup, but also is no sure thing to make the opening day roster. I'd hate to see another first day pick go down in flames, but better that than to have a non player occupy a roster spot that would be better used on a more productive player.

lilyoder6
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
timmons and smith will make a roster spot.. timmons did a good job on st when he did play.. hopefully he can still produce on st if he can't beat out foote or farrior

Elvis
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
How can anyone give up on a player after just one season? Come on now everyone, give the guy a chance and lets see what happens. If he hasnt done anything after this upcoming season, then you may start to worry along with me, until then I just hope that the guy beats out Larry Foote at ILB and is a Steelers mainstay for many, many years to come.
:cheers:

SteelersJW
02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
LaMarr's a frickin beast. He finished up strong at the end of last season and didn't dissapoint me the way Timmons did. After the success he had starting at Michigan I can't wait to see him start this year.

I wonder if he'll stay over 260 again?

revefsreleets
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
This is exactly where the "rubber hits the road". The people who saw Woodley play week after week in college know exactly why the Steelers picked him, and the people who didn't merely speculate.

Woodley is a playmaker. He is ALWAYS flying to the ball, always making big plays (splash plays, as Tomlin would call them). He's a tad undisciplined, and can play out of control, but that stuff is coachable. Killer instinct is not, and you either have it or you don't. Woodley has it in spades. Barring injury, he'll be a stud LB and mainstay for years.

lilyoder6
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
i think that he also learned a lot from not playing that much form the vets like harrison, haggans and the other 2.. so it was a good season for him to learn and show that he has great potential..

Rhee Rhee
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
one word: STUD

the man is the next merrimen w/o the roids... i look forward to watching him year in and year out in hawaii

Galax Steeler
02-14-2008, 03:25 AM
LaMarr's a frickin beast. He finished up strong at the end of last season and didn't dissapoint me the way Timmons did. After the success he had starting at Michigan I can't wait to see him start this year.

I wonder if he'll stay over 260 again?

I agree about woodley but we need to give timmons a chance he had injuries early in the year and did not get as much playing time as woodley.

Elvis
02-14-2008, 05:21 AM
I agree about woodley but we need to give timmons a chance he had injuries early in the year and did not get as much playing time as woodley.
:thumbsup:
No doubt about it...
You got that statement right on the head:cheers:

DACEB
02-14-2008, 06:27 AM
This is exactly where the "rubber hits the road". The people who saw Woodley play week after week in college know exactly why the Steelers picked him, and the people who didn't merely speculate.

Woodley is a playmaker. He is ALWAYS flying to the ball, always making big plays (splash plays, as Tomlin would call them). He's a tad undisciplined, and can play out of control, but that stuff is coachable. Killer instinct is not, and you either have it or you don't. Woodley has it in spades. Barring injury, he'll be a stud LB and mainstay for years.

Great post!!

As many articles have stated, he's also a student of the game!!

Dragonrider
02-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Woodley on one side and the Silverback on the other. In the immortal words of LOD's Hawk, "what a rush!"

Steelerstrength
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Speculate til the cows come home! No reason to be pompous. Wood has it! Silverback has it!

Some of us know it when we see it, and smell it, cause we've tasted it! It's that innate behavior that allows one to become a champion of their chosen sport.

Others have a gut instinct that works very well for them, while some base their opinion on intellect or experience. All are valid. :thumbsup:

Preacher
02-18-2008, 11:58 PM
I actually still have high hopes for Timmons. With all the time he missed last year with that injury, he was WAY behind. That happens, I have no problem with it in the long run. What I do want to see however, is a strong showing from him this year. He needs to be able to move into the inside. If he can perform there, well, we are set in 3 of the 4 LB positions for years to come. I still think Smith will be a great FS. He needed this time to grow up, and he got it. Thus, the only thing on D I want to see changed is a second CB, and some upgrades on the line starting NEXT DRAFT... not this one.

Rhee Rhee
02-19-2008, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Preacher;367949 I still think Smith will be a great FS. He needed this time to grow up, and he got it. [/QUOTE]

i still have my doubts about anthony but if he proves me wrong our D will be set. and as you said a 2nd CB would be nice... (we could look at dajuan morgan from NC state to play CB early and then eventually become our FS)

MDSteel15
02-20-2008, 12:32 AM
LaMarr "The Wood" Woodley a.k.a. Next Great Steeler :tt02:
Glad everyone said he was too slow and he drooped to round 2! Should have been side by side with UM teammate Harris!!!