PDA

View Full Version : Some Free Agents That Have Value

aclark99
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Interesting releases today - Alge Crumpler, TE and John Welbourn, T.

Welbourn could be an interesting pick-up. He does have value at his position. The only problem would be that he considered retirement a few years ago. He is still somewhat young and could only help. He would have to come to the Steelers at a good rate.

Crumpler would be a great addition when we go two TE's. With him and Miller we would have a great duo and can really do alot on offense with 2 WR & 2TE sets. It would really set up some interesting match-ups.

Any ideas from Steeler Nation!!!!!

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Wayne Gandy, O-tackle...has my interest.

The Duke
02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
steelers used a 3r round pick on spaeth last year, I don't think they will go for a tight in FA. he's young and still has lots to learn

Welbourn could be good , don't know much about him but some competition never hurts, but I still think the way to address the tackle position is through the draft right ow

HometownGal
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I'd love to have Alge Crumpler in the B & G, but we have Miller & Spaeth, both of whom are young and have a ton of potential.

As for Welbourn - thanks but no thanks. He's 31 years old and has missed 10 games in 2 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Sounds like he might be a good fit for the Cheatriots* or the Bungles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2630529

jjpro11
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM
ty law is about to be cut.. dont really think we need him though.

tony hipchest
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
always liked wayne gandy. funny guy and seemed like a great teammate.

Preacher
02-15-2008, 04:20 PM
ty law is about to be cut.. dont really think we need him though.

For the right price, I would bring Law in... Let him come in on the dime packages...

Also give him a chance to teach some of our youngens how to really play the game. Who knows, he may even take over at CB for a year or two still.

Hines0wnz
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM

Read that article and popped right over here for the same reason. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
No to Crumpler.

There is a reason why we spent a #1 round pick on Miller and a #3 on Spaeth and we don't even use them enough in my opinion. One of the last things we need on this roster is another TE.

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe, this FA market will actually hurt the Oline market value, if so many guys end up on the cut block or trading block, it could drop the cost.

wishful thinking on my part.

Rhee Rhee
02-15-2008, 05:47 PM
For the right price, I would bring Law in... Let him come in on the dime packages...

Also give him a chance to teach some of our youngens how to really play the game. Who knows, he may even take over at CB for a year or two still.

agreed... he would give us a stop-gap solution untill we find our #2 CB... (i still don't think mcfadden is the one and im guessing we should look for another one through the draft)

y not on gandy... didnt he play for us a while back? y not bring him in... he could surprise

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Gandy, suffered a torn ACL...in Oct of 07...he might come cheaper than we expect.

19ward86
02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
steelers dont need a player with an attitude(crumpler). steelers need youth so more than likely they will draft an OT so it would be pointless to bring in a guy from free agency.

ShutDown24
02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Crumpler was released? Wow

lilyoder6
02-15-2008, 09:08 PM
i know he has been the best weapon on the off for some time now.. and leftwich gone after a half season.

Steeler in Carolina
02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
No to Crumpler. That guy has the possibility to hit 300 lbs this year.

Galax Steeler
02-16-2008, 05:12 AM
No to Crumpler. That guy has the possibility to hit 300 lbs this year.

Agreed we don't need him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Oh boy...I dont know. Gandy has been in the league so long that he has actually played for the Los Angeles Rams.

36 years old

To put it into perspective...He played 4 years for the Steelers....BUT played in the league 5 years prior to that...and 5 years since.

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh boy...I dont know. Gandy has been in the league so long that he has actually played for the Los Angeles Rams.

36 years old

To put it into perspective...He played 4 years for the Steelers....BUT played in the league 5 years prior to that...and 5 years since.

He's old, but he'll come a lot cheaper than some other guys and could be a solid back up and could teach our future draft pick some tricks. That's all I'm saying. No way he's the fix for our O-line, but for the short term, he could plug up a hole.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
He's old, but he'll come a lot cheaper than some other guys and could be a solid back up and could teach our future draft pick some tricks. That's all I'm saying. No way he's the fix for our O-line, but for the short term, he could plug up a hole.

I dont know..I think Marvel can teach the younger players anything that Wayne can...and Marvel costs us now more that what we are already paying him.

MDSteel15
02-17-2008, 12:24 AM
The thing about Crumpler would be, if he came at a $$$ cut, to a winning team, maybe he would lose the attitude(Moss, TO)... Plus it would get rid of the other 2-3-4 dead weight TEs we have! Leave us with him, Heath and Matt for any and all schemes our moronic OC tries to come up with.

SteelPastor
02-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Wayne Gandy is 37 years old! THIRTY SEVEN! If we are going to be in that bad of shape... then we are cooked.

Rhee Rhee
02-17-2008, 03:49 AM
steelers dont need a player with an attitude(crumpler)

i don't think crumpler has an attitude problem...

he basically was F-ed over by his coach and the only man that passed to him... i'd personally be pissed if my coach just left cause we weren't winning and my QB got jailed for his own stupidity....

he never spoke a word when vick was playing and the team was doing so-so... it's when the team sucked and the coach left when he started speaking his mind...

lilyoder6
02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
yeah that is true, when vick was playing crump was his main guy to throw to, oh well, maybe he can go into a better organization

Dino 6 Rings
02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Grump is a pretty good player, but he doesn't address our issues.

Tackle, Guard, Center...so...

nicesteel4life
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Looks like Kendrell Bell is going to be released, HMMMMMMMMMM
Could he help us?????

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Looks like Kendrell Bell is going to be released, HMMMMMMMMMM
Could he help us?????

Couldnt stay on the field in KC...and that was with a team with little depth at LBer. Seems like he is always banged up.

The_WARDen
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Interesting releases today - Alge Crumpler, TE and John Welbourn, T.

Welbourn could be an interesting pick-up. He does have value at his position. The only problem would be that he considered retirement a few years ago. He is still somewhat young and could only help. He would have to come to the Steelers at a good rate.

Crumpler would be a great addition when we go two TE's. With him and Miller we would have a great duo and can really do alot on offense with 2 WR & 2TE sets. It would really set up some interesting match-ups.

Any ideas from Steeler Nation!!!!!

No! No more TEs that we rarely use! They have a good one in Heath Miller...use him!

lilyoder6
02-18-2008, 05:36 PM
mushin is a old, and he real probably be asking for good money not big money but he won't take small money i bet

BlastFurnace
02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Wayne Gandy is 37 years old! THIRTY SEVEN! If we are going to be in that bad of shape... then we are cooked.

Great point. He's too old. This will not happen and shouldn't even be entertained unless it is strictly for veteran minimum backup purposes. If he starts for any other reason, we are in deep trouble.

Elvis
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
L.J. Shelton OT Dolphins