PDA

View Full Version : Steelers glad to let Patriots off hook

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Steelers glad to let Patriots off hook
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 16, 2008

Steelers linebacker James Farrior was in a jovial mood Thursday. He basked in the sunshine and warmth of Florida while helping famed speed coach Tom Shaw train prospective linebackers for the upcoming NFL draft.
When asked about Spygate and what if any competitive advantage that filming the Steelers' defensive signals gave the New England Patriots in the four meetings between the teams since 2001, a relaxed Farrior didn't offer the anticipated angry retort.

"They're probably not the only team that ever did that," Farrior said. "If they did tape it, I'm mad that we didn't do it first.

"Everybody's trying to gain that little bit of a competitive edge. I wish our coaches would have thought of that first, so that we might have (more) championship rings."

Farrior, a team captain who led the Steelers in tackles last season and is noted for possessing a dry wit, appeared to be joking. But there was some truth in his words.

In a copycat league where teams steal the newest trends from each other without shame, stealing signals is nothing new. It's just that New England took the art form to a new level.

That's why commissioner Roger Goodell dropped the hammer on the Patriots for filming the New York Jets' defensive signals from the sideline during their 2007 opener.

The $750,000 question is: Did Goodell's punishment fit the crime? Did Goodell go far enough, or did he allow New England to wiggle off the hook?

That's what Sen. Arlen Specter, who wedged his way into the Spygate scandal, intends to find out.

"It depends on how the coaches and players use it, but it definitely can be beneficial sometimes," said Farrior, who joined the Steelers in 2002 after spending his first five seasons with the Jets. "If you know what a guy's doing or what the play's going to be, that's going to give you an advantage.

"But if you're just looking at the tape and trying to figure out what the signals are going to be, coaches do that all the time anyway, I think."

Farrior and everyone else in the Steelers organization continue to present a unified front and spew the company line regarding Spygate: See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney released a statement that not only supported New England's punishment but also supported any future punishment that Goodell may levy, if Specter's investigation unearths more dirt.

It's almost as if the Steelers are aligned with the Patriots in this case. In one sense, maybe they are.

The NFL is big, big business -- first, last, always.

Like it or not, Steelers fans -- and many of them don't like it at all -- the Steelers and Patriots are business partners.

Don't forget that what's good for the Steelers is also good for the Patriots, who made history when they teamed with the New York Giants to produce the second-highest rated television show of all-time at Super Bowl XLII.

Spygate or no Spygate, the NFL is in the midst of unmatched popularity

TackleMeBen
02-16-2008, 08:37 AM
That's why commissioner Roger Goodell dropped the hammer on the Patriots for filming the New York Jets' defensive signals from the sideline during their 2007 opener.
it must have been a very soft hammer.. like the one you give a toddler to play with... b/c i dont think he punished them hard enough. where is the sledgehammer???:sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I do understand that the Steelers and the Patriots work for the same employer and I can see where virtually any currently employed owner or coach "needs" to tow the company line.

HOWEVER...the FANS have EVERY right to demand a full accounting of what happened and we shouldnt be influenced by anyone working for "the company", even if it is our beloved Steelers.

To put it into percepective, I work for a Police department. If one of our officers accepts a free breakfast every day as a gratuity, gets caught doing it, and is suspended. I would fully expect our department to say,"yea, he got caught and he was punished, its been taken care of and we need to move on"...and I would expect other police agencies to say "It happens all the time, He just happened to get caught"

But the public has a right to be outraged at the officers behavior and the , at least, perceived notion that the establishment giving out freebies may get favorable treatment over other businesses.

What Rooney and Farrior say, and what stance they take has no bearing on how I feel about this scandal. I still respect both of them and understand why they have to say what they do....But I also want the rights of all of us, who support this "company" with our hard earned cash, to be recognized and respected enough to have a full investigation.

TackleMeBen
02-16-2008, 09:14 AM
But I also want the rights of all of us, who support this "company" with our hard earned cash, to be recognized and respected enough to have a full investigation.

:iagree:
i dont think they are sorry they did it. they are just sorry they got caught.

HometownGal
02-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I think we Steelers fans should also file a class-action lawsuit against the Pats*. :cheer: Every fan base of the other 31 teams should imho.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 09:28 AM
This isn't about competitive advantage. This is about the fact that the NFL is the beneficiary of certain protections from the US Government. Specifically the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. That piece of law allows the NFL to pool all their teams together for the purpose of TV and cable contracts. If that piece of law were to be repealed, the NFL would loose significant clout in negotiating their TV contracts. Teams could run off to whoever they wanted to in order to negotiate deals for their own TV and cable rights. Imagine the Steelers having an exclusive deal with TNT. How about every Patriots game being on CBS nationally?

The NFL is on very thing ice and Goddell had better wake up and realize that quick.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 09:41 AM
This isn't about competitive advantage. This is about the fact that the NFL is the beneficiary of certain protections from the US Government. Specifically the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. That piece of law allows the NFL to pool all their teams together for the purpose of TV and cable contracts. If that piece of law were to be repealed, the NFL would loose significant clout in negotiating their TV contracts. Teams could run off to whoever they wanted to in order to negotiate deals for their own TV and cable rights. Imagine the Steelers having an exclusive deal with TNT. How about every Patriots game being on CBS nationally?

The NFL is on very thing ice and Goddell had better wake up and realize that quick.

...and THAT is the hammer that Specter is holding over Goodell's head.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 10:23 AM
...and THAT is the hammer that Specter is holding over Goodell's head.

The problem is that Goddell, and the owners, don't seem to understand what this means. Maybe they should ask the NBA and MLB what it means to not have control over the broadcast rights of every single team in the league.

If the act is repealed, the NFL will loose millions, if not billions, of dollars. Goddell needs to pull his head out of his butt and be serious with this situation instead of pretending like the NFL is bullet proof.

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I think we Steelers fans should also file a class-action lawsuit against the Pats*. :cheer: Every fan base of the other 31 teams should imho.

We should get the majority share of it. Considering New England cheated us out of history of being an 18-1 team to WIN the Super Bowl.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 10:30 AM
A lawsuit against the Patriots has no legs and will be laughed out of court. There's no way that anyone can prove that the Patriots' actions in any way affected the outcome of those games. Any lawsuit at this point is going to look like the ultimate sour grapes move.

If you want some action, call Arlen Specter and Bob Casey and tell them to keep pushing the NFL to give some hard answers. And as much as it might pain some of you, you should also call the Steelers' offices and leave messages for Dan Rooney and tell him to stop parroting the party line and take a stand.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
A lawsuit against the Patriots has no legs and will be laughed out of court. There's no way that anyone can prove that the Patriots' actions in any way affected the outcome of those games. Any lawsuit at this point is going to look like the ultimate sour grapes move.

If you want some action, call Arlen Specter and Bob Casey and tell them to keep pushing the NFL to give some hard answers. And as much as it might pain some of you, you should also call the Steelers' offices and leave messages for Dan Rooney and tell him to stop parroting the party line and take a stand.

ACTUALLY...you dont have to sue based on outcome... (The outcome is not as relevent as being sold a product other than what was advertised)...but rather on false advertising and misrepresentation. There is most definately an implied "fairness" in regards to the competitive nature of professional sports. Any fan can state that they were misled by that implication and would not have bought a ticket had they known.

Now....even more alarming. There is "legalized" betting in this country and in other countries that live and die on the premise of this "fairness"...What happens if all those who lost money on betting against the Patriots, suddenly want to start litigation?

Hmmmmm...Does anyone else see why Goodell would like to make this "go away"?

k7brown
02-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Now....even more alarming. There is "legalized" betting in this country and in other countries that live and die on the premise of this "fairness"...What happens if all those who lost money on betting against the Patriots, suddenly want to start litigation?

I didnt think about that. This could get awfully messy.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 12:16 PM
ACTUALLY...you dont have to sue based on outcome... (The outcome is not as relevent as being sold a product other than what was advertised)...but rather on false advertising and misrepresentation. There is most definately an implied "fairness" in regards to the competitive nature of professional sports. Any fan can state that they were misled by that implication and would not have bought a ticket had they known.

But the NFL could claim that they didn't discover the cheating until after the fact, therefore the product they presented was as fair as it could be.

Look, I'd love to see the corrupt little clan of NFL owners and the NFL front office go up in flames as much as anyone. But if it's going to happen, it's going to take a repeal of the law I mentioned earlier to do so. Any financial loss the league suffers would be mitigated by that same little clan of owners withdrawing their franchises from the NFL and forming a new league. You don't think a network like TNT or VS would jump at the chance to broadcast a 16 team league formed from the ashes of the old NFL? Imagine this setup if you will:

East:

Miami Dolphins
New England ? (Patriots could be dissolved if they were named a co-defendant in any civil case)
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants

Central:

Pittsburgh Steelers
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Cleveland Browns

South:

Dallas Cowboys
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers

West:

Arizona Cardinals
LA ? (Relocation or new team)
Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks

Just imagine.....

polamalu82
02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
It seems to me all this hinges on what Matt Walsh may have. In any event I would like to know everything they did as far as taping other teams over the past 7 years.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 12:47 PM
But the NFL could claim that they didn't discover the cheating until after the fact, therefore the product they presented was as fair as it could be.

Since the Patriots fall under the NFL umbrella and the Patriots are governed by NFL guidelines...I am 99% sure that the NFL could be held as a co defendent, responsible for failing to set in place any safeguards and checks that would ensure their "product" was following those guidelines.
If the NFL held no responsibility towards ensuring these guidlines ...they most assuredly would not be able to "punish" a team after the fact. The handing out of fines and taking away of draft picks proves that the NFL is hand and glove with the individual teams.
For example...911 Dispatch centers are entities unto themselves, however, over and over again the COUNTY is also named as a co-defendent whenever a dispatch center is sued.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Since the Patriots fall under the NFL umbrella and the Patriots are governed by NFL guidelines...I am 99% sure that the NFL could be held as a co defendent, responsible for failing to set in place any safeguards and checks that would ensure their "product" was following those guidelines.
If the NFL held no responsibility towards ensuring these guidlines ...they most assuredly would not be able to "punish" a team after the fact. The handing out of fines and taking away of draft picks proves that the NFL is hand and glove with the individual teams.
For example...911 Dispatch centers are entities unto themselves, however, over and over again the COUNTY is also named as a co-defendent whenever a dispatch center is sued.

I'm sure they could. But I guess what it comes to is if the NFL took appropriate precautions and if the Patriots went to extraordinary lengths to get around those precautions.

Bottom line is I don't envy any judge who'd have to preside over that case. A win by fans would mean the probably demise of the NFL as we know it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm sure they could. But I guess what it comes to is if the NFL took appropriate precautions and if the Patriots went to extraordinary lengths to get around those precautions.

Bottom line is I don't envy any judge who'd have to preside over that case. A win by fans would mean the probably demise of the NFL as we know it.

Agreed....Which explains why people like the Rooneys are saying its now a non-issue.

Thank You Belichick for being such an arrogant turd that you would let Rome burn around your ears in the search of a legacy.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Agreed....Which explains why people like the Rooneys are saying its now a non-issue.

Thank You Belichick for being such an arrogant turd that you would let Rome burn around your ears in the search of a legacy.

It does put Dan Rooney in a tough spot. I'm sure behind closed doors he's pissed as hell. But he'll fight to keep the NFL afloat even though I like my 16 team league better than what we have now.

19ward86
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
can someone say CLASS ACT?????

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 02:54 PM
can someone say CLASS ACT?????

Taking the company line isn't always being a class act. Sometimes it's just taking the company line.

Rhee Rhee
02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
it must have been a very soft hammer.. like the one you give a toddler to play with... b/c i dont think he punished them hard enough. where is the sledgehammer???:sofunny:

im thinking even smalller...

and it was probably a love tap...

Dino 6 Rings
02-16-2008, 03:06 PM
No Crying...I like it. Smash them in the face on the field next season. That'll settle it.

Jeremy
02-16-2008, 03:41 PM
No Crying...I like it. Smash them in the face on the field next season. That'll settle it.

They're not going to air their dirty laundry in public. But don't think for one second that the politics behind this thing are over yet.

Galax Steeler
02-17-2008, 07:36 AM
They're not going to air their dirty laundry in public. But don't think for one second that the politics behind this thing are over yet.

Agreed it is far from being over.

TeeJay
02-17-2008, 04:40 PM
I love James Farrior (In a guy way!) but I'm glad coach Noll wasn't around when he said that!

Seems to me the majority of teams are busting a gut to get things done as they should, but a small minority (always the case) are out for their own good!

If they are caught cheating...string the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterers up, and make an example of them!
Make it damn clear the NFL isn't going to stand for it (like cycling), and let everyone else compete on an even keel. Not profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter foot around and act like they don't know what's going on......Oh, hang on, I forgot, it's the Patriots. They are a law unto themselves.:coffee:

wow - lots of profanity filters in that post!

Stlrs4Life
02-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Just wait till this Walsh guy gets involved, more to come.