PDA

View Full Version : A Love Affair with Pittsburgh

TeeJay
02-17-2008, 01:41 PM
In my case, it's kinda like an internet chatroom I guess. You've never actually seen/met the person, yet you know them! :wink02:

So, yep.....I've never been to Pittsburgh, hell, I've never been to The States (gasps) but back in the early 80's on a fledgling channel in the UK, they started broadcasting American Football. From the first game I, like a lot of my fellow countrymen and women was hooked. Now they say, you don't actually pick you team, the team picks you. I guess that was the case for me....

I could have gone for The Redskins, The Raiders (apparently that was the team all the cool kids supported!!!) or the ever popular Dolphins.....but there was just something about the name, The Pittsburgh Steelers...............so in January 1985 they became my official American Football Team. Excuse my ignorance, but back then, I'd never heard of Bradshaw, Swan, Stallworth, Lambert, Ham, Harris, Greene, Noll et all, and at the mention of a Steel Curtain I assumed someone was talking about the cold war........I didn't even know where Pittsburgh was, just somewhere in the USA!! All I knew they played in Black and Gold.........and that beats Black and Silver (in your face Raiders fans:wink02:) any day! It was just something about that name...The Steelers.

So each year, I'd watch Channel 4 and their coverage of the games (an hour each week) with the only live game being the superbowl. As such, during those years, it seemed the only times The Steelers were ever shown they lost! *sighs*. And the chance of actually seeing The Steelers 'live' in a Super Bowl just seemed one step too far. But each year I was back, and still urging 'my boys' on - Even set my alarm a few times to listen in to the AFN radio broadcasts - which were fun!!! Intermitent commentary and static provided entertainment in the wee hours back then.

So here I am, 23 years later...loving The Steelers more than ever, and thanks to the internet and especially the Pittsburgh Steelers Radio Network, being able to bore you good people with stuff like this, and listen to live coverage without the squaking static that was the AFN...although I do look back on that with a certain nostalgia!. So what I'm really trying to say is.....a BIG Thanks to The Steelers......you don't know how happy I was after Super Bowl XL..No need for coffee at work that week..the ultimate buzz! To Pittsburgh, for letting me in join in the ride and openning my eyes to the Penguins and Pirates as well, and for sites like these. If only they had the internet when I was young!!! :dang: Win or lose, you know a Steeler is a Steeler for life, not just a SuperBowl *looks towards New England with a smug Tom Brady grin*

When I tell people at work that next year I'm going to the States for a holiday, and they ask where...Florida, New York, Los Angeles?, they kinda look at me funny when I say "No, Pittsburgh".

I can't think of a better place to go! :tt02::thumbsup:

Editted, in a sudo Jack Lambert voice :- And you damn well better believe I'm going to Heinz Field!

Mistah_Q
02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Pittsburgh is indeed a wonderful city to visit. Andy Warhol museum, the National Aviary, the Gateway Clipper dinner tours. . The Pirates may stink but PNC Park is a jewel. . . it's a beautiful city, and you can't beat the culture.

stillers4me
02-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow.......what a great post!

I was lucky enough to be born in western Pa. and the magic of being a Steelers fan was all around me and just a part of who I am. I moved to another city with an NFL team and there was just no way I can forget my roots and become a fan of any other team. (not being a Bengals fan is easy..........!) My sister lived in North Carolina and the people there are spit between the Redskins and the Panthers.........but it's not the same. It's not "in their blood" and they are no where near as passionate as Pittsburghers are about their sports teams.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Pittsburgh. It has become one of the most beautiful cities in the the country, the food is great, the people are warm and friendly (just tell them you're a Steelers fan and they will immediately "adopt" you!)

Lucky you to have felt the passion all the way across the pond! :cheers:

PisnNapalm
02-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Don't forget the views from the Incline, or the Carnegie Science Center and Point State Park .

You might try to schedule your vacation during the Three Rivers Regatta. Viewing the 4th of July fireworks from the top of Mount Washington is something to behold. Truly worth it.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/events/p/regatta.htm?rd=1

Lastly.... I left Pittsburgh when I was 18 and went off to college. Work and family now keeps me here near "Philthadelphia" but.... I would move back to Pittsburgh in a heartbeat if I could afford to do it.

That was a wonderful post to read. I know you'll enjoy Pittsburgh.

k7brown
02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I have been to the city of Pittsburgh probably close to 10-15 times in my life... which isnt too bad, considering I live in Ohio and that I am 19 yrs old. (4 of those were to attend a Steelers game, 1 at Three Rivers and 3 at Heinz Field). I absolutely love that City. It is a great place and I am hoping to take a trip there one of this weekends in the near future.

sherlock
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
What a great post TeeJay!
It had many echoes of my own circumstances and feelings....except I`ve only been a SteelerBoy for some oh 4 months!
I had to laugh when you said about going to America!...LA,NY,SF?,...No baby... PA!!
You are so right,the Steelers pick you.This youtube video did it for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZx3ZH7GUtE

It had something of a "young boys,in the park,jumpers for goalposts" feel to it.LOL

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Neat story. And some good advice there from pisnapalm.

TeeJay
02-22-2008, 07:05 PM
It has become one of the most beautiful cities in the the country, the food is great, the people are warm and friendly (just tell them you're a Steelers fan and they will immediately "adopt" you!) :

Well, the first items to be packed would be my my Roethlisberger, Lambert and Bradshaw jerseys, and my T-Shirt of a Dog Turd with a sign pointing to it stating 'Cleveland'. So adoption, here I come! :cheer:....(ok I made the T-Shirt up...but what a great T that would make)! :tt02:

Lucky you to have felt the passion all the way across the pond! :cheers:

Come September, there is only one sport that matters, and, no matter how far away, Steeler Nation is a Nation United.:helmet::cheers::tt02:

Steeler in Carolina
02-22-2008, 09:20 PM
I have only been to Pittsburgh a handful of times, but this past summer I took my son there for a couple of days. He absolutely loved it. We went on a Heinz Field tour, went to see the Pirates and went to the Carnegie Museum. He can't wait to go again, and it may end up being an annual trip.

SteelCityMan786
02-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I have only been to Pittsburgh a handful of times, but this past summer I took my son there for a couple of days. He absolutely loved it. We went on a Heinz Field tour, went to see the Pirates and went to the Carnegie Museum. He can't wait to go again, and it may end up being an annual trip.

Pittsburgh has actually been a trip my family and me make about 10-15 times a year. Outside of Hollidaysburg/State College, I don't think I have ever found a city that I have ever been so close to.