19ward86
02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
we have around 18 mil that we can spend right now:

1. if we cut tuman we save 1.5 mil
2. if we cut wilson we save 2 mil
3. that is 21.5mil
4. signing ben would take us down to around 15
5 draft picks and resigning some players takes us down to around 5-7
6. free agency? resign faneca? who knows...

just some info i found, wilson to get 2 mil?????????????helllll nooo!

TeeJay
02-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Personally, I'd like us to be able to keep Faneca and Cedric, but if neither is willing (or wants to accept) a paycut then they gotta go. Seems as in most sports these days there is no loyalty to a club - guess a few players could learn a thing or two from The Bus. And a player, playing for the love of the club, rather than a love of money, will give you more more than, what is really a hired mercenary!! And will earn the respec of the fans, who are after all, the people who pay his wages!

First things first - resign Ben...then move from there.

Just my two cents worth. :tt02:

lilyoder6
02-17-2008, 09:53 PM
well i would hope that ced would take a paycut he hasn't showed shit as a wr with us..

The Duke
02-17-2008, 09:56 PM
wilson to get 2 mil

what the hell! he better be gone, I thought it would be nice to have him at least as a backup again, but that's way too much cap space

cut him and get a "tall" receiver in the draft for ben

I liked his trick plays(I know he only did like 2) and having the option to do them with him on the roster, but he's just wasting our cap.

and I don't think he will ever take a paycut, after all we're talking about the same guy that complained much of his career in pittsburgh about not getting the ball thrown his way, only to drop it or be out of position when they did throw it to him

maybe he can join the bungles :thumbsup:

TeeJay
02-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Can we get Randle El and Plexico? :cheer:

One is a tall receiver, and the other will help with the special team issues!

*shifty eyes*

And then we can get Joey Porter cheap from Miami just to help shore up that D......to help stop those late season wobbles!

*extra shifty eyes*

Steel Pit
02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Personally, I'd like us to be able to keep Faneca and Cedric, but if neither is willing (or wants to accept) a paycut then they gotta go. Seems as in most sports these days there is no loyalty to a club - guess a few players could learn a thing or two from The Bus. And a player, playing for the love of the club, rather than a love of money, will give you more more than, what is really a hired mercenary!! And will earn the respec of the fans, who are after all, the people who pay his wages!

First things first - resign Ben...then move from there.

Just my two cents worth. :tt02:

Well Jerome Bettis didn't have much of a choice when it came to restructuring his contract. It was either take a significant pay cut or "there's the door Son". At that point in his career he certainly wasn't a sought after commodity. I'm sure that 3 or 4 teams would have showed interest in signing him to a LEAGUE MINIMUM contract.

Steel Pit
02-17-2008, 11:42 PM
we have around 18 mil that we can spend right now:

1. if we cut tuman we save 1.5 mil
2. if we cut wilson we save 2 mil
3. that is 21.5mil
4. signing ben would take us down to around 15
5 draft picks and resigning some players takes us down to around 5-7
6. free agency? resign faneca? who knows...

just some info i found, wilson to get 2 mil?????????????helllll nooo!

I hope that the Steelers keep Cedric Wilson. 2 mill isn't a lot of money for a player of his tenure. I like Ced, it seems as if he always produced when he was given one of his few opportunities. I can't think of the last time that I saw him drop a pass. In my opinion, the dude is a solid WR. If the Steelers don't find a "guaranteed-solid replacement" then I would prefer that they keep Wilson.

By the way 19Ward86, where's Pittsburgh, Ohio?

TeeJay
02-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Well Jerome Bettis didn't have much of a choice when it came to restructuring his contract. It was either take a significant pay cut or "there's the door Son". At that point in his career he certainly wasn't a sought after commodity. I'm sure that 3 or 4 teams would have showed interest in signing him for LEAGUE MINIMUM.

Ahh now you burst my bubble!! I just like the notion of a player playing for his team, because he loves the Team/City/People, more than an extra million in his bank account.

We all know that never happens much these days, but we can all dream!:thumbsup:

Steeldude
02-18-2008, 01:46 AM
personally i would like to see keisel cut. it opens up $3,250,000.

i never saw the keisel hype. he is pushed around on the line too much.

Steel Pit
02-18-2008, 03:08 AM
personally i would like to see keisel cut. it opens up $3,250,000.

i never saw the keisel hype. he is pushed around on the line too much.

Be careful now Steeldude, some of these forum members are VERY sensitive when one criticizes a member of our "3-4 Defensive line". We just don't have the necessary knowledge to understand the responsibilities of a defensive lineman in a 3-4 scheme.

Your perception of Brett Keisel's performance is totally off base. Keisel is not being pushed around, he's actually, 1. Occupying a blocker, 2. Taking care of his responsibility of coverage in the flats, and 3. Containing the running lanes that a mobile QB would otherwise take advantage of.

The lack of stats is insignificant in the case of a 3-4 defensive lineman. We must view them in much the same way that we view that smoke detector on the ceiling.
Although we rarely hear anything from it, it's D A M N well doing its job.

*Omission* The above is not the actual opinion of I. It's a brief synopsis of the very imformative opinions of some forum members in relation to the Steelers defensive lineman.

Steel Pit
02-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Ahh now you burst my bubble!! I just like the notion of a player playing for his team, because he loves the Team/City/People, more than an extra million in his bank account.

We all know that never happens much these days, but we can all dream!:thumbsup:

Agreed, I wish that it were that way but unfortunately it is in fact "No loyalty, $ and cents."

Galax Steeler
02-18-2008, 03:40 AM
bye bye wilson.:flap:

The Duke
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Be careful now Steeldude, some of these forum members are VERY sensitive when one criticizes a member of our "3-4 Defensive line". We just don't have the necessary knowledge to understand the responsibilities of a defensive lineman in a 3-4 scheme.

actually keisel, unlike aaron smith, wasn't playing very good this season

he's not as good as aaron when it comes to occupying blockers, and is better as a 3rd down pass rusher,although his 2 sacks nothing good

he also missed a lot of tackles, something aaron rarely does

I'm not saying he should be cut or anything, but maybe he should just be our 3rd down pass rusher and get someone in the draft to clog the line with aaron

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I hope that the Steelers keep Cedric Wilson. 2 mill isn't a lot of money for a player of his tenure. I like Ced, it seems as if he always produced when he was given one of his few opportunities. I can't think of the last time that I saw him drop a pass. In my opinion, the dude is a solid WR. If the Steelers don't find a "guaranteed-solid replacement" then I would prefer that they keep Wilson.

Yikes!!!...Wilson has FINALLY been regulated to 4th reciever, after averaging 23 catches per year since he got here...he also has managed 2 TD's in three years....We gotta let him go.

I know If I could only "score" twice in three years...my wife would chase me with a gun also.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2008, 11:56 AM
actually keisel, unlike aaron smith, wasn't playing very good this season

he's not as good as aaron when it comes to occupying blockers, and is better as a 3rd down pass rusher,although his 2 sacks nothing good

he also missed a lot of tackles, something aaron rarely does

I'm not saying he should be cut or anything, but maybe he should just be our 3rd down pass rusher and get someone in the draft to clog the line with aaron

Bengals put the franchise on Andrews today...so Justin Smith should be a FA.

Elvis
02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe Justin Smith would be ok, but how much of the 3-4 has he really played and is it too late for him to learn it?
:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-19-2008, 03:46 AM
Maybe Justin Smith would be ok, but how much of the 3-4 has he really played and is it too late for him to learn it?
:tt02:

I may be wrong..but I think that Kimo came from a 4-3.

Rhee Rhee
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I hope that the Steelers keep Cedric Wilson. 2 mill isn't a lot of money for a player of his tenure.

excuse me? are we talking about the same cedric wilson???

2 mil is a LOT of money!

FourThreeMafia
02-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I wish Steeler fans would realize that Justin Smith wouldnt be a 3-4 DE, he would be an OLB. If anything, he would be a situational pass rusher at 3-4 DE and in special packages in 2008. In 2009, he would probably take over at OLB, and Harrison would move inside to replace Farrior.

OLB Smith
ILB Harrison
ILB Timmons
OLB Woodley

It wont happen though.

As far as people wanting to replace Keisel, its not that easy. Keisel is very average, but he is still better than alot of other 3-4 DE's out there.

If we were to bring in a player to possibly replace Keisel, I would want Randy Starks. He is bigger, stronger and a good pass rusher. Not positive he could take over for Keisel, but of anyone on the FA market, I would want him.

And NO ONE we could get in the draft would come right in an take over for Keisel immediately.

So, like it or not, Keisel will be our starter in 2008.

FourThreeMafia
02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Oh, and Wilson's production doesnt justify what he is making. I doubt we cut him though.

jjpro11
02-19-2008, 11:20 PM

i have to agree.. wilson has played pretty consistently when he gets playing time.. he never drops a pass.. and he is the most consistent punt returner on our team.. even more so than rossum i'd say. when rossum went down, we were only one guy away from having to go to willie reid or santonio holmes on punt returns... and we all know we dont want to go through that again.

drew102e
02-21-2008, 08:40 AM
with the upcoming schedule and the amount of IRs last season, i dont wanna cut anybody in fact can we keep 85 on the roster just in case

Hapa
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Pittsburgh needs nasty D and power running game.
Ben is very good, and I want him back- but remember how good Pittsburgh was with a power running game and crazy good D line?
Anyone want a new Steel Curtain?

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Pittsburgh needs nasty D and power running game.
Ben is very good, and I want him back- but remember how good Pittsburgh was with a power running game and crazy good D line?
Anyone want a new Steel Curtain?

why?

willie parker was gonna win a rushing title...

we made the playoffs...

and we already have a steel curtain that was #1 in the league...

lilyoder6
02-24-2008, 11:01 AM
yeah.. it was just we had so many injuries near the end of the season that really hurt us... but the steelers will hopefully come back healthy and have a good season