PDA

View Full Version : Steel-x's HEATH MILLER Thread

Steel - X
10-28-2005, 01:46 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/steel-x/20050426mf_fbn_millerPJ01_450.jpg

Where I will post all my Heath Miller Props.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-10-26-rookie-miller_x.htm (The USA Today Article)

Try Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams.

How about dash?

Perhaps look to Dallas Cowboys linebacker Demarcus Ware.

But when mulling possible choices for unofficial NFL rookie of the midpoint honors, look beyond fairly obvious contenders and way, way down on the first-round draft list.

As in No. 30. That's where the Pittsburgh Steelers selected tight end Heath Miller.

The former University of Virginia standout is emerging as one of the Steelers' more reliable offensive players, something that's been a welcome sight to second-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who knows a thing or two about unexpectedly making a rapid rookie ascension.

"I told him if he keeps it up, he's going to break the touchdown record for Steelers tight ends," Roethlisberger said. "He is a threat in the middle and down the field."

Miller already has four touchdown receptions. That's more than halfway to the team-record seven scoring catches by rookie Eric Green in 1990.

A nagging groin injury made some teams leery of taking Miller higher, but he insisted at last winter's league scouting combine he would be fine, and the Steelers checked him out and happily grabbed him when he remained available.

Even lower down the list, there's wide receiver Brandon Jones of the Tennessee Titans, taken with the 96th selection. He leads all rookies with 21 catches for 274 yards.

The draft's No. 1 pick, meanwhile, has established himself as the unquestioned starting quarterback but not much else. Alex Smith has struggled mightily for the woeful San Francisco 49ers since replacing Tim Rattay.

"I'm still frustrated with it because I'm so accustomed to playing well," Smith told reporters this week.

"It's getting there. I just have to get patient with the growing process."

Steel - X
10-28-2005, 01:47 PM
"Rookie tight end Heath Miller has a touchdown catch in three consecutive games and, with four touchdowns, is tied with Mike Sellers of Washington and Randy McMichael of Miami for the NFL lead among tight ends. With 16 catches in seven games, Miller has as many receptions as a Pittsburgh tight end normally makes in two seasons."

Steel - X
10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
http://www.nflplayers.com/news/rookie.aspx (Week 7 Rookie of The Week)

Now We are getting noticed!

BB2W
10-31-2005, 01:23 PM
http://www.nflplayers.com/news/rookie.aspx (Week 7 Rookie of The Week)

Now We are getting noticed!
The link is dead... They need to put him on the Pro Bowl ballot.

Steel - X
10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
The link is dead... They need to put him on the Pro Bowl ballot.

Why would it work in your thread but not mine?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Todd Heap who ??????????????????

Steel - X
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
PITTSBURGH - Brett Keisel wears a yellow jersey in practice to indicate he's a defensive player, but there he was playing on a line of white-clad offensive players.

Keisel likes to stand out, but he looked like a penalty flag playing tight end at practice this week. The back-up defensive end took some reps at the position in case of an in-game emergency.

"Hey, that's why I went to BYU, to play tight end," Keisel crowed after practice. "Finally someone here recognizes my potential for greatness.

"Of course," Keisel added with a wide grin, "I'm not in a league with the great one here."

Next to Keisel's locker was rookie tight end Heath Miller. The first-round pick has started five games, but the last start marked his first in a single-tight end set.

Miller officially became the Steelers' starting tight end last Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals and he had two-thirds of Ben Roethlisberger's nine completions for 58 yards and a touchdown.

It was Miller's fourth touchdown in six games, putting him on pace to break the team record of nine touchdown catches by a Steelers tight end set way back in 1952 by Elbie Nickel, who was voted the franchise's all-time best player at the position in 1983.

Advertisement

In a mid-week press conference with Baltimore reporters, Steelers coach Bill Cowher brought up the other great Steelers tight end when he called Miller "an element we haven't had since Eric Green."

Green lasted only five years with the team, but he caught 198 passes for 2,681 yards and 24 touchdowns. Nickel spent 11 years with the Steelers and caught 329 passes for 5,131 yards and 37 touchdowns.

So far, Miller has caught 16 passes for 182 yards and four touchdowns, which projects to 43-486-11 for the season. So it's reasonable to expect Miller to chase the aforementioned numbers through the coming years and perhaps become known as the Steelers' greatest tight end.

Don't laugh; it could happen. Heath, what are your thoughts on the matter?

"My thoughts?" Miller asked. "Well, you heard that laughter I just gave."

Of course, this topic embarrasses the humble rookie.

"You know, I've played, what, six games here," he said. "I'm far from being called that, or even mentioned like that. I'm just trying to do the best I can to take care of my responsibilities and help us win.

"I know I've got a lot to learn. I know I can get better in a lot of ways, so I just have to keep that in mind and keep working every day."

Miller feels he needs to become more familiar with defenses because "the quicker you can recognize that and anticipate it, the better you can become as a route runner. Also, I think I can become a better blocker, too."

Miller had a lousy day blocking the Jacksonville Jaguars, but improved markedly Sunday against the Bengals. Still, his most impressive attribute is his pass catching. After all, he caught 144 passes at the University of Virginia.

"He's got great hands," said Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu. "I think that's the thing most people notice."

"He's a tall guy who can bend his knees and get down in the run game," said offensive coordinator Ken Whinsenhunt. "But the most impressive thing about him as a receiver is he catches everything away from his body and he's got strong hands. That's what's impressive about him."

So Miller has big, strong hands and uses them perfectly. But what's the key to getting open in the middle of the field?

"You try to use your body," said the 6-foot-5, 256-pound Miller. "I realize that I'm a big guy and a lot of times I'm bigger than the defensive backs. So whenever the ball's up there you try to use your body to your advantage."

Did he play basketball?

"A little bit. I could rebound. I couldn't shoot though."

Miller was better known at Honaker (Va.) High for the way he put those big, soft hands to use as the two-time all-state quarterback. So he's yet another in a long line of Steelers who used to play quarterback, but unlike Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Deshea Townsend, Cedrick Wilson and the others, Miller wouldn't go back to the position even if he could.

"I like to mix it up a little bit," Miller said. "You don't get to hit anybody when you play quarterback; you're always getting hit."

Old school all the way. Elbie Nickel, beware.

BB2W
11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Heath has the most TD catches in a rookie's first eight games since 1954!!! :cool:

Prosdo
11-01-2005, 11:36 AM
This guy is really becoming something special for this team. Keep up the great work Heath!

Steel - X
11-01-2005, 01:59 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15489733&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6 (Beaver County Times)

PITTSBURGH - When the Pittsburgh Steelers used the 30th selection in this past April's NFL Draft to select Heath Miller, it elicited a lot of chuckles.

It wasn't that the draftniks thought Miller, the big tight end from the Univeristy of Virginia, was a bad player. He was considered a consensus first-round talent after a career a fine career in Charlottesville.

Miller was a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection for the Cavaliers and finished his career as the school's second all-time leading receiver with 144 receptions for 1,703 yards and 20 touchdowns.

However, it just seemed the Steelers would have been better served drafting a quarterback who ran the wishbone in college than a tight end. In recent seasons, the Steelers threw to the tight end about as often as an NFL offense ran an option play.

Steelers tight ends caught a grand total of 17 passes in 16 regular-season games last season, then two passes in two playoff games. You don't need a mathematics degree from a prestigious university like Virginia to figure out the tight ends were lucky to get more than one pass thrown their way in a game.

Of course, the Steelers' reluctance to throw to the tight ends isn't a recent phenomenon. Until Monday night, it had been eight years since a tight end had caught as many as six touchdown passes in a season.

The most perplexing part of the Steelers' reluctance to throw to their tight ends is that their current offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt, was a tight end in his playing days. So was Whisenhunt's predecessor, Mike Mularkey, who moved on to Buffalo to become the Bills' head coach last season.

However, a funny thing has happened this year. The Steelers aren't just throwing to their tight end this season, but they have made Miller a primary receiver.

Miller was on the receiving end of both of Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown passes Monday night as the Steelers escaped with a 20-19 win over the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field.

Miller a caught a 4-yard pass to cap a 15-play, 77-yard scoring drive that took the first eight minutes and 57 seconds of the game. He then hauled in an 8-yard scoring pass with 5:55 left in the third quarter that snapped a 10-10 tie as the Steelers went on to improve to 5-2 and remain a half-game behind the upstart Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC North race.

Fittingly on Halloween, the Steelers also put another nail in the coffin of the Baltimore Ravens, who were the trendy pick to unseat Pittsburgh as the division champion in the preseason.

The Ravens fought valiantly despite missing the last two NFL Defensive Players of the Year; inside linebacker Ray Lewis had a strained a hamstring, and strong safety Ed Reed had a sprained ankle. While the Ravens' patchwork defense limited Miller to three catches for just 18 yards, they couldn't stop him when it absolutely counted.

The Steelers' change in philosophy concerning their tight ends and Miller's emergence is a big reason why Pittsburgh has to be considered the favorite to repeat as AFC North champs along with a favorable schedule that includes a number of cupake opponents down the stretch.

Defenses have to change their game plans because of Miller.

Where opponents could once cheat by bringing the strong safety up to the line of scrimmage and put eight men in the box to stop the Steelers' running game, they must now respect Miller's pass-catching ability. With the strong safety forced to now play off the line, it opens more running room for Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis. Heck, even Duce Staley could gain some yards if he ever got the chance to dress for a game anymore.

And Miller is forcing defenses to respect him more with each passing week.

He has caught touchdown passes in four consecutive games. That ties the team record for tight ends set by Eric Green in 1991.

Miller's six touchdown receptions this season are the most by a Steelers tight end since Mark Bruener had six in 1997.

The scary part is that Miller should only get better. He came out for the draft a year early and just celebrated his 22nd birthday 10 days ago.

He is still learning the Steelers' offense. He is still getting used to playing against NFL competition.

It is scary to think how good Miller can be once he truly gets his feet on the ground. We're talking a perennial Pro Bowl-type player.

Who would have thought that on draft day?

bengalsfan21
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
I have to disagree with him as the unofficial rookie of the year.....He has had what 4 TD's in 7 games? not bad at all but how can you leave 2nd rounder Linebacker Odell Thurman out of the mix......Who has 4 interceptions and one TD.........35 tackels, 13 assists, 1 sack, and one fumble recovery 1 fumble recovery.

He should get rookie of the year if he keeps it up...............No I am not being a homer either, I said if he keeps it up, if not it should go to Caddy if he can get back on track after his injury, I am not trying to hate on Miller it is just TE's don't get the recognition they deserve. I am not saying he should get rookie of the year or be selected to the pro bowl, hell I am shocked Thurman was on the pro bowl ballot....But he is a good TE and will get his pro bowls no doubt about it. :cheers:

tony hipchest
11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
h. millers 6 tds> o. thurmans 1

enough said

bengalsfan21
11-01-2005, 06:47 PM
h. millers 6 tds> o. thurmans 1

enough said

Thurman 4 INT's Miller none.
Offensive TD's are a lot easier to come by then Defensive TD's

nuff said

tony hipchest
11-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Thurman 4 INT's Miller none.
Offensive TD's are a lot easier to come by then Defensive TD's

nuff said
at a 6:1 ratio though? heath is on pace to tie or break the record for td's for a te. he has helped offset the loss of 2 o-lineman, and replaced p. burress, and j riemersma.

o thurman has 4 int? 15 came against 3 nfc north opponents so less than 1/3 of their int. total in just 3 games??? he is definitely valuable to the bengals. he has his work cut out for him against d. ware and castilla? in san diego.

although w. parker is not a rookie im more impressed with him than c. williams. he has a long way to go to catch up to heath in td total. gonzales, heap, and whitten, got a ways to go too, and gates is tied with heath for te td leader.

bengalsfan21
11-01-2005, 08:21 PM
at a 6:1 ratio though? heath is on pace to tie or break the record for td's for a te. he has helped offset the loss of 2 o-lineman, and replaced p. burress, and j riemersma.

o thurman has 4 int? 15 came against 3 nfc north opponents so less than 1/3 of their int. total in just 3 games??? he is definitely valuable to the bengals. he has his work cut out for him against d. ware and castilla? in san diego.

although w. parker is not a rookie im more impressed with him than c. williams. he has a long way to go to catch up to heath in td total. gonzales, heap, and whitten, got a ways to go too, and gates is tied with heath for te td leader.

I agree but like I said TE's don't get the recognition they deserve, if Miller ties or breaks a record his rookie season he deserves an award but Caddy was on pace to break records before his injury so you can't discredit him for what he has done............Thurman is showing a lot for being picked in the 2nd round, granted the better defensive players come in the second or later rounds.
I just think it will be hard to determine who gets the rookie of the year right now and when the time comes.
I also am impressed with Parker nobody new him last season and now he is a house hold name and a fantasy steal.

Koopa
11-02-2005, 12:15 AM
i don't matter they don't have one rookie of the year they split that up so both could actually win rookie of the year, but i seriously doubt that heath will win rookie of the year i think it'll go to ronnie brown or carnell williams

Steel - X
11-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Maybe since I didnt update the Sig last week Heath didnt have one of those games again. Come on we need this threat he wasnt well covered in the clowns game and we didnt hit him once.

BB2W
11-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Post Game Press Conference:

Q: Can you talk about Heath Miller?s season?

A: He?s been a very productive and consistent player. He?s been a guy that, week in and week out, shows up. He played very solid tonight. If you get the ball anywhere near him, he?ll catch it. He?s a big part of our offense, it just didn?t materialize tonight. The receivers caught some passes. Sometimes people ask why we didn?t throw it to the receivers; if we throw it to the receivers, people ask why we didn?t throw it to Heath. If we throw it to both, people will ask why we didn?t run the ball more. That?s the way it materialized tonight.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Maybe since I didnt update the Sig last week Heath didnt have one of those games again. Come on we need this threat he wasnt well covered in the clowns game and we didnt hit him once.

The Steelers have been getting Heath involved in a big way all year so far, but yesterday it was a chance to see what other Go to players can do. We need to have as many as possible for each week so yesterday the go to guy was Hines. Next week it could be El, maybe heath again, maybe its willy out in the flat, maybe it'll be cedric. Its just a way for the Steelers to get everyone involved.

Heath is a huge part of our offense and will continue to be :grin:

SteelCityMan786
11-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I am surprised that heath didn't get much last night. I thought he'd get a lot more catches than that.

Steel - X
11-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Thats what I thought especially with Batch starting under center. Oh well a win is a win.

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
I think Heath could be instrumental in helping Tommy break out of the slump if Tommy starts in Baltimore. Tommy's always been able to get rid of the ball quickly, and throwing some quick routs to Heath, and then letting Heath carry a few guys down the field will gain yards and confidence for Tommy. The only problem is this will require some throwing down the middle, and that's been a serious problem for Tommy lately.

Steel - X
11-30-2005, 02:49 PM
="http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_326224504.html"

Also a video you can watch on above link.

PITTSBURGH Heath Miller is the strong silent type. He is more likely to do his talking on the field than with actual words. And that is just fine with the Steelers rookie first-rounder.

KDKA?s Jennifer Antkowiak says while others may want to see Miller spice thing up a little in the end zone---he's happy with business as usual.

It's not that Miller can't smile or have a good time. He just doesn?t have a flashy personality.

Miller?s high school football coach, Doug Hubbard, told KDKA?s John Steigerwald that Miller hasn?t changed his demeanor.

?If he wins it, he won't say anything,? Hubbard said. ?And if he loses it, he won't say anything.?

Miller is all business ? even after scoring a touchdown. But Miller doesn?t hide his soft spot for his family back in Sword's Creek, Virginia.

?They've actually made it to all the home games,? Miller said. ?I think it's about a five hour trip, but they've made it up.?

Miller is grateful for the understanding he gets from his girlfriend.

?She's just very supportive of whatever I do,? Miller said. ?It's always good to have someone in your corner.?

His speaks equally well of his new family ? his Steelers teammates.

?I think it's a real tight-knit group and that's another thing that really makes the transition easy, when you're accepted by all the guys,? Miller said. ?All the veterans welcome you with open arms, and offer you advice, things to help you out along the way.?

tony hipchest
11-30-2005, 03:40 PM
on the field or on the bench, win or lose, you have to appreciate the way the steelers veterans have accepted and made our last 3 1st round draft picks feel like true team mates and not 2nd class citizens. it has helped players like polamalu and ben to quickly step into a leadership type role. it goes to show the quality of players the steelers keep around and keep drafting.