PDA

View Full Version : Peter King - Steelers 2008 Schedule "Toughest In Recent History"

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Peter King notes what has been observed here before - the 2008 Steelers schedule is murderous.

Has anyone out there looked at the Steelers' schedule for this fall? Schedules are organic things in terms of degree of difficulty; they tend to change week-by-week during the season. But looking at Pittsburgh's slate right now, we might be seeing the toughest schedule a team has had in recent history.

Lots of teams have division schedules as tough or tougher than six games with Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore, though the rising Browns, Carson Palmer and the presumably rejuvenated Ravens will be a difficult six-pack.

Amazing. Horrendously amazing, if you bleed black and gold.
Schedule factoids:

? Eight of Pittsburgh's 10 non-AFC North games are against 2007 playoff teams.

? All 10 non-division foes were .500 or better in 2007.

? New England plays four games against teams that finished over .500 in the 2007 regular season. Pittsburgh plays 10.

? Excluding the Steelers in 2005, the last four Super Bowl champs (Giants, Colts, Pats, Pats) are on Pittsburgh's schedule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/02/17/long/2.html

Just one more comforting thought for what may be a year of stepping back to reload for the future.

k7brown
02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Next year should be interesting... we do have an extremely difficult season. I am hoping for the best.

moedap
02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Holy Sh*t Batman!

I hope Timmons and Woodley are ready to roll.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Peter King notes what has been observed here before - the 2008 Steelers schedule is murderous.

Has anyone out there looked at the Steelers' schedule for this fall? Schedules are organic things in terms of degree of difficulty; they tend to change week-by-week during the season. But looking at Pittsburgh's slate right now, we might be seeing the toughest schedule a team has had in recent history.

Lots of teams have division schedules as tough or tougher than six games with Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore, though the rising Browns, Carson Palmer and the presumably rejuvenated Ravens will be a difficult six-pack.

Amazing. Horrendously amazing, if you bleed black and gold.
Schedule factoids:

? Eight of Pittsburgh's 10 non-AFC North games are against 2007 playoff teams.

? All 10 non-division foes were .500 or better in 2007.

? New England plays four games against teams that finished over .500 in the 2007 regular season. Pittsburgh plays 10.

? Excluding the Steelers in 2005, the last four Super Bowl champs (Giants, Colts, Pats, Pats) are on Pittsburgh's schedule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/02/17/long/2.html

Just one more comforting thought for what may be a year of stepping back to reload for the future.

10 games against opponants that are over .500!!!!!!

I hereby annoint us the Best Team of All Time!!!!

I mean...the Patriot* fans have shown that the end result is irrelevant....so why not??
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

TackleMeBen
02-18-2008, 08:41 AM
10 games against opponants that are over .500!!!!!!

I hereby annoint us the Best Team of All Time!!!!

I mean...the Patriot* fans have shown that the end result is irrelevant....so why not??
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

LLT you are too much..lol...:sofunny:.

you would think that the superbowl champions would have a difficult schedule b/c they are suppost to be the best in the league...lol.. oh wait this years champions came from the nfc... they dont have any toughness..lol

stillers4me
02-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Next year is going to suck............

Mosca
02-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm not worried. These things have a way of working themselves out. If there is one thing that you can say about NFL pre-season speculation, it is that almost ALL of it is wrong. As a matter of fact, the only prediction that I think I could accurately make over the last 20 years, and win a decent percentage of the time, would be that the Steelers would make the playoffs.

So that will be my only prediction: the Steelers make the playoffs. I figure that it's 2-1 odds in favor.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2008, 10:10 AM
So that will be my only prediction: the Steelers make the playoffs. I figure that it's 2-1 odds in favor.

Thats what I said...Best Team of All Time!!!! Mark it down!!!....Hmmmm....all we have to do now is figure out how to get one of those nifty astericks.:tap:

Dino 6 Rings
02-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I say Hells Yeah! Bring it on. I want to play the toughest schedule so we are primed for the Playoffs and ready to knock heads with the best!!!

Bring it!

steel striker
02-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Well I guess we are going to see how good we really are. As long as we play to win put the ball in Ben's hands with the close i like our chances. Time to man up!

alittlejazzbird
02-18-2008, 11:19 AM
We all know that past performance is no guarantee of future results...but holy winning records, Batman, this schedule is horrific. I said as much back in January when the 08 opponents were released:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=356710&highlight=schedule#post356710

If we can't successfully address our offensive line problems in this offseason, then I see two things happening - 1) Ben will be beaten up worse than this past season, and 2) we'll be lucky to finish the season at .500.

Of course, eveyone thought the Ravens and Bengals were going to be the class of the AFC North based on results of the 2006 season, and that didn't work out so well for them. There are certainly teams that will take a step (or several) backward in the 2008 season. My concern is that we may very well be one of them. Promises to be a very interesting offseason and draft this year.

Glace
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm not worried at all.

Last year in a few games, we saw flashes of an offense that will put a lot of points on anybody, and our defense will reload and recuperate and be ready to dominate the NFL again.

TackleMeBen
02-18-2008, 12:40 PM
And what is it about Jacksonville? They're not in our division, but it seems like we always play them 3 or 4 times every year.

maybe they figure if they play the steelers then they can turn them into a big market team??lol

19ward86
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
this is what the nfl is all about baby!!! man, threads like these get me so excited for the season....only what, 8 months to go?

alittlejazzbird
02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
And what is it about Jacksonville? They're not in our division, but it seems like we always play them 3 or 4 times every year.

I wonder if it's a leftover from back when the Steelers and Jags were in the same division? I don't know...but I'd sure like to know why, if we supposedly rotate through different divisions every season, we have to play back to back seasons at New England.

sherlock
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I say Hells Yeah! Bring it on. I want to play the toughest schedule so we are primed for the Playoffs and ready to knock heads with the best!!!

Bring it!

You`re always positive Dino!:thumbsup:
Can`t wait either....bring it on baby!

SteelerFanInCA
02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow, that schedule is tough and brutal. Every week will seem like a play off game. I think when the season rolls around some of those games will not be as tough as they look on paper.

The_WARDen
02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't know, but I guess the league can do whatever it wants with the two "at-large" games on a team's schedule. Maybe they consider Jacksonville a "rivalry" game for us, and they have us play the Pats* every year to go for the marquee matchup. I seem to remember them doing that with the 49ers and Cowboys back when they were good.

But anyway, it gets bloody annoying playing the Jags every single year. Why don't they try to have us start a rivalry with some shitty team like the Dolphins?

Oh, wait ... I forgot. We're in the same division as the Browns and Bungles, so we've already got plenty of rivalries against shitty teams.

you forgot the Felons in that sh*tty team rivalry...remember that's a farce team that hasn't won a playoff game since their SB...talk about selling your soul.

:tt02:

OneForTheToe
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Well I 'm pretty sure that the non- divisional AFC games will remain tough. While I'd expect the Pats to be weaker, I would still think they will remain, along with the Colts Jags playoff teams. So, how hard this schedule ultimately turns out to be comes down the division and our NFC East opponents.

It is hard to predict out division. My gut at the moment tells me that the Browns will fall back a bit this year (even though I think they will be our toughest opponents for the near future) and that the Ratbirds will have a rebound this season. Baltimore's D continues to get older, but they were still pretty effective and I expect them to make a run at a FA QB. The Bungles will probably remain bungles, so I would say the AFCN will be in the middle as far as divisions in the AFC go, with a possibility of one Wildcard team.

This lead us to what really makes this schedule so difficult - having to play 3, 2007, NFC playoff teams. If those teams remain playoff teams it will indeed turn out that our Steelers play one of the toughest schedules in recent history. If the division receeds a bit, then things will be considerably easier. I believe Dallas has the talent to remain tough even if Romo starts taking takes Bea Arthur and the rest of the “Golden Girls” to the Caribbean. The Giants won the SB, so I don't want to disrespect them, but I have a feeling they may end up falling a little next season. Similarly, I would never underestimate Daniel Snyder's ability to turn a promising future for the Skins into a "cluster flop." Of course, I could see Philly rebounding this year so who knows.

My expectation is that the schedule will be tough but, for the reasons stated above regarding the NFC, not as though as it seems at the moment.

steelpride12
02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey....tough schedule that just gives us a chance to prove how good the Steelers are and my prediction is if we make the playoffs, we will go far, but first off lets win some games take it one at a time and whoop ass!

Preacher
02-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I love the schedule.

We are going to take our rookies and second year players... and FA's, tell them whaht Steeler football is, then throw them in against the best of the league and TELL THEM we EXPECT them to win.

Next year may be the soil which we grow a number of SB champions from.

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I love the schedule.

We are going to take our rookies and second year players... and FA's, tell them whaht Steeler football is, then throw them in against the best of the league and TELL THEM we EXPECT them to win.

Next year may be the soil which we grow a number of SB champions from.

Agreed - the toughest steel must go through the hottest fire

If the Steelers do make the playoffs (which will require at least a 4-2 record in the division) they probably already will have faced anyone they play in January:sofunny:

Realistically, I look at next year as a process of retooling for future years - if I was a season ticket holder I would be psyched about a great home schedule

Preacher
02-18-2008, 05:03 PM

If the Steelers do make the playoffs (which will require at least a 4-2 record in the division) they probably already will have faced anyone they play in January:sofunny:

Realistically, I look at next year as a process of retooling for future years - if I was a season ticket holder I would be psyched about a great home schedule

Absolutely.

I would put our top limit at 1 playoff game.

rick723
02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Just one more comforting thought for what may be a year of stepping back to reload for the future.[/QUOTE]

Or, one gigantic azz whoopin coming up! We could just open a can of WA and win it all. I'll never give up while I still have the means to fight.

lilyoder6
02-18-2008, 05:40 PM
with this hard ass ach. i just hope that the league will give pitt a good bye week like in week 8,9, or 10 so that we can rest during the middle of the season..

LambertLunatic
02-18-2008, 06:21 PM
But looking at Pittsburgh's slate right now, we might be seeing the toughest schedule a team has had in recent history.

Toughest schedule a team has had in recent years? We only have the FOURTH toughest schedule in the NFL next year. Our division rivals face an almost identical schedule....6 divisional games, and 8 of the same non AFC North games we face. But they also have to face the Steelers twice each, which makes their schedule tougher than ours.

Realistically, with this schedule we will probably not get a bye week during the playoffs. We may very well have the worst record of any team making the playoffs next year. Since our division rivals have similar schedules, we should win the division and head into the playoffs already battle tested.

SteelCityMan786
02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Next year is going to be a fun year. Right now I expect 4-2 to 5-1 in the division. Outside in the conference we go 4-1 or 3-2. Out we go 4-0.(We have the toughest of the bunch at home). Right now I can say 13-3. But the draft will tell. If we do draft well and get the right tools in FA. We're looking at a good year and possibly a Super Bowl Championship. This year they have no one they can truely play down to.

Elvis
02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
I can see us going .500 next season, but with this schedule and our division having to play the same teams pretty much as us we have to, I dont think our division is gonna do any better than us. I see us winning our division but no much else unless our O Line improves very much so. But I think a .500 record is about the best to expect next season.
:helmet:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Last year our problem wasn't so much beating the teams that were tough, but beating the teams that we were heads and shoulders above.

We lost to the Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, New York Jets, and the Jaguars twice (once in the playoffs). We barley beat the Dolphins, but a lot of that had to do with horrid field conditions.

We should have won 13 games at the least. There are no excuses for the Arizona, Denver, and New York losses. We just played like shit, we played down to their level instead of making them play up to ours. If we can just not play down to the bad teams, then we have an excellent shot at the second or third seed in the AFC.

Our offensive line needs help. Draft a LT in the first round, sign a C in FA who can actually produce, and slide Mahan over to LG where I think he'd play better. If we can keep Ben upright, that bodes well for the team.

On defens, let Timmons battle it out for the ILB spot with Foote. May the best 'backer win. Ike Taylor is our #1 corner, but let McFadden and Townsend battle it out for #2, may the best corner win. And as for FS, I really hope Clark can come back and be the same player he was, if he can't I sure hope Anthony Smith matures and learns to play within the system and stick to his assignment.

Home:

Baltimore Ravens- New coaching staff, aging defense, still not sure about the QB situation. I think they have a diamond in the rough with Troy Smith, but who knows what the new coach wants to do? This is a season of transition for them, and I don't see them as a threat.

Cincinnati Bengals- They cannot fix their defensive woes in one season. They need help at LB, DL, and S. On offense they have tons of skill, but they are dysfunctional. Chad Johnson is all about himself, TJ is overshadowed by the Johnson garbage, Henry has tons of talent but has trouble keeping his nose clean, and Palmer doesn't seem to be able to take control and lead the offense. Toss in a declining Rudy Johnson and an offensive line that can't stay healthy...and you got yourself an offense that will score 51 in one week...and 13 the next. No threat, IMHO.

Cleveland Browns- Last year their offense packed a lot of firepower, and Jamal Lewis packed a punch. Their defense is bend-and-don't-break...but they did break at times. Derek Anderson is gonna come back down to earth I think. It'll open the door for Brady Quinn to step in. They'll transition, but still end up with a winning record. Give us our closest games in the division. But we sweep them again, but they are gonna beat us one day...just not in 2008.

Houston Texans- This team is on the rise. If they get a good running back in the draft, they are a sleeper to make the playoffs as a wild card. However, they don't have the talent we have, IMHO. But if our special teams pulls a Jets game, we can easily lose this one.

Indianapolis Colts- Well, Peyton Manning does not walk on water. They have become a tougher team since the 2005 Playoff meeting, but I think we are tougher. This game is very winnable, but our offense has to play mistake-free to do so.

San Diego Chargers- Probally our toughest home game. With a healtyh Phillip Rivers and LT, we will have to be ready for anything. LT is a beast, if we can shut him down and force Phillips to win the game, that gives us our best chance. Their defense is pretty damn good, and Cromartie takes away half of the field. If Ben challenges Cromartie and Cromartie wins, we lose.

Dallas Cowboys- Overrated, IMHO. Owens is good, but knock him around and he'll start alligator arming it. Romo is good, but he's not the second coming like Cowboy fans think he is. We can easily demolish this team with their weak secondary. Only Newman scares me back there.

New York Giants- Defending Super Bowl Champs. They play a lot of the same brand of football that we do. This'll be one of the best (if not the best) game of the season. It can go either way, but I think we pull it out because I feel we have the better offense.

Away:

Cleveland/Cincinnati/Baltimore- See above

Jacksonville Jaguars- I am sick of this damn team! What the hell, are they half way in our division? Don't make stupid mistakes on offense (Ben) and the defense cannot afford to be out of position. Oh, and the ST cannot let Jones-Drew return a kickoff 99 yards!

Tennessee Titans- Vince Young doesn't scare me any. He's got his legs, but now he's playing against some of the best defensive players in the world...he's not padding his stats on guys from Baylor. He is not accurate at all, I truly don't know if a top-notch wideout would help him any. They have a good two-headed monster running attack and a stingy defense. They are very beatable.

New England Patriots- Just follow the blueprint the Giants made in the Super Bowl. Pressure Brady (this means blitz, don't send just the o-line), and take what the defense gives you. Take advantage of the aging linebackers and Rodney Harrison, he isn't what he once was.

Philadelphia Eagles- I think this team will rebound if they don't deal off McNabb. If they deal him, then it's transition time. They'll probally take a wideout in the first round, probally Michigan's Manningham. Their defense is aging, but is up to the task.

Washington Redskins- I really don't know how to read this team. New coaching staff, almost 100% turned over. Possible QB contreversy. Plus this'll be the first TC without Taylor, and that might adversly affect the team. Not to mention the owner is an airhead.

Galax Steeler
02-19-2008, 04:35 AM
I'm not worried about the schedule take it one game at a time and see where we land at.

m4mica
02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
I wonder if it's a leftover from back when the Steelers and Jags were in the same division? I don't know...but I'd sure like to know why, if we supposedly rotate through different divisions every season, we have to play back to back seasons at New England.

Relative to both the Jags and the Pats, there is no manipulation by the league to force or create matchups. The rotation's are set in advance including home and away. It works out as follows:

6 games against teams in our division
4 games against an entire division from the NFC (this year it's the NFC East)
4 games against an entire division in the AFC (this year it's the AFC South)
2 games against teams that finished in the same position as us in the other AFC divisions. I.e. we won the division so we automatically play all of the other division winners.

Last year we played the Pats because their division was in our AFC rotation. This year we play the Pats because we both won our division. Similarly that's why we get the Chargers.

The thing to keep in mind, and someone else brought this up, is that the Browns, Ravens and Bengals play nearly the same schedule. Everyone in the division in 2008 is going to get the NFC East (Giants-Cowboys-Eagles-Skins) and AFC South (Colts-Texans-Jags-Titans) and of course, AFC North.

The difference in schedule is:
Steelers get the other division winners: Pats and Chargers
Browns get the other 2nd place finishers: Bills and Broncos
Benglas get the other 3rd place finishers: Jets and Chiefs
Ravens get the other last place finishers: Dolphins and Raiders
Then again, the Browns, Bengals and Ravens also have to play us twice.

All that being said, I'd rather limp in to the postseason at 10-6 and battle hardended then skate through. Seems that lately the teams with the best records don't win, but the ones who have a tougher regular season do. I.e. we won year AFTER going 15-1 and skating in as last seed. Colts won the year AFTER going 14-2 (?) and having a tough regular season. Giants won via #5 seed, etc.

DACEB
02-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Bring it!

That's right Dino, that's my motto!! Bring it on!!

If the team has a good offseason, then I can see us going 10-6 again.

One thing noone has mentioned, and it's a good thing, is that we do'nt leave the eastern time zone ever. That has to be helpful.

TackleMeBen
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
One thing noone has mentioned, and it's a good thing, is that we do'nt leave the eastern time zone ever. That has to be helpful.

that is an excellent point. we dont have to worry about the time zone and getting use to pacific time.. maybe this schedule isnt as bad as it looks on paper. lol

memphissteelergirl
02-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Well I just found my new sig (don't worry AD, I'll give ya credit :wink02:)

sherlock
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I`ve been an NFL/Steeler fan of some 4 months now(an embyro if you like) and the team I want the Steelers to beat more than any is Jacksonville.
Beating the Steelers twice,and at Heinz....bloody cheek!!!!

stillers4me
02-19-2008, 06:45 PM
I`ve been an NFL/Steeler fan of some 4 months now(an embyro if you like) and the team I want the Steelers to beat more than any is Jacksonville.
Beating the Steelers twice,and at Heinz....bloody cheek!!!!

I'm with you on that one!

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Well I just found my new sig (don't worry AD, I'll give ya credit :wink02:)

Don't credit me - giving credit where credit is due, this is the source of the quote:sofunny:

"The finest steel has to go through the hottest fire."

Source: Richard Nixon

http://www.people.ubr.com/political/by-first-name/r/richard-nixon/richard-nixon-quotes/the-finest-steel-has.aspx

Steeler in Carolina
02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I understand the non-division games will be tough, but we have 2 games against the Bengals and 2 against the Ratbirds.

TackleMeBen
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I understand the non-division games will be tough, but we have 2 games against the Bengals and 2 against the Ratbirds.

you left out the browns.. i would see them as more of a threat this season than the ravens with a rookie headcoach and the bengals who we all know will self destruct before the season starts.

revefsreleets
02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
12-4. No problem. There are no shitty teams on this schedule for the team to whole weeks off against. They have to get up and play well every week.

lilyoder6
02-19-2008, 08:09 PM
balt d is still good even tho they are aging, they still got big playmakers and with them tagging suggs 2day... and evryone knows that cincy can hang up points on ppl but they need to control there attitudes.

OneForTheToe
02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Games in the AFC Norris division will never be easy regardless of the records. One thing that was mentioned earlier that I agree with is that the rest of our division will end up playing a pretty tough schedule as well.

I think the jump from playing a last place scedule to a second place one will be more daunting for the Browns than the difficult schedule that we face. Cleveland plays the following, in addition to the AFC North: Texans, Colts, Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, Jaguars, Titans, Eagles, Redskins and Bills.

So the only breaks the Brownies get is not having to play the Chargers and Cheatriots. But they still have to play the Bills who could be a playoff team as well. Honestly, I could easily see the Browns falling back to 8-8 with this schedule.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/gameday/schedule.php

lilyoder6
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
the whole division will have trouble... how we have to do is make sure we win all 6 division games or close to it..

Rhee Rhee
02-19-2008, 09:42 PM
12-4. No problem. There are no shitty teams on this schedule for the team to whole weeks off against. They have to get up and play well every week.

it's incredibly easy to say stuff like that but to actually do it is another thing...

if we got up and played every game this year we'd have been 15-1...

what was our record? 10-6... shit happens... can't help it... 12-4 is reallly generous considering our schedule..

paw-n-maul-u
02-19-2008, 10:17 PM
No sugar coating it at all. Our schedule is brutal.

the AFC and NFC champions

4 Division winners

8 playoff teams total from last year

I'd take 10-6 and a division title again, If we win our division games we should do just that.

NV STEELERS 723
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
We'll be fine...seems like we play better when our backs against the wall !

SteelCityMan786
02-19-2008, 10:55 PM
We'll be fine...seems like we play better when our backs against the wall !

It was evident in 2007 to. Of course we can't do that all the time. We're going to need to have nights where all sides are clickin all night.

TackleMeBen
02-19-2008, 10:59 PM
It was evident in 2007 to. Of course we can't do that all the time. We're going to need to have nights where all sides are clickin all night.
:iagree:

Steelerfreak58
02-19-2008, 11:51 PM
08 will show what kind of team the Steelers really are. If we can get some OL protection for Ben things should be good to go.

Dizzle43
02-20-2008, 12:07 AM
The schedule is definately going to be tough and I agree with all of you when I say we had better fix our O-Line. The good news is that everyone else in the division has to play those teams except for New England and San Diego. We can win the division if we do the same thing we did last year, which is beat our division opponents. Those games will always be tough and they are the most important of the season. The main thing is always going to be to stay healthy. We will definately be battle tested after playing that schedule.

LambertLunatic
02-20-2008, 07:21 AM
No sugar coating it at all. Our schedule is brutal.

the AFC and NFC champions

4 Division winners

8 playoff teams total from last year

And each of our division opponents have to play the NFC champion, 5 games against division winners (they all have to play the AFC North champs), and AT LEAST 8 games against playoff teams from last year.

With the tough schedules that all 4 AFC North have, 9-7 will win the division. I wouldn't be surprised if 8-8 would be enough to win it. We win the division IMO.

stlrtruck
02-20-2008, 09:05 AM
All I can say about this schedule is that in order for gold to shine it has to be purified. Nothing like being tested and purified by having a tough schedule!!!

So when it's all said and done STEELERS NATION can stand tall and say my team blasted the toughest schedule on route to a NFL Record 6th Super Bowl!!!

tony hipchest
02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
So when it's all said and done STEELERS NATION can stand tall and say my team blasted the toughest schedule on route to a NFL Record 6th Super Bowl!!!anything less, and steeler nation can stand tall and say "fire tomlin". :dang:

Edman
02-20-2008, 11:26 AM
One thing is certain. The Steelers are likely to have no WTF games in 2008.

The problem with the Steelers in recent years is not beating the tough teams, they've done plenty of that. They have almost always struggled against the inferior competition, especially on the road. Look no further than last year and 2006 for examples.

It's easy to say we'll suck, but then again, the offseason has just begun. Let's wait and see what the Steelers and their opponents will do this offseason.

I say bring them on. The Puketriots(You know the deal), the Chargeless(I hate Rivers and Merriroid), the Colts(Manning hype), The Cowpukes, the Faguars(Sick of losing to these clowns by lucky flukes), even the defending Super Bowl champ Giants(More Manning hype)! Every single last one of them.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Hopefully, we won't have to cover any kicks next year and will just kick everything out of bounds :)

Its all good, I don't care who is on the schedule, set em up, knocke em down, get 11 wins (to improve) and get into the Playoffs. That's all we need to worry about.

Dammmit August is too far away!!!

sherlock
02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Edman or anyone,sorry,but what are WTF games?

The Duke
02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Edman or anyone,sorry,but what are WTF games?

I believe those are the games the steelers lost and played down to their competition(cardinals, broncos, jets games) leaving us fans saying wft :wtf:

in 2008 with a schedule so hard the steelers can't play down to their competition, they won't just say "it's the bolts, that's a easy game"

at least we hope so

stlrtruck
02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
anything less, and steeler nation can stand tall and say "fire tomlin". :dang:

You forgot "Trade Roethlisberger!"
but do you have to start so early in to the off-season? :cheers:

TackleMeBen
02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
and we need a bigger running back. one that can handle the load...lol

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, we sure don't need a running back that spends season after season getting a 1000 yards...we should move the team to LA while we are at it! :tt02:

The Duke
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
we should move the team to LA while we are at it! :tt02:

lol, that's a new one

lilyoder6
02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
it's liek wtf mates, y in the hell did we lose...

LVSteelersfan
02-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Thats what I said...Best Team of All Time!!!! Mark it down!!!....Hmmmm....all we have to do now is figure out how to get one of those nifty astericks.:tap:

We don't want any of those nasty ******* ASTERISKS ******. Leave that to the A-hole Patsies. For some reason that word spelled incorrectly really bugs me. I don't think I have seen it spelled right on any message board yet.

drew102e
02-21-2008, 09:30 AM
so just to get to 10-6 is going to be a struggle

maybe we get the 6th seed, thats worked out before :)

SteelersMongol
02-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Agreed. With bunch of new players & rookies at hand it should b really tough.

Stu Pidasso
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
The good news is the Steelers have a habit of playing to the level of their opponent. If this holds true, we'll do quite well.

Dino 6 Rings
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Next year is going to be Awesome. With Ben even more comfortable in our new style offense, Willie back healthy, Russell and Davis both with a year's experience backing up Parker (Najeh I don't think makes the roster next season) and our Defense revamped and ready to crush skulls, I'm confident its going to be a great season to wave the towel ....:tt02:

(disclaimer, I believe every year is going to be a great year to wave the towel.)

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

revefsreleets
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
it's incredibly easy to say stuff like that but to actually do it is another thing...

if we got up and played every game this year we'd have been 15-1...

what was our record? 10-6... shit happens... can't help it... 12-4 is reallly generous considering our schedule..

Of course it's easy to say 12-4. It's also just as easy to say 0-16. Neither have any meaning at all at this point. This is all, at best, putting the cart before the horse, at worst, wild speculation.

SteelCityMan786
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
The good news is the Steelers have a habit of playing to the level of their opponent. If this holds true, we'll do quite well.

Yeah if we do that(Based on the 2007 Records) We should be a VERY Good team next year.

polamalu82
02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
That is a tough schedule! I have the camera if you guys supply the film.:tt02:

Wait. Didn't someone already try that?:sofunny:

swanman12
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I think that the Steelers will be fine next year. They have to win the division to make the playoffs. The schedule seems to be very difficult. Looking at the rest of the division I think it looks good for the black and gold. Cleveland is extremely overrated, only beating one team with a winning record last year. And anything less than a miracle offseason, I do not see much of a change in Cincinnati or Baltimore.

Hapa
02-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I find Pittsburgh tends to lose against losing teams- look at last year when they were 9 and 3 and about to play the Pats.
The 3 teams they lost to were Denver (losing) Cards (losing) Jets (losing), if they hadn't lost those should have been easy games, it would have been a "Battle of the Undefeated" with the Pitt vs. Pat game

WWIIOwheelz
02-23-2008, 04:14 PM
The Pats having a lax schedule makes me a little crazy.

I AM a little crazy, though, so that's OK :D

fansince'76
02-23-2008, 04:16 PM
The Pats having a lax schedule makes me a little crazy.

I AM a little crazy, though, so that's OK :D

Gotta do something for them now that they won't be able to cheat with impunity anymore. Saw how well they did in the SB with a level playing field for a change, didn't we? :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
02-23-2008, 04:52 PM
That is a tough schedule! I have the camera if you guys supply the film.:tt02:

Wait. Didn't someone already try that?:sofunny:

Yeah, and we're not the dumbasses who did just that.

FastWillieParker39
02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Looking at next years schedule, I worried we may not even go to the playoffs...seriously. I seriously doubt we'll be able to fix our oline troubles and our D is getting a little old now.

Next year is going to be TOUGH!

Haiku_Dirtt
02-25-2008, 02:57 AM

What I hope is clearly understood is that Tomlin has really zero responsibility for this brutal transition. Brutal.

CMON. Max Starks is a guy we need to protect? If you want to find a case of sport imitating life then look no further than the Steeler offensive line and the US housing market. Both are thought to be pillars. Instead we have rubble.

NO ANSWERS. NO SOLUTIONS. NO END IN SIGHT.

To our scouts...SOS...SOS...SOS...SOS

TackleMeBen
02-25-2008, 07:26 AM
if they dont get the oline fixed then we may see batch starting a few games b/c the oline got our starting qb hurt.

hopefully when mini camps starts tomlin lays down the law and we keep only those players that are good enough to protect the qb.

i am wondering if faneca not wanting to be there had anything to do with our oline sucking so bad last year. he missed alot of blocks that led to ben running for his life.