PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Otah - OL draft prospect?

alittlejazzbird
02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Jeff Otah is currently listed as a theoretical Steelers draft pick at #23 on Don Banks's SI Mock Draft. Any thoughts about him as a potential first rounder? My understanding has always been that offensive lineman don't have to be taken in the first round, but we have so many needs, I wonder if it's worth using that first-round pick on a potential top of the line guy who can come in immediately and make a difference. At 6-5, 339, he's got the size and the youth that Tomlin is looking for.

I'd personally love to see us get Owen Schmitt (and not just because I'm a WVU alum), but the Steelers' move away from using a fullback regularly last season doesn't bode well for that, not to mention that he probably won't last until the 23rd pick. I love what that kid brings to the table athletically, and personality-wise, he's just wacky enough to be the James Harrison of the offense.

SteelerFanInCA
02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I've seen quite a few of the Mock drafts penciling in his name as one of our picks.

Based on what I have heard and seen from the guy, it almost sounds like he would hit the ground running with us.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd personally love to see us get Owen Schmitt (and not just because I'm a WVU alum), but the Steelers' move away from using a fullback regularly last season doesn't bode well for that, not to mention that he probably won't last until the 23rd pick. I love what that kid brings to the table athletically, and personality-wise, he's just wacky enough to be the James Harrison of the offense.

Schmitt will still be on the board in the third and fourth rounds. Maybe later.

Dylan
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Otah is the guy i want. he would be a fan favorie which would make him happy and play better. and schmitt will be available in the 3and 4th maybe even the 5th round

Elvis
02-19-2008, 12:14 AM
I just think that the Steelers are not just gonna draft O Line just because it is our biggest need. I think that Tomlin and the Rooney's will make a difficult decision come april. Do you draft and take someone like DT Antwan Balmer from UNC and get the ball rolling toward turning to that true 4-3 or do you go out and get an O Lineman to help out our poorous line? Or do you go tall physicall WR to help Ben get deep or do we go big play DB or FS if available? I personally think that the Steelers suprised everyone by taking a punter in the 4th round last year, of course I Loved The Pick from the Very Beginning, but I think that this years suprise position pick will come earlier this year in the draft when the Steelers might just trade up a few spots and grab a Kicker... Reed's replacement could be the total answer that this team needs to get over the hump..
:jawdrop:
:wink02::toofunny::banana:

Galax Steeler
02-19-2008, 04:42 AM
I believe we will pick otah unless we pick up a free agent or two for the offensive line.

Rhee Rhee
02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd personally love to see us get Owen Schmitt (and not just because I'm a WVU alum), but the Steelers' move away from using a fullback regularly last season doesn't bode well for that, not to mention that he probably won't last until the 23rd pick.

u mean 123rd pick right?

don't get me wrong i love him too but he'll last much longer than the 23rd...

otah is the best player for us but i hope that arians doesn't try and move him to the left...

Dylan
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
u mean 123rd pick right?

don't get me wrong i love him too but he'll last much longer than the 23rd...

otah is the best player for us but i hope that arians doesn't try and move him to the left...

yea i like schmitt to, but not with the 23rd pick.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 12:13 PM
LETS GO PITT!!!

Take Otah, he knows the city, knows the field, knows the stadium. He's a Stud and there is no question about his talent. Plus he's a PITT Guy!!! Yeah PITT LETS GO PITT!!! WOOHOO!!!

maybe we can get the Cards to trade Fitz for a 6th round pick in 2018 too!!! YEAH BABY!!!

steel65
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys I'm in N.J. and eagles have him high on their list

Dizzle43
02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Isn't Otah a tackle? Do we really need a tackle?

brsteelers
02-20-2008, 02:26 PM
The team needs a tackle in my opinion big time. Otah has a lot of talent and a great upside. But it's beginning to look as if someone may take him before he drops to us unless we move up.