PDA

View Full Version : Will there be an "80's Metal" resurgence?

Suitanim
10-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Could be...I was running a parallel interest in New Wave and punk in the 80's, and actually was full blown "alternative music dude" by like '90.

Anyway, there is a HUGE resurgence in 80's English sounding New Wave...The Killer's, Interpol, Bloc Party, Hot Hot Heat, Kasabian, etc, etc...

If there is interest in the New Wave thing, why not metal?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2005, 10:54 PM
80's metal will make a comeback.. everything comes back around in time. The 70's style clothing comes to mind.. all kinds of classic music is still popular.

Bring on the Glam metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many bands still tour, obviously to much smaller venues that they did in their prime, but its still alive and kicking !!

pitt
10-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Man I hope that doesn't happen. One decade of that stuff was enough.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2005, 12:12 AM
awe comon man... the melodic hard rock of the 80's was the bomb !! :grin:

Prosdo
10-29-2005, 02:33 AM
I really like some of the Killers music. Good stuff!

Koopa
10-29-2005, 03:21 AM
well with shit bands like fall out boys, my chemical romance etc. etc. taking over the airwaves, i wouldn't mind more 80s style of music even though i was born in the mid 80s and didn't really get to hear to now.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-29-2005, 09:26 PM
I liked a lot of the 80's metal bands.And that stuff it better than the fake-ass punk shit out there.Bands like Fall Out Boy,Simple Plan is just shit.They are pop,not punk.

pitt
10-30-2005, 12:11 AM
Well if you guys can listen to that stuff without getting a headache, more power to ya. I'll stick with my classic rock and country music.

ironcitychef
10-30-2005, 01:54 AM
I feel like that all green guy on EBAY...a come back of 80's metal? Sweet Me rcy it must come true.:music:

Motley Nate
11-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Could be...I was running a parallel interest in New Wave and punk in the 80's, and actually was full blown "alternative music dude" by like '90.

Anyway, there is a HUGE resurgence in 80's English sounding New Wave...The Killer's, Interpol, Bloc Party, Hot Hot Heat, Kasabian, etc, etc...

Dude... the Crue had the tour of the year. 3rd largest grossing tour of the year.

Motley Nate
11-01-2005, 09:40 AM
80's metal will make a comeback.. everything comes back around in time. The 70's style clothing comes to mind.. all kinds of classic music is still popular.

Bring on the Glam metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many bands still tour, obviously to much smaller venues that they did in their prime, but its still alive and kicking !!
Crue sold out the Gund... errr, the "Q"... the same day tickets came out. By far their best concert (since it covered their entire discography except for 94 Crue). Bands like Warrant still play local clubs, Slaughter is back (but usually sticks to Vegas).

Hammer67
11-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I don't mind if the music makes a comeback but the god awful fashion of the 80's better not. Big hair, guys with makeup and spandex. Christ...what were those people thinking???

Ladies...big hair has been out for 15 years!!!

hicksfan
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM

80's metal..... What is that? Are you referring to the NWOBM (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead) that spurred the likes of Metallica & King Diamond, or the group of hair bands like Crue that watered down to Warrant?

I think the popularity of what I consider heavy metal had a field day largely due to the popularity of occult that we've been desensitized to today. What is considered "edgy" today is largely out of the comfort realm of your average teenager as opposed to 20 years ago with "Number of the Beast".

I think Metal (even the old stuff) still has a viable market, but I don't know if it can tap into the mainstream market like it once did in order to be popular to the degree it was 20 years ago.

The hair band shit comes and goes.

Suitanim
11-02-2005, 09:34 PM
All or any of the above. Interesting chord changes, falsetto singing, aggressive attitudes, party theme's, guitar solo's, etc, etc...

hicksfan
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
All or any of the above. Interesting chord changes, falsetto singing, aggressive attitudes, party theme's, guitar solo's, etc, etc...

When I think Metal, I think of Iron Maiden and the likes. I refer to Motley Crue and such as hair bands/hard rock. I like both, but I don't see everything being synonymous from a musical aspect, and target crowd. Not many chicks are going to sit through 18 minutes of Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, but most know all the words to Home Sweet Home.

My biggest point being that I don't know that you can replicate what happened in Metal (by my definition - the prodigy of NWOBM) during the 80's no more than you can replicate what The Who, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and such did in the 70's.

But I can see a resurgence in hair bands-style music although I bet it will be a while before anyone does that to their hair again.

Suitanim
11-02-2005, 10:29 PM
You're right. But, to be fair, I don't think we'll ever see any one genre ever "rule" again. I'd just like to see bands take another shot at it like they are with 80's NW music. Look at that list I posted again. Maybe the Killer's sell a bunch of CD's, to a lesser degree Hot Hot Heat, but the days of bands like these going 10X platinum are over.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-02-2005, 11:33 PM

Thats what made it so great.. the lightning fast guitar solo's, awesome drum riffs, the screaming vibrato that can only come from an 80's metal/rock band, the party and escape reality atmosphere...

damn I miss those days..

SteelCurtain
11-03-2005, 07:52 PM
i would love if 80's hair band music came back...hardcore, party, and just downright fun music...i love it and wish i didn't miss it's hay day....

Tobe
11-05-2005, 12:16 PM
I hope so...80's metal was all about the guitar. George Lynch friggin' ruled.

Suitanim
11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I heard a Disturbed song that had a guitar solo in it...I thought solo's were verboten now. Could be a good sign of things to come...

By the by, is this Tobias "Tobe", he of the BMW 525XI?

Tobe
11-06-2005, 08:10 AM
I heard a Disturbed song that had a guitar solo in it...I thought solo's were verboten now. Could be a good sign of things to come...

By the by, is this Tobias "Tobe", he of the BMW 525XI?

Aye, tis me. Thought I'd pop in and check the place out.

UKSteeler
11-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I hope there is a resurgence... I remember listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Judas Priest while drunk and trying to play air-guitar (very badly..)