PDA

View Full Version : Possible Free Agents?

faneca05
02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
What do you see the Steelers doing in free agency now that some of the top OL have been either re-signed or franchised?

steel65
02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Nothing but picking up some soft players I think they will use the draft as always

Dylan
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
probably just some nice quality backups for depth

Galax Steeler
02-20-2008, 05:14 AM
I see us using the draft as filling the voids this year maybe one or two cheap free agent signings.

fansince'76
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
The Rooneys are cheap, since it hasn't been said yet. :coffee:

Preacher
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The Rooneys are cheap, since it hasn't been said yet. :coffee:

and they don't know what they are doing!

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I really like the idea of taking a look at Mohammed from the Bears. He'll cost as much as Wilson and is a great guy for the locker room and a strong talented wide receiver that would be a solid #3.

HometownGal
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I really like the idea of taking a look at Mohammed from the Bears. He'll cost as much as Wilson and is a great guy for the locker room and a strong talented wide receiver that would be a solid #3.

I'd prefer someone under 30 who is going to be around long-term and doesn't have one foot on the banana peel and the other out the door.

brsteelers
02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
As has been said, I don't believe we'll pick up much of anything on the free agent market. Just how it goes with the club.

FourThreeMafia
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM

No way. He is old, with noodle legs and has been declining the last 3 years. Id personally rather keep Wilson.

tony hipchest
02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
No way. He is old, with noodle legs and has been declining the last 3 years.on the pace he's been on, give him another 3 years and he will suck as bad as wilson.

(its not like wilsons stock has been steadily climbing since hes been here.)

aclark99
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
I really believe that Jerry Porter or Bryant Johnson would be the better additions. Both are younger and have the size that Ben is requesting. I strongly believe Porter would be the wild card like Randy Moss was for New England. Porter is fast and strong and can stretch the field like Holmes. I would be satisfied with either or but would prefer Porter.

FourThreeMafia
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
on the pace he's been on, give him another 3 years and he will suck as bad as wilson.

(its not like wilsons stock has been steadily climbing since hes been here.)

Wilson was fine last year. His production doesnt justify his contract, but the reason his production has been low is he didnt get that many oppurtunities in 2007. He didnt have many drops and he stepped up a few times.

Is Wilson anything special? No way, but Id rather have him than a 35 year old reciever who gets winded walking out of the tunnell, has noodle legs by halftime and cant catch nearly as good as he used to.

Wilson may not be that good, but at this point, he is a better option that Moose.

If you guys want to cut Wilson, thats fine, but at least talk about bringing in a replacement who would be an upgrade over him.

Moose wouldnt be. Period.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Well I'd have to disagree cause I feel Moose's declining numbers are more a product of the system and team he played for than anything else. But that's cool, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not looking for a #1 or #2, I want a solid #3 for Ben to throw to that doesn't drop the ball like Nate does and has the ability to seperate and get open unlike Cedric.

FourThreeMafia
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Well I'd have to disagree cause I feel Moose's declining numbers are more a product of the system and team he played for than anything else. But that's cool, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not looking for a #1 or #2, I want a solid #3 for Ben to throw to that doesn't drop the ball like Nate does and has the ability to seperate and get open unlike Cedric.

Well, I have no problem agreeing to disagree, but if you think Moose is getting much seperation these days, you should go back and watch him play this year. His hands arent nearly as good as they used to be either.

Washington is starting to come around and I can albeit guarantee he would beat out Muhammed for the number 3 job. If we cut Wilson, I see us either drafting another WR or bringing a reciever like Wilford or Malcolm Floyd.

Believe me, I liked Moose, but he is nowhere near the same player he once was. He is still a pretty good blocker, but he doesnt catch as well, run as fast or get seperation nearly as good as he used to.

Thats just wasting money on an over the hill player that will just take up space and probably retire in 2 years.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Only need a couple years out of him at the Number 3 to produce more than Ced has lately and groom a young WR, if it isn't Nate or Dallas Baker...just trying to be a realistic guy here. Figure he'd come cheap, has had a rough time playing for the QB less Bears and maybe a shot of "playoff" bound tradition of Pittsburgh would do him good. We aren't the 1 good season in 8 Panthers or the 2 good Seasons in 10 Bears. We are a pretty solid franchise that a Vet like him could find himself some new life with.

I personally just really want a Center first and foremost. But that won't happen. I'm still concerned as to who the heck is snapping the ball next year, because its obvious, Mahan, can't do that job for Pittsburgh.

FourThreeMafia
02-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Only need a couple years out of him at the Number 3 to produce more than Ced has lately and groom a young WR, if it isn't Nate or Dallas Baker...just trying to be a realistic guy here. Figure he'd come cheap, has had a rough time playing for the QB less Bears and maybe a shot of "playoff" bound tradition of Pittsburgh would do him good. We aren't the 1 good season in 8 Panthers or the 2 good Seasons in 10 Bears. We are a pretty solid franchise that a Vet like him could find himself some new life with.

I personally just really want a Center first and foremost. But that won't happen. I'm still concerned as to who the heck is snapping the ball next year, because its obvious, Mahan, can't do that job for Pittsburgh.

I understand your reasoning, and I respect it, but I am just not big on bringing in an old timer on his last legs. We have a far better recieving corps than Chicago and they are cutting him, so that tells me he really isnt worth signing unless a team is really desperate, and I dont believe we are.

And I think we can all agree that Mahan needs replaced. I believe he will still be starting next season, but I really hope we find someone better, which doesnt seem like a daunting task, but might be.

lilyoder6
02-20-2008, 06:27 PM
i think that we do have a nice wr core with the 4 wr's we have.. reid is getting better and could be a underneath route runner for ben to throw too.. not unless there is a good talented wr in the draft when we are drafting i say keep the wr's

Galax Steeler
02-21-2008, 04:41 AM
I'd say cut wilson and reid,then bring in somone for the no. 3 slot reid just is not living up to his potential he is a waste of roster spots.

drew102e
02-21-2008, 09:33 AM
are there any return men out there that can be picked up on the cheap and dont cost a draft pick also

Dino 6 Rings
02-21-2008, 12:24 PM
are there any return men out there that can be picked up on the cheap and dont cost a draft pick also

don't know...can Ty Law return kicks as well as cover them?

:banana:

CanadianSteel
02-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Probaly dreaming, but I would like to see Steelers go after Jerry Porter from the raiders. I think he is only around 29 or29, and feel his has always been a big play receiver who has been stuck with the raiders.

Thoughts ??

Dino 6 Rings
02-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Yuck, Porter is a "me" guy. Didn't he refuse to play for an entire season for the Raiders. I'd rather Moose than Porter any day. Moose has a great work ethic and is a great team player.

aclark99
02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Would you want to play for a team that doesn't have qb along with moss. He wasn't seeing a ball while opposite Moss. His QB was Andrew Walters not exactly your franchise QB. He would be an excellent addition to the team. Remember, Hines is getting older and has been injured more often. We need a guy that can come in take some of the heat off of Hines. I am still not sold on Holmes just yet - injury prone due to his size?

CanadianSteel
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Yuck, Porter is a "me" guy. Didn't he refuse to play for an entire season for the Raiders. I'd rather Moose than Porter any day. Moose has a great work ethic and is a great team player.

Yes he definatley had his problems with the Raiders, but they are messed up out there in Raider land. Not sure I don't take Porters side on that one.
Anyhow, a very polished receiver who has always had good yards per catch and could be a good fit on the right team.cHoping we are that team.

If it was between him and Moose, I would take Porter hands down, and "twice on Sundays" :smile:

faneca05
02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I think signing Porter would be a great idea. Then we could put him outside and let Hines work the slot like Wes Welker.

Preacher
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I think signing Porter would be a great idea. Then we could put him outside and let Hines work the slot like Wes Welker.

I agree...

I think Porter is in the exact same situation as Jerome Bettis. He was made a scapegoat for the teams problems two years ago, and has not recovered from that. He needs a fresh start on a team that cares more about winning then about themselves. He could easily step into the 2 spot, and Ward move down to the slot receiver.

For Ward, I think the Rooney's would have to call him into their office and make a deal with him. If you're willing to work with us over the next few years on contract.... We will treat you just like Jerome Bettis, and you will retire here.

Dino 6 Rings
02-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree...

I think Porter is in the exact same situation as Jerome Bettis. He was made a scapegoat for the teams problems two years ago, and has not recovered from that. He needs a fresh start on a team that cares more about winning then about themselves. He could easily step into the 2 spot, and Ward move down to the slot receiver.

For Ward, I think the Rooney's would have to call him into their office and make a deal with him. If you're willing to work with us over the next few years on contract.... We will treat you just like Jerome Bettis, and you will retire here.

Good call, I'd like to see the same thing happen to Ward as with Jerome, retire a Steeler, it seems not to happen often enough. Especially on the D-side of the ball, and the more guys that hang up the cleats the same time they hang up the Steelers Jersey...the Better !!!

Porter...I'll have to read more about him. I just find guys from Oakland...shady. Personal prejudice for sure.