PDA

View Full Version : See-ya Clark!!!

aclark99
02-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Just read on profootballtalk.com that Mr. Haggans will not be back. I am not necessarily in agreement with it but Woodley is ready. We now need to look for OLB depth. Andre Frazier is not that mold for the Steelers. We seriuosly need OLB depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft an OLB in the first round if they guy we covet is gone. Thoughts????

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I highly doubt the Steelers will draft a Linebacker in the 1st again this season. We drafted LB 1st and 2nd last year, and the linebackers in this year's draft don't outway the good olinemen that will be available by the time we pick.

The Duke
02-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft an OLB in the first round if they guy we covet is gone. Thoughts????

no way

timmons and woodley last year, remember them?

steelpride12
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
AHH! I have been a Haggans fan since he has been in a Stiller uniform and i wish him the best of luck wherever he may end up!
It's time for the young to be released with the multi-talented Woodley im excited to see him play all snaps and also a full season!

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
:Hate to see Clark go...man I hope he goes to a West Coast nfc team...I don't want to see him in a Pats or afc north uniform...I like him too much. Porter in a fins uniform is hard enough to deal with. Man...I hate that we are always so loaded at linebacker.

always loaded at linebacker...:tt02:

19ward86
02-20-2008, 05:25 PM
i wouldnt disagree with us drafting an outside linebacker like keith rivers. then next year we can trade james harrison for some draft picks, by the way he is like 31 or 32. i would love for us to have a solid linebacking core of top players like the 06 ravens, adalius thomas, suggs, lewis, and bart scott. oohhh baby that would be cool.

HometownGal
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Good luck Clark. :cheers: Woodley will do just fine. :tt02:

aclark99
02-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Steeler fans are always tough on there former players. It would be nice to see Clark back. Woodley has done nothing to show that he is going to be a stud in the NFL. I know he had 2 nice games at the end of the season. However that doesn't make him a stud. If he comes out during training camp playing poorly, every Steeler fan will say "The Rooney's are cheap and didn't offer Haggans a contract!!" It is very important to have a veteran to teach these young pups. James Harrison has only started 1 season. Reality is just reality.

BlastFurnace
02-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I always liked Clark, but this year clearly showed he was on the decline. He gave us some nice years and I wish him the best.

lilyoder6
02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
harrison is 29 right now and prob be 30 by the time the season starts... woodly will be a good upgrade over haggans he's younger and showed better physic than haggans... and haggans could go to miami to re-unite with joey and then they could have a complete lb core

Dylan
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
i don't see this as a big loss, woodley is a beast

Steeler in Carolina
02-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Good luck in the future Clark. This bud's for you:cheers:

tony hipchest
02-20-2008, 07:04 PM
before we buy him flowers and balloons lets keep in mind were talking about a PFT report and it doesnt take a genius to speculate haggans wont be back.

fansince'76
02-20-2008, 07:07 PM
before we buy him flowers and balloons lets keep in mind were talking about a PFT report and it doesnt take a genius to speculate haggans wont be back.

:iagree: Thank you.

Steeldude
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Just read on profootballtalk.com that Mr. Haggans will not be back. I am not necessarily in agreement with it but Woodley is ready. We now need to look for OLB depth. Andre Frazier is not that mold for the Steelers. We seriuosly need OLB depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft an OLB in the first round if they guy we covet is gone. Thoughts????

the steelers would draft LILB before OLB. they can fill a backup OLB spot via free agency.

Steeldude
02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Steeler fans are always tough on there former players. It would be nice to see Clark back. Woodley has done nothing to show that he is going to be a stud in the NFL. I know he had 2 nice games at the end of the season. However that doesn't make him a stud. If he comes out during training camp playing poorly, every Steeler fan will say "The Rooney's are cheap and didn't offer Haggans a contract!!" It is very important to have a veteran to teach these young pups. James Harrison has only started 1 season. Reality is just reality.

how much worse could he do? i admit haggans is better than porter when he left, but haggans isn't hard-to-replace superstar. i think woodley will do ok in his first year. i don't see a huge decline happening.

IMO, i wouldn't want haggans showing woodley the ropes. haggans turned into a porter/gildon. a one-move wonder, but not as bad. at least he would still fight rather than depend on huge loop to reach the QB.

the steelers are going to have a tough 2008 year. that schedule is a doozy. i am more worried about the O-line than the LB corps.

SteelCityMan786
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I highly doubt the Steelers will draft a Linebacker in the 1st again this season. We drafted LB 1st and 2nd last year, and the linebackers in this year's draft don't outway the good olinemen that will be available by the time we pick.

If we draft ANY Linebackers, the only good name I can suggest is Connor. Others I have to read up on.

steel65
02-20-2008, 10:32 PM
clark was a Good fit for the steelers but they need to go young to compete in the tough AFC he's lost a step let the young guys show us what they got they can pick up an olb later in the draft.

Preacher
02-21-2008, 01:02 AM

:sofunny:

too true.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-21-2008, 01:10 AM
wonder how long it will be before the Cheatriots start sniffing around him.

MDSteel15
02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
If we draft ANY Linebackers, the only good name I can suggest is Connor. Others I have to read up on.

Henderson OLB Maryland...... :cheer:

Rhee Rhee
02-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Henderson OLB Maryland...... :cheer:

definitely not a 3-4 OLB... if anyone tommy blake, TCU... i don't wanna hear all this shat about how he has "no mental toughness" the man is a top 20 talent that will be there on the second day...

Galax Steeler
02-21-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't think we need to draft a linebacker in the first couple of rounds maybe late in the draft.

Elvis
02-21-2008, 06:11 AM
I think that the Steelers should offer him a smaller contract and if he takes it then ok. But I really think that the Steelers will show their hand if they release him. If they sign him then they are not totally convinced that Woodley is ready, if they dont even try to sign him back then Woodley according to them is ready. I think that the Steelers should be thinking about our future at ILB though, unless the move of Timmons is a sure thing to the inside.
:coffee:

DACEB
02-21-2008, 07:49 AM
First off, Would'nt mind having you back as a backup Clark, but either way good luck.

Now, I think it would be an excellent idea to draft either OLB or ILB or both. Timmons will probably move to Foote's spot, but IMO he is destined for Farriors spot. The team needs to groom a player for the inside, unless you draft for outside with the plan to move Harrison inside after Timmons is set inside.

drew102e
02-21-2008, 09:45 AM
its not impossible, i remember the steelers seemed to waste a first rounder on a WR every year there for a while,

but i would bet they try to find an LB in the 4-7 rounds

SteelersMongol
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd hate 2 c him go. I hope he stays.

Santonio4
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
We need him to stay, Timmons is a joke and Woodley is already getting to many props from some people on this site. Lamar made some decent plays last year but lets not jump the gun and say he is ready to start.

lilyoder6
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
i don't think we need him to stay.,.. he is almost 30 and if he is asking for big money y give it to him and not alan???

The Duke
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
why is Timmons a joke? he's barely even been on the field, and there's a reason for that- James Harrison, and James Farrior, and when you think about it it's a good thing, he's learning from very good football players

as for haggans, I know we'll miss him, but the rooney's wouldn't be releasing him if they didn't think woodley was ready

jjpro11
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
We need him to stay, Timmons is a joke and Woodley is already getting to many props from some people on this site. Lamar made some decent plays last year but lets not jump the gun and say he is ready to start.

haggans slowed down big time last year and it was very evident. he got benched in the playoff game in favor of woodley because he was not effective.

lilyoder6
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
it wouldn't matter any way i mean haggans is 30 and he'l be leaving soonor or later so y not start the younger player who showed that he can play better than haggans

fansince'76
02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Timmons is a joke....

A little early to declare Timmons a bust. Funny how some folks think that a rookie not starting qualifies them immediately as a bust. News flash: MOST ROOKIES DON'T START.

Stlrs4Life
02-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Exactly, I think everybody knew he would be gone. Unless he will stay for less $$, and as a back up. PFT reporting old news, imagine that.

revefsreleets
02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Playing LB in the Steelers 3-4 ain't easy. Fortunately, the Steelers have a keen sense of when the new guys are ready to replace the old.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed for some of the people posting in this thread. I've seen ignorance, but this stuff is bordering on mental retardation. Haggins was a disciplined player who knew his role. He played under control and fulfilled his assignments. He was rarely out of place, and in a scheme-heavy defense, that's huge. Numbers aren't always indicative of a players performance when that player is playing in a system. He was solid 99% of the time, but, ultimately, time will be his undoing as a Steeler. I wish him well...

tony hipchest
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Playing LB in the Steelers 3-4 ain't easy. Fortunately, the Steelers have a keen sense of when the new guys are ready to replace the old.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed for some of the people posting in this thread. I've seen ignorance, but this stuff is bordering on mental retardation. Haggins was a disciplined player who knew his role. He played under control and fulfilled his assignments. He was rarely out of place, and in a scheme-heavy defense, that's huge. Numbers aren't always indicative of a players performance when that player is playing in a system. He was solid 99% of the time, but, ultimately, time will be his undoing as a Steeler. I wish him well...i wasnt around mb's at the time, but i wonder if rod woodson was getting shit and pissed on by steelerfans as he was one foot out the door.

revefsreleets
02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
i wasnt around mb's at the time, but i wonder if rod woodson was getting shit and pissed on by steelerfans as he was one foot out the door.

Well, that's a tough call. It's hard to be sure who got shit on more: Woodson for sucking so bad and betraying the City, or the Rooney's for being so cheap.

Trust me, those were not heady times on Steelers message boards. Veritable armies of bags of hammers were literally starting flame wars with the legions of boxes of rocks...there were times when merely logging onto a Steelers message board meant you were sacrificing 10 IQ points.

LVSteelersfan
02-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Haggans is expendable. He is older and too slow. Woodley will be fine once he gets used to playing all the time. I am not sure about Timmons. We don't have enough on him yet to figure out how he will do. I suspect if he stays healthy, we will get a heavy dose of Timmons in the coming year.

drew102e
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
alonzo jackson didnt start or play much his rookie year and he turned out pretty....oh wait forget it :)

Dino 6 Rings
02-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I think coming from FSU and being very young to be a first round draft pick, played against Timmon's off season and potential in 07. He has to improve this off season, and if he's motivated to do so, he has the skills to be a starter in our defense next year.

Woodley is good and has potential to be great. Its amazing to me that forever, we have some of the best linebackers in the nfl history.

Dino 6 Rings
02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, that's a tough call. It's hard to be sure who got shit on more: Woodson for sucking so bad and betraying the City, or the Rooney's for being so cheap.

Trust me, those were not heady times on Steelers message boards. Veritable armies of bags of hammers were literally starting flame wars with the legions of boxes of rocks...there were times when merely logging onto a Steelers message board meant you were sacrificing 10 IQ points.

From what I remember, the Steelers made Woodson an offer, that he declined, then he went on the free agent market, and actually signed with Baltimore for LESS than what our offer was to him.

Hapa
02-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I think Lawrence Timmons or Woodley could both get the job done- they both seem like very capable backers

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Dan Connor may be the only 1st round OLB in this years draft...after that there is about 6 others who may go on the first day.

We wont touch LB on the first day.

pidots
02-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Keith Rivers may also go in the 1st Round

with Clark gone, Timmons and Woodley can get the job done. I will be excited to see Woodley playing sometimes in the Weak Side, he would be a Sack Machine

lilyoder6
02-23-2008, 10:17 AM
there are some draft "experts" predicting that connor will drop to the late of the 1st rd to the g-men i beleive is the team to get him..

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Keith Rivers may also go in the 1st Round

Rivers is projected at OLB in some drafts and MLB in others...but your right that he will go in the first.

revefsreleets
02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
From what I remember, the Steelers made Woodson an offer, that he declined, then he went on the free agent market, and actually signed with Baltimore for LESS than what our offer was to him.

And what position did he play in Baltimore? What were the terms of the contract? How many years? Was that before or after we had a new stadium with all the new revenue streams?

Apples and oranges, and I maintain my position that the Rooney's know what they are doing while internet prognosticators, even though they outnumber the brass 10,000,000 to one, don't.

1fastprototype
02-23-2008, 10:24 PM
If we remember Woodson had just mist the entire season with acl only to have an ok superbowl. I still think he was one of the best but the odds of him playing at top level were against him. He was already losing a step before the injury. The Steelers basically signed around him not leaving much left on the table to offer. They basically pulled a Franco on him and left no alternative but to move on. I think right now Fanaca is getting the same deal. The burgh has always had a tough time cutting players we truely love so they take the back door approach and sign around these players without coming right out and being up front. The same would have happened to Bettis but he knew his stock was not as valuable else were so he made the first move to say I will stay for what ever you offer me.

Hapa
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Clark Haggans is one of those really underrated players and it's sad to see him go, but I think Timmons and Woodley need time to prove themselves- and they will

lilyoder6
02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
he was under-rated but the way woodly played in the limited time u just can't stand by and let him stay on the sidelines.. u need to unleash him and see what he can really do..

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Rivers is projected at OLB in some drafts and MLB in others...but your right that he will go in the first.

Inside or outside, Keith Rivers is a hell of a football player. He's probably the best linebacker in the draft this year.

He could be a replacement for James Farrior.

NV STEELERS 723
02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Good luck Clark. :cheers: Woodley will do just fine. :tt02:

I can't agree more !