PDA

View Full Version : Starks Will Play LEFT TACKLE.....

RJC
02-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Marvel Smith's days are numbered. Write that down. Age & Injury have taken their toll on the dude, and out of shadows emerged his replacement. Max Starks the forgotten man of the O-Line last season filled in solidly at LT to the point that it appears the Steelers front office has decided to give Max, Marvel's money. They hit with the "Transition Tag" giving them right of first refusal, which means any contract offered by another team has the right to be matched. They won't give him that type of coin to be a swing man backup. That's starters money, and start he will. Max Starks will be the next LEFT TACKLE of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Personally I like the move. Now if we could only slide Colon to LG, and Simmons to C, and elevate Kemo to LG we don't have as many holes on the OL as we thought. Maybe allow a opne camp competition with Essex, Cappizzi, and a mid round draft pick in camp. All this leads to there being some kind of surprise 1st round pick that has little to do with the OL....:twocents:

SCSTILLER
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
RJC, I have to agree with you on this one. I said last year that when he filled in that he seems to be better there than Smith (at the moment). I agree that there may be a surprise in the first round of the draft for us, but we NEED to get some depth on the O-line and we need to draft one on the first day.

lilyoder6
02-21-2008, 09:14 AM
it was a interesting move.... at least we know we have max to play for us..

19ward86
02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
i think starks is the best non-soon to be rookie for the job. congrats, and good luck to marvel smith with finding a new job.

Steelerfreak58
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Marvel Smith's days are numbered. Write that down. Age & Injury have taken their toll on the dude, and out of shadows emerged his replacement. Max Starks the forgotten man of the O-Line last season filled in solidly at LT to the point that it appears the Steelers front office has decided to give Max, Marvel's money. They hit with the "Transition Tag" giving them right of first refusal, which means any contract offered by another team has the right to be matched. They won't give him that type of coin to be a swing man backup. That's starters money, and start he will. Max Starks will be the next LEFT TACKLE of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Personally I like the move. Now if we could only slide Colon to LG, and Simmons to C, and elevate Kemo to LG we don't have as many holes on the OL as we thought. Maybe allow a opne camp competition with Essex, Cappizzi, and a mid round draft pick in camp. All this leads to there being some kind of surprise 1st round pick that has little to do with the OL....:twocents:

What about Mahan? I think moving him to Guard (his original playing position) might also help. Yes Mahan did not do well at Center but he never really started there and he has been a Guard most of his career. I say give him a chance at Guard competition with the rest.

rbryan
02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Don't be so quick to throw MS under the bus. Theres a reason we drafted him 38th overall in 2000. He didn't play the first three years so he's a young 8 year veteran and already signed threw 08 for relatively low $ This year is his last shot to convince somebody to give him one more contract, so something tells me he's gonna turn it up a notch.

Next year, now thats a different story.

Mistah_Q
02-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Don't be so quick to throw MS under the bus. Theres a reason we drafted him 38th overall in 2000. He didn't play the first three years so he's a young 8 year veteran and already signed threw 08 for relatively low $ This year is his last shot to convince somebody to give him one more contract, so something tells me he's gonna turn it up a notch.

Just quoting to fill in that he's talking about Marvel Smith here.

(You say MS. . in a thread where we're talking about Marvel Smith and Max Starts :wink02: )

Santonio4
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
We need a guard in the draft so we are gonnna have to give him a chance to have a big year.

lilyoder6
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
max needs to trim down a lil and he could become better with the water weight gone and he could move a lil better..

tony hipchest
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
max needs to trim down a lil and he could become better with the water weight gone and he could move a lil better..

seriously, how does any steelerfan know how much water max retains? :dang:

jjpro11
02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
we still havent been able to see starks playing LT and smith playing RT at the same time. i have hopes that this could improve the line if smith is healthy. starks has shown he is clearly better at LT than RT and smith is a natural RT. hopefully smith's back can hold up.

RJC
02-21-2008, 06:31 PM

You do know that Marvel Smith started his rookie season at RT right? You also know that by all accounts he has what's considered a chronic back inury right?

:yep:

rbryan
02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm betting his chronic back feels a whole lot better now that this is his last shot to get paid again. I keep him around this year because he's in the last year of his deal and is reasonably priced. No real upside to getting rid of him unless you're telling me he can't play at all this coming year, which hasn't yet been decided.

lilyoder6
02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
that could be nice with max and smith at tackles.. colon and mahan possibly at guards and simmons at center or switching mahan and simmons by giving mahan a another try at c

Preacher
02-21-2008, 07:45 PM
I still wonder if they are going to try SMITH at guard.

Think about it. At Tackle, you are having to step and twist to catch the guys coming off the end/stunting.

At Guard, basically, you block straight ahead. If no one is coming, you simply step back and zone block. I think it would be MUCH better on his back.

In that case, you a line that looks like this...

LEFT TACKLE LEFT GUARD CENTER RIGHT GUARD RIGHT TACKLE
Starks Mahan Simmons Smith Colon
Starks Smith Mahan Simmons Colon
Starks Draft pick Battle(Mah/Sim) Smith Colon

Understand, Colon will be fighting with Kemo for that position possibly... and hopefully a couple draft picks will be able to challenge for any of these positions.

Elvis
02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Max did play pretty well at LT and that is without a full offseason to work at that position. Does anyone else think that maybe Tomlins' shuffling of the Oline last offseason was a Mistake? I think that maybe.... no not maybe... It was a Mistake to me, it just took to must time away from our Oline jelling together. It takes time for things to get smooth and it is too hard to learn each other on the run.
:thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
02-22-2008, 04:43 AM
seriously, how does any steelerfan know how much water max retains? :dang:

:toofunny::toofunny:

sherlock
02-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Reading this thread has made me wonder what prompts a player to play LT and another RT.
In soccer,generally speaking,a left footed player plays on the left and a right footed player plays on the right.
In American football is it anything to do with a player being naturally left or right handed that determines his position?

Haiku_Dirtt
02-25-2008, 02:39 AM

Not quite sure where to start. If it's pure opium you have then just send it C.O.D. No wait. I'll just send for it. Because that is the only way to look at the immediate Steeler future with giddy smile.

"Max Starks the forgotten man of the O-Line last season" The only problem with this is that we didn't forget him immediately after XL. And because he had no picks in XL even Al Davis wouldn't get snookered into carrying his weight. DEAD WEIGHT

Slide Colon? Elevate Kemo? Essex and Cippizzi? YUM. Opium. Dancing nymphs. Rigging the PA Lottery. The rougue punk bringing down the brilliantly secure French bank.

Cippizzi is the most lucid option only because he hasn't been given any time to prove otherwise. But please. We are empty. Not low. Empty.

There is no cap for the scouting department. Organic growth is what we need. The Rooney's are AWASH in MERCHANDISING PROCEEDS. They are accountable. They have two seasons to give me a world class offensive line. Or I'll piss and moan and give them another decade. And another.

But we don't need to go there. AND THEY KNOW

RJC
02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Reading this thread has made me wonder what prompts a player to play LT and another RT.
In soccer,generally speaking,a left footed player plays on the left and a right footed player plays on the right.
In American football is it anything to do with a player being naturally left or right handed that determines his position?

Well you'd think that would be the case, but it's not, at least here in Pittsburgh. You see Max Starks, our former RT is.....LEFT HANDED. That's right, our RT was left handed. Anyone else notice how when he stepped in for Marvel at LT this season he looked more natural? Think him being left handed has anything to do with that? That he might be more comfortable sliding to his left, punching to the left. so on and so forth? Starks will be a solid presence at LT for us providing we can keep him.

It's the same when it came out that Michael Vick wasn't even left handed, that he did everything with his right hand, except throw a football. Dumb....

RJC
02-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Not quite sure where to start. If it's pure opium you have then just send it C.O.D. No wait. I'll just send for it. Because that is the only way to look at the immediate Steeler future with giddy smile.

"Max Starks the forgotten man of the O-Line last season" The only problem with this is that we didn't forget him immediately after XL. And because he had no picks in XL even Al Davis wouldn't get snookered into carrying his weight. DEAD WEIGHT

Slide Colon? Elevate Kemo? Essex and Cippizzi? YUM. Opium. Dancing nymphs. Rigging the PA Lottery. The rougue punk bringing down the brilliantly secure French bank.

Cippizzi is the most lucid option only because he hasn't been given any time to prove otherwise. But please. We are empty. Not low. Empty.

There is no cap for the scouting department. Organic growth is what we need. The Rooney's are AWASH in MERCHANDISING PROCEEDS. They are accountable. They have two seasons to give me a world class offensive line. Or I'll piss and moan and give them another decade. And another.

But we don't need to go there. AND THEY KNOW'''

I'd bet dollars to donuts that I forgot more about football this morning brushing my teeth than you will ever hope to know. Colon is better suited to play OG/C. That's not opinion, it's fact. He has short arms and doesn't play well in space. He's a "phone booth" player. Essex gave glimpses last season in his relief of Starks that he may have a future on this team. At the end of the day there's going to be changes. As it stands right now, there's going to be one loss from the unit, and that's Faneca. We carry 6, maybe 7 OL in game day. The following are locks to be active: Starks, Kemoeatu, Simmons, Colon, Essex, & Mahan. That leaves one spot. Now you tell me how many spots are available on this team. Opium? Yeah, ok....

rbryan
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Maybe it's wishfull thinking, but I'm confident that the Olineman we have on the roster right now will get it done this year. I believe its even less likely that a FA or rookie is going to come in this year and be the answer. Someone is going to step up and it will be a surprise to most everyone, except the FO.

The Steelers philosophy is a lot like Joe Pa's, young players rarely play even if they are the best option. I have faith that a player or two we aren't really talking much about will emerge as a starter and do very well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Smith with return from injury and play his final year with the Steelers. Starks will be signed and play RT this season, then move to LT next year(for good or bad). The Steelers will draft a tackle prospect in the first 2 rounds and give him a year to learn the system...thats what it takes.

Please name the last rookie O-lineman to step in and be a force for the Steelers.....I think his name was Faneca, but I could be wrong.

The O line this year will probably be Smith, Kemo, Mahan(unless they admit the mistake and replace him) Simmons, Starks.

Colon is the wildcard here as they have already said they like him as a guard better and is a nasty blocker. I think he backs up at guard and if Kemo falters Willie gets a shot.

Its never worked in years past, but If Simmons could play center, then they can get their best 5 linemen on the field. Smith, Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Starks.

rbryan
02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I think center is the key. Hopefully Mahan has been reading all accounts of his shortcomings and is currently spending most his time going back and forth between a buffet and the weight room. At least he has a year under his belt now. Maybe it's been unfair to consider him a bust as he was playing his first year at the position.

I still think he may be the replacement for Faneca at Guard. I'd like to see a Tackle and a Center drafted in the first 4 rds for the future.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Mahan played C at Tampa Bay too. I think he is the weakest link too, but again not many great ones that can step in this year so he is probably starting again.

Next years draft is supposed to be deeper at the C position. Hopefully he is spending time in the weight room right now.

RJC
02-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Haiku Dirt, read and weep, then realize I know infinitely more than you....
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_554104.html

paw-n-maul-u
02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I gotta agree with you, RJC. I honestly don't feel our O-line problems are as bad as originally perceived.

Colon definitly needs to play guard. and I feel he could excel there.

Maybe Marvel Smith should play RT, Starks can play left tackle for a year while we groom him.

Kendall Simmons i just don't know about, I don't feel he had a very good year, but he wasn't helped much with our center getting "Mahandled", and guys blowing right past colon on the right of him. We gave him a big contract and he's gonna start.

At center? Maybe. would that mean colon and kemo fight it out for Faneca's spot?

I wouldn't mind a draft that went:

Otah
Hardy
Forte

Rogers-cromartie
Rachal or albert
forte

VTsteel
02-26-2008, 06:00 PM

But we don't need to go there. AND THEY KNOW

I don't know - I thought this post was kinda funny.
And I do agree with the spirit of the message . . . IMO . . . The line play stunk last year and will stink again this year - unless we infuse a little better talent on the line. Personally, I think our biggest weakness was at center. But a grade A offensive tackle (in the draft) sure would help

lilyoder6
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
she should put colon at center and have mahan simmons at guards. and then smith and starks at tackles... evryone is happy and we can groom the drafted o lineman

ChronoCross
02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
I would like to see Starks at LT for a full season.. He gave up no sacks in 3 games he played at LT for us that he started..

I would like to see mahan moved to guard were he belongs.. He gets blown up at the center position. Wether he wins a starting position at guard who knows..

We all know the O Line needs adjustment so I cannot wait to see who we draft and what we do this upcoming season.

Preacher
02-27-2008, 01:45 AM
I would like to see Starks at LT for a full season.. He gave up no sacks in 3 games he played at LT for us that he started..

I would like to see mahan moved to guard were he belongs.. He gets blown up at the center position. Wether he wins a starting position at guard who knows..

We all know the O Line needs adjustment so I cannot wait to see who we draft and what we do this upcoming season.

It sure would be nice to see that work.

That would mean we would only have to draft a person to play center, and then fix the right side of our line. Heck, AGAIN, I say let colon have a shot at center... then draft soneone for his position.

Then draft a stud lineman to fight for a starting spot ANYWHERE along the line.

2 of the first 3 picks.

lilyoder6
02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
LT: starks
LG: mahan
C: colon
RG: simmons
RT: smith

thats what i would like to see.. but i doubt i would unless i do it on madden 08...

sherlock
02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Well you'd think that would be the case, but it's not, at least here in Pittsburgh. You see Max Starks, our former RT is.....LEFT HANDED. That's right, our RT was left handed. Anyone else notice how when he stepped in for Marvel at LT this season he looked more natural? Think him being left handed has anything to do with that? That he might be more comfortable sliding to his left, punching to the left. so on and so forth? Starks will be a solid presence at LT for us providing we can keep him.

It's the same when it came out that Michael Vick wasn't even left handed, that he did everything with his right hand, except throw a football. Dumb....

Thanks for your answer RJC.....i guess it wasn`t as stupid a question as I feared!
Does anyone know of any QB`s who were/are comfortable thowing with both hands?