PDA

View Full Version : My NFL Channel is gone!

Kittyfish
02-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Not sure which would be the right thread to put this in, but I have to cry a little bit on your shoulders.

All of a sudden, my DIsh network has decided to make the NFL channel part of a premium subscription! I am absolutely heartbroken - I loved me some NFL network, and watched it frequently. I called to register a complaint and in the recorded instructions, there was an option if you were calling about the NFL channel being gone. I pressed it, and all it was was instructions on how to order it. Thank you so much. I hung on until someone picked up my call and yelled at that poor guy for a while. I asked him why all of a sudden, NFL went premium when I had been receiving it already for a couple of years (he was trying to tell me it was a "free preview") and why I had received an ad for Dish network THAT SAME DAY which listed NFL as part of the basic package. He had no answers for me, which was pretty much what I expected. I told him I'd be happy to pay $5 extra monthly for the NFL channel but I refused to pay $40 a month more for NFL plus a lot of other crap I didn't want. $40 a month really adds up, and I can't afford that anyway. He wasn't able to help at all - and again, I didn't really expect him to be able to - he was just some poor working class shmoe who happened to be next in line when I called, but I did ask him to register a complaint with TPTB on my behalf. I am very upset! I hope other people will refuse to pay the extra and maybe they'll bring it back to the basic package. Yeah, I know, keep dreaming.

I have no idea what I'm going to do now. They took my drug away from me and I'm jonesing for a fix already. I hate that I will miss the scouting combine, the specials that they run, the draft selections, the NFL replays, the Top 10 countdowns, the classic game reruns, the America's Games, etc. Thank God I recorded a lot of that stuff, but I will be missing anything new they have.

Thanks for letting me vent. I am so unhappy and upset right now I don't know whether to cry or spit nails.

fansince'76
02-21-2008, 09:51 AM
If you would have been nicer to the customer service rep, your complaint might actually get somewhere. I can guarantee you that your complaint isn't going to go anywhere if you truly did "yell at" the customer service rep. I can also assure you it wasn't his decision to make the NFL network part of a premium package that way either. The people you really want to yell at aren't anywhere near the phones. Just my :twocents:.

Stu Pidasso
02-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I work for Dish Network, and I have not heard anything about this programming change. I'll check again when I go in tomorrow. I'm off today.

But when I just read this, I ran upstairs, and turned on the NFL Network.

I have it just fine.

What package are you on, kitty? I have Dish Network, and I'm on America's top 200, the middle package. Are you on the lower package? Maybe that would explain it. And no, I'm not on an employee package. I'm a regular customer like yinz...

Dino 6 Rings
02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Ok, not an employee for Direct TV. But I have to say, its the best thing I've ever put money into.

I got it a few years back, about 4 years ago, just so I could get the NFL package and watch Football. I live in Arkansas, we get ZERO real football and I'm stuck in a the Region of St Louis, KC (sometimes) and Dallas, Tennessee isn't even considered my region. So I buy the NFL Package every year. Now this year, when I re-upped my programming for the NFL package, I was given a free HD Upgrade. Effing right! So now I get HD channels as well as everything else.

I also get the Fox Sports package and get to watch any College I want pretty much in the country. Big East Basketball, Big 10 network, ESPNU, everything. I don't get any movie channels, but I have the 2nd Tier package. So I get all the "cable" channels.

Also note, The Superbowl. At that time, the local channel here out of Fort Smith, that was carrying the Superbowl went down. I turned to the Superbowl at around 4:30 my time to watch a little pre-game and it said "This station is having technical difficulties" I laughed and said figures, but then at about 4:45 when I checked back, there was a message "Please tune to channel 701 for the Superbowl" Sure enough, I turned it on and there was the game. Bonus, it was in HD too!

Now locally, the people with Cable and with Dish didn't get the Superbowl until the station came back up around Half Time.

Also, Direct TV has a pretty good customer service set up. Although I tend to stay on hold for longer than I'd like, they always take care of me when I get through to them.

I am a huge Direct TV fan. The superbowl switch over was the icing on the cake of their awesomeness in my eyes.

Dino 6 Rings
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh and I get the NFL network as part of the base package. It rocks. Channel 212, my daughters know it as "daddy's favorite channel"

ShutDown24
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Your not alone Kittyfish! The day the combine starts [I think] we lose it on Dish Network too! I liked the channel a lot, it had a lot of good shows but we're not upgrading just for it.

Kittyfish
02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
If you would have been nicer to the customer service rep, your complaint might actually get somewhere. I can guarantee you that your complaint isn't going to go anywhere if you truly did "yell at" the customer service rep. I can also assure you it wasn't his decision to make the NFL network part of a premium package that way either. The people you really want to yell at aren't anywhere near the phones. Just my :twocents:.Oh, trust me, fansince76, I am a very shy, non-confrontational sort and didn't really "yell" at him. I told the rep right up-front that I was upset at the change and nothing I would say was directed at him. I spoke in a calm (though frustrated) tone of voice and said I knew he wouldn't be able to do anything about it and I knew it wasn't his decision but I hoped he would be able to relay my disappointment to his higher-ups. I thanked him at the end of the call, and honestly wished a nice evening. I am never rude to someone over the phone, and try not to be in face-to-face encounters either. You'll just have to take my word for that. I used "yelling" as hyperbole when I was posting before. I am still frustrated and being more forceful here than with the Dish employee. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In fact, the only times I really raise my voice on a regular basis is during Steelers games. Which is why my son doesn't like to be around when they're playing. He's not used to me being loud.

What package are you on, kitty? I have Dish Network, and I'm on America's top 200, the middle package. Are you on the lower package? Maybe that would explain it. And no, I'm not on an employee package. I'm a regular customer like yinz...
I have Dish through Sprint/Embarq in a package deal which includes phone and internet service, so it would be a huuuuge inconvenience to switch to another provider. I think we have the "lowest" package, but it did include the NFL network, which as I say, I saw adverstised yesterday as part of the same package I have - at least I still have all the other channels listed there. I live in Western PA and the NFL channel is (was) 154 on my service.

fansince'76
02-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh, trust me, fansince76, I am a very shy, non-confrontational sort and didn't really "yell" at him. I told the rep right up-front that I was upset at the change and nothing I would say was directed at him. I spoke in a calm (though frustrated) tone of voice and said I knew he wouldn't be able to do anything about it and I knew it wasn't his decision but I hoped he would be able to relay my disappointment to his higher-ups. I thanked him at the end of the call, and honestly wished a nice evening. I am never rude to someone over the phone, and try not to be in face-to-face encounters either. You'll just have to take my word for that. I used "yelling" as hyperbole when I was posting before. I am still frustrated and being more forceful here than with the Dish employee. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The misunderstanding was all mine. I sincerely apologize. :cheers:

19ward86
02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
MINE ALSO.......this sucks really bad, my thing expired the 19th, what the hell, 4 days before the combine. what a ripoff.

Stu Pidasso
02-21-2008, 04:19 PM
What is this "thing" you speak of? Free preview? Channel subscription? Whu?

Mistah_Q
02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
It's better than I've got it. . the only cable provider available to me is Time Warner, and they do not carry NFL Network. I can't have a dish here.

SteelCityMan786
02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh and I get the NFL network as part of the base package. It rocks. Channel 212, my daughters know it as "daddy's favorite channel"

It's good that they have learned that. If only my Cable Company would give the NFL Network there.

Kittyfish
02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
The misunderstanding was all mine. I sincerely apologize. :cheers:Apology sincerely accepted. I might have gone overboard trying to explain myself, but I really hated the idea that y'all might think I'm some weirdo screaming banshee, abusing employees left and right. 'Cause I know some people are like that. Unfortunately. :cheers: back atcha.

It makes me feel the tiniest bit better that I'm not the only one who is losing the channel. It makes me feel better still that some others are deciding not to upgrade. Hopefully there are many more.

Stu Pidasso:
What is this "thing" you speak of? Free preview? Channel subscription? Whu? Seriously? I thought you worked for Dish? Just in case, a free preview, also known as a "freeview", is when they allow anybody to enjoy a particular channel for a while free of charge, in hopes that you'll upgrade so that you can watch said channel all the time. They're nice and all, but I'm never tempted. Until now. Tempted, but still no go, though I'm going to miss it terribly. They get enough of my money as it is.

Preacher
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
TO ALL DISH SUBSCRIBERS....

Here is what you do.

Call up dish network... Tell them you have in your nice little hands an advertising for DirecTV, which includes NFL ticket. Tell them the price that the basic package has... and that you want the basic package with the NFL channel for that same price.

When they say they can't break up the pricing like that, tell them that you then want the package the NFL is in for free, or discounted to make up the price, since it is not your fault the company put it in that package.

When they tell you they can't do that, then say, "Well, please cancel my account then. I am going to switch to DirecTV." If they put you through to someone else to cancel, they will ask you why you are canceling. Tell them you are switching to DirecTV. When they ask why, tell them because you are getting the NFL channel in the basic package, and if they can give you the same deal, since you like DishNetwork Better (really important to put that in, as it gives them hope to save the account), you would stay. They should give you some type of offer. Say, half off for a year on the package... the package for free.. etc. etc.

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?

Even if your in a contract, do it. Then when you get to the cancellation people, tell them you will extend the contract starting today.

Again, what do you have to lose?

Yeah... workings sales ruined me.

Stu Pidasso
02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Kitty, sorry for the ambiguity of your post up there, but reading this post: MINE ALSO.......this sucks really bad, my thing expired the 19th, what the hell, 4 days before the combine. what a ripoff.

got me a little confused on what you meant by "thing". Sorry, I'll be more clear next time.

Kittyfish
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Oops, Stu, that was me being dense! What you wrote makes perfect sense now. Apologies.

Preacher, I might try that - thought of something similar myself - but am a little worried that they will just go ahead and cancel me. Like I said, it's a package deal and it would cause major difficulties to switch servers and phone companies and such now. I really do like Dish TV - I'm just angry with them now. There is a reason I don't play poker - I'm not good at bluffing (plus I am a wimp). Might give it a go anyway and see what happens. If I do, I'll report back.

Stu Pidasso
02-21-2008, 10:47 PM
And what preacher says works about 75% of the time. Try it. By the way, I still have NFL Network. Why is it not on some people's Dish and not on others, unless they swapped programming packages?

According to their website:

America's top 200 (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_on_dish/programming_packages/at_200/packages.aspx) (44.99/mo.)has it on channel 154, same as mine.
America's top 100 Plus, (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_on_dish/programming_packages/at_100plus/packages.aspx) the next package down (42.99/mo.) does NOT have it on their lineup.

Why not pay the 2 bucks?

Kittyfish
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
You know, Stu, you may be right. I was reading it to say they wanted $45 MORE a month, which is out of the question. I'd pay $2 extra bucks a month. I need to find an old bill and see what they're charging us currently, and see if it might be worthwhile after all. This whole thread seems to have been a mistake, with misunderstandings all around. I obviously need to get out of the house more and get some fresh air to clear my head before posting!

Stu Pidasso
02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Holy cow, I'm actually doing customer service on my day off! Is there no God? LOL

Preacher
02-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Holy cow, I'm actually doing customer service on my day off! Is there no God? LOL

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

thats hilarious

delhess
02-23-2008, 06:24 AM
my nfl channel is working fine on dishnetwork. (when my reciever is working) it costs me $0.00 a year. it's called free to air, and it's my little hobby, lol

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 09:51 PM
NFL should be going free to all networks this year

JPPT1974
03-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Well we don't have it and wonders
If we did get it, it would be taken off like asap!
BTW, live in East TN!

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 10:45 PM
That sucks in the burgh i know mostly everyone gets it for free

pitt
03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I used to watch it all the time but I refuse to give the cable company one more penny for premium packages. I'm waiting for the day that they move all those stupid shopping channels into a package so I can lose those too.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Where do u live? What company do u use?

Steelers Since '75
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I had NFL Network for at least a year or more and I have the basic 100 Plus channels and then all of a sudden POOF! I don't have it anymore. I called Dish Network and got the same run around from them... even tried well I guess I will be switching to DirecTV but they explained it was out of their hands. I am extremely upset about this... and it will cost more than $2 a month to upgrade to the next package. :banging:

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 02:32 PM
yea isnt nfl network working out a deal now?

SteelerFanInATL
04-05-2008, 01:35 PM

I was wondering if you were going to mention about it being part of the base package.

Stlrs4Life
04-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok, not an employee for Direct TV. But I have to say, its the best thing I've ever put money into.

I got it a few years back, about 4 years ago, just so I could get the NFL package and watch Football. I live in Arkansas, we get ZERO real football and I'm stuck in a the Region of St Louis, KC (sometimes) and Dallas, Tennessee isn't even considered my region. So I buy the NFL Package every year. Now this year, when I re-upped my programming for the NFL package, I was given a free HD Upgrade. Effing right! So now I get HD channels as well as everything else.

I also get the Fox Sports package and get to watch any College I want pretty much in the country. Big East Basketball, Big 10 network, ESPNU, everything. I don't get any movie channels, but I have the 2nd Tier package. So I get all the "cable" channels.

Also note, The Superbowl. At that time, the local channel here out of Fort Smith, that was carrying the Superbowl went down. I turned to the Superbowl at around 4:30 my time to watch a little pre-game and it said "This station is having technical difficulties" I laughed and said figures, but then at about 4:45 when I checked back, there was a message "Please tune to channel 701 for the Superbowl" Sure enough, I turned it on and there was the game. Bonus, it was in HD too!

Now locally, the people with Cable and with Dish didn't get the Superbowl until the station came back up around Half Time.

Also, Direct TV has a pretty good customer service set up. Although I tend to stay on hold for longer than I'd like, they always take care of me when I get through to them.

I am a huge Direct TV fan. The superbowl switch over was the icing on the cake of their awesomeness in my eyes.

I hear ya. Direct TV is way better than Dish Network.

Steeler in Carolina
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I would never part with my Direct TV.