yinzer-inseattle
02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
1-23 DE Calais Campbell, 6-7, 280, Miami
2-55 OG/OT Brandon Albert 6-7 315 Virginia
3-86 CB Chevis Jackson, 6-0, 188, LSU
4-117 C Kory Lichtensteiger, 6-3, 296, Bowling Green
5-148 WR Will Franklin, 6-1, 200, Missouri
6-179 RB Cory Boyd, 6-0, 218, South Carolina

OK I'll exercise my constitutional right to predict the Steelers future despite having no qualifications what-so-ever.

So what's my rationale? In light of the Steelers move on Max Starks, I think we'll look to take a DE in the first round and wait to take a swing OL in the second. Calais Campbell is a beast who would provide size and youth at a position we need. As for the swing OL Brandon Albert and Sam Baker (USC) fit the bill. I favor Albert. After that, I would like to see a solid CB or Center. I think Kory Lichtensteiger fits the Steelers mold; he's nasty and smart and looks to be a good candidate to take up the torch (permanently) at the Center position. Lichtensteiger should be available in the 4th, so we'll have a shot at a solid CB in the 3rd. Chevis Jackson looks like a player and could be a steal in the 3rd.

After that it?s a crap shoot and really depends on who's available. If we can land Boyd in the 5th or 6th I'd be happy.

Let me know how high the crap meter is running on this one. On a crap scale of 1-10 (10 = total crap) I'll grade myself at a 4

pidots
02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
didn't like the Calais Campbell pick... i would have gone with OT in the 1st. Love the Albert and Lichtensteiger picks. grade=5

19ward86
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
everything except for the branden albert pick kinda sucked. dont go for all no name players, not likely to end up being a good pay off.

MasterOfPuppets
02-22-2008, 12:21 PM
actually i don't think it looks bad at all.....:hunch:....as long as albert is a good option at tackle i'd say you've covered all the immediate needs, with descent value across the board.:thumbsup:

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Two offensive linemen and one defensive linemen after the head coach of the team has said they need to get younger and better in both of those units.

It's a start, but I only see one player of three you selected making those units better than they are now.

rbryan
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM

OK I'll exercise my constitutional right to predict the Steelers future despite having no qualifications what-so-ever.

So what's my rationale? In light of the Steelers move on Max Starks, I think we'll look to take a DE in the first round and wait to take a swing OL in the second. Calais Campbell is a beast who would provide size and youth at a position we need. As for the swing OL Brandon Albert and Sam Baker (USC) fit the bill. I favor Albert. After that, I would like to see a solid CB or Center. I think Kory Lichtensteiger fits the Steelers mold; he's nasty and smart and looks to be a good candidate to take up the torch (permanently) at the Center position. Lichtensteiger should be available in the 4th, so we'll have a shot at a solid CB in the 3rd. Chevis Jackson looks like a player and could be a steal in the 3rd.

After that it?s a crap shoot and really depends on who's available. If we can land Boyd in the 5th or 6th I'd be happy.

Let me know how high the crap meter is running on this one. On a crap scale of 1-10 (10 = total crap) I'll grade myself at a 4

Don't be so hard on yourself, your pocmd is as good a guess as anybody elses. lol

Seems everyone is convinced we go OL #1 but I wouldn't be mad with a stud DL.

I'd like to see 2 OL and 2 DL with the first 5 picks. As far as who they are exactly, I'll defer to the FO.

Give It To Abercrombie
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=yinzer-inseattle;368984]1-23 DE Calais Campbell, 6-7, 280, Miami

/QUOTE]

Not going to sweat the last rounds. Replace Campbell with Kentwan Balmer and I'd be very pleased with that haul. Wouldn't mind seeing one of the pure tackles slip (maybe Nicks from Nebraska) but don't see that as realistic.

Balmer for the D-line or Cherilus for RT are my two hopes for our 1st rounder.

Rhee Rhee
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
if balmer is there i'd rather have him...

i really really don't think albert will last....

brsteelers
02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Boyd is an interesting pick where you've got him. I'd still like to see them go O-Line in the first round, probably tackle. Good conversation starter.

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself, your pocmd is as good a guess as anybody elses. lol

Seems everyone is convinced we go OL #1 but I wouldn't be mad with a stud DL.

I'd like to see 2 OL and 2 DL with the first 5 picks. As far as who they are exactly, I'll defer to the FO.

I'm all for it if the pick is a DT. But getting another DE would be a waste of a pick at this point in time.

Steeldude
02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
campbell is small for a DT in the steelers' 3-4

albert will be gone before the 55th pick

Aussie_steeler
02-22-2008, 07:52 PM

I understand the logic you have applied across the board. It is very similar to what I drafted first time around. It meets nearly all needs and provides the possibility of three starters come mid season (campbell, albert and lichtensteiger) I think Albert would be a perfect steeler.

Dont know much about Franklin and I would be looking at a DT or SS possibly instead of WR.

I want a center to be taken but I am still not 100% sold on who. Velasco and Legursky appear to fit our style but I am moving more towards taking the best center available. At the moment I am thinking Pollack out of ASU. Mahan has gotta be getting nervous. Thats right he hears footsteps all the time.

Like the Boyd pick as well.

I agree it is around a 4 on your crapmeter. :thumbsup:

Rhee Rhee
02-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm all for it if the pick is a DT. But getting another DE would be a waste of a pick at this point in time.

thats what people said about the patriots grabbing richard seymour with their top 10 pick... he turned out pretty good....

Galax Steeler
02-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't see albert lasting that long if we are going to get him it will be in the first round.

yinzer-inseattle
02-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It was all good!

All of these players look good and bad on paper. So it's hard to get really cozy with the thought of drafting certain them, even if you dratl based on need. Thank goodness our coaches spend days looking and evaluating this talent.

I can't wait for the real draft in April.

Elvis
02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I have seen enough Miami, Fla games the past 25 years to know that I dont want Campbell this year. OG Brandon Albert would be a nice pick in the 2nd round in my opinion also and Mike Mayock is really high on this guy as well. I just think that Oline and Dline must have top priority in this years draft even though I wouldnt mind seeing us get Jeremy Lehman MLB in the early trade up 3rd round if he last that long.

MDSteel15
02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Campbell is lazy... I don't care if he's a "workout warrior" or not, he gives up on plays and not worth Steelers interest. :cheers: