PDA

View Full Version : Cowher is a hit in Brownstown!

OgDawg
02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Bill Cowher, the long-time coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, visited enemy territory today as the keynote speaker for the Cleveland Auto Show dealer's breakfast.

Cowher, who played for the Browns and later was an assistant under Marty Schottenheimer, stepped down as Steelers coach a year ago to spend time with his family. He was rumored as a possible candidate for the Browns job at the start of last season when there was speculation that Romeo Crennel might be fired.

In a question-and-answer session following his speech, Cowher was asked if he'd ever want to come back and coach in Cleveland.

"I'd love to come back," Cowher said. "If there's a place I'd like to come back to, this is it."

He quickly added, "Don't get me wrong. I'm not coming back."

Cowher, who worked as a pre-game host on CBS this past season, praised Crennel.

"Romeo has done the hard work and now he's reaping the rewards," Cowher said. "He's a great head coach and you (Browns fans) should support him."

As he finished his speech, Cowher received a standing ovation from the crowd. He was asked if he ever expected that to happen in Cleveland.

"No one would ever believe me if I told them it did," he said.

Source: http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/bill_cowher_is_a_hit_in_clevel.html

PisnNapalm
02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Why'd ya post it three times? Once wasn't good enough?

BlastFurnace
02-22-2008, 03:29 PM
He's going to coach again. My current guess is Carolina. If the Browns return to below .500 next season, Romeo could be on a short leash again and that might open up the door for Cowher. If it happens...oh well. It's like worrying about who an ex girlfriend is going to be dating after you have broken up...it's pointless.

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 04:38 PM
As he finished his speech, Cowher received a standing ovation from the crowd. He was asked if he ever expected that to happen in Cleveland.

It just goes to show that football fans have short memories.

In a question-and-answer session following his speech, Cowher was asked if he'd ever want to come back and coach in Cleveland.

"I'd love to come back," Cowher said. "If there's a place I'd like to come back to, this is it."

:blah:

Playing to home crowd......I think Mick Foley called them cheap pops.

Dino 6 Rings
02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
He'll be in Carolina, that's my guess as well. Once Gibbs left Washington early, it was clear that the Skins were going to miss out on the Cowher bidding starting in 09

fansince'76
02-22-2008, 06:05 PM

I'm sure his snobby wife would have something to say about that.

polamalu82
02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Well if he goes to the Browns we could kick his ass twice a year.:tt02:

jjpro11
02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
haha.. look at this guy's response. the funny thing is... that its true.. there are so many of us around here it scares browns fans.

Posted by cuzisaidso on 02/22/08 at 4:44PM

As an actual Cleveland Browns fan, I'm very disappointed in the reception that Cow-herd received. He shouldn't have even been allowed in this town. Steelers fans have way too much freedom and pride in this town. It's like colonist have arrived and decided "hey I want to build my house where your wigwam is...you and the rest of the tribe got to get off of my land"

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
haha.. look at this guy's response. the funny thing is... that its true.. there are so many of us around here it scares browns fans.

Posted by cuzisaidso on 02/22/08 at 4:44PM

As an actual Cleveland Browns fan, I'm very disappointed in the reception that Cow-herd received. He shouldn't have even been allowed in this town. Steelers fans have way too much freedom and pride in this town. It's like colonist have arrived and decided "hey I want to build my house where your wigwam is...you and the rest of the tribe got to get off of my land"

Ohio football fans (fans that root for Ohio teams anyway) are usually pretty much a joke and you can push them around whenever you want to.

SteelCityMan786
02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm sure his snobby wife would have something to say about that.

He's actually been rumored as a Possible successor to Paterno from what I have heard.

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 07:35 PM
He's actually been rumored as a Possible successor to Paterno from what I have heard.

:toofunny:

Paterno is never going to retire. Besides, if he was burned out coaching pro ball, he might have an honest to God mental breakdown coaching college ball.

TeeJay
02-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Bill Cowher, the long-time coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, visited enemy territory today as the keynote speaker for the Cleveland Auto Show dealer's breakfast.

Cowher, who played for the Browns and later was an assistant under Marty Schottenheimer, stepped down as Steelers coach a year ago to spend time with his family. He was rumored as a possible candidate for the Browns job at the start of last season when there was speculation that Romeo Crennel might be fired.

"Romeo has done the hard work and now he's reaping the rewards," Cowher said. "He's a great head coach and you (Browns fans) should support him."

Source: http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/bill_cowher_is_a_hit_in_clevel.html

Pfft.............

SteelCityMan786
02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
:toofunny:

Paterno is never going to retire. Besides, if he was burned out coaching pro ball, he might have an honest to God mental breakdown coaching college ball.

I was joking. But yeah, he'll still be staying at CBS. He's better off. analyzing games. Paterno will be head coach till he kicks the bucket.

TeeJay
02-23-2008, 03:56 AM

That's gonna go down well with his daughters then! Considering they were bought up wearing Black and Gold:helmet:....and his youngest is an excellent play caller!

That's one face off even Bill may lose!:jammin: :cheers:

Bill, you're a Steeler, don't even think of such nonsense!!

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't read much into that. When asked that question do you think he is really going to answer it like, "Hell no I'm not coming back here to coach."

revefsreleets
02-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Ohio football fans (fans that root for Ohio teams anyway) are usually pretty much a joke and you can push them around whenever you want to.

I'm an Ohio football fan, and you haven't made an effective point against me in a decade of Sunday's.

aclark99
02-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Where did you see this link or read that he was possibly next in line at Penn State?

Rhee Rhee
02-24-2008, 04:06 AM
But yeah, he'll still be staying at CBS. He's better off. analyzing games.

thats what i hope he does...

wouldn't likle to see him in a carolina panthers fleece...

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 11:20 AM
as the keynote speaker for the Cleveland Auto Show dealer's breakfast.

Uh yeah, let me know when he's at the Browns front office. Being spotted at a Cleveland Auto Show is a little different than sitting down at a desk and hammering out a contract.

I'd love to visit Vancouver again for a few days, it doesn't mean I'm going to uproot and start looking for a job in Vancouver.

There ya go. :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 11:21 AM
thats what i hope he does...

wouldn't likle to see him in a carolina panthers fleece...

That's the only place I could see him coaching in the pros if he should ever choose to comeback. But in reality, I think he loves being at CBS too much to leave.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm an Ohio football fan, and you haven't made an effective point against me in a decade of Sunday's.

41-14

38-24

Have a good day.

silver & black
02-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Generalize much? :rolleyes:

revefsreleets
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
41-14

38-24

Have a good day.

I believe many of the teams you earlier espoused in the season last year ended up in bowls equivalent to the "Meineke Car Quest Bowl", so, no, losing back-to-back NC games doesn't equate to effective points.

It's actually not even that great of an good effort, there, Billy Milligan...