PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Faneca

Dylan
02-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Who do you think Faneca will sign with and for how much?

pidots
02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
guess he's going to be a Bear next season

Glace
02-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I just hope we're not trying to clean up all this cap room to give both Ben AND faneca big contracts.

We can get awesome O-line production without breaking the bank on ONE guard.

polamalu82
02-22-2008, 05:06 PM
guess he's going to be a Bear next season

Thats what I'd put my money on. As for the contract. The o-linemen last year got a butt-load so I would say a ass-load.

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Faneca apparently will not be getting "Hutchinson money" according to this article in SI.com. The Steelers apparently are not the only team reluctant to break the bank to sign a 31 year old guard on the downslope of his career

Despite being the top guard available on the market, Alan Faneca may have a difficult time finding a team willing to meet his salary demands. The seven-time Pro Bowl lineman is rumored to be seeking a deal that surpasses Steve Hutchinson's deal (seven years, $49 million) from two years ago. While several teams would love to add Faneca to their lineup, his age (31) will deter teams from committing to a high-priced, long-term deal.

League officials expect Faneca to sign a deal that is four to five years in length, with average salaries near the $7 million range. Also, there is a rumor floating in league circles that the Eagles will emerge as a dark horse candidate to make a strong play. Supposedly, the Eagles are interested in having Faneca line up at guard, with two-time Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews moving to right tackle as a replacement for Jon Runyan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/02/22/notes/index.html

tony hipchest
02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
that would be a great move by the eagles. i said last year (when everyone was sure he would be a cardinal) to watch for the seahawks to be a player. i still think that might hold true. ive also heard that the rams would have the money and need.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-22-2008, 05:53 PM
As long as it is not in-division (unless back with us), I really don't give a damn.

polamalu82
02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Faneca apparently will not be getting "Hutchinson money" according to this article in SI.com. The Steelers apparently are not the only team reluctant to break the bank to sign a 31 year old guard on the downslope of his career

Despite being the top guard available on the market, Alan Faneca may have a difficult time finding a team willing to meet his salary demands. The seven-time Pro Bowl lineman is rumored to be seeking a deal that surpasses Steve Hutchinson's deal (seven years, $49 million) from two years ago. While several teams would love to add Faneca to their lineup, his age (31) will deter teams from committing to a high-priced, long-term deal.

League officials expect Faneca to sign a deal that is four to five years in length, with average salaries near the $7 million range. Also, there is a rumor floating in league circles that the Eagles will emerge as a dark horse candidate to make a strong play. Supposedly, the Eagles are interested in having Faneca line up at guard, with two-time Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews moving to right tackle as a replacement for Jon Runyan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/02/22/notes/index.html

Guess he won't get that fat contract. Sucks for him.

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Guess he won't get that fat contract. Sucks for him.

Yep - guess he will need to go work the register at Stop n Go to make ends meet on a 5 year deal for $35 million

19ward86
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
bears=40-50 mil

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I was kind of thinking the Saints might have something to say about it before all is said and done.

paw-n-maul-u
02-22-2008, 07:34 PM
and after all this. The best thing is, at this time LAST year, he would have gotten a HUGE contract. My, how one year makes a difference. Big bens sack #'s surely didn't help, and i didn't think faneca had a good year all around anyways.

Kemo move in. show us some nasty

Colon, guard please.

Simmons, center please.

Starks LT ... Smith to RT

Draft a first round OT, a mid round Center, and we're good to go.

In rounds 2 and 3, give Ben a tall WR, get a compliment to Willie, or add some depth at CB

TeeJay
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM

He's going to take the pay cut and stay for the fans and Pittsburgh, and show everyone just how much he loves the City..........(I have no smilie for that!)

Elvis
02-22-2008, 08:35 PM
:wink02: Lets see... Would I rather have Alen Faneca at 31 years old and just giving up play after play against himself and sign him to a Big Fat Contract, or draft or sign a stud young OG this offseason and really get my Moneys' Worth?
I dont think that there is any question to be answered folks....
Faneca whether or not I am the only one that has seen the plays that He Gives Up game after game or not, I am looking forward to seeing him in Chicago every playoff season that we are in and him and Urlacher are watching us..
:tt02:

Jeremy
02-22-2008, 08:59 PM
:wink02: Lets see... Would I rather have Alen Faneca at 31 years old and just giving up play after play against himself and sign him to a Big Fat Contract, or draft or sign a stud young OG this offseason and really get my Moneys' Worth?
I dont think that there is any question to be answered folks....
Faneca whether or not I am the only one that has seen the plays that He Gives Up game after game or not, I am looking forward to seeing him in Chicago every playoff season that we are in and him and Urlacher are watching us..
:tt02:

One problem with that....there won't be any young stud lineman signing in Pittsburgh.

rick723
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM

He's not going to be a Steeler so, I don't care if he signs with the Chittlandswitch Mudslinggers.

Rhee Rhee
02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
As long as it is not in-division (unless back with us), I really don't give a damn.

agreed agreed agreed...

as long as he doesn't go the browns, bengals or ravens i could honestly care less where he goes...

Galax Steeler
02-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Even if he did go to someone in our divsion the way he gave up plays last year we could just run right through him.

msafford
02-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Yep - guess he will need to go work the register at Stop n Go to make ends meet on a 5 year deal for $35 million

I'm not sure, but I think this might be sarcasm. :smile::wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Local Chicago stations are still saying that the Bears are going to be actively pursuing Faneca.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 08:47 AM
and after all this. The best thing is, at this time LAST year, he would have gotten a HUGE contract. My, how one year makes a difference. Big bens sack #'s surely didn't help, and i didn't think faneca had a good year all around anyways.

Kemo move in. show us some nasty

Colon, guard please.

Simmons, center please.

Starks LT ... Smith to RT

Draft a first round OT, a mid round Center, and we're good to go.

Bingo!!!! Mahan and Kemo should battle for the RG slot....couldnt agree with you more.
Might even grab a guard early in the draft if we can bring in a WR in FA.

FourThreeMafia
02-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Why do so many people want Simmons at center? We tried him there in the preseason and Colbert said it was a failed experiment. I personally dont think he'd be much better if any better at center than Mahan. Id honestly rather keep Mahan at center, or give Colon a shot.

lilyoder6
02-23-2008, 09:15 AM
we could even draft a center mid-to late in the draft and groom him into success.. but he'll have to be a big center...

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Why do so many people want Simmons at center? We tried him there in the preseason and Colbert said it was a failed experiment. I personally dont think he'd be much better if any better at center than Mahan. Id honestly rather keep Mahan at center, or give Colon a shot.

Mahan wasnt strong enough to stop bullrushers...I think that the mentality is that we need someone in that spot that can plant and keep those NT's out of the backfield. You do bring up a good point however in saying that Colon should be given a shot...6of one half a dozen of the other as far as I am concerned, Colon at Center with Mahan and Simmons at Guard would be worth a look.

Elvis
02-23-2008, 10:27 AM
One problem with that....there won't be any young stud lineman signing in Pittsburgh.
If the Steelers are willing to pay the money for a stud OG, who wouldnt want to come to Pittsburgh with the tradition that is here? The Steelers produce OL after OL that make the NFL Grade and if I were an OLineman and the Steelers came calling I would atleast listen to their offers wouldnt you? It aint like this is a rebuilding team either.. we have a Super Bowl team available here and what quality player wouldnt want that?
:helmet: