Weight: 320 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 2V
Hometown: Glynn, LA
High School: Catholic

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=775564

rbryan
02-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I'd be happy with him as our #1. Dude is a monster.

Hapa
02-23-2008, 08:52 AM
They could definitely use a nice tackle, especially with all the outside and tackle runs that they use with Willie.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 09:02 AM
I see 6 "blue chip" OT's in this years draft....
1) Jake Long
2) Jeff Otah
3) Chris Williams
4) Sam Baker
5) Ryan Clady
6) Carl Nicks

Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Collins, Tony Hills, & Mike McGlynn round out the remaining top ten (pending the combine and the pro-day workouts) and are just a tad below the first 6.

Ther is NO chance we get Long...but I would be happy with Otah, Williams, or Baker at #23.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I see 6 "blue chip" OT's in this years draft....
1) Jake Long
2) Jeff Otah
3) Chris Williams
4) Sam Baker
5) Ryan Clady
6) Carl Nicks

Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Collins, Tony Hills, & Mike McGlynn round out the remaining top ten (pending the combine and the pro-day workouts) and are just a tad below the first 6.

Ther is NO chance we get Long...but I would be happy with Otah, Williams, or Baker at #23.

I like 5 of the 6....I don't want Sam Baker...I think the dude is soft.....I would take Cherilus or Collins over Baker.....

Long and Clady will be gone by the time the Steelers pick in the first.....If Williams and Otah are both gone by the time the Steelers pick in the first....The Steelers should draft a DL or Brandon Albert....Then draft Collins in the 2nd if there....

Give It To Abercrombie
02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I would be thrilled with Williams at 23, but as said before, I think he will be gone along with Long, Clady and Otah. In my mind the choice then becomes Cherilus or Sims/Balmer for the D-line with Richardson or Collins at tackle in the 2nd.

yinzer-inseattle
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
For what it's worth, Williams is looking better than Otah at the combine today. Especially, in the mobility drills where Otah just looks straight-up stiff and immoblie. Williams on the other hand looks fluid and powerful. I know these are not real football situations and not a fulll-proof method fordetermining who will have the better career. But watching them work today, I'd take Williams.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I like 5 of the 6....I don't want Sam Baker...I think the dude is soft.....I would take Cherilus or Collins over Baker.....

Long and Clady will be gone by the time the Steelers pick in the first.....If Williams and Otah are both gone by the time the Steelers pick in the first....The Steelers should draft a DL or Brandon Albert....Then draft Collins in the 2nd if there....

Nicks is the player that I want to avoid...with only one true year of starting experience...but I like Heath Benedict in the later rounds.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Nicks is the player that I want to avoid...with only one true year of starting experience...but I like Heath Benedict in the later rounds.

I kind of agree on Nicks....But I still like him over Baker....

Heath Benedict is an interesting prospect....But I think he is better suited at OG then OT......But the Steelers do need some OG help also........

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I kind of agree on Nicks....But I still like him over Baker....

Heath Benedict is an interesting prospect....But I think he is better suited at OG then OT......But the Steelers do need some OG help also........

Not sure if you saw the article on how Benedict did at the senior bowl....

There was a slightly slow start in Monday?s practice, where Benedict let Alabama DE Wallace Gilberry get around him. That was the first matchup with Gilberry. The next three, Benedict stoned him ? in a drill that?s more suited to defensive players having the advantage.

Tuesday?s practice saw another solid day in which Benedict slid and moved well, showing off his versatility.

?I am looking to show I am athletic, too, not just a big bully,? he said.

He continued that work, playing with more of a nasty edge on Wednesday. Twice in a row he dominated Mississippi State LB Titus Brown, a speed rusher, and frustrated 245-pound Georgia Tech DE Darrell Robertson twice in a row and caused him to jump offside the third time. His best play of the day was picking up the rush of perhaps the best linebacker down here, USC?s Keith Rivers, and stopping him in his path. That earned a spirited slap of the hand with 49ers OL coach George Warhop.

Elvis
02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I have said all along I like Cheridous number one, but it looks like he is destined to be a ROT, which is fine, but we need a franchise LT in the 1st this year. The only way we take a RT number 1 is if the Steelers gets Max Starks resigned and feel comfortable enough to put him at LT
:tt02:

DACEB
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I love your optimism Elvis, we could only hope to draft someone so special that they actually start as a rookie at LT.

The only spot I see a rookie starting is at center.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I have said all along I like Cheridous number one, but it looks like he is destined to be a ROT, which is fine, but we need a franchise LT in the 1st this year. The only way we take a RT number 1 is if the Steelers gets Max Starks resigned and feel comfortable enough to put him at LT
:tt02:

This may give you some hope Elvis.

Cherilus has talent to play OLT but needs more repetitions
Pro Football Weekly
By Nolan Nawrocki
Feb. 21, 2008

OT Gosder Cherilus
Boston College senior
Ht: 6-6 5⁄8; Wt: 315; 40-time: 5.14

Upside: Shows the foot quickness, natural athleticism and arm length to play left tackle. Is very well-put-together for his size. Can cling to and eliminate defenders once he gets his massive hands on them. Shows the agility to pull and work up the field. Has an edge and shows a mean streak. Practices hard and takes the game seriously. Competitive, well-respected team leader.

Downside: Can be slow to process and react to movement. Shows some brain freezes ? does not pick up anyone when protection is rolled his way in a four-on-three situation. Needs reps to apply information from the board to the field. Not a great knee-bender. Often blocks out of a two-point stance and will play too tall. Does not finish consistently. Will cross his feet against upfield pass rushers. Inconsistency was exposed vs. Virginia Tech?s Chris Ellis. Stiff in the hips and ankles and is not quick to shuffle and slide laterally. Not a great communicator.
The way we see it: Struggled after moving from the right side to the left in a new scheme with new terminology. Needs repetitions at one position and never looked comfortable on the left side. Has all the physical ability to play left tackle if he can figure it out but likely will be moved back to the right side as a rookie.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Scouting+Combine/2008/rock022108.htm

brsteelers
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I think Cherilus, Wiliams, or Otah would do the job, though Otah may have the best upside. Nicks is interesting and if we didn't take a tackle in the first but decided to trade up in the second, might be an interesting choice as he has an upside as well. I'm becoming very interested in all the talk regarding Heath Benedict. I don't know anything about him.

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
from what i heard williams is a softie... but then again if u play o-line ur always tough as nails...

i saw a clip of him and i think it was red bryant or someone at the senior bowl fighting... he sort of just let bryant slap him on the head constantly and williams kept trying to back away and shy away.... based on what i saw i'd much rather take chilo rachal/branden albert/jeff otah with our first round draft pick