PDA

View Full Version : SB XL question...

Stu Pidasso
02-23-2008, 01:39 AM
This little thing has bothered me since the game. Why did Hines Ward get the MVP? In my opinion, other than the catch at the 3 yd line, and the TD catch, he really didn't do anything. Who do I think deserved it?

Not Ben. Horrible stats.

Not Bettis, not involved enough.

Fast Willie? Maybe, he had the long run, and stayed constant throughout the game.

I honestly believe that Randel El should have received the MVP award.

Thoughts? Opinions?

The Duke
02-23-2008, 02:45 AM
watch him closely during the game, he was making an impact on almost every play (maybe an exaggeration but still) , like catches with his finger tips, his usual blocking, rushed for about 20 yards on a play....... you know, he was being hines, keeping drives alive, hurting defenders.....

He was a warrior in the game, just like he usually is

he definitely deserved it imo, no one played with more heart in the game than him(except maybe jerome, but his performace wasn't spectacular)

if the steelers get to another super bowl with him I hope he gets it again, cause I know he will play with the same way he did in XL, like a warrior

I'm still bummed about his drop in the end zone though, lol

TeeJay
02-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Hines Ward, in line for the mantle of God, after Lambert and Bradshaw have finished with it. That's assuming Mean Joe will give it back!

But Hines' blocking, and his movement, and his catching got him the award and nicely so. Would have been uber if The Bus had gotten it, but that was never going to happen.

I just wish Randle EL was a Steeler still. I don't know the 'poliitics' of why he left., and prolly don't want to. It'll just hurt. But, I never used to worry on ST plays before he left.

Galax Steeler
02-23-2008, 05:39 AM
I would have to say ward like the duke said he was playing like a true warrior the whole game.

GBMelBlount
02-23-2008, 06:35 AM
I just wish Randle EL was a Steeler still. I don't know the 'poliitics' of why he left., and prolly don't want to. It'll just hurt. But, I never used to worry on ST plays before he left.

It would certainly be nice to have Randle El for special teams right now. As far as "politics," I had just thought he had received an offer he couldn't refuse.

fansince'76
02-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Hines had 5 receptions for 123 yards and a TD in a game which was poorly played by both teams overall. You think Randle El should have gotten it based on one pass, I assume? Because he really didn't do anything else that game - 3 receptions for 22 yards and 2 KO returns for 32 yards are hardly MVP-worthy numbers. Hines was the only one on the field that day that deserved MVP. If anything, SB XL was one of the easier SBs in recent memory to pick a MVP for.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Hines had 5 receptions for 123 yards and a TD in a game which was poorly played by both teams overall. You think Randle El should have gotten it based on one pass, I assume? Because he really didn't do anything else that game - 3 receptions for 22 yards and 2 KO returns for 32 yards are hardly MVP-worthy numbers. Hines was the only one on the field that day that deserved MVP. If anything, SB XL was one of the easier SBs in recent memory to pick a MVP for.

Agreed....The only two who could have possibly gotten consideration is Hines and Willie...Hines wins based on total achievment.

Hapa
02-23-2008, 07:46 AM
I think he definitely should have gotten MVP as getting 123 yards for a receiver is really good

Stu Pidasso
02-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I stand corrected. My apologies to Hines for doubting him. Thanks guys!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I stand corrected. My apologies to Hines for doubting him. Thanks guys!

Appreciate you bringing up the topic for discussion.:thumbsup:

slippy
02-23-2008, 09:06 AM
i want hines to get a second SB MVP; that would allow him to walk in as a first ballot HoFer.

Elvis
02-23-2008, 10:37 AM
While I was watching the game late in the 4th quarter I was wondering who they would give the mvp award to and I got on the computer and looked at all the stats and though that the mvp would have to be Ward. Just not much stats anywhere else. Willie had one good run and Ben was just not the Ben that everyone kept seeing in the play-offs. I dont know what happened in that deal, unless it was just Cowher not wanting to let Ben go and get the job done like he did in the play-offs. He said at halftime that Ben needed to settle down, well, if you havent settled down by halftime I dont know if your nerves are calm down. I would love to see Ben get us back to the Big Game and take home the MVP Award this time.
:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Agree with the Duke. He blocks very well. And on that Willie run I believe he tnhrough an important block. Also those 2 plays that you mention were very huge plays.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
i want hines to get a second SB MVP; that would allow him to walk in as a first ballot HoFer.

He already is a first ballot HOFer: 1st in Steelers history in receiving yards, TD receptions, and receptions. Not to mention Super Bowl MVP obviously. As for the next Super Bowl, I want Big Ben to get that award. He is by far the Steelers' franchise player.

fansince'76
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I just wish Randle EL was a Steeler still. I don't know the 'poliitics' of why he left., and prolly don't want to.

Very simple - Dan Snyder offered him a ridiculous amount of money in FA that the Rooneys thankfully didn't even try to match. I miss ARE as well and I wish him the best, but no way was or is he worth the kind of money Snyder threw at him.

The Duke
02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
He already is a first ballot HOFer

nah I don't think he is, at least not yet

another year or 2 of average seasons might be enough though

if he goes over at least 10000 yards he's definitely in imo

his reputation as the best blocking WR helps into HOF consideration, but currently it's not enough to be first ballot HOF

but another super bowl mvp might seal the deal :tt02:

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Agreed....The only two who could have possibly gotten consideration is Hines and Willie...Hines wins based on total achievment.

everyone is forgetting about alan faneca... no way willie woulda made that run w/o faneca making the block...

sherlock
02-24-2008, 01:57 AM
This thread got me to watch as much of SBXL and the games of that season on youtube as I could find
`Kin fantastic....did I miss out or what!!!!!
One of the things that struck me was how good Troy is.Last season I only saw him after he came back from injury and he probably wasn`t at his best.
Apologies for deviating from the subject but thanks for prompting me to get that seasons video!

Dino 6 Rings
02-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Had Ben hit a wide open Wilson, and taken the Steelers up 21-3, instead of short arming the ball and allowing it to be picked, (and then El makes the TD saving tackle, with great hussle, he was a true warrior as well in that game) Ben would have won the MVP, but since he didn't actually complete a TD pass, no way.

Ward was the most deserving. No one on defense was dominating enough to win it, as they played as a single unit and did it together. Porter never took the game over like he did in Indy, and no one else made that "game changing play" that it would have required to win it on the defensive side.

CanadianSteel
02-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I think if Wille had have gotten more carries (think he ended up with only 10 total) then he could of easily been the MVP as he would have had well over 100 yards along with the longest run in SB history.

Hines was a good choice otherwise, key pickup on a reverse that got the Offense into rythum late into first half. Great shoe string fingernail catch on third down, as well as game clinching TD catch.

Darkhorse - how about J Pezzy for talking Jeremy Stephen's into being his biatch and having an awful game ! :smile:

CargoJon
02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought the refs were the MVP of that game?

/sarcasm

My wife's idiot cousin is a seachickens fan and still whining about it when last I saw him...

LVSteelersfan
02-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I thought the refs were the MVP of that game?

/sarcasm

My wife's idiot cousin is a seachickens fan and still whining about it when last I saw him...

Who cares what seasquawks fans think? They did not do what they had to win the game. Period. And the so called questionable calls were really not questionable. They have no legs to stand on. STEELERS SUPER BOWL XL CHAMPIONS !!!!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: