PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may be interested in D. Smith

VTsteel
02-23-2008, 04:41 AM
John Clayton (ESPN) reports that Dwight Smith has been contacted by the Steelers and Lions. Minnesota cut Smith on Feb. 20.

Dwight Smith - Free Safety
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 5'10' / 201
DOB: 8/13/1978

Tomlin is familiar with this guy - So, I guess it makes a little sense with the uncertainty surrounding Ryan Clark.

The issue with this guy is that according toa police report, Smith admitted to an officer that he'd "just got done smoking some marijuana" after the trooper noticed a suspicious aroma emanating from Smith's vehicle. Smith has a history of off-field problems and could face a suspension following this incident. He was benched for two games last season

His league punishment (if there is one) wouldn't kick in until this coming season.

I'm not sure this guy has the proper character to positively impact our team.

Anyone else know anything about this guy?

GBMelBlount
02-23-2008, 05:30 AM
He's been averaging between 50-80 tackles and 3-4 interceptions per year the last 5 years.

Here's his career stats;

http://www.nfl.com/players/dwightsmith/profile?id=SMI231420

Galax Steeler
02-23-2008, 05:41 AM
If he don't have off the field problems I would say bring him in and give him a shot his stats ain't that bad.

Boomerang
02-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Could be wqrth a gamble.

Hapa
02-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I think it's worth a try, but I have trust in Ryan Clark.
He seems really hard working and a good team player, and after his hard year, he'll come back working even harder.

The Duke
02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Smith has a history of off-field problems

I really don't want someone like that on the team

if he is innocent then bring him in! let him battle for the FS spot with anthony and ryan

I still think anthony is going to finally mature, but some competition never hurts

or let him replace tyrone carter, you can never have enough good players on your team, and tyrone is not that goo of a player and is getting old

Elvis
02-23-2008, 10:24 AM
The Rooneys usually always make the right decisions when it comes to players like this and I dont see that changing anytime soon. That being said, I would wait and see what accumilates in this case and go from there.
:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh he smoked some weed so he is the antichrist ...lol Marvell Smith likes to hit on the magic herb also...lol Smith would be a vast upgrade over the aging Tyrone Carter......I like Anthony Smith and hopefully he matures this year....But still with Ryan Clarks health condition and Troy's on health issues the last few years then I think bringing in a guy like
Dwight Smith would be a smart move.....Plus Oct. 22, 2006 was the date of Troy's last INT....Something isn't right with Troy and the secondary needs play-makers...Smith like others have said has averaged 3-4 INTs a season....

RoethlisBURGHer
02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
At least he admited to it and didn't lie. Maybe a suspension would help him kick it. Save smoking the pot until after your career.

If he promises the Rooneys he won't do it again as long as he is a Steeler, then I can deal with him being a Steeler. We can't be a team full of choirboys now.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately, it wasn't just smoking a little reefer. He was also arrested for indecent conduct when he was found in a stairwell with a woman. He was also arrested for pulling a pellet gun on two fans at a McDonalds.

Should we wait to see what he does next? :coffee:

TackleMeBen
02-23-2008, 12:35 PM
We can't be a team full of choirboys now.

sure we can... :wink02:maybe he would fit in good with the bengals..lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Smoking herb and doing dirty things with a women....What a horrible person...He is right up there with Hitler...lol I'm so glad everyone is so perfect on this site....

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Smoking herb and doing dirty things with a women....What a horrible person...He is right up there with Hitler...lol I'm so glad everyone is so perfect on this site....

Left out pulling a pellet gun on two fans. Or wait, let me guess....."but, but, it wasn't a real gun"?

And yeah, doing dirty things with a woman in a public freakin' stairwell. Yeah, I don't want to see that nor would I want my kids to see it (if I had kids). It's called a bedroom or in the privacy of your own home/hotel.

I'm not stating I am perfect, but keep making those assumptions.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Left out pulling a pellet gun on two fans. Or wait, let me guess....."but, but, it wasn't a real gun"?

I'm not stating I am perfect, but keep making those assumptions.

Smith has had some issues but everybody does last time I checked....I think he could help the team and I'm willing to look past them to give Smith another chance....Santonio Holmes had some problems his rookie year and I'm so glad the Steelers didn't cut him...lol

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 12:44 PM
And if not breaking the law means I'm perfect, than I guess I am. Shame on me huh? How dare I follow the law? What am I thinking? What were my parents thinking?

I think I'm going to go out and rob a 7/11 and shoot the clerk just for the hell of it. Afterall, I can't be perfect. Why would I want to be that when it comes to the law?

Jesus, what a world.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, it wasn't just smoking a little reefer. He was also arrested for indecent conduct when he was found in a stairwell with a woman. He was also arrested for pulling a pellet gun on two fans at a McDonalds.

:coffee:

WOW!!!...I miss college.

Strangely enough....I was busted for getting stoned and naked in a McDonalds....covered only by two chinese folding fans.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
sure we can... :wink02:maybe he would fit in good with the bengals..lol

Nah, he has to pull a real gun, not a pellet gun that could be mistaken for a real gun and when he's shot by a cop his family turn arounds and screams lawsuit.

Bengals like thugs with a longer and more serious rap sheet. This guy is at Cowboy level right now.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
WOW!!!...I miss college.

Was he in college at the time of these arrests?

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
And if not breaking the law means I'm perfect, than I guess I am. Shame on me huh? How dare I follow the law? What am I thinking? What were my parents thinking?

I think I'm going to go out and rob a 7/11 and shoot the clerk just for the hell of it. Afterall, I can't be perfect. Why would I want to be that when it comes to the law?

Jesus, what a world.

What is this babbling mess?:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: You want a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering cookie since you never been arrested...Could care the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter less...lol

fansince'76
02-23-2008, 12:51 PM
WOW!!!...I miss college.

Strangely enough....I was busted for getting stoned and naked in a McDonalds....covered only by two chinese folding fans.

More info than I wanted. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
What is this babbling mess?:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: You want a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering cookie since you never been arrested...Could care the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter less...lol

Yes, I would like a cookie for not getting arrested on three different occasions. I'm proud to know that I'm not a scumbag. Thanks for the cookie buddy. :cheers::sofunny::toofunny:

Now do I go with the .38 or the .22 to the 7/11. Decisions, decisions.

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2008, 03:06 PM
If he don't have off the field problems I would say bring him in and give him a shot his stats ain't that bad.

I agree. But I hope we don't just start grabbing Ex Vikings guys. (Unless it is Adrian Peterson) just because Tomlin coached there.

lilyoder6
02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
if he is wiling to take a smal salary i would take him.. also i would think tomlin would know more about him since he was the def cord and the secondary coach..

aclark99
02-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Tomlin should know a lot about this guy because he coached him Minny and in Tampa. This guy was a good player when he was in Tampa. It seems like he might have a little baggage with him. I think this might be a low risk signing. I like Clark but I starting to think that Clark might not be the same.

Preacher
02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
With that record...

Go away and grow up.

If you put your pot smoking and child antics ahead of your career, why would we want to risk any money on you?

Please, no D. Smith...

And Please... don't throw Holmes into this. Fact is, Holmes came out of college, and arrested for what was essentially a silly violation... and if I remember right, they were dropped. Furthermore, the domestic disturbance was also dropped.

Those cases were VERY different.

aclark99
02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
There are more players on our team that get into trouble than what is public knowledge. I believe one right now is in trouble for not paying taxes - Townsend. Just to name a few Davenport, Holmes, etc. these are just the recent. I believe Townsend got into trouble before the season on top of Cedric Wilson's chick. Antways, my point is if Tomlin feels this guy has cleaned up his act and he knows that then it can only be a bonus for the team if he pans out if not there nothing to lose. Have faith in our coach and our organization when it comes to evaluating personnel.

Mistah_Q
02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Smith would be a vast upgrade over the aging Tyrone Carter....
I think you hit the nail on the head right here, if D.Smith were brought in and established himself as the starter opposite Troy, great, but the intention would seem to be to replace Tyrone Carter, not the others, and maybe insurance against Clark's health

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
There are more players on our team that get into trouble than what is public knowledge. I believe one right now is in trouble for not paying taxes - Townsend. Just to name a few Davenport, Holmes, etc. these are just the recent. I believe Townsend got into trouble before the season on top of Cedric Wilson's chick. Antways, my point is if Tomlin feels this guy has cleaned up his act and he knows that then it can only be a bonus for the team if he pans out if not there nothing to lose. Have faith in our coach and our organization when it comes to evaluating personnel.

Yeah, and look what situation Davenport finds himself in right now....a court date.

Townsend supposedly got into a fight. All charges were dropped. It sounded more like a few punks looking to pick a fight with a famous athlete. Witnesses said he wasn't even involved in the fight.

How exactly is it Wilson's fault that his g/f went crazy, he left the situation and she decided to fire shots in the house?

Get some better examples....

Like Bam Morrison, nevermind, the Rooney's cut him directly after he plead guilty. Bad example I guess.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 07:57 PM
With that record...

Go away and grow up.

If you put your pot smoking and child antics ahead of your career, why would we want to risk any money on you?

Please, no D. Smith...

And Please... don't throw Holmes into this. Fact is, Holmes came out of college, and arrested for what was essentially a silly violation... and if I remember right, they were dropped. Furthermore, the domestic disturbance was also dropped.

Those cases were VERY different.

I agree. If it were a one time thing in college, then no problem.

Plus, I didn't see a problem with Ryan Clark. I thought he was pretty damn solid. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to pretend how I think Clark will respond to his injury, but it was freak injury. It's not like the guy has a lingering knee injury.

aclark99
02-23-2008, 07:58 PM
83-steeler-43 - remember it takes two to tango. If these guys were stand up athletes then they would have never put themselves into that situation in the beginning. When did Townsend become famous? Please refresh my memory was he in the pro-bowl or all pro. If you really know your team then you would know Townsend is ni trouble for not paying his taxes. Get it correct - it is Bam Morris not Bam Morrison.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
83-steeler-43 - remember it takes two to tango. If these guys were stand up athletes then they would have never put themselves into that situation in the beginning. When did Townsend become famous? Please refresh my memory was he in the pro-bowl or all pro. If you really know your team then you would know Townsend is ni trouble for not paying his taxes. Get it correct - it is Bam Morris not Bam Morrison.

4 out of 6 witnesses said Townsend was not involved. The other 2 stated they did not see who was involved. The guy didn't do anything wrong.

I do know Townsend is in trouble for taxes. I read the tribune and PPG every morning. I'm actually waiting to see how it unfolds before I make assumptions about something I know nothing about.

Sorry about Bam's name. Truth be told, I really put him out of my mind after he was arrested and put in jail. The guy is a bum, I don't bother to remember him or his name, but thanks for the refresher.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2008, 08:20 PM
If you really know your team then you would know Townsend is ni trouble for not paying his taxes.

Also, just a warning for you. It was only reported by the Tribune-Review. The PPG has not broke the story, so some fans may not be aware of the situation. Just giving you the heads up before you make the assumption on who you think knows the team and who doesn't know the team.

They may not pass your test.... :yawn::rolleyes:

aclark99
02-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Nobody is making assumptions. Let the facts stand for themselves. All I am saying don't judge a book by its cover. D. Smith might actually help us out. I am sure that if these rumors are true there will be something in the contract that will protect the steelers. Once again, I will trust our front office in these decisions. Smith is a better safety than what we have at this point. A. Smith you can't count on, T. Carter is a back-up and R. Clark is the best of those three hence that is why he starts. It is not the injury that concerns its the blood disorder that does which might possibly end his career. His status is unknown. We needs a safety as a safety valve.

lilyoder6
02-23-2008, 09:21 PM
i think ppl are giving up on anthony smith too quickly... he has th epotential to be great.. just give him more time than a game or two

aclark99
02-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Anthony Smith was a hit his rookie year because he made a couple of good hits. He did have a chance in training camp and during the regular season to show what he's got but it didn't really pan out to well for him. I believe this will be his make or break year. Screw the guarantee's - play ball a and knock some heads off!!!!

The Duke
02-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Screw the guarantee's - play ball a and knock some heads off!!!!

yeah :tt02:

if only anthony had willie parker's attitude, everyone on steeler nation could tell him he sucks so he'd come to the field and start proving everyone wrong and knocking Brady's head out

....lol, now I hope that happens

willie should really have a talk with anthony

Galax Steeler
02-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I believe anthony smith will come around and be a good player just needs to learn the system and not be over aggresive.

lilyoder6
02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
me personally i hope he beats ouyt the comp in the pre-season to get the starting job.. other than his pass coverages (which is pretty decent) he is a good player who hits... so i would like him to start and get better in the pass cov